Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 22:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Congratulations Bopanna! The color and the alloys are a sure winner! Your write up is highly appreciated as it is detailed and apt, gives the right perspective of the THAR to future potential buyers.

Some close up pictures-interiors and exteriors will do justice and suffice our hunger

Happy Motoring!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 23:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Congrats Bopanna,

Please share the video link if you decide it to share on public web, will be interesting to some.
Wish you many more happy miles ahead!
Drive safe!
I have posted the link to the video on YouTube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Many congratulations.

On another note, IMO you did take a great risk trying to engage a wild elephant. Your wife was right in stopping you. Believe me it is very dangerous and there is no way you can predict how an animal in the wild will react. I have had a close shave once when one alpha male charged the vehicle I was in because it felt we were too close for its comfort. The Thar CRDe might be mighty but a wild elephant can crush it. Do be careful in future in such situations since the safety and security of your family comes first.
Thank you for the concern! The place where I come from in Coorg, I have Wild Elephants frolicking in my front yard! Not to mention the occasional Bison or a Panther! Actually, I've got quite used to having beasts around!
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
The HVAC in the first generation Maruti 800 was more advanced! There are no vents other than the 4 at the face level! Bopanna
Dear cpbopanna - I am not justifying anything but what you have mentioned as being there in your Thar CRDe is because the same thing is there in Bolero SLX also, including the instrument panel (2010 model). The whole damn thing is common. Previously, there was no AC. Now, there is AC. As CMVR demands it from 1 April 2012, there is heater also. That's all. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:56   #34
BHPian

[quote=cpbopanna;2815683]I have posted the link to the video on YouTube!

Glad you guys stood your ground and didn't back up on spotting the elephant. He may have charged at you thinking you are running away.
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 10:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Bopanna congrats on your Thar. Looks gorgeous and will be looking forward to your upgrades if you planned any.

Where was this elephant at? Is this the Murkal route? I always get to see atleast one in the balele hunsur route always! Got chased 2 times
Old 21st June 2012, 11:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Bopanna congrats on your Thar. Looks gorgeous and will be looking forward to your upgrades if you planned any.

Where was this elephant at? Is this the Murkal route? I always get to see atleast one in the balele hunsur route always! Got chased 2 times
The elephant was between Kembukolli and Nagarahole!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 08:52   #37
BHPian

Couple of updates and pictures!

Found the time to sort out my door rattling issue (for now)!! Fixed the Chaff Guard and Head/Tail Lamp grills at the same time

The first impression at India Garage Whitefield is that it's pathetic,
I would rate a Government Office better!

However the Service Advisor was much better!

The Chaff Guard and Head/Tail lamp grills appear to have been made by either a lunatic or a drunkard!
There is no symmetry, the finish is atrocious, and the whole nine yards!

However, in my opinion, the Jeep looks better with these additions.

Small changes I have made for now(/ planning for the near future):

1) Removed the LARGE Mahindra lettering below the front windscreen, my Jeep IS a Mahindra and there is no need to scream out loud

2) Removed the reflective tape on the front bumper, I simply do not like it! For improving front visibility, I am fixing two white round reflectors on either end on the bumper, there are holes present and additional drilling is not required.

3) Removed the original 'Billboard' type rear number-plate. Fixed the number-plate directly into the nuts welded onto the bumper. However, the number-plate is too thin and may require additional bracing.

4) Spoken to Vinod Nookala and Rajith regarding the South African type roll-cage. I am seriously contemplating it!

5) Identified 2 Honda City seats at the Shivajinagar Gujiri. If all goes well and I identify a good fabricator, the City seats will replace the OEM front seats, which in-turn will go to the rear!

6) I will be fixing Hella fog lamps next week! Cost around INR 8 k, including fixing but are a necessity. The spread of the original Headlamps is inadequate, in spite of upgrading the bulbs. Can someone please suggest alternative domes?

I was right about the thermostat of the Aircon being faulty. The in-effectiveness of the Aircon/chattering of the relay has been due to the faulty thermostat. During my next visit, the thermostat will be replaced.

I have personally removed and re-aligned the rubber boot of the two gear levers. I have not had a problem of the (4wd) boot working itself free so far!!

Will keep you posted
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-insect-mesh-headlamp-guard.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-front-right-profile.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-dashboard-closeup.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-air-con-controls-closeup.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-front-rubbesr-mats.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-tacky-glove-box.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rubber-mats.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rubber-mat-rear.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-right-profile.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-gear-lever-boot.jpg  

Last edited by cpbopanna : 24th June 2012 at 08:56.
Old 24th June 2012, 20:09   #38
BHPian

Hi Bopanna do update on the Honda city seats in front. Eagerly waiting for the pics. Is the hella an upgrade of the headlamp or additional fog lamp?
Old 25th June 2012, 09:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Chaff Guard and Head/Tail lamp grills appear to have been made by either a lunatic or a drunkard! There is no symmetry, the finish is atrocious, and the whole nine yards!

Removed the reflective tape on the front bumper, I simply do not like it! For improving front visibility, I am fixing two white round reflectors on either end on the bumper, there are holes present and additional drilling is not required.

Removed the original 'Billboard' type rear number-plate.

Spoken to Vinod Nookala and Rajith regarding the South African type roll-cage. I am seriously contemplating it!

I will be fixing Hella fog lamps next week! Cost around INR 8 k, including fixing but are a necessity. The spread of the original Headlamps is inadequate, in spite of upgrading the bulbs. Can someone please suggest alternative domes?

Will keep you posted
Dear cpbopanna - my replies to your comments are as follows:

There are changes required on the radiator chaff screen with respect to army MM540 screen due to the absence of mounting slots in the front grille in Thar CRDe. What is sold is army part. It is not expected to fit properly. . Also, fit and finish of all these parts is indeed terrible. I fought, as a result I attended a couple of meetings on this but that was about all. If the aim is to realize accessory sales in crores of rupees, what sells as the accessory does not seem to matter, then the result will be what you have indicated. Sad but true, I hope this gets corrected.

The front bumper has the reflective tape because its part number is same as that of Max Maxi Truck. If tape is removed, it calls for a change in part number, which starts with product concept form, goes from PPRF to FTR and then inventory control, which is a huge Ramayana + Mahabharata. I spared myself the agony, as I kept the part number same. Then, it just gets procured and fitted. Thanks for removing the tape, I did not like it either. The holes are for reflex reflectors, compulory for Max Maxi Truck as it is an LCV (N1 category) vehicle. Actually, you can throw the complete bumper out and fit the original Jeep bumper. The vehicle will look much better and more balanced from the front. I have given complete details in DKG's thread.

"Billboard" number plate is the result of commonizing European number plate in domestic. The number plate light angle required for Europe is 18 degrees. Actually, you can throw out the complete rear bumper extensions, procure original CJ3B army stainless steel elliptical bumperettes and fit them. With the front bumper, this will complete the Jeep look. If you can locate and fit the aluminium "Jeep" logos on the sides, it will be the best. The details are there in DKG's thread.

Go for the South Africa roll over bar. It provides a very good and balanced look to the vehicle overall.

Production headlamps are born out of CMVR, so the vehicle comes with them, can't be helped. I have given complete details on headlamp upgradation on page number 60 of the lighting thread in this forum. The best reflectors by far are the "Cibie Concave", made in france. If you can somehow get them, nothing comes close. They are very difficult to obtain. The other choice is to use Lucas TVS assymetric beam reflectors. Both these reflectors accept P45t bulbs only. Hella H4 is a good alternative but the low beam falls too close to the vehicle. Other reflectors will scatter the beam pattern. You must go to 140/110 watts. Wire the system as I have indicated. The electrician must have the passion and the patience to do such a job, so please locate a good guy, they are quite rare nowadays. You may be able to locate stainless steel headlight rings also. They were used in some Kandivli production vehicles some years back.

I am not against you changing front seats (its your decision), but please ensure mounting rigidity or else you will lose driving pleasure.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
4) Spoken to Vinod Nookala and Rajith regarding the South African type roll-cage. I am seriously contemplating it!
cpbopanna - Would you know- how much would it cost and how do you go about procuring one.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:59   #41
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your Thar Bopanna - it looks stunning in those wheels. Nice choice of alloys Btw, what part of Kodagu are you from?!
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Production headlamps are born out of CMVR,
DB sir, but would a CMVR regulation affect the beam pattern ? Cant we have a good beam pattern even with a 55/60 ?
(Eg: I am actually happy with the throw of my stock 55/60 on the Ikon TDCi)

Or are you refering to something different ?
Old 4th July 2012, 01:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
cpbopanna - Would you know- how much would it cost and how do you go about procuring one.
Cheers
Carrot
I have placed an order for the SA roll bar at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore; expected period of delivery 2 - 4 weeks; approximate cost - Rs. 10,000/-.
Please contact Mr. Chandrashekar, the head of the Accessory section, his office is in the mezzanine floor (you can mention my name and Rajith's, if you so please!)

Part numbers are as follows:
0101GAD00170N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR LH EXPORT
0101GAD00180N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR RH EXPORT
0101GAD00250N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR FRONT EXPORT

After speaking with Vinod Nookala, he was kind enough to patch me up with Rajith who gladly shared the Part Nos. with me and also gave me a set of Allen bolts required for the installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Congrats on your Thar Bopanna - it looks stunning in those wheels. Nice choice of alloys Btw, what part of Kodagu are you from?!
Thanks, NIP. I am from Kutta.
And pray, which part of Coorg are you from?

Last edited by cpbopanna : 4th July 2012 at 01:45.
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 08:03   #44
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, NIP. I am from Kutta.
And pray, which part of Coorg are you from?
I'm from Bangalore, but my wife is a Coorg and she's from Kakkabe.
Old 4th July 2012, 09:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=cpbopanna;2828568] I have placed an order for the SA roll bar at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore; expected period of delivery 2 - 4 weeks; approximate cost - Rs. 10,000/-. Please contact Mr. Chandrashekar, the head of the Accessory section, his office is in the mezzanine floor (you can mention my name and Rajith's, if you so please!)

Part numbers are as follows:
0101GAD00170N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR LH EXPORT
0101GAD00180N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR RH EXPORT
0101GAD00250N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR FRONT EXPORT

After speaking with Vinod Nookala, he was kind enough to patch me up with Rajith who gladly shared the Part Nos. with me and also gave me a set of Allen bolts required for the installation. [quote]

Dear cpbopanna and all - this is so hilarious, I must share! .

When I told them to do South Africa roll over bar as an accessory in domestic, they did not listen to me. Now, all guys are asking for it! The least that they can do now is sell 14 allen bolts also as part of the kit and make some more money, because without allen bolts, you cannot fit South Africa roll over bar! There is also one more bracket for which the part number is RVM3503 and its name is Lamiera Piegata. This is the bracket which supports the targa band from the center of the South Africa roll over bar. Rajith - this is the bracket I told you to do locally.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed