Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 00:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bugs

The DSG issues start again! Glad to hear that your car is back now

It was good on Skoda's part to replace it under warranty though the dealer attitude hasn't changed much.The only weak-link in the ownership experience. It was the problem before, and its unfortunate that Skoda hasn't done much to change that and it still remains.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:25   #17
BHPian

re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bugs

I really wouldn't agree to the fact that the newer batch of DSGs are relatively trouble free. I work with Volkswagen dealership in Canada. Here, every day I see lot of customers complaining about failure of gearbox and hefty bills. I kept that in mind and purchased a manual diesel. The technicians comment that if the car is trouble free till around 40,000kms it will prove to be reliable. Else it is advised to sell the car once the warranty expires. I don't know how much to accept it.
Got BHP? is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:39   #18
BHPian

If I am not mistaken then it is the third time I am reading about the DSG failure in Skodas on this forum.
Ability to provide a flat bed and resolving the issue is one thing but the failure is unacceptable in a brand new car. This says a load about Quality Control of Skoda.
One failure can be one off incident but couple of reported incidents in this forum certainly points to a manufacturing defect or lack of QC.

Unaccepatable totally unacceptable
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Although its good that Skoda is supporting and are going to fix this failure for good, what pains me is when cars from competition don't even talk about any kind of problems to engine and gear box for over 1L Kms, Skodas DSG has had a decent number of failures at much less odometer readings.

While i agree driving a DSG is much pleasing and enjoyable, but if it comes at a cost of longevity then its going to keep prospective customers away from the brand.

Glad to see Team BHPins where ever they are, help fellow BHPians. I have had the fortune to have similar experiences in the past.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:47   #20
BHPian

It comes at a time, when I was suggesting the Ambition AT to one of my friends. The cost to fix this outside warranty is quite steep and will burn a deep hole in ones pocket. Need to make him aware of such costs.

Can imagine how frustating it would be to get stranded in as good as a new car and that too during a holiday. Good that the Skoda, Navi Mumbai guys heard you and picked up the car though late. Nice to know that your car is back with the problem sorted out but this leaves a question in my mind about owning one such machine.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:23   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I guess that the simpler mechanism of the standard Audi Multi-tronic Automatic gearbox (non DSG) is more reliable and easier to use. (As per PlatzaDturbo's inputs when I was driving about in those Audi A4's).
Could these DSG failures be on account of the heavy dust prone conditions here or is that too far fetched a reason?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd May 2012 at 09:28.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Could these DSG failures be on account of the heavy dust prone conditions here or is that too far fetched a reason?
Nope DSG failures are common worldwide and have been reported in Europe and China.

Infact in China DSG7 from Superb was declared unreliable by VW themselves after the government's quality control department intervened.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:38   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Perhaps they should re-engineer the Skoda's and Audi's and VW's, knock off that DSG and shove in the Multi-tronic instead. At least till they are able to find a long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nope DSG failures are common worldwide and have been reported in Europe and China.

Infact in China DSG7 from Superb was declared unreliable by VW themselves after the government's quality control department intervened.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:39   #24
BHPian

So... VW passing on lower/older tech DSG's to sister Skoda while keepin fittum fit DSG's for itself? I haven't come across any Passat/Jetta "mechatronic/megaclutch" failure till now in India.

American and certain european owners have faced the same problems with the current generation Passat diesels and the older ones.

Anyways nice of Skoda to have admitted that it was a mechanical failure rather than saying "german build quality, get lost"
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

difference between DSG of Skoda and whatever Audi/Porsche etc use should be mainly a product of cost-cutting. Obviously VW group has cut corners in Skoda and other bargain brands as compared to Audis and more of their premium brands. If not they can provide the same multitronic in Skoda and avoid a lot of drama, but that is contrary to their intent of maximising profits on bargain brands.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
So... VW passing on lower/older tech DSG's to sister Skoda while keepin fittum fit DSG's for itself?
DSGs for VW and Skoda are same, manufactured at the same place and fitted in the same factory in India.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Does the Jetta also have the 7speed DSG of the Laura or is it a newer 6 Speed Box ?

Also, how come we never hear of Jetta DSG failures ? If it is the same box, it should see a similar fate in the Jetta !
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:19   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
the megaclutch assembly
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
some mechanical part they refer as Megaclutch.
There isn't a component going by the term "megaclutch" or "megaclutch assembly" in the DSG gearbox. If it is indeed the clutch that he is referring to then it should be "multiclutch assembly". Interesting to find that the dealer has come up with a new term; probably Skoda speak for "it's a mechatronics failure but we can't repeating that".
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Manson, I will say you are very lucky to have Skoda experts in you friend's list. But after reading so many Skoda horror stories around here, I wasn't totally surprised.

I wouldn't feel safe stranded with my family anywhere around NCR in any direction for at least a 100 kms.

No VW family product for me.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:07   #30
BHPian

This is getting to be a regular issue now!

Thankfully I guess Skoda seems to have known you are one of the head honchos in Team BHP & thus you seem to have experienced a positive & swift action by Skoda unlike some of us (link below)!

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Kaput Skoda : Brand new Laura AC & Electronics issues)

However i must add, after they fixed it, the Superb has been a trouble free & awesome experience! So i am sure you will have a good time after this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks