Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 23:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Congratulations GTO, you just bought a new age 'Ambassador'.
A worthy and cheaper alternative for the driven babus & madams (in the city only) to a Corolla. And for so called semi-premium taxi.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:28   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The fun with the fuel efficiency continues! Last night, we ran some back-of-the-envelope calculations:

Monthly running for the Family Workhorse = 2,500 kms

If the Civic were used:

2,500 kms / 8.5 kpl (driver driving style) * 76.45 = Rs. 22,485 per month in fuel bills

The Sunny fulfilling that role:

2,500 kms / 16 kpl (current FE with driver) * 45.99 = Rs. 7,186 per month in fuel bills

Summary

Net difference is Rs. 15,299 each month. In effect, the Sunny's EMI is completely free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The only thing I am a bit surprised is the dealership experience. My experience with Oxford Nissan was on the better side, not really what you can call bad. Some places they goofed up but were quite ok in other areas.
Great to hear that you had a pleasant experience, W.A.G.7. I was going more by the average, and the odds are clearly stacked against Nissan dealerships. Even Skoda manages to keep a certain number of its customers happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
i20 ?? I'd hardly consider the i20 a enthusiast car. I'm surprised at your (probable) choice. - Unless you were planning a suspension upgrade.
I wasn't looking at an enthusiasts car. In a garage with multiple cars, it's not necessary that each car must be a petrolhead's dream.

In fact, I'm dead sure that I'd have picked up the i20 Asta diesel 6-speed manual if it weren't for the Sunny. Just love that hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Your family should love it.
Thanks Suhaas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
you just bought a new age 'Ambassador'.
Come to think of it, the Sunny is indeed the modern day Ambassador!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

GTO great as always but this one is different as it is your own ownership experience. Though I was looking to this one quite some time, as seen from your post in another thread on the launch of this one, was late by four days to notice.
The first intro itself is a mini review of Manza, Swift, i20 and Innova.
I wanted an Indigo as an economical chauffeur driven family car but now I wont even touch it with the longest of barge poles.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 13:42   #79
BHPian

Congrats! Great Review GTO! Each and everything you noticed is bang on. BTW how much does the second gear pull upto the max?

And great choice of color too! Now Sunny, just like the Figo has changed the fate of Nissan in India...
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 19:08   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats GTO for the new car and thanks for this much awaited ownership report. It does give me a whole lot of confidence in my decision when I know that you too opted for the same car .

This is such a brilliant VFM package. The space inside is huge and the car is extremely fun to drive in the city. The low end torque makes it surely the best diesel car I have driven in traffic.

You correctly mentioned that this car does everything the Altis does and at a much lesser price. The only place where the Altis scores over this is the more upmarket image and feel of the Altis, which many people look forward to in that segment. The interiors of the Altis are a little more pampering and the additional width makes it more roomier. Having said that, when it comes to driving the Sunny owns the Altis on any given day.

The only grudge I felt in my car is the quality of the plastics and panel gaps at some places. The upper edge of the glovebox has this very unfinished, sharp line which looks and feels disgusting. Then again I am not too happy with the way they have fitted the fuel lid and bonnet release lever. The plastic used feels of low quality and the fitting isn't proper. The gaps on the sides are uneven. Finally I felt the ORVMs to be slightly small for my taste. They do the job but I would have preferred a slightly larger field of vision.

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th June 2012 at 19:10.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 20:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations GTO

This car is the old gen Corolla with a very practical engine at a just price.

Personally,I'd have recommended you to stay away from blue but if you keep the exteriors waxed , the shine will always be on.

The only thing I don't like in the Sunny is the interiors - too many circles(eg. the discman type ACC controls,the ac vents all circular and protruding out)

Nevertheless , a good, practical choice and the best bang for your buck at this price point.

Enjoy your ride !!!!
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 20:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Its probably worth looking into gripper tires and gripper brake pads. Two things a customer can do to improve the bite from the brakes.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th June 2012 at 17:22.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 21:33   #83
BHPian

How is the rear seat width wise? I mean can 2 medium and 1 more than medium sized person feel comfortable over long journeys?

My frequent trips to bangalore airport with colleagues and family in the logan has left me impressed with the space at the back. Just wanted to know if the sunny has the width space in addition to it's leg space.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 08:20   #84
BHPian

Congratulations on getting your new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I broke two of my own rules with the Nissan Sunny.

2. Always buy pre-worshipped
Reliability was of paramount importance. Hence, the search for a new diesel car began.
I too believed in this. The only car that the family bought new was the Accent. However, now we are in the look out for an MUV and it just doesn't make sense to get a used car (unless it is a Safari or a Xylo). Try getting a sparingly used Innova or Scorpio and you will know what i mean. Or, try getting a used Alto in Bangalore (< 3 years) and you will invariably head to the showroom after 2 months of futile search. Low mileage ones are absurdly priced close to the new one, and the maintenance costs of a high mileage car keeps one away from those as well.

Guess the 'buy used' theory works for Petrol sedans only. I am losing hope in the used car market esp when it is about a diesel car.
Jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 17:23   #85

Congratulations, albeit late , never the less . Seems your review shall remain the prime factor in me also deciding this car to buy. Just curious about 14" wheels in XL to 15" wheels in XV - does this in any way improves the handling and ride besides improving behaviour over speed breakers ? Your comments pls
gepco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 19:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your latest acquisition ( a l"il late though ) and thanks a lot for the detailed review. Nice choice of color for the car, it's one of the few color's in which sunny looks good, otherwise it's just too fatty for my taste

I have driven diesel sunny XL variant and all the likes and dislikes you mentioned are pretty much same as mine.

What i liked in the sunny was space, ease of drive in city, super smooth clutch, a ZERO turbo lag engine, you can use 3rd and 2nd gears all day in city. I must say it's well built practical family sedan.

But no car is perfect, there are quite a things which i didn't liked in her namely- Feel less break pedal, I was driving at around 40kmph and pressed pedal a little to slow down and nothing happened, then i pressed it a little more and car dropped speed suddenly , thank god that no one was behind me.

Other negatives were, lack of thigh support at the rear, i agree there is a small bedroom like space at the back but due to low seating and lack of thigh support, i didn't find rear much comfortable. There are quite a flimsy bits in the car, the line above glove box is very sharp, the hood opener looks out of place and is of POOR build quality.

The super smooth steering is not much of my taste, i hate EPS to be honest, but that's me only, 99% of population don't bother much about it and Gearbox is notchy and is not as smooth as it should be.

All in all, if i have to pick a car for my family ( in this segment ) it'll be sunny anyday, But if i have to choose one for me, it'll be either rapid or vento.

I can surely say that, sunny and micra ( diesel specially ) are fortune changers for Nissan India and it can only get better from here, Only if they improve their dealership experience.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with her, Drive safe,.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 9th June 2012 at 19:17.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 20:34   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
BTW how much does the second gear pull upto the max?
Haven't even bothered to check, honestly. This isn't a car to redline

Are you asking because you think the 2nd is too tall or short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It does give me a whole lot of confidence in my decision when I know that you too opted for the same car
Please share an ownership review of your Sunny. It'll help plenty of others in making a sound decision. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Personally,I'd have recommended you to stay away from blue but if you keep the exteriors waxed , the shine will always be on.
With the Indigo around, I had 3 black cars. So no apprehensions toward dark colours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
How is the rear seat width wise? I mean can 2 medium and 1 more than medium sized person feel comfortable over long journeys?
From my review:

Quote:
As generous as legroom is, cabin width is just as much as the Micra (no surprise). I did feel that cars like the Etios & Manza are noticeably wider and can better accommodate a 5th occupant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Guess the 'buy used' theory works for Petrol sedans only.
Or petrol hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepco View Post
Just curious about 14" wheels in XL to 15" wheels in XV
Since their overall diameter is the same:

14" = Better ride
15" = Better handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
But if i have to choose one for me, it'll be either rapid or vento.
True. The Sunny isn't an ideal choice for an enthusiast as his only car.
Old 9th June 2012, 21:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the Civic were used:

2,500 kms / 8.5 kpl (driver driving style) * 76.45 = Rs. 22,485 per month in fuel bills

The Sunny fulfilling that role:

2,500 kms / 16 kpl (current FE with driver) * 45.99 = Rs. 7,186 per month in fuel bills

Summary

Net difference is Rs. 15,299 each month. In effect, the Sunny's EMI is completely free!
I know it is totally out of context, but I have to say this here. Your calculation above is making me sob.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Are you asking because you think the 2nd is too tall or short?
I asked that because the Logan pulls upto 70Kmph in the second gear, so got a doubt whether the gear ratios are the same or they differ..
Old 10th June 2012, 00:09   #90
BANNED

GTO, thank God you've turned the corner and kinda realised the importance of VFM cars. If there's one thing about this Forum that's bugged me is the way in which the average Indian was being encouraged to think more about bhp, revs, redlines, top end performance, tyre burning etc

A car is a mode of conveyance.Period.

If the industry can make cars that are safer, more refined, have less turbo lag, more frugal to operate, less polluting, easier to maintain, more reliable and last longer than they do now then that is progress. in addition if they can look better than the Logan does then it's great .

I hope this Sunny sells in large numbers and thereby ensure that it's spares are cheaper and more easily available in the years to come. It will also mean that you will get a better price when you sell this car some years later.
It is shocking to see manufacturers modifying headlights, body parts etc frequently leading to long waiting times to obtain spares for a car after only 3 to 5 years after launch.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2012 at 09:30. Reason: Please do NOT use SMS Language on this forum
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks