Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 14:15   #646
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I have done this route at night (around 2 am) on a two wheeler, found it safe. Only concern is no shops/hotels open in case you are hungry or you have a puncture to fix.
Thanks KP. Quite true regarding the facilities. Even a good petrol bunk (company owned and with well maintained restrooms) can be had only at Madurai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
An evening-sundown drive of Tenkasi-Tirumangalam is not recommended. It sees heavy traffic resulting in average speeds in the order of 30 kmph. Keep options like Tenkasi-Tirunelveli or Puliyangudi-Kazhugumalai-Sankarankoil-Kovilpatti or Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar will help cause in case traffic goes bad.
Thank you. How about the road conditions?

Speaking of Srivilliputtur, I saw the Palkova shops opposite to the temple, but went a bit ahead by the time my slow Tamil reading skills clicked. Thought there would be more shops further ahead inside the town, but I was wrong.

Something to remember next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
c_d

Any chance that the new bike is causing you back trouble ?
Hey Eddy,

That would be the last suspect for me, because -

1. My history of backpain precedes the bike purchase. Two days before the unofficial saddlesore run to Trivandrum on the bike, I was on sick leave due to backpain. Did the ride with pain killers and spray in the backpack but never needed it. Came out better than at the start.

2. Ergonomics are perfect on the bike, and almost like a commuter. A big Splendor would not be an exaggeration. The much hyped suspension is very good as well.

3. Recently I've been using it only for the occasional weekend rides - not exceeding 4 hours a week, whereas the car is used at an average of 2 or 3 hours per day and the office chair is used almost 8 hours per day.

My exercise has been limited to the morning walks in the park, and I will be trying Yoga soon to see if it helps.
Old 17th August 2017, 15:08   #647
Senior - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about the road conditions?
Arun Josie himself has posted about Tirunelveli-Tenkasi too in the same update. His is more recent than what I have done. Its more circuitous, but would avoid the entire NH208 stretch completely.

I had done Srivilliputhur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar. Srivilliputhur-Sivakasi is narrow but far less traffic.Sivakasi-Virudhunagar is wider, but there are annoying speed breakers to watch out for. Traffic was mild. The road conditions were great.

There's only a partial update upto Sankarankoil stretch here.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 09:36   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ergonomics! Back Pain!
It can also happen when you seriously try to find justification to upgrade the car Just kidding!

Quote:
Very thankful to his suggestion as the road in itself was brilliant, as the pics below would suggest. As of now - with the Marthandam section being under construction, it makes a lot more sense to take this route instead.
Glad you liked this route

Adding to marthandam flyover work, flyover work at Parvathipuram too has started, so this route is going to be a pain to travel all the hours of the day.

Quote:
The highlighted signboard read - "Toll - 1 km"!
I faced this torture once and since then, I try my best to avoid peak hours during long weekends.

Quote:
An evening-sundown drive of Tenkasi-Tirumangalam is not recommended. It sees heavy traffic resulting in average speeds in the order of 30 kmph. Keep options like Tenkasi-Tirunelveli or Puliyangudi-Kazhugumalai-Sankarankoil-Kovilpatti or Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar will help cause in case traffic goes bad.
Tenkasi - Tirunelveli and Tenkasi - Sankarankoil will help to cut down the 2L distance but time-wise it won't make much difference. I am not sure about the truck traffic though.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-capturiiiie.jpg
Old 18th August 2017, 10:10   #649
Team-BHP Support

Interior Cleaning -

Meanwhile, when at Trivandrum - I got a chance to do a good round of interior cleaning and vacuuming for both the Punto and the Xcent. Some pictures of the Punto below -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813165636_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813170550_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813162805_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813163041_800.jpg

Concern Areas -

However, all is not well and the driver footwell, along with the seats have started to show their age. Driver footrest area has visible dust that refuses to get picked with the vaccum cleaner, whereas the seats, although clean, has started to look a bit light grey'ish as opposed to their natural dark grey colour.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813164810_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813165620_800.jpg

3M Germikleen treatment / DIY?

The last time proper detailing was done for the interior was around 90k kms ago at 3M (Germikleen). Haven't decided whether to repeat the Germikleen treatment, or do a DIY with products like Meguiars / Sonax Carpet & Interior Cleaner?

Looks simple enough from some of the videos on youtube, though not sure if the actual effort required will be anywhere close to what they show in the videos.

Enter the Dragon -

While the interior cleaning was going on, noticed this guy sitting on the antenna and enjoying it. Dragonflies have this peculiar habit of sitting on the same perch, flying back to it even if slightly disturbed and this helped me take some good shots of it. Please excuse the quality of the mobile cam, but then again - mobile cameras have indeed come a long way. (Please ignore the dust on the antenna. This was after the 800km onward drive to Trivandrum).

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813121734b_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170813122532b_800.jpg

Proklear Rain Repellant Nano Glass Shield Coating -

I had earlier posted the DIY application of the coating here. More than 3 months later, I was really surprised to find the coating working very effectively during this drive down to Trivandrum. Will do a re-application after the next service since the wiper blades also need to be changed this time. The durability is not bad at all, considering the price of the product and the amount of times I have applied it with the same small bottle.

A short video of the coating in action below -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th August 2017 at 10:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 13:28   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Tenkasi - Tirunelveli and Tenkasi - Sankarankoil will help to cut down the 2L distance but time-wise it won't make much difference.
This was specifically to avoid the evening traffic on NH208, when it was a royal pain. The 80 km between Srivilliputhur to Tenkasi bypass alone took 3 hrs (1730 to 2030) which is quite off from what GMaps estimates. I do remember mild truck traffic between Tenkasi and Sankarankoil (lesser than NH208), not sure beyond it.

For broad daylight, NH208 was very much doable. The traffic was not as bad as what I said above.

The advantage of the NH7 section south of Madurai is that it allows one to do unspeakable averages for most part of the day
Old 18th August 2017, 13:47   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Concern Areas -

However, all is not well and the driver footwell, along with the seats have started to show their age. Driver footrest area has visible dust that refuses to get picked with the vaccum cleaner, whereas the seats, although clean, has started to look a bit light grey'ish as opposed to their natural dark grey colour.
Fixable, both the appearance and floor dampening to bring it back to shape and color. Let me know when you are ready. It will need a minor surgery

Quote:
3M Germikleen treatment / DIY?

The last time proper detailing was done for the interior was around 90k kms ago at 3M (Germikleen). Haven't decided whether to repeat the Germikleen treatment, or do a DIY with products like Meguiars / Sonax Carpet & Interior Cleaner?

Looks simple enough from some of the videos on Youtube, though not sure if the actual effort required will be anywhere close to what they show in the videos.
Interior cleaning is a back breaking effort, if it was as easy as in the video, I would have ended up cleaning the interiors every week.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2017 at 23:08. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post (repetition).
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 10:33   #652
Team-BHP Support

1,50,000 kms

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_5306_800.jpg

Crossed the 150k milestone yesterday.

Number of days:
1987 days (5 years, 5 months & 8 days) since purchase.

Average Usage: 75.5 kms /day.
Time taken for the last 10k kms: 146 days @ 68.5 kms/day.

Major Milestones:

11 March 2012 - Purchase.
10 January 2013 - 25,000 kms.
17 October 2013 - 50,000 kms.
02 October 2014 - 75,000 kms.
21 August 2015 - 1,00,000 kms.
13 August 2016 - 1,25,000 kms.
18 August 2017 - 1,50,000 kms.

With hopefully many more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
It can also happen when you seriously try to find justification to upgrade the car Just kidding!
Thats a long topic in itself, ain't it? Although you are aware of the conclusion - will pen down my thoughts soon. I've been too active in SCross facelift / Compass and Nexon threads recently, that even I need to pen it down about the final outcome.

Quote:
The advantage of the NH7 section south of Madurai is that it allows one to do unspeakable averages for most part of the day
With the Punto - I mostly maintain a cruising speed of 100 kmph (Occasionally 120 on expressways), which can be maintained on well laid out and deserted TN two lane highways as well. Hence this advantage is mostly ruled out for me.

The days of unspeakable average speeds seem long gone, for me. I prefer constant cruising speeds more than speed bursts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Fixable, both the appearance and floor dampening to bring it back to shape and color. Let me know when you are ready. It will need a minor surgery
Nice. Sure KP. Will do.

1.5L kms in 5 years - Living To Drive!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_5314_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 18:45   #653
Team-BHP Support

Booked service at Vecto Motors for this once!

Had called up the new FCA service station near to Yeshwantpur, but was told that it's for Jeep service.

Work Expected -
  • Engine oil and oil filter change.
  • Air and Cabin air filter change.
  • Front right suspension needs to be checked. Getting thud sounds over potholes.
  • Both the front wipers require a change.
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:00   #654
Team-BHP Support

Issues faced + Service Experience #23 - Major General Service @ 1,50,800 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****-
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

The last major service which requires a change of all oils and fluids (Including power steering oil, brake fluid, transmission oil etc) was done at the 90k kms service. Company recommended interval was 60k kms, however earlier I had followed a 30k interval, which was later skipped.

Hence I was pleasantly surprised when the SA at Vecto went through the service record thoroughly and pointed this out. Infact, this resonates with the overall attitude change that I noticed there, probably due to the fact that they have way less cars coming in these days, as compared to the situation last year. Infact, at the end of it - told the SA on the face too, that because of their earlier attitude - many of us shifted base to Salem for service - and if such good service levels continue - I don't see a reason to drive down to another district every time.

Anyways, overall a good experience. SA was assigned on time, all points noted (and all unwanted things denied straightaway - stuff like Engine flush, car wash and polish, wheel balancing and alignment, error code diagnostics, brake cleaning etc), vehicle was taken inside for service without much delay, and the service was completed in around 2 hours flat!

Issues -

The thud sound from the suspension was diagnosed to be a weak lower arm on the driver side, and the passenger side is starting to show weakness as well. However - the part is NOT available.

That said, they were quick to assure that the part is already in transit as per earlier orders and should be available by next weekend.

Billing -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-150kservice_2.jpg

Service History -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-150kservice_1.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-150kservice_3.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 14:18   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

May be I overestimated them by giving a 4/5. Whereas it should be a 2.5/5 or lower.

Reasons?

1. No news of the lower arm spares yet. It's been almost 2 1/2 weeks now. Will seek elsewhere if they don't have it by tomorrow.

2. Just noticed this yesterday while washing the car. The irritating sticker I had got removed with great difficulty sometime back, is back on the glass with all its glory. I missed it all these days!

Wonder what makes them think they have the rights to stick their advertisements on customer cars without seeking their permission.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20170919_141547.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 22:58   #656
Team-BHP Support

Issues faced + Service Experience #24 - Suspension lower arm replacement @ 1,52,000 kms.

Quote:
May be I overestimated them by giving a 4/5. Whereas it should be a 2.5/5 or lower.

Reasons?

1. No news of the lower arm spares yet. It's been almost 2 1/2 weeks now. Will seek elsewhere if they don't have it by tomorrow.
Yesterday, I received a call from the SA that the parts have arrived. Went and got them fitted today morning itself. Had started from home by 8AM, but due to unexpected traffic conditions - reached only around 11 AM. The place was surprisingly crowded, possibly due to the upcoming festival holidays. Still, they were good enough to get the work done immediately and deliver the car around 12:45 PM.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-lowerarm1.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-lowerarm2.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-lowerarm3.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 23:51   #657
BHPian

@CrAzY dRiVeR

Congratulations on the milestone!

I have a 2015 Punto EVO MJD myself run about 31K.

@ 150K how is the chassis holding up ? and how are the rattles and the squeaks ?

Even after babying the car around, I feel there are quite a few rattles, and some Flex when going over uneven Ramps. Lil worried about the long run, I intend to keep the car for 1-1.5L kms.

Thanks.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:00   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
@ 150K how is the chassis holding up ? and how are the rattles and the squeaks ?
No issues noticed with the chassis and all till date. A couple of rattles are there in the car - primarily from near the center console section ever since the dashboard was opened up for a/c console warranty replacement - but these are very less compared to the age of the car.

I clearly remember my WagonR having multiple times more rattles than this when it was brand new. Hence can't complain about it here.

However, the car has done 1.53L kms now and I had a particularly bad week this time, and the week is not over yet! Will write the experience shortly.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:12   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder what makes them think they have the rights to stick their advertisements on customer cars without seeking their permission.
Next time when they put a sticker, just take a print out of bill saying advertising charge of Rs 10,00,000. . You won't be bothered afterwards.

Quote:
Issues faced + Service Experience #24 - Suspension lower arm replacement @ 1,52,000 kms.
Brake pads replacement at roughly 35k km in your case. Does this figure vary on highways and city? My punto primarily does highway driving and the SA has said the first change should be at 45k km. The Abarth has done 34k as of now.

Regarding oil changes, I have a feeling that changing it at 10k km makes sense. I haven't yet observed a drastic deterioration in the quality, but after every servicing, the car feels a lot more fresh. Would you recommend a 10k interval or something like 7.5k for the Tjet? Car is 1.5 years old.

Once again, your detailed ownership thread is motivating me and giving me the confidence to hold the car for eternity .
Old 16th November 2017, 13:50   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Next time when they put a sticker, just take a print out of bill saying advertising charge of Rs 10,00,000. . You won't be bothered afterwards.

Brake pads replacement at roughly 35k km in your case. Does this figure vary on highways and city? My punto primarily does highway driving and the SA has said the first change should be at 45k km. The Abarth has done 34k as of now.

Regarding oil changes, I have a feeling that changing it at 10k km makes sense. I haven't yet observed a drastic deterioration in the quality, but after every servicing, the car feels a lot more fresh. Would you recommend a 10k interval or something like 7.5k for the Tjet? Car is 1.5 years old.

Once again, your detailed ownership thread is motivating me and giving me the confidence to hold the car for eternity .
The petrol engines use full synthetic oil and it should be good enough for 10K kms. So the 10K kms interval may coincide with the 1 year interval as well. No harm changing it at 10K kms, for MJD, 8k kms is more like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks