Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 05:04   #76
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - Honda Brio SMT (O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
It has now been just over a month and a half and the 3M protective film is beginning to peel off on the inner sides of the LHS doors.
Did you get this fixed? How long do these films last?
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:11   #77
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - Honda Brio SMT (O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Did you get this fixed? How long do these films last?
I got those fixed a long time ago. Its been close to two and a half years now and the film is still holding strong apart from a slight dull fading. The initial batch of this film was not suitable for white cars, which was not mentioned to me at the time of fitting them. However, 3M has since brought out a film specifically for white cars that does not fade.
gpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 17:54   #78
gpa
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms

2014 Update

The Brio saw minimal running over 2014 and hence I decided to give it for its regular annual service in December 2014. Since the car had covered 15,904 KMS, I decided to give for the 20,000 kms service.

IV paid service update
  • General Check: Rs.123
  • 20,000 kms Paid Service: Rs.1,415
  • Engine Oil (3.6L): Rs.1,367
  • Oil Sump drain plug: Rs.20
  • Oil filter: Rs.149
  • Air filter: Rs.469
  • Windscreen washer fluid: Rs.50
  • Consumables: Rs.329
  • Total (incl VAT): Rs.3,924

Soon after the service, I drove to Madhus and got the wheel alignment, road force balancing and rotation of the tyres. Bill - Rs.700

2015 Update

The Brio completes 3 years of fuss-free ownership on May 19 and I'm a very satisfied customer. The Brio's reliability and trouble-free running is truly unparalleled and reflects Honda's reputation for reliable cars. I just wish they have better reliability with their Formula 1 cars in the 2015 F1 season.

Apart from the regular services, there is nothing else to do with this car than to drive her hard occasionally and enjoy the sweet exhaust note and throaty growl of the car.

FE Update

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-fe.jpg

Over the past three years, I have used FuelLog (an app) to keep track of the FE. As of data on my last fill, I have seen an average of 14.88 kmpl over the past three years which is commendable since 90% of the running has been in Bangalore's city traffic on home-work-home commutes in peak hour traffic.

To break it down further, with minimal/no use of the a/c I consistently get ~15-16 kmpl in the city. With the a/c the FE drops to ~12-14 kmpl. Overall, I'm a very satisfied customer and hope the trouble-free operation continues for many more years to come since I plan to hold onto the Brio until Honda brings out a diesel with an AT.

Last edited by gpa : 16th May 2015 at 18:15. Reason: Added more info
gpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 17:50   #79
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Horn Upgrade

With a few long highway drives coming up, I've recently upgraded the OEM horn to a pair of Hella Super tone horns. Here is the link

Last edited by gpa : 9th July 2015 at 17:51.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 10:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Horn Upgrade

With a few long highway drives coming up, I've recently upgraded the OEM horn to a pair of Hella Super tone horns. Here is the link
Any updates on the car?

I feel the oil change intervals are unnecessarily high.
Old 26th January 2016, 10:17   #81
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Any updates on the car?

I feel the oil change intervals are unnecessarily high.
I've been changing the oil every ~7,500-8,500 kms when I give the car for its annual service. HASS recommends a 6 month/10,000 kms oil change interval which is high.

A detailed update on the car is on the anvil. Will post it soon.
Old 30th August 2017, 21:53   #82
gpa
Senior - BHPian

2015 Update and First Accident Update

Since the last service in Dec 2014, the Brio had seen minimal running and in Sept 2015, suffered its first minor accident. My wife had come to pick me up from the airport and we were just entering our layout gate late at night (past 1:00 A.M) and suddenly a stray dog charged at the car. She is a very good driver, and was driving at ~30 - 35 kmph inside the long layout road that has a steep gradient but in the process of trying to avoid a mongrel that suddenly darted straight toward the car, she veered right and the RHS front wheel hit the cement slope of the ramp entering a neighbor's house and BANG, the rim bent and tyre deflated instantly. The bang was so loud that a few neighbors woke up and put on the lights to check what had happened. I got out of the vehicle and the rim was deformed badly and the inner fender lining was torn and hanging loose.

Since we were barely 50 meters from home, I jacked up the vehicle, replaced the tyre, pushed the inner fender lining back in place and drove home and parked. I did not click any pics of the damage since it was very late.

I took the car for a short drive the next morning and we both realized that the steering alignment was wonky and I suspected that the RHS lower arm had taken a hit since the car was drifting towards the LHS on a flat road. Since the car was nearing the 25k kms mark, I decided to give it for the 25k kms service since I was planning a few long drives. Went to Magnum Honda, Yeshwantpur for a regular service. Unfortunately, the lower arm for the Brio is not a fast moving part and hence they didn't have the stock for it and I had to go back again after a week to replace it.

The car was lifted and this was the damage to the front lower arm on the RHS
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-damage-1.jpg
As you can see in this frontal view, the lower arm has arched back due to the stress, breaking off some of the paint/coating.

Another view of the damage
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-damage-2.jpg
In this side view, the damage is a little more visible and evident.

The details on the box where the lower arm was sourced from
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-rim-source.jpg

The deformed wheel rim
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-rim.jpg
Evident that the hit on the rim was hard. I sold this for scrap.

I usually do not do the WA/WB for the car at a service center preferring to get it done outside, but this time since the lower arm was replaced, I was compelled to do so.

5th paid service at 22116 kms and repair update
  • Minor Paid Service: INR 1248
  • Engine Oil (3.6L): INR 1180
  • Oil sump drain plug: INR 20
  • Oil filter: INR 156
  • Windscreen washer fluid: INR 50
  • OEM wheel rim: INR 876
  • Emission Test: INR 85
  • RHS lower arm: INR 1063
  • Weights for WB: INR 170
  • Extra weights for WB: INR 387
  • Clip for inner fender RHS (10 nos): INR 790
  • General check/repair: INR 21
  • Labor for wheel alignment: INR 490
  • Labor for wheel balancing: INR 490
  • Labor to replace lower arm: INR 441
  • Labor to replace inner fender lining: INR 86
Total: INR 7558

I was disappointed with this service at Magnum Honda for two reasons.
  1. The inner fender clips that were billed to me were not fitted to the car. I noticed a three missing clips during the time of delivery and when I asked the SA, he shifted blame and said that the service team must have forgotten it. Since it was late (around 7 PM) he proceeded to remove the clips from another car and put it on mine. I was billed for 10 clips but in the darkness, I could not check if all of them were replaced. I warned him that this was not the right thing to do and refused to take my car out. After arguing for over 10 mins, he assured me that he would put back the ones on the car the next morning. Unprofessionalism glorified!
  2. I was surprised that a part such as a lower arm was not in stock and I had to wait for over a week for H.A.S.S to procure it and change it on the car.
When the service feedback call came in a week later, I gave them this feedback but nothing was done.
Since the replacement of the front RHS lower arm, the car has not given any trouble mechanically. The tyre which bore the impact eventually ended up having multiple punctures in a small area and I relegated it for use as a spare until it was replaced with the set of five new Michelin XM2s last month (August 2017).
Old 31st August 2017, 20:53   #83
gpa
Senior - BHPian

2016 Updates

Since the accident and service in December 2015, the Brio saw some highway trips to Yercaud and Ooty. Car performed without a hitch and no issues with the suspension geometry or steering were present.

Minor accident - damage to LHS running board and door.

In Feb 2016, i had a run-in with a kerb while trying to avoid an imbecile biker coming the wrong way and the Brio ended up with some fairly significant damage yesterday morning. It was a sharp left hand turn, and hence although the speed was a crawl, the LHS running board and lower portion of the door sustained some severe damage.

Scratches on the running board and lower part of the door
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160209_101404001.jpg

View of the damage from above
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160209_101410910.jpg

As you can see, the dent and paint scraping was severe and hence needed attention immediately.

Experience with Trend Automobiles (body shop)

There is a dedicated thread on the trend body shop and you can find my post from Feb 9, 2016 at this link

What I missed adding to that thread, I'm updating here. The work done was great. The entire door was repainted and the running board was repaired flawlessly. I spent time talking to Dinesh both while dropping off and picking up the car and he is a knowledgeable chap and dedicated to his work - a somewhat rare trait these days.

He took my wife and I for a tour of his workshop and showed us his painting and drying booth mentioning that it tool about ~4 litres of diesel (IIRC) per hour to heat up the entire chamber needed when drying panels. The car was with them for 3 days and I got the car on the day I was promised. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Attention to detail - they replaced the rust proof strip for the entire running board as can be seen in this photo below. Apologies for the lighting in this photo since I clicked it without the flash and it was relatively dark.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160214_105131305.jpg

View of the finish of the lower part of the LHS front door.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160214_105220151.jpg

Close up views of the finish on the door.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160214_105224504.jpg
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160214_105211445.jpg

I always believe in promoting small guys who are dedicated and since then have referred two others to Dinesh and they have had no complaints either. I paid INR 8300 for the entire denting, painting and clear-coat job which I am sure is a fraction of what H.A.S.S would have charged me.

The Brio crossed the 30,000 kms mark in June 2016.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160621_100104249_hdr.jpg

Since I had driven in some really bad traffic in Bangalore, I decided to take it in for a complete service since the car completed 4 years in May 2016 and some of the fluids like transmission fluid, brake fluid needed to be changed. Despite my bad experience with Magnum Honda at the last service, I decided to go there again (which in hindsight was another mistake). I handed over a printed slip of the demanded work and repair to the S.A and since I was in a hurry with upcoming travel the next day, I didn't spend time at the service station and left the car.

When I went to take delivery, they had not replaced any of the fluids and instead billed me for unnecessary things such as a/c blower motor cleaning. I had specifically called out - no battery testing (~INR 250) and no WA/WB and hence this time they added the blower motor cleaning for INR 172 which was a sham! Took delivery of the car and made up my mind never to go to Magnum Honda, Yeshwantpur again.

6th service update at 29914 kms
  • 30k paid service: INR 1437
  • Engine Oil (3.6 L): INR 1180 (Idemitsu, Mineral 5W30)
  • Oil sump drain plug: INR 21
  • Oil filter: INR 156
  • Air filter: INR 469
  • A/c blower motor cleaning: INR 172
  • Blade Fuses (10A, 15A & 20A): INR 137
  • Labor to replace air filter: INR 56
Total: INR 3678

A/C Condenser Cleaning

In May of 2016 with summer at its peak in Bangalore, the a/c cooling dropped a bit in the Brio and hence I decided to go to We Cool near Garuda Mall to give it a check-up. The gentleman who owns and runs the place Mr.Tobias is a very experienced technician.

According to him, gas top up is not required with normal usage for the first 5-6 years. Since the Brio had completed 4 years, he suggested that I go to a workshop near Koramangala which would remove the front bumper and clean the condenser with high-pressure water releasing the caked-up dirt and hence improving the efficiency and hence the cooling.

I took his advice and went to the workshop (can't recall the name) and those guys dismantled the bumper, and cleaned the condenser.

View with the bumper removed - notice the brown tinge on the condenser fins
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160504_163402547.jpg

After the fins were hosed down with a high-pressure jet, the color changed and they were clean.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160504_163648613.jpg

I must mention that the stream of water although under pressure was directed in a way so as to not damage or bend the fins. The final look is here.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20160504_163802341.jpg
I paid ~INR 800 for the entire work and yes, while there was a marginal improvement in the cooling in the cabin, I believe the cleaning would have been better had we used a proprietary a/c coil and condenser cleaner like this that was designed for the process.

Though the car has seen another summer this year and the cooling has been good, this is a DIY that is still on my list and something I plan to finish before the summer of 2018 hits.
Old 1st September 2017, 00:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I paid ~INR 800 for the entire work and yes, while there was a marginal improvement in the cooling in the cabin, I believe the cleaning would have been better had we used a proprietary a/c coil and condenser cleaner like this that was designed for the process.

Though the car has seen another summer this year and the cooling has been good, this is a DIY that is still on my list and something I plan to finish before the summer of 2018 hits.
The product you linked is meant to be used for the evaporator coil inside the dashboard, not the condenser. What the service guy did for the condenser is good enough, if it did not improve the cooling satisfactorily then the diagnosis is probably wrong.

You can try cleaning the coils as a DIY; In my experience it was super beneficial : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4187215
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 07:02   #85
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The product you linked is meant to be used for the evaporator coil inside the dashboard, not the condenser.
AFAIK, it can be used for both - the external condenser as well as the evaporator core.

Quote:
What the service guy did for the condenser is good enough, if it did not improve the cooling satisfactorily then the diagnosis is probably wrong.
The cleaning of the condenser last year was enough to keep the a/c working fine for over a year. No problems this summer. But a DIY is due before the next summer. I read your post on cleaning the evaporator core and that is something I must try as well. I do not use the recirculation mode to draw fresh air in through the fresh air intake (have disconnected the cable) but open the windows instead so despite the car being over 5 years old now, I'm hoping the evaporator isn't as dirty as a normal car.

Quote:
You can try cleaning the coils as a DIY; In my experience it was super beneficial : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4187215
A detailed DIY, thank you. Which cleaner did you use?
Old 1st September 2017, 09:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, it can be used for both - the external condenser as well as the evaporator core.
The dedicated cleaners have extras in them for anti bacterial properties which get wasted if you clean the condenser with it - plus the pressure wash with normal soap is more than sufficient for a condenser.

Quote:
The cleaning of the condenser last year was enough to keep the a/c working fine for over a year. No problems this summer. But a DIY is due before the next summer. I read your post on cleaning the evaporator core and that is something I must try as well. I do not use the recirculation mode to draw fresh air in through the fresh air intake (have disconnected the cable) but open the windows instead so despite the car being over 5 years old now, I'm hoping the evaporator isn't as dirty as a normal car.
My car did not have a pollen filter, I added the one in my pictures when I bought my car - 8 years without filter was the main reason why my evaporator was clogged with leaves twigs and what not. I guess your car comes with one from factory and I'm sure it won't be as bad as mine.

Quote:
A detailed DIY, thank you. Which cleaner did you use?
The foam was courtesy of Tufkote AC Cleaning foam, 500ml was barely 500rs or so. However bulk of the cleaning was done by an all purpose cleaner. You can use a mix of warm water and pril/vim (dishwashing soap) and it will be just as effective.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 13:04   #87
gpa
Senior - BHPian

2017 Update

Since the last service in June 2016, the Brio was driven a fair bit mostly in the city and crossed the 40k kms mark in July this year. An unplanned long drive from Bangalore to Pune came up in August and hence I decided to give it for the 40k service.

This time, I chose Brigade Honda, Yelahanka which is a 15 min drive from home and did not go to Magnum Honda, Yeshwantpur. Since the car crossed the 5 year mark in May 2017, I decided to replace the essential fluids and hence purchased the following from Amazon after reading up reviews on this forum and speaking to other enthusiasts who had used the products.
  1. Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil - 4 Liters
  2. Liqui Moly Gear-Oil Additive 20 gms x 2 nos
  3. Liqui Moly 100% Fully Synthetic 75W90 GL4+ (GL4/GL5) High Performance Gear Oil - 2 Litres
  4. Bosch Eco Bosch High Performance Replacement Wiper Blade, 22"/16" (Set of 2)
Took the Brio to Brigade Honda on a Friday morning and was met by a SA named Dinesh who asked me what problems I had with the car. I said none and then handed him a list of demanded work and told him I will be in the service center while the car was being serviced.

List of work demanded
  • Replace Engine Oil (customer provided)
  • Replace Oil Filter
  • Replace Gear oil (customer provided)
  • Replace Air Filter
  • Replace brake fluid
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Brake bleeding to be done
  • Caliper pin greasing
  • Replace missing bumper and inner fender lining clips
  • No interior cleaning
  • No battery test
  • No WA & WB

He tried pushing injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning but I told him that it wasn't necessary and that if needed, I'll do it at the 50k service the next time. He was polite and agreed.

The car was taken into the service bay and engine oil and oil filter replaced. The mechanic was intrigued to see the green color of the synthetic oil and for a while there was some commotion since a bunch of mechanics had gathered around and were looking at the oil can while it was being replaced along with the oil filter. They commented they had never seen anything like it.

Views of the LHS and RHS brake discs. Both were smooth and had no uneven wear or scouring and no lip indicating that all was okay.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-lhs-brake-disc.jpg
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-rhs-brake-disc.jpg

The condition of the pads after 40k kms of running. Have clicked only one pic of the LHS set but the RHS also had the same amount of wear. Good for another 20k kms at the very least I think
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-brake-pads-40k.jpg

The condition of the spark plugs after 40k kms. No soot formation and an even heat signature across all four plugs.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-spark-plugs-40k.jpg

Honda OEM plugs that were put in. These are the standard NGKs BKR6E-11
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170804_113314144.jpg

The gear oil additive was added to the bottles, mixed thoroughly and then poured into the gearbox. The Brio takes in 1.6 litres of oil and so the balance was handed over back to me in the can. The brakes were cleaned, fluid changed after 5 years (I know I should not have gone so long without a change) and car washed and handed to me at 4:00 PM.

7th service update at 40,473 kms
  • 40k paid service: INR 1864
  • Oil filter: INR 166
  • Oil sump drain plug: INR 23
  • Air filter: INR 472
  • Spark plugs: INR 705
  • Brake fluid: INR 332
  • Door stopper: INR 14
  • Bonnet rod holder: INR 65
  • Clip (inner fender): INR 77
  • Clips 4 nos. (bumper face): INR 380
  • Consumables: INR 413
  • Diagnostic Scanning: INR 448
Total: INR 5057

Other Costs
Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil - 4 Liters: INR 3500
Liqui Moly Gear-Oil Additive 20 gms x 2 nos: INR 998
Liqui Moly 100% Fully Synthetic 75W90 GL4+ (GL4/GL5) High Performance Gear Oil - 2 Litres: INR 3748
Bosch Eco Bosch High Performance Replacement Wiper Blade, 22"/16" (Set of 2): INR 305

The RHS rear shock absorber was weeping a little and needed to be replaced, but they didn't have stock and the mechanic told me that I can drive the car without worry and then come back once there are noises and it will be changed. The part costs ~INR 2500 is what he told me. If there are no noises, I will get this replaced at the 50k kms service interval (as it saves me another trip to H.A.S.S)

Labor charges at H.A.S.S
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-labor-chargeshassaug-2017.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2017 at 08:55. Reason: As requested
gpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 14:45   #88
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms

Replacement of Tyres to Michelin XM2s at 40,500 kms

With a sudden unplanned trip to Pune, the Yoko A-Drive tyres which were over 5 years and 40k kms old needed to be changed since the rubber was hard and the tyres developed faint cracks on the tread although there was a lot of usable tread left.

One tyre had 3 punctures in a 2 sq. cm area and had distorted out of shape that it could not be used. My guess was this tyre was the one that bore the brunt of the accident in 2015 and hence prematurely gave up.

The day I completed the service, I went to an authorized dealer close to home and fitted a set of five 175/65 R-14 Michelin XM2s. He registered the tyres for the 3 year warranty and I got a SMS from Michelin confirming the same as well.

The dealer showed me the ContiComfortContact CC5 and Michelin XM2 in the OE size of the Honda Brio. I currently have a set of XM2 fitted on my Alto which are close to five years old and have run ~35,000 kms and they have performed well and hence chose the XM2.

1800+kms and a rain-slicked highway drive from Bangalore to Pune and back, I must say that the tyres perform very well - quiet, grippy with good handling. They soak up rough patches well though they are not as quiet as the Primacy 3STs. Having had a good experience with the XM2s on the Alto, I expect these to last around 45-50k before needing to be changed again.

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170804_165053886.jpg

Last edited by gpa : 1st September 2017 at 14:58.
Old 1st September 2017, 15:58   #89
gpa
Senior - BHPian

3M Interior GermiKleen Treatment
Having completed 5 years, the beige interior fabric seat covers of the Brio had gotten very grimy and soiled. Although, I had cleaned them once at home with warm soapy water, a lot of elbow grease and time back in 2014, I felt the need to have them cleaned professionally to get them really clean.

The rear seats - these were the dirtiest. You can see the marks highlighted
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_091700080_hdr.jpg

The front seats - a little less grimy yet stained and dirty nonetheless.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_091717593.jpg

I drove to 3M Car Care in RMV 2nd stage to get them thoroughly cleaned. Called up Amit a day prior in the evening and booked an appointment for 10:30 AM the next day. I arrived on-time and in a few minutes, the guys began their work after taping up the switches, stereo and other sensitive equipment with paper tape. I opted for the Interior GermiKleen and not the GermiKleen Plus which involved cleaning the a/c ducts. The total cost was INR 2109/-

Cleaning the dashboard and front driver-side door.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_102810342.jpg
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_103030893.jpg

Front passenger-side door
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_103232810.jpg

Rear left door
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_103814889.jpg

Driver's seat
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_104808557.jpg

The 3M cleaner that they used
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_111649522.jpg

The end result was this. Sorry, I did not click a photo of the rear seats
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-img_20170805_161403287.jpg

Verdict
Overall, I was happy (8 on 10) with the service, but the finishing touches could have been better. Some nooks and crannies near the seat-belt and plastic trim on the floor had some black streak marks which indicated that a final wipe was not thoroughly done. The glasses were not rolled down and wiped and I pointed it out just before I drove off and they cleaned it. The entire process took about 2.5 hours from start to finish.

It was cloudy and rainy in Bangalore so the car seats took almost two full days to dry. There was a smell from the cleaner used that was strong and lingered for two-three days so if you get this done, make sure you factor this time in before using the car.

DIY 3M Scotchgard Treatment

Things needed
  1. 3M Scotchgard Fabric Protector x 2 cans
  2. Particulate matter mask
  3. Safety goggles - since the vapor from the spray can irritate the eyes
  4. Waste cotton towels to cover the plastic trim and areas not being covered

Method
  1. Make sure the seats are thoroughly dry before you start
  2. Cover up the interior center console and other plastic bits
  3. Spray the fabric upholstery with two coats of 3M's Scotchgard
  4. Remember to wear a mask and work in a well-ventilated area when doing this as the fumes can irritate the eyes
  5. Allow the upholstery to dry for hour to an hour-and-a-half between coats
  6. Two light coats are better than one heavy coat
  7. Roll down all the windows and open the doors (if possible) to allow for faster drying and dissipation of the smell/volatile vapors.

I had a few cans of this spray remaining at home after using them for the sofa upholstery. While Amazon lists these cans at a pricey INR 1361, I purchased from Metro for ~INR 650 per can.
Old 1st September 2017, 19:50   #90
gpa
Senior - BHPian

DIY Completed Recently
  1. Driver Armrest with Felt-lined Storage Compartment
  2. Felt-lined Glovebox

Last edited by gpa : 1st September 2017 at 19:53.

Most Viewed