Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 20:34   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

Thats some clocking miles on the Tjet. Nice pictures by the way. Would you please share the full resolution picture of the last but one picture, its come out very nice.

The tuscan wine color is very nice, but a pain to maintain in dusty conditions.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Thats some clocking miles on the Tjet. Nice pictures by the way. Would you please share the full resolution picture of the last but one picture, its come out very nice.

The tuscan wine color is very nice, but a pain to maintain in dusty conditions.
Thanks Krishna, please pm your email address and I will email the high-res pic. The pics were 8-9 MB each so, I had to resize all of them.

I guess the gloomy weather, dust and some post editing resulted in the confusion on colour. It's Bronzo Scuro
Old 18th January 2013, 12:57   #63
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the second service update Biraj. Glad to know you are enjoying the car nicely. Wish you many more years of niggle-free ownership with the t-Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
  • Beige paint of cup holder is wearing off. - This started within a couple of months of purchase and I reported this during the first service too. The reason is unknown as I don't smoke and don't even keep the ashtray there. The cup holders have patches of black plastic visible. It has been over 6 months and Oberoi still doesn't have the beige paint required to rectify it.
Strange to read about this. The only possible reason I can think of is if you had used Ambipur or some such perfume which might have dripped on the cup holder (I had this experience once in my Accent - that thing is corrosive), or maybe used the cup holders to store some other corrosive material, nail polish removers or some such thing? I know it sounds weird but we all love detective work, don't we? *lol*

I do not recommend re-painting the cup holders, since the post-painting color will not match with the existing appearance, and it will not blend with the rest of the beige theme on the dash. Try to get the whole cupholder part as spare. I will try fetching the part number for you in the Fiat spare parts list.

Quote:
After the service, the temperature reading on ACC started blinking. The issue got rectified on its own.
Temperature reading blinks if it is unable to maintain the temperature to whatever value you set. This is even visible on a very hot day if you set it to 16 degrees and outside air mode, it will blink momentarily. If you had set the blower on without A/C, it will blink since it cannot control the temperature without the A/C on.

Quote:
Another challenge I see with owning a Fiat is that one can not trust the SAs to do the job properly. Thus for a person like me (no time during weekdays and too many prior commitments during weekends) it is a tough car to get serviced. With my Santro, I used to just list all the issues to SA over phone and he used to get the car picked from my office and deliver it after service. I was extremely satisfied with their service. With Fiat, I have to stand there else the work will not be done properly.
With me, I find it the exact opposite. Hyundai staff were arrogant and treating all cars as routine work, not paying heed to some of my complaints, etc. The Fiat dealership at Bangalore is fantastic, and I hardly have to followup for problems, etc since they find it themselves most of the times.

Quote:
Goodyear NCT 5 seems to be wearing very fast. I have lost 65% thread within 15K kms. I lodged a complaint but Goodyear guys say it's normal. Will drive for some more time and get the tyres changed to probable Bridgestone MY 01.
Same pinch. I did get replacement for 2 tyres though, from Goodyear. Bridgestone MY01 is a bit pricey, and most shops seem to suffer from shortage of stocks of this pattern. Check if your tyre retailer has stock of this pattern. If not available, you can always go for Turanza GR90 (a bit pricey) or Yokohama AVS DB 550 or Michelin Primacy LC. You can also look at Pirellis or Continentals.

Fantastic snaps by the way, the black and white effect makes the car look even more spectacular . Please mail me the full res version of this picture if possible - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc07447.jpg
I will keep it within my own collection, if you don't mind *winks*.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th January 2013 at 13:15.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks for the second service update Biraj. Glad to know you are enjoying the car nicely. Wish you many more years of niggle-free ownership with the t-Jet
Thanks Karthikk, only a fellow T-jetified soul will best understand how it feels to drive this wonderful machine.

Quote:
Strange to read about this. The only possible reason I can think of is if you had used Ambipur or some such perfume which might have dripped on the cup holder
The only thing that occupies space in the cup-holders is my phone. I know Blackberry corrodes personal life but not sure if it can do the same to plastic. Oberoi guys have agreed it's a defect and have agreed to replace the part. The issue is that the part has been out of stock for ages. I need to find time to push them. Since it's not a critical issue, I haven't given it the necessary priority.

Quote:
Temperature reading blinks if it is unable to maintain the temperature to whatever value you set.
This was something else. It crept in after the second service and got sorted by resetting the ECU.

Quote:
With me, I find it the exact opposite. Hyundai staff were arrogant and treating all cars as routine work, not paying heed to some of my complaints, etc. The Fiat dealership at Bangalore is fantastic, and I hardly have to followup for problems, etc since they find it themselves most of the times.
You guys in Bangalore are lucky. I am considering driving down to Bangalore for the next service (30K) The guys here are a pain to deal with. Least interested in sorting out issues and then have the audacity to call and ask for a rating of 9 or above. The SA called me twice to request "Sir, please give me a rating of 9 or above as it will help me. I promise I will solve all pending issues of your car." I simply refused to participate in the survey. Being a market researcher, I am exempted from participating in them.

Quote:
Fantastic snaps by the way, the black and white effect makes the car look even more spectacular . Please mail me the full res version of this picture if possible - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc07447.jpg
I will keep it within my own collection, if you don't mind *winks*.
Pics will be on your way today. Airtel guys decided to mess up the broadband at home so, couldn't send you the pics over weekend. Feel free to add them to your collection. There are some more B&W pics that I didn't upload, you might like those too.

Other updates:
A colleague was about to miss his train due to the ever so reliable cabbie that kept on telling him "Sir, 10 minutes" for over an hour. He asked me (and Crusoe) for help and we were there. We did manage to help him board the train on time but I noticed that Crusoe wasn't as nippy as usually is. I remember Sandeep (or somebody else) posting that ECU adapted to sedate driving and then did not react to aggressive driving. I guess I have been driving Crusoe a bit sedately for the past ~2K Kms so, have decided to give it the necessary sprints every week to ensure it is in peak condition. The clutch also seems to be a prospect as that Katt sound is still there and it is becoming slightly heavy. Will probably try the new Fiat exclusive service centre (Noida Phase 2) over weekend and get the clutch checked.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We did manage to help him board the train on time but I noticed that Crusoe wasn't as nippy as usually is.
How much additional weight were you carrying? It is natural for the car to not respond as well as it should if it is loaded up.

Quote:
The clutch also seems to be a prospect as that Katt sound is still there and it is becoming slightly heavy.
The clutch noise is worrying. My clutch starts to feel heavy only if I am constantly engaging and disengaging. Extended periods in bumper to bumper traffic causes this. The clutch action is back to normal once it cools down.

Quote:
I remember Sandeep (or somebody else) posting that ECU adapted to sedate driving and then did not react to aggressive driving.
It was not me but it was posted by someone else on my thread. I am not sure if such a thing (ECU adaption) exists. I very rarely floor the car when I drive in the city. There is really no scope to floor it. On the highway, I do go to 6000rpm quiet often as I noticed no major impact in fuel efficiency even when driven like this and the car is a riot when you push it. From day one, I have felt my car not as nippy as the thrashed test drive car I took from the dealer. The test drive car felt more powerful. I still suffer from a engine shudder problem. It is a problem I cannot replicate easily or demonstrate to the service engineer. The service engineer could not feel the engine shudder so I did not bother pursuing the matter. Besides; with no fault shown on the ECU scanner, where do you even start if you want to try and fix the problem. Its not there during cold starts and is noticeable only when the engine is hot and with no AC running. It is a irregular idle pattern but cannot be noticed even on the tachometer. The needle is absolutely steady. I live with this problem as there is no impact noticed in performance or efficiency and I do not want the service station to do guess work.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
How much additional weight were you carrying? It is natural for the car to not respond as well as it should if it is loaded up.
Not much, just two men with BMI in excess of 30. Maybe I felt it's not pushing enough as I was in a mad rush yesterday. I checked it on a open stretch of road today and it accelerated the way it should.

Quote:
The clutch noise is worrying. My clutch starts to feel heavy only if I am constantly engaging and disengaging. Extended periods in bumper to bumper traffic causes this. The clutch action is back to normal once it cools down.
There is a Fiat workshop (Dynamic Automobiles) near my office, about which I have read some rave reviews on PUG. I took it there during lunch hours and the guys there seemed very enthusiastic about working on a T-jet. The service guy had a grin of excitement on seeing Crusoe. I could hear him tell his colleagues "isme turbo hai, gazab bhaagti hain" (Translation: This car is turbocharged and sprints like crazy). I was a bit pensive but the moment I told him about the katt sound, he peeped into the foot-well and identified the nut on clutch slave cylinder as the reason for it. I told him Oberoi guys had tightened it during service. He said, they must have missed it as it's very loose. He took the car inside service area and worked on it for some 30 minutes; and now there's no Katt noise. Will test it for a few days before appreciating him. They also changed the faulty headlight bulb and adjusted the beam.

Quote:
On the highway, I do go to 6000rpm quiet often as I noticed no major impact in fuel efficiency even when driven like this and the car is a riot when you push it. From day one, I have felt my car not as nippy as the thrashed test drive car I took from the dealer. The test drive car felt more powerful. I still suffer from a engine shudder problem.
I usually drive between 1800-3500 range and occasionally push it to 4500. Taking it beyond 4500 becomes difficult either due to presence of traffic or lack of roads. I also experienced mild shudder at around 1500 RPM but it just happened 3-4 times. It usually used to happen when I was moving at 40-50 KMPH on 5th gear and accelerated slowly. There would be a shudder and then it will be back to normal. I couldn't replicate it to the SA and it didn't reoccur. The fact that T-jet engines were manufactured outside India and not many experts will be there at local service stations, makes me wary of asking them to diagnose these types of problems.
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:23   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today, on 16th January Cursoe has completed 16,000 KMs.

Things are fine after the second service. It's a welcome relief to not see those "Airbag failure" alarms. The tyres are beginning to cause irritation with the excessive noise and might get changed soon (Vitamin M permitted).
Nice to see your car is doing great! One of those shots is EXCELLENT!

Quote:
The spot that I repaired on rear bumper, got hit again. This time inside a car parking and that too at one of the busier markets in Delhi (Def col). Two hits at exactly the same spot. Will get it rectified within the next few weeks.
I think you should leave one spot like that - to ward off the evil eyes!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd January 2013 at 21:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:16   #68
BHPian

Will there be a 2013 Fiat Linea T-Jet? Ever?
Old 24th January 2013, 01:11   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I guess Yes. From those developments happening on Fiat India's side, they are going to retain the 1.4L engine (for Abarth). So having a product which already has been developed doesn't hurt them. There is absolutely NO investment required.

Also the new products from Fiat are coming ONLY from 2014. They need to keep the momentum going. The best way is to keep the current line up strong. I guess they might re-launch after the refresh.

Edit:: If they can localise the 1.4L engine, it will help them price both Linea T-Jet & Abarth Punto better.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th January 2013 at 01:12. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 24th January 2013, 12:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a Fiat workshop (Dynamic Automobiles) near my office
Good you found Dynamic Automobiles. If they are capable, I see no reason to approach Fiat India for help other than spares if you need them.

Quote:
I also experienced mild shudder at around 1500 RPM but it just happened 3-4 times.
In my case, there is no engine shudder when the car is being driven. It can be noticed only when idling. It is not there continuously. It comes and goes. Once the engine is hot, it can be felt every 10seconds or so. I can see the engine shake a little in the engine bay too when this shuddering is felt. It is not alarming but should not be there at all. It is not skipping a beat though.
Old 25th January 2013, 08:25   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Also the new products from Fiat are coming ONLY from 2014. They need to keep the momentum going. The best way is to keep the current line up strong. I guess they might re-launch after the refresh.
That is true. Alongwith I also hear there is a plan for 1.6MJD !
Now that also would be some thing to look out for.

Every time I read a good and satisfied Linea review (Karthik, Ravi, Nkrishna), it always confirms my belief, that even though owners may be few in numbers, but by and large all of them are well satisfied.

Biraj, Its nice to see the T-jet doing great. Wish you many more miles.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 11:24   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess Yes. From those developments happening on Fiat India's side, they are going to retain the 1.4L engine (for Abarth). So having a product which already has been developed doesn't hurt them. There is absolutely NO investment required.

Edit:: If they can localise the 1.4L engine, it will help them price both Linea T-Jet & Abarth Punto better.
They will be localizing both the 1.4 Tjet and 1.6 MJD to reduce the price and also the upcoming Localized SUV/MUV from the B/C segments will be using these engines. So it definitely calls for localization to keep it competitive.

The new Linea model in 2014 will come only in 1.4 Tjet (may be multiair) and 1.6 MJD. The linea classic current model may continue with the current set of engines or may bet Multijet 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is true. Alongwith I also hear there is a plan for 1.6MJD !
Now that also would be some thing to look out for.

Every time I read a good and satisfied Linea review (Karthik, Ravi, Nkrishna), it always confirms my belief, that even though owners may be few in numbers, but by and large all of them are well satisfied.

Biraj, Its nice to see the T-jet doing great. Wish you many more miles.
They have a decent model line up plan up their sleeve. But how they execute it is what matters. By the way that guy Enrico is working full time and is damn serious.

More or less the owners are satisfied with Fiats. There are a few bad service centers which help in diluting the brand. Also, the FIAT owners expectation is compartively higher than the others in the segment which can be another reason for dissatisfaction. The love or hate can happen quite quick and strong with a FIAT.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Biraj
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread Biraj
Went to Fiat Caffe yesterday to check the coffee festival. One of the key guys (won't take the name) confirmed that T-jet is coming back later this year. As per him, there will be a low priced (with some features stripped) version of Linea (Linea Classic) and the normal Linea's petrol engine will be replaced by localised T-jet. I was a bit surprised as he said that it's already localised.

For the first time, I could sense some enthusiasm in the Fiat representatives. These guys are waiting for April to go full blast with their plans and marketing initiatives. The initial feelers for the service center at Noida Phase 2 (Kashyap) is also very good. I haven't tried it yet but the buzz is that Kashyap is remarkably better than what we NCR people have experienced till now. Fiat has always managed to appeal more to heart than mind, with reliable service support and better line of products, it might start appealing to both heart and brain.
Biraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 17:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The initial feelers for the service center at Noida Phase 2 (Kashyap) is also very good. I haven't tried it yet but the buzz is that Kashyap is remarkably better than what we NCR people have experienced till now.
My car went for accident repairs to Kashyap Motors and was delivered back on the day Kashyap was officially inaugurated by Fiat India CEO Enrico Anastasio. The workshop is definitely much better than others we are used to and the team from HIM motors led by Mr O P Sharma is incharge there. So, basically, we have good personnel and good facilities together for once.
architect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 22:41   #75
BHPian

I will have to try Kashyap's body shop tomorrow. A white Scorpio with a drunk driver and no estimate of how far its bull-bar reaches and travelling on the wrong side, dislocated Crusoe's front bumper. Ghaziabad streets are filled with such morons. I stopped him but his brother (who was less drunk) started apologising and people behind started honking. I looked at the damage, it seems like a 6" scratch and some broken clips. The bumper and chrome strip is intact. Thank god that the headlight didn't get damaged.

Most Viewed