Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 22:50   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Whenever I plan to detail it next time, I will pm you. You can come and replicate the steps on your car.

I might drive to Ahmedabad on Friday thus, not sure if I will be able to join on Sunday. In case my trip gets delayed, I will definitely join.
Sure thing, I'll be more happy to give your crusoe company in detailing session

And, Ya, I hope your plan to ahemdabad gets delayed.
Old 9th November 2013, 13:45   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Crusoe ha]
That looks sick. Awesome work Megs yellow wax is a superb product. *drool*
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 14:55   #138
BHPian

I have always driven Crusoe the way it's meant to be. i.e. with a heavy right foot. Yesterday, I decided to make a few changes:
  • Turned the AC compressor off (apart from the ~4 KMs when I was in traffic.
  • Stayed between 80-100 KMPH on the highway
  • Stayed within 1700-2500 RPM range

The total distance was 64 KM. 30 KM was highway, about 3-4 KMs of heavy traffic near the border, then 30 KMs of smooth Delhi roads with moderate to light traffic.

I achieved this:

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-fe.jpg

16 KMPL might not seem exciting to most but for a person that observes 10-12 KMPL on most days, it's a great number The key realisation was that the total time taken wasn't too far from what I achieve when I drive in my usual manner. So, I might try to drive more sedately from here on. Key word is "Try" (sorry, out of smilies).
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 12:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely not , 16 KMPL is a good enough number and its a fantastic number when it comes to this car. I have only managed it once , a very early morning drive to the airport. Just goes to show that the car is capable of giving out good economy as well. I am currently getting 11-13 in city traffic without even making an effort.

Quote:

16 KMPL might not seem exciting to most but for a person that observes 10-12 KMPL on most days, it's a great number The key realisation was that the total time taken wasn't too far from what I achieve when I drive in my usual manner. So, I might try to drive more sedately from here on. Key word is "Try" (sorry, out of smilies).
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:08   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Absolutely not , 16 KMPL is a good enough number and its a fantastic number when it comes to this car. I have only managed it once , a very early morning drive to the airport. Just goes to show that the car is capable of giving out good economy as well. I am currently getting 11-13 in city traffic without even making an effort.
I Would second that! 16 KMPL is a dream. My 2011 Tjet has gone through the second service too. Highway lazy driving doesnt give me 16 kmpl till date! How do you even manage it.

Being in Mumbai and peak hour commuting means my in city regular average is around a dismal 8 kmpl. I have been bothered about it for quite some time now and will continue to remain so, but dont see any way out.

On a sunday morning, in city driving has had best results of 11-12 kmpl at best.

But i agree, i do flog the engine like its meant to be! And take every car in front of me as an offense and meant to be overtaken!
palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I am currently getting 11-13 in city traffic without even making an effort.
This car is capable of delivering decent efficiency provided the owners are willing to exercise restraint. It's so difficult not to push this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
I Would second that! 16 KMPL is a dream. My 2011 Tjet has gone through the second service too. Highway lazy driving doesnt give me 16 kmpl till date! How do you even manage it.

Being in Mumbai and peak hour commuting means my in city regular average is around a dismal 8 kmpl.
What has made a difference in consumption figures for me is the way I accelerate. I was so crazily addicted to the turbo whine that I always used to floor the accelerator in almost every gear. The sensation of getting pushed back in the seat, coupled with the turbo whistle was a great experience but adversely affected the FE. Now, I am not driving much slower but trying to be a bit easy with the way I reach that speed. The acceleration is still better compared to most of the cars on road but it's more civilised now.

Delhi roads and traffic overall is much better than Mumbai and that does help us (T-jet owners in NCR) achieve better FE than say someone in Mumbai or Bangalore. Try being a bit easy on acceleration during the next highway trip and your T-jet might surprise you.

OT: Noticed that you also own a Bronzo Scuro T-jet. Crusoe says "Same Pinch".

Cheers,
Biraj

Last edited by Biraj : 2nd December 2013 at 13:21.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:23   #142
BHPian

Hehehehe Biraj!

A *turbo* addict if I ever saw one! If the TJet had been around when we were picking up our Linea, it would have been the car in the driveway rather than the MJD E+ we did pick up finally.

I recently (I say recently, but it must be atleast 6 months ago...) drove a TJet and the way the power spools up and spits itself out is quite extraordinary! I've also heard so many peans being sung about the 1.2 TSi Polo, that I'm actually quite curious to see how that drives vs the TJet!

This should have been the petrol offering from the very beginning on the Linea line. An enthusiast's petrol and a slightly less enthusiast centered economical diesel.

*Sigh* If wishes were horses and FIAT India just knew what the hell they were doing!
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
Being in Mumbai and peak hour commuting means my in city regular average is around a dismal 8 kmpl. I have been bothered about it for quite some time now and will continue to remain so, but dont see any way out.
+1!

I thought I was the only one with low mileage. In Bangalore traffic, I get between 6 & 7.5 kmpl as per MID. Tankfull to tankfull method has ranged between 7 & 8 in the city. The best I've got on the highway is 11.4.

My air filter is clean, tyres at recommended pressure, I've tried all styles of driving, fuel only at Shell. Just totally mystified as to why mileage is low.

There must be something different in my/your car compared to Puchoo's & Biraj's.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
+1! I thought I was the only one with low mileage. In Bangalore traffic, I get between 6 & 7.5 kmpl as per MID. Tankfull to tankfull method has ranged between 7 & 8 in the city. The best I've got on the highway is 11.4. My air filter is clean, tyres at recommended pressure, I've tried all styles of driving, fuel only at Shell. Just totally mystified as to why mileage is low. There must be something different in my/your car compared to Puchoo's & Biraj's.
TheTeacher - we live in Bangalore/mumbai and the others in Delhi. There is a huge difference in traffic situations. We drive lesser distances in greater durations. My friendly service supervisor says most mumbai there have the same case too. It's just because of the back to back traffic.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:01   #145
BHPian

@TheTeacher: are you filling up the BS3 Shell fuel at Bannerghatta road? Try the BS4 fuel elsewhere and see?

I switched from BS3 Shell fuel to IndianOil for my last two fills and the Tjet feels more "powerful".

I've not been driving in the same manner (sedate vs. spirited) throughout these fills so I can't really compare the fuel efficiency.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:58   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I was the only one with low mileage. In Bangalore traffic, I get between 6 & 7.5 kmpl as per MID. Tankfull to tankfull method has ranged between 7 & 8 in the city. The best I've got on the highway is 11.4.
I do not look at the MID at all. I tank up and then do the math on how much fuel the car is guzzling. If you are driving with the fuel economy read out on the MID, please disable it. Staring at that screen and regulating your throttle input is one of the reasons you get low mileage.

I won't say mileage is bad. I get about 9-10kmpl and that is with some pedal to metal driving every day. I don't deal with too much bumper to bumper traffic though.

Keep the car steady at around 100-110kmph and you will easily see 15kmpl. Highway economy has been around the same for me too, 11.5kmpl. It is impossible to drive this car with a light foot on the highway. Whenever I take the highway, speeds on my car and well above the ton. I don't care about how much gas the car guzzles when out on the open road. This is the only time you get to enjoy the car.

I have come to understand that turbo petrols are super sensitive by the way you drive. I have changed by shift pattern too. If my up shift leads to the rpm falling below 1500, I don't up shift, I hold my current gear as much as I can and if the situation will permit. I cut throttle and hold whatever gear I am in. Engine braking isn't much on the T Jet so the car keeps going even if you are in a lower gear like 2nd or 3rd.

I have seen the same fuel economy numbers in really bad traffic. There is nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I switched from BS3 Shell fuel to IndianOil for my last two fills and the Tjet feels more "powerful"
My car has been sipping BS3 for the most part. I can't tell the difference.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 19:25   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@TheTeacher: are you filling up the BS3 Shell fuel at Bannerghatta road? Try the BS4 fuel elsewhere and see?

I switched from BS3 Shell fuel to IndianOil for my last two fills and the Tjet feels more "powerful".
Yikes! I had no idea the Gottigere Shell on Bannerghatta Road was feeding my T-Jet BS3. Are you sure? Why would they be dispensing BS3? Everytime I go they ask me to fill Super, and I politely decline. I've been filling only there cause it's about 1 km from where I live, and there's no other Shell nearby. I guess I'll have to try to find a COCO bunk between here and say, IIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I do not look at the MID at all. I tank up and then do the math on how much fuel the car is guzzling. If you are driving with the fuel economy read out on the MID, please disable it. Staring at that screen and regulating your throttle input is one of the reasons you get low mileage.

I won't say mileage is bad. I get about 9-10kmpl and that is with some pedal to metal driving every day. I don't deal with too much bumper to bumper traffic though.

Keep the car steady at around 100-110kmph and you will easily see 15kmpl. Highway economy has been around the same for me too, 11.5kmpl. It is impossible to drive this car with a light foot on the highway. Whenever I take the highway, speeds on my car and well above the ton. I don't care about how much gas the car guzzles when out on the open road. This is the only time you get to enjoy the car.

I have come to understand that turbo petrols are super sensitive by the way you drive. I have changed by shift pattern too. If my up shift leads to the rpm falling below 1500, I don't up shift, I hold my current gear as much as I can and if the situation will permit. I cut throttle and hold whatever gear I am in. Engine braking isn't much on the T Jet so the car keeps going even if you are in a lower gear like 2nd or 3rd.

I have seen the same fuel economy numbers in really bad traffic. There is nothing you can do about it.
Sandeep, I don't drive looking at the MID; I drive the way I want, but do monitor the effect it has on the MID. Since I learned to drive, I've been averse to lugging, and generally stay in a gear longer than say, 80% of drivers will. It is my belief that a healthily revving engine is a healthier engine than one that is shifted to 4th at 30 and 5th at 40.

Notwithstanding all this, I've tried changing my driving all kinds of ways to see the effect. Basically, made no difference. The one and one thing this engine absolutely hates is idling (like at a traffic light). That's when mileage drops like a boat anchor. So long as you're moving, it doesn't care, even if you're going in first and second. I've observed this too. I don't switch off at lights or turn off the a/c compressor. So that's dead consumption.

Unfortunately at this time all my driving is in badly congested roads, though I'm not commuting to work in this. The one long trip I went on, I couldn't stretch her legs and see what she's capable of because I was in a convoy and there were kids in every car and I had to go only as fast as the others.

It's quite clear that for commuting, I'll need a small diesel, or I'll go bankrupt feeding the mistress.
Old 20th December 2013, 21:34   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's quite clear that for commuting, I'll need a small diesel, or I'll go bankrupt feeding the mistress.
If you can afford a second diesel car, which I am guessing is nothing less than 5lac on road, how is it possible to go bankrupt filling up the T Jet? Please don't head down this road. You much rather tank up the T Jet than blow so much money on a second car.

Due to a medical condition, I've had to use the car for a good couple of months. I used to ride to work. A distance of about 40km each day to work and back. The car gets used on the weekend too for a family outing. I've been blowing close to 10k a month on gas. The thought had crossed my mind to plonk money on the cheapest diesel car. At that time, I was willing to put down money and put up with an Indica too. I thought about this and then realized that if I did this, the T Jet will go unused for the most part and end up as a minimal use weekend ride. Frankly; that sounds like a bit of a luxury, atleast to me. We put ten big ones to buy a T Jet. You can't waste those 10lacs and let the car stand in the garage for the most part. A second car does not come free. You have to factor the cost for the maintenance of the second car as well and yearly insurance renewal. Let us say we can manage this or it won't pinch. However; here is no ignoring that you have to cough up a considerable amount of money to purchase that second car, be it a diesel or a little petrol car like the Alto 800. Either way, you are going to blow in the vicinity of 3-6lac. Why not just use this and tank up the T Jet? It is gonna take a good few years to blow up 3-6 lacs on gas ain't it. Between the cheapest diesel car or the Alto, I much rather tank up the T Jet and gun it.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th December 2013 at 21:36.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:02   #149
BHPian

Quote:
1. Diesel isn't as cheap nowadays.
2. It's only going to get dearer with the impending deregulation of diesel prices.
3. Any decent diesel car will cost you close to the second hand price of the tier. So not really a huge gain in value.

I would say stick to the tjet, don't worry about petrol, commuting small distances won't really cause a huge dent!
Old 20th December 2013, 22:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Yikes! I had no idea the Gottigere Shell on Bannerghatta Road was feeding my T-Jet BS3. Are you sure? Why would they be dispensing BS3? Everytime I go they ask me to fill Super, and I politely decline. I've been filling only there cause it's about 1 km from where I live, and there's no other Shell nearby. I guess I'll have to try to find a COCO bunk between here and say, IIM.

I think so.

Quote:
"BS III prices in Bangalore are applicable only at Whitefield, Brookefield, Varthur Road, Sai Baba, Kengeri and Kanakapura, Bannergatta, Magadi -1, Tumkur Road outlets."
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed