Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Single Clutch failure: Shouldn't one set of alternate gears be available then?

Regards
Sutripta
+1 to that.
BTW, did they diagnose it to be a single clutch failure? I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Did you/they figure out why the oil level was low/empty? Was it removed for multiclutch rebuild?

Cheers
Again, a really important question.

BTW, one good thing I see is that the car offered warnings before a complete knockout and Skoda did not make an issue about the fact that the customer went on driving in spite of the car going into safe mode, etc.

Just trying see the bright side here (knowing cases of warranty/insurance dishonor on such excuses by many brands, this instance is good to read).

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:24   #62
BHPian

re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Single Clutch failure: Shouldn't one set of alternate gears be available then?

Regards
Sutripta
It was available, and that's how the car could be driven in "limp mode". The way DSG7 works is that one clutch engages gears 1-3-5-7 while the other clutch handles 2-4-6-R. The technology is actually pretty awesome.

I'm also sensing my DSG7 on the Superb is going to give up soon. I've been noticing vibrations recently when the gear shifts into second, which feels similar to when a clutch is dying/slipping on a manual transmission.

Having said that, I still think it's a brilliant car (the Superb at least) and I'd buy one again, ideally the 3.6 V6.

Here's a couple of articles with all the info you'll need on these gearboxes.

VW Audi DSG S-tronic FAQ with common DSG problems, the sensor recall, and video reviews

Volkswagen DSG – 7 Speed Dual Clutch Gearbox (High Output) | my-gti.com
Macfreak7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:09   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

Having said that, I still think it's a brilliant car (the Superb at least) and I'd buy one again, ideally the 3.6 V6.
Good thing is 3.6 AWD V6 comes with DSG6, bad thing is- it is no longer available in India.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

So sorry to hear your plight due to this DSG mess once again from Skoda. Glad to know that your particular case is very rare and fully sorted out for the present. Thank God, I opted for the reliable 6 speed manual while choosing my brilliant Skoda Superb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I asked the taxi driver to stop where he was as we already had my brother reach us at Vadkal. A Skoda rep called me 15 minutes later to confirm if I had indeed cancelled my request for a taxi service.
So Road Side Assistance does actually work from Skoda. This is quite heartening to note. How many manufacturers in India can claim same kind of customer centric service? I bless my stars that I too opted for Skoda Shield with Road Side Assistance and the 4 years extended warranty after hearing such similar stories in the past from Skoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I suggest using Japanese or Korean cars on your next long distance trip. Leave the European for the city.
This is actually a little harsh statement in my opinion. Having owned and sworn by the Japs for ages (particularly Toyota), I can vouch that these Germans CAN build some solid cars too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
I still think it's a brilliant car (the Superb at least) and I'd buy one again, ideally the 3.6 V6.
+ 1 to that though I would always die a MT petrol head...

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd May 2012 at 17:03.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:05   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This is actually a little harsh statement in my opinion. Having owned and sweared by the Japs for ages (particularly Toyota), I can vouch that these Germans CAN build some solid cars too.
Not a harsh statement when you've had a Mercedes fail you one day before a long drive or when the AC has failed on a long highway drive.

Anyone who has a Skoda that has put on some kms is always apprehensive of taking it out on a long drive. Ask Ajmat about his vRS.

Superbs have failed on top of hill stations and no way to get back.

The cars are solid, agreed but not anywhere near reliable.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The cars are solid, agreed but not anywhere near reliable.
One offs will always be there whether its a Jap or a German. A Jap machinery can fail too in the middle of nowhere.

I have seen Octavia Taxis in Istanbul having clocked 5Lac+ kms on their odo's with their manual transmissions and diesel power plants without any major issues and still running strong, as per feedback received from their drivers. Now if that's not reliable then what is?

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd May 2012 at 17:17.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:23   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have seen Octavia Taxis in Istanbul having clocked 5Lac+ kms on their odo's with their manual transmissions and diesel power plants without any major issues and still running strong, as per feedback received from their drivers. Now if that's not reliable then what is?
Octavia is a simple car with no major electro-mechanical components. That way, even Merc E Class W124 is known for its legendary reliability among German taxi wallahs.

Everybody is talking about newer models coming out of Germany.
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:12   #68
Team-BHP Support

^^IMHO, in the last decade European cars (especially Germans) have had massive the technological advancements in this field, and so are the complexities. These cars work well in the optimum conditions, and hence you see modern VWs and Mercs clocking 100-200K miles without any trouble in Europe. The trouble is how they adapt to the outside world. And I guess that’s where the Japanese really excel. Their cars can clock the same amount of miles in the hot deserts of Middle East or dusty cities like Bangkok or Jakarta.

Back in 2001, I met someone who worked for Toyota in Thailand. He was saying that most of the development and testing of their cars for Asian market happen in Thailand (and not in Japan), because that helps them to get a feel of the reliability and how the machine cope in the target world. And if it can work well in Thailand or Indonesia, it will surely be trouble-free in Tokyo. Probably something which the European manufacturers can adopt as well.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Megaclutch? Whats that? I hope Skoda is not giving another name to the Mechatronic.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:32   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Megaclutch? Whats that? I hope Skoda is not giving another name to the Mechatronic.
Gogi, from teh part number that Manson put up and Asnhuman's post the Megaclutch is the dual clutch assembly.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:07   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... a Mercedes fail you one day before a long drive or when the AC has failed on a long highway drive.
A machine /device/car can have a problem at any time. Why shouldnt a Merc have those problems ? It would not know that it was being taken out for a long drive, did it ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:10   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A machine /device/car can have a problem at any time. Why shouldnt a Merc have those problems ? It would not know that it was being taken out for a long drive, did it ?
Then why does it not happen in Toyota or Nissan or Honda?

How many reports are there on this forum of a Toyota or a Honda failing on a highway trip?

This has been discussed countless times, the german cars are nowhere near as reliable as the japs, period. Just going through team-BHP or any reputed car mag is proof enough.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:12   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Viddy, you didnt answer my question, did you ?

And just because you know of one such instance, does it change all the instances when a Merc did not break down before, during, or after a long drive ? Even if if one goes through TBHP or any car mag, the proof is only for the reported incidents. Dont agree ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:44   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Viddy, you didnt answer my question, did you ?

And just because you know of one such instance, does it change all the instances when a Merc did not break down before, during, or after a long drive ? Even if if one goes through TBHP or any car mag, the proof is only for the reported incidents. Dont agree ?
Nope I don't believe it cause I've seen a Skoda owner buy a Honda and not complain when he was complaining earlier with the Skoda. Just see the DSG failures thread alone to know of gearbox failures. Search the net for how many toyota gearboxes failed or go ask Toyota.

Also I think this has been agreed on before so let's not open up the old german cars being unreliable whereas japs are over and over again. It's a known fact and not a perception.
Old 24th May 2012, 00:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CVT's are more reliable but the lag is more. Maybe that's why even Toyota opted for a 'antiquated' CVT for it's 2012 offering of the Fortuner AT.
You meant 'torque converters' right? CVT are different (Outlander, Altis have CVT ATs)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks