Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2013, 17:18   #121
BHPian

re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Ishendar did a good job at diagnosing the noise and Mr. Gopalan tried to marshal his resources as best as possible.

Hmmm all's well that ends well. I am waiting for a happy ending too...!

It's good news that Crusoe is back to shape, but, it takes a 100 odd kilometers to seal the verdict! Just kidding...I am sure its all OK this time. The fog lamp discovery: well, that was funny, considering the near heart-attacks you had been suffering over the days .

{LITTLE OT: Unfortunately Crusoes' brother from another mother, well, he ain't no happy car no more. This time, I think the alternator belt (or the tensioner) has gone loose. Since yesterday, when I start it up, there is this shrill squeal for a minute after which it vanishes. Appears after 8 hours or so, after it cools down. I am tired of these imps, elves, gremlins and little ragamuffins with satin wings spraying the "naughty dust" over the car, though. Need to get a puja done or something! Or is it a sign of impending doom...??? }

Anyways, you go ahead with that trip of yours. Drive safe, and , er...which other thread gets the "A$$" review details please?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th August 2013 at 17:22.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 22:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
It's good news that Crusoe is back to shape, but, it takes a 100 odd kilometers to seal the verdict!

Since yesterday, when I start it up, there is this shrill squeal for a minute after which it vanishes.

Anyways, you go ahead with that trip of yours. Drive safe, and , er...which other thread gets the "A$$" review details please?
Thanks, done 80 KMs so fingers crossed for the remaining 20 KMS I am still in office, so the trip is delayed. Will try to leave tomorrow evening or early morning on Thursday. Crusoe reminded me the promise about Sach Pass. Really confused whether to try Sach Pass. All the feedback and videos don't seem encouraging. Will decide after reaching Khajjiar.

I am yet to update the experience about Oberoi. Will do it in the dealership thread (where I praised them last time).

Btw, you have got a real attention seeker there. Keeps making all sorts of noises. Take it for a trip to somewhere in Himalayas and after that all the sounds will seem justified. If you want your family can join us, I can check for availability of rooms at Kalatop rest house.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 14:05   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Take it for a trip to somewhere in Himalayas and after that all the sounds will seem justified. If you want your family can join us, I can check for availability of rooms at Kalatop rest house.

....the squeal has vanished after I "dried" the pulleys and the alternator drive belt with a cotton rag, removing the invisible "moisture" that gets trapped! This forum gets another thank you for getting rid of the squeal!

By the time you read this Crusoe would have been past the 100!

Just remembered: about the "fog lite" quick fix thingy: it is as quick in coming off too, in case the area of application was not cleaned of oily residue and dirt. Just give a slight nudge and see its still holding. If it does, great, else, get another layer of cyanoacrylate applied after due cleaning with an emery/sand paper.

{Of course, thanks Biraj, but I am leaving for Puri next week and all budget has been allocated there! I am on a "system flush" mode, to make way for all the sea food, khaja and chhana poda I can get. For the next trip: well, count me in!}

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 14th August 2013 at 14:10.
Old 18th August 2013, 01:04   #124
BHPian

The replaced clutch in the past two days wasn't feeling as smooth as a new clutch set should. Took it again to Oberoi and was attended promptly. The SA checked and agreed that there is a slight springing action. He checked with the person who had worked on my car and then informed that the mechanic might have forgotten to bleed the clutch so, air bubbles might have been formed. He asked for 20 minutes and got the bleeding done. Now it feels the way a new clutch should. Hope it stays like that.

Drove trough some crazy downpour today, surprisingly the Goodyears offered decent grip despite the excessive wear.

Some pics of the drive:

Attachment 1126232

Name:  ForumRunner_20130818_010047.png
Views: 1739
Size:  559.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130818_010017.png
Views: 1733
Size:  657.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130818_010038.png
Views: 1733
Size:  606.3 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th August 2013 at 07:13.
Biraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 09:24   #125
BHPian

Quote:
He asked for 20 minutes and got the bleeding done. Now it feels the way a new clutch should. Hope it stays like that.
Yes, the 100km syndrome!

Is the fluid used, same for both the brake and clutch? Does bleeding the clutch ensure air bubbles are out of the brake circuit too?

Your pictures almost always have this retro tinge.....I just love it!
Old 9th September 2013, 16:07   #126
BHPian

On September 1, 2013 Crusoe completed 21,000 KMs. Here's a customary shot of the Odo.

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-1odo.jpg

Most things are fine, so nothing much to report. Fuel efficiency has dropped to ~9 KMPL due to short runs and excessive traffic. To compensate for the short runs in traffic, I drive spiritedly whenever I get a clear stretch of road. Thus, the efficiency remains in single figure. No complaints as long as the turbo keeps whistling and Crusoe keeps accelerating.

Attended a mini-Tbhp meet on Saturday and clicked some pics of Crusoe with camera of ipod + phone (mine and Roy_libran's).

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-13.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-21.jpg

Earlier in the day, I cleaned Crusoe with ONR Wash&Wax and he was gleaming.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-301.jpg
Old 10th September 2013, 14:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

Good to know all is well Biraj and she continues to gleam and shine!! Missed the opportunity to meet you on the meet - up , hopefully the next one.

Quote:
On September 1, 2013 Crusoe completed 21,000 KMs. Here's a customary shot of the Odo.

Most things are fine, so nothing much to report.
Old 10th September 2013, 18:35   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Good to know all is well Biraj and she continues to gleam and shine!! Missed the opportunity to meet you on the meet - up , hopefully the next one.
Thanks Puchoo! Crusoe is a "He".

I didn't attend the Delhi meet. It was too early in the day for me. These pics are from the local meet in Indirapuram (Ghaziabad).
Old 10th September 2013, 23:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

Biraj, can you please shed some light on this ONR wash and wax thingy, whats exactly is this ? Wax or wash, or its just that, it gives wax kinda effect while working as shampoo ?
Old 11th September 2013, 00:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Biraj, can you please shed some light on this ONR wash and wax thingy, whats exactly is this ? Wax or wash, or its just that, it gives wax kinda effect while working as shampoo ?
It is a rinse-less car wash that really has wax. I have used Formula 1 wash&wax and find ONR W&W much better than the Formula 1. Of-course, the price is also significantly different. I use it mainly as a QD and find it extremely useful because
  • It saves time
  • Produces great shine
  • Gives a slick finish
  • Manages to offer decent water beading as well (difficult to gauge how much it contributes to beading as my car has a coat of Meguiar's M26 wax)

A bottle of ONR, Jopasu Duster, and a good quality wax are must have products to keep you car looking at its best. Check the detailing thread, it has been discussed in detail there.

EDIT: I ordered it at ECO Car Care's store on Facebook. Better to check with them on availability before placing the order.

Eco Car Care
Phone: 808 888 0000

Last edited by Biraj : 11th September 2013 at 00:14.
Old 11th September 2013, 00:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a rinse-less car wash that really has wax. I have used Formula 1 wash&wax and find ONR W&W much better than the Formula 1. Of-course, the price is also significantly different. I use it mainly as a QD and find it extremely useful because
  • It saves time
  • Produces great shine
  • Gives a slick finish
  • Manages to offer decent water beading as well (difficult to gauge how much it contributes to beading as my car has a coat of Meguiar's M26 wax)
A bottle of ONR, Jopasu Duster, and a good quality wax are must have products to keep you car looking at its best. Check the detailing thread, it has been discussed in detail there.
Thanks alot for the quick explanation, Now last question, From where to buy it ?

I have been using, Formula 1 so long and so far have been happy with it, But this time thought changing it, either to turtle wax, but then saw this ONR thingy.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:52   #132
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Biraj , no offense intended to Crusoe - habit to call cars " she".

Quote:
Thanks Puchoo! Crusoe is a "He".

I didn't attend the Delhi meet. It was too early in the day for me. These pics are from the local meet in Indirapuram (Ghaziabad).
Old 4th November 2013, 18:09   #133
BHPian

Crusoe has completed 22,600 KMs. (Knock on the wood) Everything continues to be fine. I was away in Ahmedabad so Crusoe didn't run much in the past month thus, rust has built on the discs. It's a known issues with Fiats so, no panic. The rust should go away after a long drive, which is not too far as Crusoe might head to Ahmedabad during my next trip.

Utilised the Diwali holiday in the best possible manner. Detailed Crusoe.

Mixed (approximately) 2 portions of Muc-off miracle polish with 8 portions of Megs 26 wax and then diluted it with ONR. Never read about this concoction anywhere just felt like mixing it, so mixed it.

Cleaned each panel with ONR QD and then applied the hybrid wax with Meg's applicator pad. Wiped off with MF towel. Took 3 hours to detail the entire car. Sprayed the Muc-off QD on alloys, let it settle for 10-15 mins and then wiped it off.

Results: I am very happy. Here are the pics (was too lethargic after 3 hours of detailing so, didn't take it out of the parking for photo-shoot):

Crusoe
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-01dsc03298.jpg

Reflection on the hood
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-03dsc03305.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-04dsc03306.jpg

Visible reduction in swirls. Finer ones have been covered by the wax and not eliminated.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-05dsc03309.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-06dsc03312.jpg

Gleaming alloys
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-07dsc03314.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-08dsc03316.jpg

Forgot cleaning the exhaust tip.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-09dsc03317.jpg

Shall look good in dark
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-11dsc03332.jpg

With the flash
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-12dsc03334.jpg

My collection
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-15dsc03345.jpg

The tools (green one was used for cleaning the alloys)
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-14dsc03343.jpg
Biraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 11:43   #134
Senior - BHPian

Biraj, Can i get an appointment to detail my car from you ??

Nice results, The swirl free shine is awesome. Hope to see you at this sunday meet with crusoe.
Old 5th November 2013, 16:43   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Biraj, Can i get an appointment to detail my car from you ??

Nice results, The swirl free shine is awesome. Hope to see you at this sunday meet with crusoe.
Whenever I plan to detail it next time, I will pm you. You can come and replicate the steps on your car.

I might drive to Ahmedabad on Friday thus, not sure if I will be able to join on Sunday. In case my trip gets delayed, I will definitely join.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks