Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2015, 16:39   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guess I spoke about the (lack of) niggles too soon. The blue&me seems to have conked off and it seems there is no extended warranty coverage for it. A replacement would blow a 14k hole in the pocket.
I've read of one case where taking out the dysfunctional B&M unit and cleaning it made it start working.

If the circuitry on the board is damaged , taking it to a computer shop may help.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 20th September 2015 at 16:41.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 16:47   #497
Senior - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Guess I spoke about the (lack of) niggles too soon. The blue&me seems to have conked off and it seems there is no extended warranty coverage for it. A replacement would blow a 14k hole in the pocket.
What's the issue with Blue And Me?
Non responsive, totally dead?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 13:56   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've read of one case where taking out the dysfunctional B&M unit and cleaning it made it start working.

If the circuitry on the board is damaged , taking it to a computer shop may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What's the issue with Blue And Me?
Non responsive, totally dead?
Need to check it in detail. The issue was with odometer flashing, which didn't disappear on its this time. Disconnecting battery terminals didn't help either.

Fiat service did not perform detailed check yet. Seemed like the usual replacement (instead of repair) advice that advisors are trained to give. Hence asked them to cancel that work till I confirm. Will check it next weekend.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:18   #499
Team-BHP Support

105,000 kms now.

And nothing to report other than the Bluetooth issue. I've decided not to replace the blue& me unit unless FIAT had a cost effective solution. Else the HU will get changed to an aftermarket system with Bluetooth, which can do some justice to the PHD Audiophile System component setup.

Skipped the regular service at 105k, since Vecto Motors conned me and charged a service at 97k. Will do the next service at 108.5k, followed by 120k if all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-image.jpeg  

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 02:51   #500
BHPian

Hi there,
I've had similar issues with Blue & Me, and could not get it to work, despite hooking it up to the scanner for a reset (that should be the first thing you try), as well as showing it to very skilled electricians here in Delhi. It's a very complicated piece of machinery.

What I did understand was that fiat issued a rather silent recall for a rubber strip to be added above the box so that it would not be affected by moisture from the air conditioner. My electrician had informed me that damage was linked to moisture.

I wrote an email to FIAT stating that this strip had not been added to my car, and they replaced the product FOC in a four year old car. Please see if your case is similar. Otherwise too, in earlier exchanges, they were willing to grant a 50% discount since I argued that the product witnessed no wear and tear. Of course, the car was then under extended warranty.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need details. I can email my exchange with them to you.
Old 9th October 2015, 09:51   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I hope this helps. Let me know if you need details. I can email my exchange with them to you.
Thank you. Even I have extended warranty coverage for another few months. Would really appreciate if you could provide the details. Will provide the email id via PM.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:00   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issue was with odometer flashing, which didn't disappear on its this time. Disconnecting battery terminals didn't help either.
I faced a similar issue yesterday. It was there for few minutes(and 15 Kms), the ODO was blinking, CD was not getting detected, iPod was not getting detected but FM was working. Everything started working as normal after I stopped the car and restarted. What could be the reason for this?
Old 15th October 2015, 13:02   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I faced a similar issue yesterday. It was there for few minutes(and 15 Kms), the ODO was blinking, CD was not getting detected, iPod was not getting detected but FM was working. Everything started working as normal after I stopped the car and restarted. What could be the reason for this?
That is quite normal. Faced this 'niggle' some 5-6 times in the last 100k kms. However, it disappears on its own. If it doesn't, a battery reset will help. I'm not very sure why it occurs though! Google did not reveal satisfactory results - though its somehow related to the blue&me.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 10:53   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1,00,000 kms photoshoot

Had some fun shooting the car soon after the 1L kms milestone. Here are the results, and how it looks now. All stock except for the music system, which anyways can't be figured out from outside.
The car looks great and hats off to maintaining it so well. Having the habit of keeping cars over the 1,00,00 mark I know the effort that goes into keeping it spic and span.

Quote:
I like the OEM mats better than the likes of 3M noodle mats. The driver side mat has lost its battle against my woodland shoes, although all others still remain in good condition. .
Same here too. OEM may be a bit more expensive but I simply love my Polo OEM mats. Some manufacturers like Hyundai and Maruti seem to have stopped the practive of offering OEM mats on their lower models as least. The dealer freebies mats seem to do everything except protect dirt from getting onto the carpet below.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:40   #505
Team-BHP Support

Almost decided that the stock head unit is on its way out, and the legendary Pioneer 80PRS is going to come in. Waiting for the price quotes.

Any suggestions if the blue and me error (odo flashing) would disappear if I just disconnect it?
Old 28th December 2015, 08:32   #506
Team-BHP Support

1,10,000 kms update:

1,10,000 kms update:

Crossed the 1.1L kms milestone yesterday. Thought of penning down few updates.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20151227_200821.jpg

Some boring statistics:

Number of days: 1386 (~ 3 years 9 months)
Average running: ~ 79.37 kms / day.

The last 10k kms were covered in 127 days.

Niggles faced:

1. Loose link rod @ 1500 kms.
2. a/c issue @ 50,000 kms.
3. a/c wiring issue @ 66,000 kms due to RATS.

4. Blue & Me issue @ 1,04,000 kms:

Major issue was with the blue&me system which gave up on me, and I ended up using the opportunity to upgrade the head unit to Clarion CZ703A. More details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-cz703a-4.html

Service Experiences:

Been lazy to write this down, as I haven't had good experiences with service recently, the most recent one being the only exception. Its not awfully bad yet, but an unsuspecting customer can be really billed for all that he is worth!

Would need to start with the 90,000 kms service already documented here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3682424

Service Experience #15 - Scheduled Service@ 90,000 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ***1/2
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Enthusiastic SA tried to push the 60k service schedule (which includes replacement of all fluids). It is another story that I would have opted for it anyways. I was also charged for diagnostic tool even though no errors were shown on the MID.

Service Experience #16 - Paid Service@ 97,000 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *----

Things went all wrong here!

The scheduled service as per FIAT will only be coming up at the 105k kms mark. However, I thought of getting the engine oil changed and drove the car to Vecto. Out of the many things that went wrong, some main points were-

1. Full paid service was done on the car without my confirmation, and billed for it.
2. Work completed before noon, but was made to wait till around 5pm for the billing. SA mentioned issues with the CRM system and that he couldn't close the billing.
3. By evening - I was given a manual bill with the promise that the actual bill would be sent via email later. This included payment for glow pugs that were replaced partially under warranty (and would be re-embursed later once warranty approved).
4. Paid the inflated bill amount on the manual bill since I thought its mainly to the glow plugs. However, when the bill arrived the next day - realized that the amount was almost 3k more than the bill. And also, was charged for service. And SA charged items like 3 rear suspension bushes etc (Wonder if he put for the spare wheel too! ).

SA wrote paid service in the job card. I made him strike it off and write engine oil change. And still they went ahead with service. How bad can that be!
5. The extra amount charged was refunded after writing a mail to Mr. Channabasappa. But this hasn't included the price charged extra for service and wrong parts.

Service Experience #17 - Brake Pad replacement and blue&me issue@ 104,000 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****-

Nothing much to mention here as only the above mentioned work was done. SA checked and informed that the blue&me unit needed replacement and would cost north of 13k including labour. Thought it was a joke for such a poor quality audio - so did not go for it.

Costs for brake pads were as below -

Labour for brakepads replace - Rs 520.41/-
Brake Pad + set - Rs 3455/-
Clips - Rs 248/-

Brake Pads - 4th set running now (Replaced at 38k & 68k and 104k kms).
Brake Disks - 2nd set running.

Service Experience #18 - Paid Service@ 1,09,500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ***--

Since the last service was done at 97k, I thought I'd do this one a bit late so that the next scheduled service can be at 120k kms.

Service was done in a quick and efficient manner. However, still need to deduct some points for the SA who tried to push 'all fluids change', 'brake pad cleaning' etc. Asked him to open the previous job cards and explain me the necessity of these services at the current odo reading and he kept quiet.

Was clearly mentioned on the job card only to wash the engine compartment and underbody. Still they went ahead with a full wash and interior cleaning. Did not attempt to bill it though! Good then. Complimentary services.

I had requested for a timing chain replacement, but one of the required parts was off stock although they did try hard to arrange it. Timing chain feels fine on checking though. Will get it done with the new model timing chain sometime in Jan when parts arrive.

Still a decent experience with Vecto, but you really have to keep an eye on the job card and the billing.

Paid Service Labour - Rs 1359/-
Oil Filter - Rs 432/-
Filtering Element - Rs 431/-
Fuel Filter - Rs 1775/-
Air Filter - Rs 221/-
Engine Oil - Rs 1920/-
Consumables - Rs 150/-

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th December 2015 at 08:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 23:54   #507
Team-BHP Support

Drove a wolf remapped car for the first time last week. The car belonging to a popular BHPian who should be announcing the modifications soon.

Map 3 was brilliant. Excellent drive ability with good performance improvement. Easy 100 with light accelerator inputs. Linea feels effortless, almost like you're driving the Suzuki version of the multijet on a Swift.

Other maps didn't impress as much in the short drive. Also refinement has gone down across maps. 3 is comparatively better, but worse than earlier stock tune.

How does it compare with the race dynamics tune? Well, map 3 was more driveable compared to the box, while having a nice mid range as well. The tune is not as punchy on the top end as the P2 mode of the box though. However, it seems the tuners haven't played with the rail pressure and that should be a good point for long term reliability. There is also another map4 for top end performance which I haven't tried. Map3 however is one of the best tunes of the 1.3 MJD I've driven.

Thinking about putting the RD box back in the car now. It was put up for sale due to my laziness in plugging it back. But I'm seriously tempted now.

Meanwhile, mile munching continues..
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-image.jpeg  

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 12:08   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Map 3 was brilliant. Excellent drive ability with good performance improvement. Easy 100 with light accelerator inputs. Linea feels effortless, almost like you're driving the Suzuki version of the multijet on a Swift.
Now this statement brings some interest in me for a remap. I always thought that RPM:Speed ratio remains the same even after the remap and its the time taken to reach those RPM/Speed will be quicker after remap.

Quote:
Meanwhile, mile munching continues..
Congratulations on achieving another milestone

Had it happened after two days, even the date would have been 11.
Old 13th January 2016, 12:15   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Now this statement brings some interest in me for a remap. I always thought that RPM:Speed ratio remains the same even after the remap and its the time taken to reach those RPM/Speed will be quicker after remap.
The ratios dont change and the RPM/Speed ratio remains the same. But how the car behaves to the throttle inputs differ vastly. Map2 is perfect for city not too much of torque and no jumping ahead after releasing the cluth. Its smooth and has very little lag. Map 3 is versatile, it can manage city traffic and highways is a bliss. The roll on acceleration is just brilliant.

After all this, even the updated stock map feels lousy now .
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 12:33   #510
h14
BHPian

Nice to see 6 digits on the odo! Keep munching

PS. I've clocked a little over 35000 after the remap and I'm loving it every single time on the highway!
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed