Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 10:56   #331
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Excellent explanation. You are so right about getting things done your way. This is not only applicable to custom jobs for cars though.
For our home, my father wanted a sliding gate that would slide across smoothly. It took 3 attempts before the gate fit the way it should and looked the way father had asked them to make. Wasn't highly technical job either but the fabricators messed up even basic measurements. On one occasion the wheels were not welded in a straight line. When they came to install it did not fit onto the rail (obviously) at that point they tried to blame the rail saying it was curved.

I saw a few Thars with lamps near the ORVM and one even with a lightbar above the windshield. Didn't know the police cared about it but makes sense.

Looking forward to more updates from you!
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 18:29   #332
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 847 Times
Default Eight wheel drive?

The silhouette of the Jeep CRD, as it is perched on a tank-bund!
A cloudy sky and it's tantalizing reflection on the water below!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-8wd.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 17:01   #333
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 847 Times
Default The Phoenix!

Like the proverbial phoenix rising from the ashes, the devil that was once an angel!



Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-jeep.jpg
cpbopanna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:30   #334
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Just bought 2016 Thar with 33k miles on it. Thought I will mention it here as this thread is one of my favorites. Some immediate changes I have planned: wheel spacers for the rear track, Wrangler look a like tail lamps, limb risers and hardtop from Hyderabad or Azad.
Just one trip to our farm and the vehicle already managed to scratch itself with the low hanging tree branches. I should have gotten those limb risers before making the trip.
Going back to wheel spacers, which ones do you have on your Thar? I found Swastikfab, bluegarage, Azad4x4, Bimbra all have their own version to make it confusing.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 17:03   #335
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 847 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just bought 2016 Thar with 33k miles on it. Thought I will mention it here as this thread is one of my favorites. Some immediate changes I have planned: wheel spacers for the rear track, Wrangler look a like tail lamps, limb risers and hardtop from Hyderabad or Azad.
Just one trip to our farm and the vehicle already managed to scratch itself with the low hanging tree branches. I should have gotten those limb risers before making the trip.
Going back to wheel spacers, which ones do you have on your Thar? I found Swastikfab, bluegarage, Azad4x4, Bimbra all have their own version to make it confusing.
Hi Amol, mine are spacers (wheel-adapters) made of MS supplied by a gentleman called Vinay Thomas. I have his old number - 96111-30954, he should be available on the same number even now! I paid 8.5k years ago, may cost around 15k currently!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 17:56   #336
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Hi Amol, mine are spacers (wheel-adapters) made of MS supplied by a gentleman called Vinay Thomas. I have his old number - 96111-30954, he should be available on the same number even now! I paid 8.5k years ago, may cost around 15k currently!
Thanks Mr. Bopanna. I see that bluegarage has spacers for 7k and swastikfab for 8k. I'll check with the gentleman mentioned by you too.

In the meantime, upgraded headlights to Philips 100/90 with Philips relay to handle the extra load. Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm following some of your mods, please excuse!

Vin4x4 FRP HT which is originally a design by Bimbra is on the order too. Should be here by next Friday. My mechanic already has a few ideas on his mind regarding high mounted tail lights (on the HT) and extra glass panel on each side of the rear door's glass the way Gurkha has. Waiting eagerly.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 10:24   #337
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 820
Thanked: 545 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post

In the meantime, upgraded headlights to Philips 100/90 with Philips relay to handle the extra load.
Did you install separate relays for Left/Right or High/Low? I have experienced melting and fuse tripping with the conventional Phillips harness readily available. As it has only one relay and I was running Phillips 130/100W, I modified it by adding two separate relays - now I am running GE 140/100W

Last edited by KkVaidya : 25th December 2020 at 10:25.
KkVaidya is offline  
Old 25th December 2020, 11:58   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 3,565 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

I changed the headlights to Hella sealed beam replacements , the box says lens imported from Austria, regardless the illumination with 60/55W is amazing. Earlier Lumax had a narrow beam pattern, this one is perfect.
Kosfactor is online now  
Old 25th December 2020, 19:13   #339
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Did you install separate relays for Left/Right or High/Low? I have experienced melting and fuse tripping with the conventional Phillips harness readily available. As it has only one relay and I was running Phillips 130/100W, I modified it by adding two separate relays - now I am running GE 140/100W
Just one. Heard some second hand stories that 130/100 can melt the reflector and was told to avoid them. I had a long-ish drive last night and felt that 100/90 made a lot of difference. For now I'm happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I changed the headlights to Hella sealed beam replacements , the box says lens imported from Austria, regardless the illumination with 60/55W is amazing. Earlier Lumax had a narrow beam pattern, this one is perfect.
Do you product link, I haven't looked into this. Sounds like a good idea.
amol4184 is online now  
Old 25th December 2020, 19:49   #340
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 820
Thanked: 545 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I changed the headlights to Hella sealed beam replacements , the box says lens imported from Austria, regardless the illumination with 60/55W is amazing. Earlier Lumax had a narrow beam pattern, this one is perfect.
Where did your source them from? I was thinking of getting Cibie reflectors but they are damn expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just one. Heard some second hand stories that 130/100 can melt the reflector and was told to avoid them. I had a long-ish drive last night and felt that 100/90 made a lot of difference. For now I'm happy.
Thar has glass reflectors so no problem of melting - that theory stands true only for plastic lens. Just put two separate relays and discover the magic of 130 watts.
KkVaidya is offline  
Old 25th December 2020, 20:51   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 3,565 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

It is available online but I got it from a local car electrician shop when I visited him for some other work. It costed around 800 per side.

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-img_20201011_095837.jpg

The Lumax assembly stays intact, but the lens, reflector and dust cap will change.

I'll find the original box and send a picture in a bit.

Cibie is the best without a doubt but incredibly expensive.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:52   #342
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Hello everyone here, I think I have an issue with glass used for front windows - it’s super reflective, almost creating blindspot especially in city driving and making tight turns. I didn’t see this mentioned in the reviews. Am I the only one?
And IRVM vibrates like there’s no tomorrow. What baffles me is that the engine is exceedingly smooth and hardly vibrates. Where’s this silly IRVM picking up vibrations :s I checked the two screws with which it’s bolted and they are tight. What can be done?
amol4184 is online now  
Old 28th December 2020, 23:24   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 3,565 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Hello everyone here, I think I have an issue with glass used for front windows - itís super reflective, almost creating blindspot especially in city driving and making tight turns. I didnít see this mentioned in the reviews. Am I the only one?
And IRVM vibrates like thereís no tomorrow. What baffles me is that the engine is exceedingly smooth and hardly vibrates. Whereís this silly IRVM picking up vibrations :s I checked the two screws with which itís bolted and they are tight. What can be done?
The almost vertical and tinted side glass, the relatively dark interior all together will reflect images from the driver side on the passenger side glass . You will get used to it. A known quirk and has been mentioned in earlier posts.

Replace the IRVM, the ball where it pivots must have worn out , or the windshield frame needs tightening or its the cross braces from the targa band to the windshield frame that needs tightening.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:30   #344
BHPian
 
amol4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle/Pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Good tip. I'll check the cross braces. Some people also did Bolero IRVM upgrade. Wonder if that will help owing to mount being different design.
amol4184 is online now  
Old 29th December 2020, 12:48   #345
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 820
Thanked: 545 Times
Default Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Good tip. I'll check the cross braces. Some people also did Bolero IRVM upgrade. Wonder if that will help owing to mount being different design.
I have done the change to Bolero IRVM. The quality level is tad better then the one that comes standard in Thar but not as good as other mainstream cars.

I used a cork sheet behind the mirror and the body to rule out the vibrations. You will have to get longer bolts though - but putting cut cork sheet as a damper worked really well.
You will get an A4 size sheet at your nearby stationery shop.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks