Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 19:48   #121
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Mod Note : As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2012 at 09:24.
Old 13th August 2012, 19:48   #122
BHPian

Just saw a brand new sunny XL diesel emitting black smoke while driving back home. Is it the same case with your car??
Old 13th August 2012, 23:22   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Just saw a brand new sunny XL diesel emitting black smoke while driving back home. Is it the same case with your car??
There's nothing wrong with the sunny here, Diesel engine emits black smoke under hard acceleration

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 15th August 2012, 02:27   #124
Team-BHP Support

My Sunny XV has finally landed from Chennai. I am informed that its got Bridgestone tyres (I don't know the model though).

Just wondering, would anyone recommend replacing the stock tyres to anything better? Note that I'm not really looking to upsize particularly but just wondering if the stock stuff is good enough or should I consider better options.

I believe OEM options are JK Tyre, MRF and Bridgestone so am relieved my car has the Bridgestones on it even though I don't know the model. If anyone has brand / model upgrade suggestions to more quiet or better grip (without necessarily upping the specs unless absolutely necessary), please do suggest. Stock comes with 185 65 R15.
Old 16th August 2012, 00:15   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After checking out most vehicles in the market, I have now narrowed down to choose between the Sunny petrol/diesel , Honda city , verna petrol and vento petrol. Maruti diesels (z variants) have long waiting periods due to manesar problems-only v variants are available. SX4 celebration diesel is available at 10.5. Verna / Vento / Rapid diesels are above 11.5 - 12 lacs almost 2 lac difference.
Quote:

I now got to choose between
Sunny petrol - 8.2
Sunny Diesel - 9.9
Verna Petrol - 9.8
Vento Petrol - 10.25
Honda City - 9
SX4 celebration DDis - 10.5

Which one is a better buy , considering my daily running of 30 kms?
I'll leave the choice of fuel to you although my gut feeling is that with your running petrol is probably better.

Petrol: In petrol, I'd blindly go for the Honda City amongst the various options. No two ways about it. Its powerful, extremely reliable, comfortable and spacious and easy & economical to maintain.

Diesel: If you are ok with very good (albeit not segment cracking best) performance, I think the Sunny makes the most sense. I personally think the interiors are quite nice although the Vento does feel richer.

Only if you want absolutely the segment best "diesel" performer AND are willing to shell out the extra cash that's above your preferred budget, you should consider the Rapid / Vento.

I really wouldn't consider the Verna at all. IMHO its an average overpriced car that doesn't excel on the basics and instead offers bling and is feature packed.

In Summary:

Honda City if petrol and Nissan Sunny if diesel. I personally think the City suits your requirements to a tee.

Keep us updated on the final choice.

Cheers
Old 24th August 2012, 09:28   #126
Team-BHP Support

And the Sunny is finally home as of last evening. Well managed delivery process by Ichibaan Nissan.

Here's a teaser pic for now. I am going to try and put up a review outlining the detailed decision making process as well as some initial impressions once I've got enough time with the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse-20120823_175403.jpg  

Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 00:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

GTO, nice review. I am almost fixed on getting Sunny XL as my next car. I am partly hating myself for picking this car. But apart from lack of entusiastic performance, everything else about the car suits perfect for me. These days I am madly in love with cycling. I prefer commuting to work by my cycle and pleasure ride during weekends is also on a cycle where I ride 50 KMS with my club.

I need a sedan which is spacious for 4 members, decent ride and driveability, Japanese reliability as I plan to keep the car for atleast 5 years and easy on pocket. I am willing to compromise on performance for once as I have my cycle for adrenaline rush. I would have preferred Vento, but another few thousands of EMI might be a pinch for me every month.

My daily commute is about 10 KMS (If I am not biking to work). Past few months my montly usage is coming to less than 1000KMS. I travel twice in a year to my home town which is about 1100 KMS round trip.

I too felt the price difference of about 95000 between XL and XV is not worth it. I would spend the difference on a good set of alloys and leather seats. I will mostly go with metallic red color.

The experiance I had at Laxmi Nissan in Hyderabad is fantastic. Mr. Chowdary, the sales executive there is very knowledgeable person. He too advised to go with XL. The folks at Skoda & Ranault are worse. I guess the later got carried away with the response for Duster.

I am seeing lot of Sunnys in Hyderabad and other towns in AP. I believe Sunny is slowly taking over Indigo customers. I believe if I want to replace my car, it will be easier to sell Sunny.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 12:39   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Satish,

Coincidentally, I am typing this post from the backseat of my Sunny. Each time I sit here, I pat myself on the back for the choice made. The air-con has chilled me to the bone and the fuel gauge moves the slowest of all cars we've owned . I do have more space than the dude in a 3 series next to me, and a more compliant ride too.

Suggestion : Why not check out the Scala? Our review will be up in the coming days. I love the Scala's front & rear end design; it looks far more mature than the quirky Sunny.

Only downside may be that Renault prices it higher (due to their brand aspirations).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 15:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO. Willing to wait for Scala as I am not in a hurry. Do you know when it will be launched? From the pictures online, I felt front and rear design in Scala do not sync each other well. While the front looks sporty, rear looks like a luxury premium car, similar to old DZire. Did you see it in real?
Old 4th September 2012, 03:56   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section.
Hi GTO and other Sunny owners. Have you undertaken or are planning to undertake any mods or external accessories for the car? I noticed that you haven't even it rear parking sensors. Please do share the details if you've made any modifications or added any accessories.

My car is currently completely in stock condition and I intend to keep it that way. Only considering the following extras:

- rear parking sensors / reverse camera (near term)
- leather / leatherette seats (mid term / long term plan). I was just wondering on an off chance if it is possible to extend the seat a little bit with extra cushioning while adding leather seats to improve under-thigh support. Just a bit of a wild thought but just curious if this is really far fetched or worth considering if one has a quality after market mod guy.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:58   #131

Hi GTO - Once again and excellent and very helpful review! I have a query regaridng Sunny's (Diesel) ability to take mountain drives. I live in Delhi and may occassionaly play weekend getaways towards hills.

What would be your take on Sunny's performance in the hills? Is the power good enough to pull through the climb with 5 people onboard and luggage? And how about the tackling of mountain turns?

look forward to your response!

cheers,
-ankur
Old 4th September 2012, 18:27   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Have you undertaken or are planning to undertake any mods or external accessories for the car?
My car is currently bone stock. The chilling air-con & sunfilm legality issues mean I never got around to shopping for vkool. I don't plan to mod it in any way. Period.

Quote:
I noticed that you haven't even it rear parking sensors.
Even in barges like the S-Class, I prefer to park without parking sensors.

Quote:
I was just wondering on an off chance if it is possible to extend the seat a little bit with extra cushioning while adding leather seats to improve under-thigh support.
Should be very easy. Get in touch with any competent upholstery guy. Just ensure you get the measurements & angle correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloemperor View Post
I have a query regaridng Sunny's (Diesel) ability to take mountain drives. I live in Delhi and may occassionaly play weekend getaways towards hills.
Good power to weight ratio + zero turbo lag = Excellent in the hills. Rather, atleast as good as direct competitors, if not superior.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 10:53   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good power to weight ratio + zero turbo lag = Excellent in the hills. Rather, atleast as good as direct competitors, if not superior.
Thanks GTO for the reply!

Would you suggest updating the stock wheels to 15'' Alloys for the XL variant of the car? Will it void the warranty?
Old 5th September 2012, 11:08   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My car is currently bone stock. The chilling air-con & sunfilm legality issues mean I never got around to shopping for vkool. I don't plan to mod it in any way. Period.
GTO, need your practical advice on going ahead with sunfilm. I am getting my Jazz this weekend, and have been advised by many to go for sunfilm given the huge glass area. Have inquired with few vendors, all claiming to do "RTO approved" sunfilms. What is the final word on this - is there anything such as a "RTO approved" sunfilm grade?

Your advice on this will be most appreciated. Apologies if I digressed from the subject of this thread.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 5th September 2012, 11:18   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkurup View Post
GTO, need your practical advice on going ahead with sunfilm. I am getting my Jazz this weekend, and have been advised by many to go for sunfilm given the huge glass area. Have inquired with few vendors, all claiming to do "RTO approved" sunfilms. What is the final word on this - is there anything such as a "RTO approved" sunfilm grade?

Your advice on this will be most appreciated. Apologies if I digressed from the subject of this thread.

Thanks,
Rahul
Rahul, it is illegal to stick or modify the stock glass of the car. There is no such thing as RTO approved anymore. However, if you want to risk it, go for a really light (70 vlt or more) all around and you might get lucky not getting caught!
MindSpeeDs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks