Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 23:42   #106
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks Mobike!

If I didn't need this kind of backseat space, it would be the Dzire (amongst sedans) or the Swift / i20 (amongst hatchbacks).
Why not Micra Diesel? It is the best drivable diesel hatch as on date. I had a TD of the car & was throughly impressed with it's zero turbo lag, though noise level was high beyond 90-100 kmph. Nissan should provide ABS & dual airbags immediately on this car. A week before, drove a friend's Sunny diesel on highway. Due to dense traffic, could not take the car beyond 100 kmph.Till that speed it was plain & simple, felt that 120-130 kmph can be done easily. Liked the car, it was nice & easy to drive, was a bit nosier than my Verna 1.6 CRDI, sitting higher than Verna, thus had better all round visibility, pulling power was little less than my Verna, clutch was lighter but the paddle was placed much higher much to my dislike. With regular use, one may get used to it.

Sunny is a sensible car to have & fulfill requirements of 90% car buyer 90 % time. What else one requires? Only unexplored area is service standards of Nissan.

If some one does not require the boot, can one go for Micra diesel (presuming it will come with ABS/dual airbags) & still get a car close to Sunny? If no, how inferior will it be with particular reference to high end engine performance & refinement inside the cabin. I am considering Micra as a second car primarily for city usage & occasional high way duty, thus the query. From my limited driving experience, I feel that Micra may struggle after 100 kmph where as Sunny can happily reach 120-130 kmph & the cabin noise is distinctly higher in Micra. Your views plz.

Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:23   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Please do keep updating the ongoing ownership as well as service experience.
Will do. My car has crossed 8,000 kms and should be up for the 10K service in a month. Will update.

Quote:
Let's just hope the dealership experience is tolerable. Having said that, my experience in respect of TD, quote, follow up for purchase etc was quote pleasant at ichibaan Nissan, worli, mumbai. Hope that continues to be the case going forward should we proceed with the decision.
There's a new dealer in Mumbai opening shop today. Torrent Nissan @ Andheri. See if the location works for you. New dealer = Eager to please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
If some one does not require the boot, can one go for Micra diesel (presuming it will come with ABS/dual airbags) & still get a car close to Sunny?
You could, but do also consider the Swift Diesel & i20 Diesel too.

WRT the Sunny vs Micra Diesel, note that the differences are quite a lot (unlike Swift & Dzire). The Sunny gets more power, safety equipment and far more backseat space. The Micra is a compact hatch but the Sunny is quite a large sedan.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:58   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will do. My car has crossed 8,000 kms and should be up for the 10K service in a month. Will update.

There's a new dealer in Mumbai opening shop today. Torrent Nissan @ Andheri. See if the location works for you. New dealer = Eager to please
Quite a timely post and thanks for the info. I work at Lower Parel so Ichibaan is the best location for me. Andheri is really far. I am relieved though that there are multiple servicing options available now with a new dealer in Thane as well I believe.

Incidentally, I just booked a black Sunny Diesel XV this morning with Ichibaan. They don't have it in ready stock so order will be placed and delivery post RTO etc expected latest by end August (hopefully a little sooner). Lets see how the experience goes. My wife's i20 petrol will finally be replaced with the frugal Japanese.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:37   #109
BHPian

GTO - If you were to summarize the pros and cons between Altis D and Sunny D, what would they be.
Old 11th August 2012, 15:36   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
GTO - If you were to summarize the pros and cons between Altis D and Sunny D, what would they be.
The Sunny D's pros and cons are on the first page of this thread. For the Altis D, I'll simply quote my post from the Altis Review thread:

Quote:
What you'll like:

• Highly practical sedan. A fuss-free point A -> B car
• Refined & fuel efficient diesel engine
• Slick 6 speed manual gearbox
• Excellent ride quality
• Comfortable interiors. Well suited to the chauffeur driven
• Toyota's reliability, durability & excellent after-sales service

What you won't:

• Merely 87 BHP on tap, and 0 - 100 of 14.8 seconds. Performance equal to 2 segments lower
• Prominent turbo lag below 2,000 rpm. Affects driveability
• Equipment missing from the petrol Altis. No automatic gearbox option either
• Top "GL" variant pricey. "G" (middle) variant makes the most sense
• No extended warranties beyond the standard 3 year coverage

Old 11th August 2012, 16:41   #111
BANNED

Nissan cars "Micra" & "Sunny" are two superb cars which havent got their due. I own a Micra D and its giving me a FE of 18-20 in city traffic and 26-28 on highways...If i use a light foot on an open road, I easily get between 32-36 kmph...Great cars both...
Old 11th August 2012, 22:23   #112
Team-BHP Support

Just drove the Nissan Sunny diesel yesterday and came away very impressed. It is far more comfortable at the back than my Altis with better legroom and a better rear seat angle. Under thigh support is not great in both cars.

To drive, it was simply fantastic. Diesel engine is not the quietest but the drivability of that engine blew me away. This coming from a Ford Figo owner!!

Gearbox is notchy and brakes require a very firm press. After driving the Sunny, I got back in my Figo and for the first few metres, I was slamming the brakes causing the seat belt to lock up every time.

The Sunny XL is 60K more than the Etios VD variant and is totally worth it for the much better interior quality and premium feel.
Old 12th August 2012, 11:54   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is far more comfortable at the back than my Altis with better legroom and a better rear seat angle. Under thigh support is not great in both cars.
This comes as a surprise - I thought the Altis had one of the best rear seats available. The Sunny's underthigh support is terrible of course.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:00   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This comes as a surprise - I thought the Altis had one of the best rear seats available. The Sunny's underthigh support is terrible of course.
The Altis has a very nice rear seat, but underthigh support is not great at all. The Sunny is slightly worse in underthigh support but gets accentuated since you have to sit lower down cause of the lesser headroom. Seat angle in the Sunny was near perfect. I sat in the back for quite a while and it was decidedly more comfy than my Altis.

The Altis diesel costs nearly 6-7lakhs more than the sunny diesel. The sunny has a more powerful engine and has quite a lot of features as well.
Old 12th August 2012, 19:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

How about ingress/egress. Isin't Altis more of a tall boy compared to the Sunny?

I thought Sunny is all about massive legroom.
Old 12th August 2012, 21:16   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
How about ingress/egress. Isin't Altis more of a tall boy compared to the Sunny?

I thought Sunny is all about massive legroom.
Ingress egress is also not too bad. Seats are on the lower side but doors open wide so getting in is not a problem.

The car is not a low sedan like the civic.
Old 12th August 2012, 22:02   #117
BHPian

Took the half an hour TD of the Sunny from Trivandrum showroom.

My initial impressions
Good low end torque - Drivable
Pulls well up to 60 kmph
No turbo lag or turbo kick
NVH levels pretty good
Steering feedback - Poor, better than Hyundais though
Huge leg room and easy ingress in the back is a plus but let down by pretty ordinary under-thigh support
Seat squab width is less, feels much lesser than the ANHC, feels narrow especially if someone hefty like me gets in. Corolla is better in this respect.

Pulls well, engine does not feel strained at 120 kmph in 5th gear
Braking is poor, lacks bite, the salesguy asked me to brake hard, once we get the bite of the brakes, stopping is not nervous. May be i am used to the tail wag in the old dzire. The interiors does not feel very rich, the showroom car dashboard had lost most of its sheen in 2 months, it felt like it was more than a year old. The fine vision meters and display in the XV are useless in sunlight.
Cannot compare the rear seat comfort with corolla, and I believe massive leg room does not translate into massive rear seat comfort. May be, for some one less than 5.8 height, the seat would be adequate and as comfy as in the city or corolla especially with the nice ride in the sunny.
Old 12th August 2012, 23:25   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManavJain View Post
Nissan cars "Micra" & "Sunny" are two superb cars which havent got their due. I own a Micra D and its giving me a FE of 18-20 in city traffic and 26-28 on highways...If i use a light foot on an open road, I easily get between 32-36 kmph...Great cars both...
FE wise, Sunny diesel & Micra diesel are the best in their segments. Both are very good products & should prove to be reliable in long run. Nissan must take care in providing quality *** at a reasonable price to flourish in our market. I have driven both Micra (D) & Sunny ( D) and have come back impressed. And this is with reference to my Verna 1.6 CRDI.

Your FE figure of 36 seems stunning. Is it by TFM, with or without AC, at what speed & with what kind of load? Some elaboration will help.

Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 23:34   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
FE wise, Sunny diesel & Micra diesel are the best in their segments. Both are very good products & should prove to be reliable in long run. Nissan must take care in providing quality *** at a reasonable price to flourish in our market. I have driven both Micra (D) & Sunny ( D) and have come back impressed. And this is with reference to my Verna 1.6 CRDI.

Your FE figure of 36 seems stunning. Is it by TFM, with or without AC, at what speed & with what kind of load? Some elaboration will help.

Thanks
There is a difference of around 2 kmpl between what the display shows n TFM. There isnt much of a difference between with or without AC as far as FE is concerned. The magic speed is between 60 - 70 kmph. Load will be 3-4 passengers.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:37   #120
BHPian

GTO sirji,

Very Excellent detailed review. I must say you bring out the pros / cons of the car very clearly. I look forward to your reviews very much.

I am on the lookout for a proper family sedan with a good boot. I will be the one driving it most of the time. After going through your thread I was almost certain that the Sunny diesel would meet all my expectations for the VFM family sedan.I have a daily / monthly / yearly running of 30 / 650 / 8000 kms. Hence almost all of the dealers are suggesting petrol variant instead of diesel considering my running. But I am still very much confused about that. I am worried in case I go in for a petrol vehicle, would I be regretting the decision later on considering the fuel prices? Looking at the current prices, wife is strictly against my buying a petrol but she also agrees that the cost difference is almost > 1.5 lacs.

After checking out most vehicles in the market, I have now narrowed down to choose between the Sunny petrol/diesel , Honda city , verna petrol and vento petrol. Maruti diesels (z variants) have long waiting periods due to manesar problems-only v variants are available. SX4 celebration diesel is available at 10.5. Verna / Vento / Rapid diesels are above 11.5 - 12 lacs almost 2 lac difference.

The concern I have with the sunny diesel is that it almost touches 10 lacs and for that kind of money, I find the interior quality to be low. Compared to this the verna/vento /city are miles ahead. Fit and finish on these cars is much better. I felt much safer in the vento and the ride/handling was also much better. You mentioned that the sunny is quite boring to drive on the expressway and also it is very floaty. Would you say that this would be similar to the expereince in a santro (my current car 2002 model)?

Sunny petrol at 8.2 lacs - should I even be looking at this?

For a self driven car, Would it be wiser to go for a petrol model and save the 1.5-2L or spend the additional moolah and get a diesel verna/vento? Which one would you suggest ?
(I am expecting to get a lot of criticism if I select a petrol model coz everybody is obsessed with diesels nowadays).

Link to my requirements post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2867741
Link to my test drives post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2870447

Most Viewed