Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 22:14   #151

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Completed 1800 kms on my caaar, and seems wonderful. Just like that wanted to check the engine oil levels, and surprisingly found the oil to be black and sticky. Is it normal for diesel engines? Please pardon my ignorance as this is my first diesel possession. For a petrol engine, the engine oil would shine even after 5000 kms of running.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:11   #152
BHPian

After 10 years of driving the Palio, 5 on the 1.2 and 5 on the 1.6 Stile, I have now booked the Sunny XV Petrol.

I intended to book the Renault Scala, and had a bad experience with Renault. I had gone to book the Scala, with checkbook in hand (was willing to pay a premium for the looks), and the dealer was very arrogant when we inquired about some freebies. Glad i did not go through with it.

Went over to the Sunny showroom, and surprising for me, the Sunny actually looks better in person than in the photographs. I test drove the Petrol, and besides the brakes, and slightly lighter feel of the steering at high speeds (at city speeds it is a huge boon), it really ticked all the boxes. The gear box is not as good as the Vento, but after driving FIAT Palios, I am fine with it. Just was hoping it has a reverse gear lock like the Palio.

The dealership experience I've had so far is actually quite good. I am getting the car on the 16th of Dec. The dealer also provided me the VIN number, and I have checked that it is an Oct manufactured car, which is good since I booked in mid-Nov. I'm getting 50K exchange bonus + free insurance + free mudflaps /floor mats + reverse camera in rear view mirror @ half price (need this as my parking slot requires a sharp reversing).

Looking forward to my first sedan.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
GTO, is this something to worry about - that an engine which has clocked 10k or less is giving away black smoke? Or, is this common in the DCI engines? Have you noticed anything on your car? I am attaching an image of the car's exhaust traces - I have circled it out.
Its about 2 months from your post, but I hope this reply is useful. In diesel engines, the black smoke appears when they are revved up, not in normal operations. So in ghaats we see a lot of black smoke emitting vehicles simply because they are revved a lot, while pressing the clutch. This car might have been run by someone who drives like ST drivers, revving merrily before starting and stopping. Pls check few other Sunny examples before coming to a conclusion.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 15:17   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Its about 2 months from your post, but I hope this reply is useful. In diesel engines, the black smoke appears when they are revved up, not in normal operations. So in ghaats we see a lot of black smoke emitting vehicles simply because they are revved a lot, while pressing the clutch. This car might have been run by someone who drives like ST drivers, revving merrily before starting and stopping. Pls check few other Sunny examples before coming to a conclusion.
Thanks ani_meher for the clarification. Though, in the two months since I posted this query, I went and got myself a Honda City
Old 29th November 2012, 17:28   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamajumder View Post
and surprisingly found the oil to be black and sticky.
You'll find blackened oil in all diesel engines Don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
I have now booked the Sunny XV Petrol.
I would strongly urge you to switch to the diesel. Reason:

- The Sunny's petrol engine is mediocre. Neither is it fast, nor refined nor particularly fuel efficient. There are far better petrols in the market.

- The Sunny diesel is the segment best in terms of driveability & economy. It's more fun to drive too. Whatever extra you spend at the start, you'll more than recover in running and at the time of resale.

If you still want to buy a petrol, I'd recommend another car. Depending on the budget, look at the Dzire, Etios, City or Linea T-Jet. These 4 cars have stunning petrol engines that blow the Sunny petrol away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Though, in the two months since I posted this query, I went and got myself a Honda City

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th November 2012 at 17:42. Reason: removed smiley
Old 30th November 2012, 14:00   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You'll find blackened oil in all diesel engines
- The Sunny's petrol engine is mediocre. Neither is it fast, nor refined nor particularly fuel efficient. There are far better petrols in the market.

If you still want to buy a petrol, I'd recommend another car. Depending on the budget, look at the Dzire, Etios, City or Linea T-Jet. These 4 cars have stunning petrol engines that blow the Sunny petrol away.
Fully agree. The only positive of the Sunny petrol apart from the space etc is the ride, it's got a balanced suspension. everybody knows about Dzire petrol, although in the new avatar the boot is effectively non-existent. The Etios petrol is a nice car to drive, barring the noise inside the cabin. The 2012 City's suspension has been tightened up a lot, only significant negative is the steering, but that engine is a gem. I have not driven a Tjet yet, but driven other Fiats, and they were all underpowered. Adding power to that handling, and it's got to be a winner.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:32   #157
BHPian

Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated.

I test drove all these cars, except T-Jet
a) Dzire - Good car, nothing to dislike but did not click with me. Can't put a finger on what did not do it for me.
b) Etios - Interiors did not do it for me, or my family one bit.
c) City - V.Good car, but am on a strict budget.
d) Linea T-Jet - Did not test drive. Again would go beyond budget.

I looked at Diesel vs Petrol again, and my limiting factor is initial capital. Don't want to be saddled with loans. Yes the diesel is very much better than the petrol. I test drove both the Scala and Sunny Diesels.

I redid the test drive on the Petrol XV, and found it fine upto 3.5K RPM. Did not rev past that, and my driving style is such that I upshift around 2.5K usually.Also 90% of my driving will be in Mumbai City.

So, I would say its a car I've "settled" for.
Seeler_Rebeiro is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 10:46   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A little over 7 months completed & the Sunny has already crossed the 15,000 kms mark.

Mechanical issues = Zero
Electrical issues = Zero
Not one glitch, not a single niggle, not one part gone loose.
Service station visit = One for the 10,000 kms service

It's serving the role of a family beater very well. Thanks to the Sunny being used for all the rough work, the other cars are ageing better. And the Nissan does have some scars & dents to show for it.

Each full tank lasts over 600 kms before needing a replenishment.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2012 at 10:48.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 11:16   #159

Dear GTO,
Can you please throw some light on the amount you paid for the 10,000 km service?
Thanks.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:53   #160
Senior - BHPian

How about a RaceDynamics Dualtronic box for the Sunny??? You can get even more mileage AND peformance out of the K9K.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's serving the role of a family beater very well. Thanks to the Sunny being used for all the rough work, the other cars are ageing better. And the Nissan does have some scars & dents to show for it.

Each full tank lasts over 600 kms before needing a replenishment.
True workhorse. And may I ask how much does she sip in on an average for a full replenishment? 35L? 40L?
Old 12th December 2012, 13:18   #162
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamajumder View Post
Dear GTO,
Can you please throw some light on the amount you paid for the 10,000 km service?
Thanks.
Invoice uploaded in an earlier post. Please check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
How about a RaceDynamics Dualtronic box for the Sunny??? You can get even more mileage AND peformance out of the K9K.
No inclination for more power from the family workhorse. I hardly drive it. Due to its light kerb weight, performance is already best in class. The rule for the beater car is, you spend the least money possible on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
True workhorse. And may I ask how much does she sip in on an average for a full replenishment? 35L? 40L?
41 liter tank @ 15.5 - 16 kpl in the city.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 22:46   #163
BHPian

Quote:
A little over 7 months completed & the Sunny has already crossed the 15,000 kms mark.

Mechanical issues = Zero
Electrical issues = Zero
Not one glitch, not a single niggle, not one part gone loose.
Service station visit = One for the 10,000 kms service
Hi GTO,
After contemplating and checking out pre owned diesel cars for close to a year, I am looking at buying a new Diesel car now.

Cars considered,
1) Vista D90 zx+,
2)Scala RxL,
3)Sunny XL,
4)Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel,
5)Verito CS.

I have always loved the Sunny in Blue. But prefer the looks of Scala. Are the maintenance costs same for Sunny and Scala ? What is the price difference between Sunny and Scala as of now. Pre owned diesels in Southern part India costs a bomb and it is not a VFM at all. It is space, ride, mileage and reliability that I am looking for, of course a fairly peppy engine being a TBhpian

I do not want to dilute your thread, just want to know how Sunny fares against the competition. Or what would you have bought if you were in the market now for a family workhorse.

Thank you.
Old 1st March 2013, 23:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Hi GTO,
After contemplating and checking out pre owned diesel cars for close to a year, I am looking at buying a new Diesel car now.

Cars considered,
1) Vista D90 zx+,
2)Scala RxL,
3)Sunny XL,
5)Verito CS.

I have always loved the Sunny in Blue. But prefer the looks of Scala. Are the maintenance costs same for Sunny and Scala ? What is the price difference between Sunny and Scala as of now. Pre owned diesels in Southern part India costs a bomb and it is not a VFM at all. It is space, ride, mileage and reliability that I am looking for, of course a fairly peppy engine being a TBhpian

I do not want to dilute your thread, just want to know how Sunny fares against the competition. Or what would you have bought if you were in the market now for a family workhorse.

Thank you.
I will suggest you to wait for ecosport to launch, I am pretty sure, it will cost you same as sunny or scala. But it will be better to drive then both of them.

But on otherhand, being under 4m, The space in ecosport will be no where close to both of them.

If you have a chauffeur and you want a car, which is reliable and doesn't cost a bomb to maintain, then close your eyes and get a sunny or, if you are okay paying the premium for looks, get scala. It beats sunny hands down in terms of looks. But both of them offers, almost identical features.

or, If you don't want to wait much, checkout the vento. Which is best all rounder car in that segment, IMO.

Price difference between sunny and scala, should be around 60,000 ( ex showroom). Sunny should cost you less, as there was some offer going on sunny diesel, there was ad in yesterdays newspaper.

To add to your confusion , honda amaze with a diesel heart should be here in 1 and half month, from what i have heard in the reviews, it's got a fantastic engine and good amount of space and pricing will be near dzire's territory.

Good luck
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:13   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Hi GTO,

Cars considered,
1) Vista D90 zx+,
2)Scala RxL,
3)Sunny XL,
5)Verito CS.

Thank you.

Go for the Sunny Diesel as it ticks all the boxes.Paying the premium for Scala just for the looks is not a wise decision at all.The difference between Scala RxL and Sunny XL is around 60000.If you want a nice to drive car that compromises on space and reliability,The EcoSport is for you.The light weight of the Sunny and Scala give it the highest power to weight ratio in their segment,so performance and fuel efficiency will be best in class.I own a Sunny XL and I would recommend it for you.

Best,

Achyuth.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed