Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Congratualtions and Keep going CPBopanna!

People like you are, only making me to listen to my heart and go for it, day by day.

Request you to pls share the costs after you upgrade your brakes as per the XLS sheet attached.
The major two deterants for not taking the plunge till now to buy my Thar, was due to non avaialbility of A/C and Hard top.

As A/C is now OEM fitted, I am now only waiting for 'Hyd Hard Top' (Cost does matter ofcourse) atleast, if note the OEM version.

Don't know how long it would be..

Mean while, request you to keep chirping all kinds of experiences with your ride...

Happy Jeeping!.

Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 18:39   #17
BHPian

Congrats on your new set of wheels and wishing you a Safe miles in the years to come.
kiransri_bng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 23:50   #18
BHPian

Many congratulations!

As said earlier, it indeed is persons such as you who inspire folk like me to actually take the plunge into the well of Jeepsters!
Hope you have joyful miles ahead in this journey called a Jeeper's Life

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 23:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Hi Bopanna

Can you please post pictures from the inside - the new rubber mats and also if there is an improvement on the gear boot for the 4 wheel lever.

Cheers
Carrot
Will do Carrot, just returned from a week's visit to Shanghai, please give me a day or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Congratulations Bopanna!!! Very nice color and a great writeup.

Keep us updated with the AC effectiveness and the rattle issues. I am hoping this should be sorted out with some good door beadings. Can the beading from other vehicles be installed on the Thar? I am sure there would be far better options from companies like Honda etc. Would cushion the door as well as seal the door better.

Also are you planning for a hard top?
I suppose a Hyderabad Hard Top is a necessity. Eagerly awaiting its arrival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Congratualtions and Keep going CPBopanna!

People like you are, only making me to listen to my heart and go for it, day by day.

Request you to pls share the costs after you upgrade your brakes as per the XLS sheet attached.
The major two deterants for not taking the plunge till now to buy my Thar, was due to non avaialbility of A/C and Hard top.

As A/C is now OEM fitted, I am now only waiting for 'Hyd Hard Top' (Cost does matter ofcourse) atleast, if note the OEM version.

Don't know how long it would be..

Mean while, request you to keep chirping all kinds of experiences with your ride...

Happy Jeeping!.

Thanks!

Maverick79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Congrats on your new set of wheels and wishing you a Safe miles in the years to come.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Many congratulations!

As said earlier, it indeed is persons such as you who inspire folk like me to actually take the plunge into the well of Jeepsters!
Hope you have joyful miles ahead in this journey called a Jeeper's Life

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Thank you Sam!
Old 18th June 2012, 08:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Bopanna, another question regarding the AC blower that comes in Thar.
Is there a blower vent below and above the dashboard too, for the foot well and the wind-shield?
And, if there are, do they work?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 18th June 2012, 10:42   #21
BHPian

Congrats Bopanna! A trip to Coorg is always recommended especially when you own a vehicle like Thar. The last time I was in Coorg, I had driven my friend's revamped Contessa from Bangalore to test the vehicle. Miss the place; not to mention pandi curry and dosa! I had stayed at Amathi and Veerajpet. lovely estates.

About the rattling, I have also been a victim of it. No matter what you do, it has a way to come back. Someone suggested that I secure the B-pillar onto the roll-cage. However, I am yet to do it, as I don't have the roll cage on mine. Hoping that I may be able to source it from Nashik.

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 18th June 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Changed spellings of places mentioned
Old 18th June 2012, 12:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Can you please post inside pictures, of the dashboard et all
Old 18th June 2012, 17:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear cpbopanna - congratulations and thanks for posting your observations. I read with delight, your comments that you have purchased the Thar in place of your passenger car. This reinforces what I had always said that "Thar can compete with mainstream passenger cars and occupy the customers' latent mindspace". Alas, if only people listen! I hope at least now somebody listens, then, they can at least start to think what all to do to this platform, mechanically and bodywise, to finally make the "real" Thar (like my beloved MH01V521). I have proved my statement. QED! Vinod, now it's all yours, please push this with the powers that be!

The clutch is hydraulically operated. There is no cable. Please indicate your observations on clutch and gear shift effort increase, I will guide you in totality. For door rattle, I have indicated the solution on the forum. They cannot do it in production (remember Ramayana + Mahabharata?) but you can do on your car and ensure your peace of mind, after all it is only simple logic at work here, cost should also be minimal.

Dear all - on clutch, this suddenly reminds me, the bottom clutch flexible pipe is prone to breaking in offroad condition (I did it because it is common with Bolero VLX, sorry and all that), you can upgrade by using the Scorpio M2DI pipe with its banjo connection. I will give full details shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 18th June 2012 at 17:05. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 08:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
For door rattling, please reinforce the Targa band by adding a local reinforcement at its bottom. This should ideally be a 44.45 mm diameter (1.75 inch) OD pipe, running the length of the floor, taking cues from the rear floor welded nuts which we have provided for Europe application / domestic seat belt mounting on the floor. The idea is to increase the section modulus. Once the B pillar gets this reinforcement, door rattling will stop as dimensions will retain as per requirement.
Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Can you kindly help us with more details on this fix. For someone like me - who had to look up what a Targa Band is, I don't get it - What is it that needs to be done. I am sure there are many like me - A simple sketch can make a huge difference and if it is a simple fix - Will want to get this done to make the Thar a lot more quieter.

Thanks
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 08:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Can you kindly help us with more details on this fix. For someone like me - who had to look up what a Targa Band is, I don't get it - What is it that needs to be done. I am sure there are many like me - A simple sketch can make a huge difference and if it is a simple fix - Will want to get this done to make the Thar a lot more quieter.

Thanks
I second this. Most of us are not familiar with terminologies related to the mechanical aspects of an automobile. It would be a lot easier for us to comprehend if you could take the effort to break-down jargons to simple elementary everyday terms. That will make our lives a lot simpler!

Also Mr. DB, for the first time ever since I bought the Thar, the Mahindra ASC has been very understanding and responsive. They not only went to the extent of bringing in an expert to help me with one of the issues, but also gave me a well deserved waiver for the job. Better late than never, I opine!

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 19th June 2012 at 08:42. Reason: added an extra note
Old 19th June 2012, 10:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am stuck to this thread. I am still awaiting my TD and will take the call after I have done the same. I was hoping the Silver, yet your thread has me going for the R.beige.

Please post interior pics if any?
Old 19th June 2012, 13:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Can you kindly help us with more details on this fix. For someone like me - who had to look up what a Targa Band is, I don't get it - What is it that needs to be done. I am sure there are many like me - A simple sketch can make a huge difference and if it is a simple fix - Will want to get this done to make the Thar a lot more quieter. Thanks
Dear Carrot Eater / Trueintrepid - I fully understand your query and I am trying my level best to keep the language simple, but being a product engineer, there is a way in which we communicate. For example, I do not know what else to call targa band. Anyways, now the internet is always there to help you out. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

For stopping the doors from rattling, you have to essentially stop the relative movement between the door and the targa band, and / or insulate the door sheet metal from the targa band sheet metal. Anything which will stop this relative movement will stop the rattling because then only the door lock will be able to do its job properly. There can be many ways to do this. Look at the rubber beadings provided on the door frames / targa band inner side. An alternate beading or a longer length of beading can suffice. Use the welded nut above the top seat belt mounting point to support the targa band with the South africa roll over bar (as in Rajith's vehicle). I know that you don't have this roll over bar. Look at the CL500MDI BS2 Major vehicle (predecessor of Thar DI). It has two stout angularly placed pipes supporting it's seat belt mounting pipe. You can do something similar, taking support to the rear of the body, or you can support the bottom of the targa band as I had previously indicated. Any decent garage with a person having a similar thinking to what I have indicated and having decent fabrication capability will be able to give you a decent result at reasonable cost. Sadly, this quality is now dwindling, people only want to do standard jobs, nobody wants to pause and apply thought.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

I always enjoy reading Thar ownership reviews (have read them all on T-BHP). The love / passion just oozes through. A very balanced review.

Love the wheels and Rocky Beige is my fav color on the Thar (and I think is the highest selling too). All she needs now is a set of AT shoes and "ze look" will be complete.

Dhabhar sir - I am not a Thar owner but this vehicle is very close to my heart. Whilst its great that you have provided such detailed explaination of what is to be done to stop the doors from rattling, I wonder why this is not implemented at the Mahindra assembly line itself (especially when the issue and the resolution of the same is already known). I am sure the owners would not mind a nominal increase in price for a rattle free drive as opposed to try and figure out the targas and what not.

PS - I do know that you are no longer associated with Mahindra (congos on the "new" job), but just saying.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th June 2012 at 23:36.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:40   #29
BHPian

Coorg... Thar... AC.... Wild Elephant... High beams.... I can only imagine, I can only imagine Lucky you !! I just cant describe the state of my mind now. You sir, are living my dream !!!

Wish you loads and loads of happy thar miles keep jeeping !!
bilalsyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 15:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Bopanna, another question regarding the AC blower that comes in Thar.
Is there a blower vent below and above the dashboard too, for the foot well and the wind-shield?
And, if there are, do they work?
Cheers,
Deepak
Deepak

The HVAC in the first generation Maruti 800 was more advanced!

The Thar has two vents in the middle, and and one on each side.
The vents may be opened, or closed, and the direction of air-flow changed, both vertically and horizontally (though to a limited extent)

Insofar as air-flow is concerned, there is a blower switch with 3 positions (knob).
The air-conditioner has a thermostat (which serves as the on-off control) + temperature control (knob)
The heater has a simple on-off option (knob), and no temperature control!

I haven't used the heater so far. I guess to control the (hot) temperature, one needs to use the heater in conjunction with the air-conditioner, and use the thermostat to control the degree of heat!

There is no option to choose between fresh air or re-circulated air or control the flow from face to feet to windscreen!
There are no vents other than the 4 at the face level!

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed