Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:24   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: DSG packs up on Skoda Laura CR140 - NOW: DSG fails 3RD time

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
In the current era of six digit odometers being a common sight, I am not entirely convinced that part longevity of gearbox and engine assemblies / components should be considered acceptable at 60K.
I get what you are saying but looking at many industries these days, reliability is taking a hit be it electronics or automotive. Cost is more important than reliability.

That said manufacturing processes are improving and the tolerance is much lesser as precision is better. Cost saving is the key. Why engineer extra headroom when you can achieve lower cost and close to same reliability.

If you see now most manufacturers are employing this. Clutch failure under 40K kms in Maruti, Hyundai, Ford is common thing as an example. And the blame is on driver and road conditions.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:43   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Cost is more important than reliability.
Costs for automobiles seem to have historically only been going north and in most cases the reliability too has taken the same route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you see now most manufacturers are employing this. Clutch failure under 40K kms in Maruti, Hyundai, Ford is common thing as an example. And the blame is on driver and road conditions.
Clutch, brake pads, etc. are regular wear and tear parts which are expected to go bad at some point varying with parts quality, not sure if these would be a fair comparison to the DSG gearbox components which are parts of a relatively autonomous process.
Further, you can gauge the wear and tear in the clutch, brake pads, etc. for the loss of power and can plan timely replacements ensuring maximum safety. However, the automatic gearboxes are sealed with their fill of transmission oil and are not supposed to require any other consumables through its life cycle.
Old 3rd February 2018, 13:47   #108
Team-BHP Support

Skoda's customer care department have offered a 30% discount in repair cost through the senior works manager at JMD Skoda earlier today, which I have declined.
I have requested him to revert on each of my concerns listed in my email dated 01.02.2018 if they must refute a free replacement under the goodwill warranty claim cleared by them for the incomplete / incorrect repair job performed by them in October - November 2017.
manson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:48   #109
Team-BHP Support

I think it is fair to expect a brand new gearbox and software revert to previous version. I don't think as a customer one should expect anything lesser. Since the car is beyond warranty period only thing you as a customer should be charged is for the labor and consumables like oil and some nuts and bolts. If i were you this would be the only acceptable solution. If not they can buy the car back at 20% more than market price and relieve you of the pain.

Just replace the darn box Skoda! why put an otherwise champion customer through all this?!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:07   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If i were you this would be the only acceptable solution. If not they can buy the car back at 20% more than market price and relieve you of the pain.
This ordeal is indeed shocking! The CR140 6 speed DSG is meant to be the more reliable one, and I and many other owners have faced no issues.

Our 2012 Skoda Laura was also updated post the scandal, and just like you - it hasn't been a great experience with the car even post reverting to original software and remapping it.
Small stuff like high idle rpm with the AC on, poor FE, etc. were one of the reasons we decided to let go of the car 25Kkm before envisioned (there were other factors too at play, but this was one of them).

If you're up for it, I would actually recommend you send a very strongly worded letter to Skoda & JMD by your lawyer to show them that this is a serious issue and you are prepared to fight it out.
There are enough documented evidences of the DSG failing globally, and Skoda's stance on the same globally.

Lastly, if you plan to sell the car at market price + 20% as Jaggu suggested, keep in mind the market price Skoda would offer you is at least 35% lower than what you would fetch otherwise.
Plus, this car now has horrendous resale value for some reason!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:32   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the current era of six digit odometers being a common sight, I am not entirely convinced that part longevity of gearbox and engine assemblies / components should be considered acceptable at 60K.
My humble Swift Diesel is at 1 lakh 51 thousand km right now, 10 years on and running like a dream, Laura should have definitely run like a charm for atleast 1.5 to 2 lakh kilometers, I mean, what's the use of all the technology and fast gearshifts if it does not last?

Is sending a consumer court notice not an option?
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 14:13   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think it is fair to expect a brand new gearbox and software revert to previous version. I don't think as a customer one should expect anything lesser.
You my friend is what Skoda India needs to head their customer support vertical

Quote:
If not they can buy the car back at 20% more than market price and relieve you of the pain.
Have offered it to them at insured value through one of my many discussions with them.

Quote:
why put an otherwise champion customer through all this?!
Thanks, but you could say that again. Despite all this circus, I am still getting some minor bodywork job done at their official service center which as per their schedule should be completed by tomorrow. Unfortunately Skoda India does not understand the value of a loyal customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Our 2012 Skoda Laura was also updated post the scandal, and just like you - it hasn't been a great experience with the car even post reverting to original software and remapping it.
Small stuff like high idle rpm with the AC on, poor FE, etc. were one of the reasons we decided to let go of the car 25Kkm before envisioned (there were other factors too at play, but this was one of them).
Despite all the fancy remap options available in the aftermarket, all these years we had kept the Skoda bone stock fearing reliability and niggles associated with the aftermarket, and then one summer afternoon Skoda themselves managed to jump the gun to make our ownership experience nothing short of miserable

Quote:
If you're up for it, I would actually recommend you send a very strongly worded letter to Skoda & JMD by your lawyer to show them that this is a serious issue and you are prepared to fight it out.
There are enough documented evidences of the DSG failing globally, and Skoda's stance on the same globally.
Whilst I have all the required documents for a legal representation , I don't want to pursue that route just yet. The senior works manager Mr. Rane has requested for a little more time to work out a resolution, so I am just going to wait for him to get back on this. Meanwhile, the plan is to hit Skoda where it hurts the most, Skoda's Superb and Kodiaq despite being extremely competitive cars will not make it to the shortlist (heck, even the consideration list) for our garage's next big purchase. On the contrary, having been extremely satisfied with the Verna's reliability and customer support experience the next 2 purchases in the subsequent years from Hyundai were made without any second thoughts.

Quote:
Plus, this car now has horrendous resale value for some reason!
Quality of after sales service, reliability and parts availability are some of the biggest determining factors in the used car market, now you know why Skodas have horrendous resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
My humble Swift Diesel is at 1 lakh 51 thousand km right now, 10 years on and running like a dream, Laura should have definitely run like a charm for atleast 1.5 to 2 lakh kilometers,
Among other cars in our garage are a 1.3 lac done Verna and an Innova just shy 2 lac, so now you can gauge my utter disbelief and sorrow when I had the first gearbox failure at 12K, and now these back to back failed diagnosis.

Quote:
I mean, what's the use of all the technology and fast gearshifts if it does not last?
Hit the nail on its head, thanks!

Quote:
Is sending a consumer court notice not an option?
Going the legal route is surely an option, but I am not considering or even weighing that in just yet.

Last edited by manson : 5th February 2018 at 16:10.
manson is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 14:09   #113
Team-BHP Support

Following an email reminder I sent last evening, Skoda India continues to low ball me via the works manager at the dealership:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

As special case support we will provide 40% support towards replacement of the Gear Shifter mechanism. So please kindly provide the approval for the same.

Thanks & Regards,

SHANTARAM RANE
Service Manager

JMD AUTO INDIA PVT LTD
Plot. No. D-222/19, T.T.C Industrial Area MIDC,
Near London Pilsner, Next to Penwalt India Ltd,
Nerul, Navi Mumbai-400 706 | India
Tel.: 7738150513/514
Mob:9867532035
* : wm.nerul@skodajmd.com
Old 6th February 2018, 14:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Costs for automobiles seem to have historically only been going north and in most cases the reliability too has taken the same route.
I think you meant to say the reliability is going in the other direction - south?

Quote:
Following an email reminder I sent last evening, Skoda India continues to low ball me via the works manager at the dealership:
From all the horror threads about Skoda, this is one thing that seems apparent. For all the dirty work, the minions are being used. Is there not someone at Skoda who is a visible figure on social media; such as Anand Mahindra for M&M? perhaps you could tweet to them or get this to their attention.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:58   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think you meant to say the reliability is going in the other direction - south?
No, I definitely meant higher reliability of the cars when comparing 2015 to 2005, 2005 to 1995, and so on. Back in the 90's most people considered 70,000 to 80,000 Kms as the benchmark to sell a car, ten years later that rose to 100,000 to 125,000 Kms and now I feel 150,000 to 200,000 is easily achievable if one continues to have the car periodically service and maintained as per company prescribed intervals.

Parts quality (mainly interior plastics, seat fabrics, etc.) sure has dropped a notch in the last few years in most price sensitive segments due to competition, but I can't recall a single manufacturer with a decline in longevity of major assemblies and allied components.

Last edited by manson : 6th February 2018 at 16:36.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:45   #116
Team-BHP Support

With zero appropriate / meaningful responses with regards to the queries listed out by me, endless delays and many meaningless conference calls later, I just had to blink first.
Skoda got the better of my patience and there is only so much time I can spare from work to follow up with them over fixing my car. Following a telephonic discussion with my service advisor yesterday morning, I sent the service center an email approval for the part replacement.
I'm told that the part replacement will take 1 working day for the service center to replace, awaiting a confirmed ETA from the service center which should determine when I can have my car back.

Quote:
M/s. JMD AUTO INDIA PVT. LTD.
Kind Attn: Mr. Shantaram Rane – Service Manager

Respected Sir,

1. Following my telephonic discussion with your service advisor Mr. Irfan Shaikh earlier today, this is to confirm acceptance for 50% of part cost Rs. 64,878/- in lieu of gear shifter mechanism (part code: 5K2713025BK) in order to complete repair of gearbox in our Skoda Laura bearing registration no. MH 04 XX XXXX.

2. Please note that this repair acceptance is a special case and does not absolve your dealership, JMD Skoda or its principal company M/s. Skoda India from any abnormal future part failures of engine and transmission arising out of the software update carried out for our car without our express permission or consent, or parts previously replaced defective parts.

3. Further, you are kindly requested to confirm corrective action on your part for following problems being faced following the software update carried out at your end:
• Reduced power delivery compared to the original state of tune that the car was purchase in
• Whistling sound from the hood / engine
• High idling RPM of the engine

You are kindly requested to acknowledge receipt of the above approval and confirm firm delivery period for the car by return email at the earliest.
Anticipate your prompt action in the above regard.
manson is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:23   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, the plan is to hit Skoda where it hurts the most, Skoda's Superb and Kodiaq despite being extremely competitive cars will not make it to the shortlist (heck, even the consideration list) for our garage's next big purchase. On the contrary, having been extremely satisfied with the Verna's reliability and customer support experience the next 2 purchases in the subsequent years from Hyundai were made without any second thoughts.
Can't agree more - only issue is that they have fantastic products like the vRS! I tried to stay away from the brand, but the vRS lure was too strong! Thankfully found a nice pre-owned BMW to help out, but unfortunately, I won't be surprised if one of their products makes it back to the garage!
Though we did pick up a Corolla Altis a few months ago over the Octavia just because we wanted peace of mind. It's the second Toyota vehicle in the current garage (and our fourth till date), and I've nearly convinced 2 others in the family to pick it up!
With Skoda, I doubt I can handle more than one at a time should something go wrong.

Also at the same time, Skoda hasn't annoyed us as much as bigger brother Audi - and that is one thing we are very clear about - no more Audi's!
Old 27th February 2018, 19:34   #118
Team-BHP Support

Got the Skoda back over the weekend and we have put on a couple of hundred kms on the odometer over and above the test drive with service advisor prior to fetching the car. The total parts cost of the gear shifting mechanism was just over 31K, whilst JMD being their regular sweet self gave a zero bill for the labor charges (without ever asking), and even brought down the body shop repair to an amount lower than what what I had earlier confirmed for the job.

Whilst I have still not received any conclusive response to my queries raised with Skoda India and JMD, I can only hope and pray for another couple of hassle free years with the car we love so much.

DSG packs up on Skoda Laura CR140 - NOW: DSG fails 3RD time-img_20180224_193815-large.jpg

Quote:
I tried to stay away from the brand, but the vRS lure was too strong!
Well, you just had to mention the vRS, I really hope I don't have to bite my words!!
We have had our apprehensions about Skoda's after sales service much before getting the Laura and only took the plunge after they offered the 4 years Skoda Shield, so the Skoda ownership was bit of a calculated risk. Apart from the communication gap prior to carrying out the software update and billing some pointless add on services, we have mostly had a good experience with JMD from service point of view, and whatever hassle the Skoda came with was offset by their above average after sales support.
manson is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks