Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 10:44   #556
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

^^
Door Open-Hand Brake issue : My guess is it's related to loose connection somewhere. When steering goes to an extreme end, it might be stretching a wire with sensor or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The 20K servicing is just around the corner (~600kms to go).
Overtaken ya !
Completed 20K kms in 8 months
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 19:19   #557
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Something interesting happened over last Friday.

A friend and a very sharp BHPian (Arunshek) was looking for self-drive options in Bangalore and came across a page where he found a familiar XUV. He pointed my attention to the snap on zoomcar.in and we immediately came to the conclusion that its the same snap that I had clicked of my Duma almost 18-20 months back during the Bhandardara trip.

Here's the snap on the website:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-zoomcar-dot-duma.png

and here's the original shot available in my travelogue on teambhp:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-bhandardara-duma.jpg

A few friends talked about copyright. Fellow XUV owners and Bangalore BHPian friends even offered to reach to the owner/promoter and get the image taken off. I said "The image looks good. If somebody likes it and wants to use it, let it be."

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2014 at 19:22.
SDP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 19:37   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Something interesting happened over last Friday.

A friend and a very sharp BHPian (Arunshek) was looking for self-drive options in Bangalore and came across a page where he found a familiar XUV. He pointed my attention to the snap on zoomcar.in and we immediately came to the conclusion that its the same snap that I had clicked of my Duma almost 18-20 months back during the Bhandardara trip.

Here's the snap on the website:
Attachment 1229761

and here's the original shot available in my travelogue on teambhp:
Attachment 1229762

A few friends talked about copyright. Fellow XUV owners and Bangalore BHPian friends even offered to reach to the owner/promoter and get the image taken off. I said "The image looks good. If somebody likes it and wants to use it, let it be."

It is a great picture. The color and the background complement each other.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 08:27   #559
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I get a mileage of 10.5/11 irrespective of city/highway usage, but I have heard about people (notably Debuda on teamBHP) who have managed to extract fantastic FE from the XUV (15+ kmpl). For me its not about FE (I would have bought a diesel Micra if I wanted the maximum FE), but being able to understand my machine as accurately as possible. Tried to search for power and torque curves for XUV, but couldn't find anything anywhere. Tried to get some reliable information about "at what rpm does the turbo kick in", but again drew a blank. So with a voice-recorder noted rpm and speed numbers in various gears over the last week. The graph shows the results.

What conclusions can we draw from this?

1. Right from 1000 rpm, the acceleration seems linear. Does that mean, turbo kicks in at really low RPMs? May be lower than 1000 rpm?

2. You can drive the XUV in 6th gear at 60kmph, with rpm needle at 1000 rpm...without stalling the engine. Would this give the best FE?

3. At RPM of 1000, would I be lugging the engine?

Pour in your thoughts please.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-sdp-xuv-rpm-speed-graph.jpg
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 10:53   #560
BHPian

Quote:
.. reach to the owner/promoter and get the image taken off. ..
Atleast they airbrushed your wife's and kid's faces off in the final image. So considerate they are!

Last edited by WindRide : 13th May 2014 at 10:55.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:21   #561
BHPian

Hi SDP

I don't own a XUV but I would want to share my recent experience with a Swift VDi

Problem I faced : All Swift Diesel car owners reported a mileage of atleast 15 kmpl and above in Bangalore traffic while the best I achieved was 12.5 over many tankfuls

And after many discussion on this very forum the key feedback that helped me to get above 15kmpl were

1. Shift gears before 2k rpm (before entering the turbo spool rpm)
2. And maintan 34 and 32 psi for the tires

So in your case it could be something similar

So my only feedback is never lug the engine.

If I can relate to it my only recommendation is to have the gear shifts before you enter turbo spool zone and not after entering turbo spool rpm

Hope this helps

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 18:19   #562
BHPian

Quote:
I get a mileage of 10.5/11 irrespective of city/highway usage, but I have heard about people (notably Debuda on teamBHP) who have managed to extract fantastic FE from the XUV (15+ kmpl).

1. Right from 1000 rpm, the acceleration seems linear. Does that mean, turbo kicks in at really low RPMs? May be lower than 1000 rpm?

2. You can drive the XUV in 6th gear at 60kmph, with rpm needle at 1000 rpm...without stalling the engine. Would this give the best FE?

1) I have observed all along that the XUV can be accelerated even in 6th. gear from as low an RPM as 950. Of course, one needs to be gentle with the gas pedal till about 1200 RPM after which one can step on the gas. So it seems that the turbo does start working and contributing (may be at partial efficiency) at around 1000 RPM. One must remember that for the turbo to work effectively, the most important parameters are the exhaust gas mass flow and temperature. If one is merely idling the engine at 1000 RPM, the exhaust gas mass flow would be quite less but if one is driving the car at 60 KMPH, the mass flow could be adequate to spin the turbo and create boost pressure even if the engine RPM is just 1000. In other words, for the turbo to work effectively, turbo RPM is more important than engine RPM because the turbo is not engine driven but gas driven.

2) Most of my driving is done between 1100 and 1600 RPM (approximately). And the fact that I get great mileage does seem to indicate that this RPM band is good for FE.

3) I don't feel that I'm 'lugging' the engine when I'm (gently) revving it from 950 RPM or so in 6th. gear. Having said that, I do find that adequate power and torque are NOT available on tap till I reach 1200 RPM or so. Since the XUV engine is totally computer-controlled, IMHO one does not need to worry too much as long as the engine is not getting stalled.

It seems to me that the XUV engine has been designed quite well with negligible turbo lag and linear power delivery from very low RPMs. The 2.2 lit CRDI engine has been doing duty on the Scorpio and Safari for many years and seems to have found the sweet spot in the XUV with VGT, tweaks in the ECU and a well-matched transmission.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 18:30   #563
BHPian

Quote:
I get a mileage of 10.5/11 irrespective of city/highway usage, but I have heard about people (notably Debuda on teamBHP) who have managed to extract fantastic FE from the XUV (15+ kmpl).

Attachment 1240239
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi SDP

1. Shift gears before 2k rpm (before entering the turbo spool rpm)

Cheers
My observation with XUV to get better mileage is always shifting gears at 2000-2500rpm and maintaining a rpm of 2k while driving. ITs as if the cheetah wants to keep growling at all times... . Mostly achieved by driving one gear down to ensure the rpm dosent fall below 2k.

I try doing this during city driving and see the mileage displays between 11-13kmpl on the IS during heavy traffic. Though we all know this is average reading and not 100% accurate, I still believe am getting an avg of 9-11kmpl in the city (again for heavy traffic). And on the highways for my driving style I usually get 12-14kmpl by the tankful method. Based on the suggestions from other Xuvians, I had tried driving in 6th gear, 2000Rpm, 100-110km speed with cruise control and the mileage on the IS stayed at 18kmpl for kms at a stretch until I had to slow down, shift gears etc. . Planning to do a long trip at the end of this month. Thinking of trying this style of driving atleast for some distance and see how much I can get using the tankful method.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 19:22   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get a mileage of 10.5/11 irrespective of city/highway usage, but I have heard about people (notably Debuda on teamBHP) who have managed to extract fantastic FE from the XUV (15+ kmpl). For me its not about FE (I would have bought a diesel Micra if I wanted the maximum FE), but being able to understand my machine as accurately as possible. Tried to search for power and torque curves for XUV, but couldn't find anything anywhere. Tried to get some reliable information about "at what rpm does the turbo kick in", but again drew a blank. So with a voice-recorder noted rpm and speed numbers in various gears over the last week. The graph shows the results.

Attachment 1240239
Hi Sanjay. I always get 15-16 kmpl or more on highways and in city around 13 +. I like to drive in between 1200-2000 RPM, anything above only while over taking or for fun So i would suggest you to shift gears at around 1900 RPM mark to get best out of your Duma.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 07:02   #565
BHPian

Wonderful read. Thanks for sharing the experience. It's been a big help for me as I'm making up my mind between getting a XUV or the new Scorpio VLX.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 16:47   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have got a mileage of 16+ for my highway drives of approximately 2500kms. The RPM was maintained between 1200-1800. Definitely a shift up at 2k RPM. That also resulted in maximum speed being about 100-110kmph in 6th gear at that RPM.

I have been getting a FE of about 11 presently when my drives are very small (1-2 kms at a time) although I still maintain the RPM. However there is wastage in initial warming up and cooling down which I follow religiously.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 06:28   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

However there is wastage in initial warming up and cooling down which I follow religiously.
Can you please elaborate more on this procedure and how does it help ?
Old 26th May 2014, 14:04   #568
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A pic clicked 4 days back during a early morning run to Ratnagiri. (Clicked with mobile, please excuse the quality)
Attached Thumbnails
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-1401093143781.jpg  

SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 20:05   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have got a mileage of 16+ for my highway drives of approximately 2500kms.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
2) Most of my driving is done between 1100 and 1600 RPM (approximately). And the fact that I get great mileage does seem to indicate that this RPM band is good for FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
And on the highways for my driving style I usually get 12-14kmpl by the tankful method.
FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hi Sanjay. I always get 15-16 kmpl or more on highways and in city around 13 +.
Sanjay, first of all great curves that you plotted so painstakingly. Yes, that picture is quite a classic, despite or maybe because it's a mobile camera !!

Just want to get people's opinion on using diesel additives, or premium diesel like XtraMile from IOC. I know the manual recommends using the regular diesel, but is mum on any of the other aspects. Appreciate thoughts and actual experiences would be invaluable.
Old 27th May 2014, 20:37   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Just want to get people's opinion on using diesel additives, or premium diesel like XtraMile from IOC. I know the manual recommends using the regular diesel, but is mum on any of the other aspects. Appreciate thoughts and actual experiences would be invaluable.
I would have considered the Xtramile but I am of the opinion that if someones decides to use this fuel must continue to do so for best results rather than using intermittently. My travel plans does not allow me to continuously use the same fuel so I use normal diesel and pretty satisfied with the performance.

@rahulraxx : Its normal procedure of running the engine for 30-60 secs in the morning before moving. Similarly, slowing down and let the engine run idle for 15-30 secs before switching off. I use the time to wear/unlock seat belt, switching on/off lights, windows open/close or such like things. For very small distances like 1 km or so, such activity reduces the overall KPL drastically.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 27th May 2014 at 20:41.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks