Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 23:55   #211
BHPian

re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

I have been trying to hear the famous 'whistle' on the new t-jet but to no avail. A hint of a sound from the power steering but the turbo can only be felt not heard! ;-)

Will Pm you the contact no of DRS Gurgaon tmrw, am out right now: they're new so cannot vouch for Mr. Rawat et al, but seemed eagerly on the job, seemed somewhat of a pro by Delhi's low standards. Let's see, and hope. ;-)
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 01:49   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
I have been trying to hear the famous 'whistle' on the new t-jet but to no avail. A hint of a sound from the power steering but the turbo can only be felt not heard! ;-)

Will Pm you the contact no of DRS Gurgaon tmrw, am out right now: they're new so cannot vouch for Mr. Rawat et al, but seemed eagerly on the job, seemed somewhat of a pro by Delhi's low standards. Let's see, and hope. ;-)
The turbo-whistle is not audible in the current-gen T-jets. The 2014 T-jet lacks the kick, so expecting the whistle will be a long shot.

Will wait for the details. I will be in Gurgaon on Thursday for some meetings, perhaps will mix it with a visit to DRS. If the initial feelers are good, then will take Crusoe for a detailed check-up on Saturday.

Cheers,
Biraj
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 09:43   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Not sure if the nature of shudder that I was facing is similar to what you were facing. Is the turbo-whistle in your car audible?
After reading this, I don't think I have a problem at all. I don't experience any kind of fall in rpm. The problem I have is observed only when stationary, with the engine idling. Not when on the move. There is no problem at all when I drive. However; I usually pop the gear down to 1st to negotiate speed humps. 2nd can stall the engine.

I can say that I experienced a identical problem when I had a Ford Ikon. God knows what they fixed cause all I got was a 2k labor bill and no parts changed. I did see the throttle body, intake manifold fully dismantled so it surely was something out there that was causing the problem.

What Stewie has commented makes sense but I doubt if our cars have a similar arrangement for the throttle body.

I am surprised that changing the plugs made a massive difference. Looks like they were at end of life which should not be happening. I changed my plugs in December 2013, two years exact from month of purchase. The service schedule suggested plug change so I went for it. If you ask me now, the new set of plugs made no difference. Then again, I don't face the shudder to the extent you do. Your case is really bad. Keeping the revs up to tackle the problem is not efficient.

Turbo whistle was not audible until scheduled service that was done in December 2013. I can hear it now but only with the windows rolled down and if I have wall running beside me. Its audible just when its building boost till around 2200rpm. Its a whooosh noise, not a whine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 23:32   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Another update:

the jerkiness at around 1800 RPM is back with vengeance since yesterday. Don't know whether it's the heat or something else, .... Any leads or a copy of service manual for T-jet will be highly appreciated.
Its indeed!

I am really sorry to hear about this! It's too much now, really! How did it resurface? Just like that: at random or was it just gradual, over a period of time, as you were driving?

I wish I could accompany you to wherever you are planning to take Crusoe to, but unfortunately, as you know, I will be out of town for the next 10 days! I still tend to believe, the pressure plate might play a role. That lathe job: they would rather change the nut, than "lathe" it!
lapis_lazuli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 15:54   #215
BHPian

Hi biraj,

Could you update us regarding the Ceat Gripp tyres? How are they holding up? Road noise, grip and punctures etc?

A few pics would be great!

Thanks!
sai
Old 20th June 2014, 01:19   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Could you update us regarding the Ceat Gripp tyres? How are they holding up? Road noise, grip and punctures etc?
Still early days, as I have done only ~3K KMs still, I would say (knock on the wood) that they have been satisfactory. The Gripp LN is Ceat's premium product aimed at premium car segment. Here's an article about it.

My observation based on 3K KMs:
  • There hasn't been any puncture. Even the stock tyres (NCT 5) never suffered any puncture in 25K KMs.
  • Road noise has reduced significantly.
  • While it does a good job at soaking in the noise, it's not extremely soft. Which is good considering the types of roads we may encounter.
  • Monsoons are yet to arrive but I have driven it through the terrible storm that lashed Delhi last month. The grip offered was good.
  • There hasn't been any noticeable/alarming wear till now. The stock tyres had started showing signs of wear within the first 4K KMs.

While the experience has been positive I still don't have the confidence to recommend it to others. I took a leap of faith and am prepared to change the tyres to an alternate brand if this doesn't work out. As part of tyre maintenance, I have started checking the pressure every 15-20 days and alignment every 3K KMs. Balancing will be done at 7-8K KMs or whenever I feel wobbling.

Some weird reasons for selecting Ceat were:
  1. It rhymes with Fiat
  2. Even my dad's Fiat used to run on Ceat
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hey, I went to DRS today. Spoke to Mr. Rawat and he does come across as a hands-on GM. Before taking the car to DRS, I had checked it on the scanner myself and reset the ECU last night. Filled the tank with RON 93 petrol and blasted through Gurgaon expressway. Almost all hesitance, reluctance, and jerkiness went away. Yes, on its own.

I still took it to DRS in the evening to take their expert opinion. They took an extended test drive and found everything with the engine 'perfect'. Finally, they noticed the mild vibration that I was complaining about. Apparently the heat-shield on the engine was loose and it was causing the shudder. They tightened it and also corrected the damage done by Kashyap guys to the engine-protection plate. I am sure their guys would have worked for 40-60 minutes on my car thus, I offered to pay the labour charges. They refused to take the payment for it. What was impressive was the urgency shown by Mr Rawat and his team. I reached the service center at 5 PM still, they went ahead and checked the car. I am sure there would be other service centers that would state that it takes a lot of time and ask to bring the car again. Kudos to their responsiveness.

Fingers crossed about Crusoe's behaviour, hope it doesn't throw any more tantrums.
Biraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 15:33   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. It rhymes with Fiat
Now, that is really weird

Have you or anyone tried Pirelli P7?
Wanted to know how good or bad it is...
Old 20th June 2014, 15:51   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Now, that is really weird

Have you or anyone tried Pirelli P7?
Wanted to know how good or bad it is...
You might want to check with @The Teacher. His T-jet runs on Pirellis. On papers P7 seems like a good option but I don't have any experience in using them.
Old 20th June 2014, 18:48   #219
BHPian

Quote:
.. I have started checking the pressure every 15-20 days and alignment every 3K KMs. Balancing will be done at 7-8K KMs or whenever I feel wobbling.

1. It rhymes with Fiat
  2. Even my dad's Fiat used to run on Ceat

Hey, I went to DRS today. Spoke to Mr. Rawat and he does come across as a hands-on GM.
Er.....I dont hear anything about the rotation: its very important too! I am sure you get it done !

Ting Tong: its too early ! Let Crusoe decide the "best man" !
lapis_lazuli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:34   #220
BHPian

Last week I tried RON 93 from Indian Oil, and this week it was time to try Speed 97. While it seems exorbitant at Rs 94.61/L, it does provide a perceptible difference in the engine's responsiveness. Even the idling note becomes smoother/refined. Car seems more eager to accelerate, and the fuel-efficiency has also improved (about 1-1.5KMPL). I measured the FE with Bosch's fun-to-drive app and the results seemed better than what I used to observe with regular 91 Octane petrol.

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-screenshot_20140623121951.png

I normally get 9.5-10 KMPL on similar stretch.

On all future highway trips, the trip will definitely start with a tank-full of Speed 97.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 21:29   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Last week I tried RON 93 from Indian Oil, and this week it was time to try Speed 97. While it seems exorbitant at Rs 94.61/L, ........

On all future highway trips, the trip will definitely start with a tank-full of Speed 97.
Wow! The mileage reported by Fun2Drive and MID: do they tally? Just curious!

Could you do a short 0-60 type of a test to see if the responsiveness holds up "quantitatively" too?

Every 5000kms, we might as well pamper the car with good food, the RON97!

(We eat mutton rolls even more frequently, while the cars just get to watch us devour !)

On a different note, is it recommended to use the 97 grade regularly? Diesel premiums are a strict NO NO, in the multijets, IIRC. What does the TJet manual have to say on this?
Old 26th June 2014, 21:36   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Wow! The mileage reported by Fun2Drive and MID: do they tally? Just curious!

Could you do a short 0-60 type of a test to see if the responsiveness holds up "quantitatively" too?

Every 5000kms, we might as well pamper the car with good food, the RON97!

(We eat mutton rolls even more frequently, while the cars just get to watch us devour !)

On a different note, is it recommended to use the 97 grade regularly? Diesel premiums are a strict NO NO, in the multijets, IIRC. What does the TJet manual have to say on this?
Once you return from Kolkata, we will make good use of the OBD and create beautiful charts

I have decided to move to RON 93 as the regular diet for Crusoe, and Speed 97 once in every 5-6 tank-fulls. No science behind it just pure sentiments and some economics.

The manual says minimum RON 91 fuel. So, higher the better.
Old 28th June 2014, 13:24   #223
BHPian

It was delightful to enjoy a niggle-free week after a long time (knock on the wood) The acceleration has been smooth and there hasn't been any remarkable jerk or shudder. There's a mild rattle from the glove-box but nothing too serious. Among all the mess created by FASS, I have missed out clicking Crusoe for a very long time. Waiting for the weather to improve and then there will be an overdue photo-shoot for Crusoe. It also needs a competent detailing session and will get that done after the monsoon. Till that time Meg 26 and Muc-off Miracle Shine are doing a good job at maintaining the shine.

Let me upload a few pics from the archive.

The wonderful experience at BIC track-day
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-3dsc01733.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-4dsc01759.jpg

Crusoe catching its breath after the controlled aggression
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-5dsc01788.jpg

Some pics from the memorable trip to Kalatop and Khajjiar.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-6dsc00891.jpg

That road was eerie after dark.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-7dsc00892.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-2kalatop.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-1536757_3998765241622_751969989_n.jpg
Biraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 12:19   #224
BHPian

Finally it has started raining (a bit) in NCR. Wiper was shuddering while going down and there was a very minor streaking as well. Was contemplating about replacing the wipers but then decided to give cleaning the wind-shield a try. While the windshield appeared clean, there were some bonded contaminants.
  • First step - Washed the windshield with normal car shampoo
  • Second step - clayed the entire windshield with Meguiar's clay and ONR as clay-lube
  • Washed it again with water
  • Wiped it clean with loads of soft tissue papers

The windshield is now sparkling clean and feels very smooth to touch. Even the wiper action has improved. Seems the wiper will last this season. Still, will keep an eye for compatible Bosch wipers and replace when necessary.

In other news, a strategic milestone of 30K KMs will be crossed within the next 5-8 days. If car's performance is measured in thousands, then my observations will now be statistically significant.
Old 6th August 2014, 17:35   #225
BHPian

30,000 KMs done

Another major milestone (for me) has crossed.
  • 10,000th KM was crossed on 13th August, 2012. Took 5.5 months from the date of ownership.
  • 20,000th KM was crossed on 22nd July, 2013. Took 20 days less than a year to complete the second 10K interval.
  • 30,000th KM has been crossed today (06th August, 2014. Took 12 days more than a year to complete the third 10K interval.

The reduction in usage can be attributed to Neil (Punto MJD) as it has been used for the long trips.

All the issues that I faced recently have more or less subsided. There's a minor noise from the front that I always used to attribute to the fog-lamps but it now turns out that fog-lamp is not the culprit. Some other plastic part inside the bumpers/engine-bay is rattling at low-speed. No clue what it is.

On a long drive, the turbo-kick combined with the sweet whistle, still manages to plaster a big grin. (like this).

Average fuel-efficiency is now ~9.5 KMPL but that's because my usage is mainly short city runs. On the expressway, when driven not too aggressively, it manages 14-15 KMPL with ease.

Here's a customary shot of the ODO.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_20140806_163959_edit_edit.jpg

Here's a click from my Blackberry after reaching office parking.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_20140806_165223_edit.jpg

And a blast from the past.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dsc07465.jpg
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks