Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 15:21   #676
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi SDP,

Hope you are doing good, it's been a long time you have updated your thread.

I have a quick question on the rat repellents used on your car,

1. Are you still using the repellent?
2. How good is to prevent rats?
3. How often do you have to change them?

Thanks in Advance!!
Yes, there are at least a couple of updates pending.
1. Duma went for unscheduled service center visit around 35K kms. Would share details soon. Also got wheel rotation, balancing, alignment done at Premji's.
2. Visited the Chakan plant with a bunch of XUV owners with whom I connected on TeamBHP/FB etc and who are now good friends.

Coming back to your questions:
1. Yes, the rat repellents are still there in the car. Opened the bottles to check if there is anything left inside and there is.
2. For about 6-9 months, had not faced any issues. But looks like the effectiveness has either reduced drastically or completely gone by now. Have seen a few rat droppings recently.
3. Have not changed them yet, but looks like that's a mistake. Should have replaced after 6-9 months. Would do that as soon as I get a bit of free time.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:47   #677
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Sorry! Its been ages since I updated this thread.

A few weeks back, while I was heading to Pune, a Honda City rear ended my XUV. Happened on the Thane-Belapur road where traffic flow is disrupted due to construction activity of a couple of flyovers. I was alone in the car, in slow, stop-n-go traffic. The car ahead of me moved a few meters and I closed the gap. I was looking in the rear mirror and noticed that the white City behind me was also closing the gap, but was approaching too fast. I braced for impact and then it happened. A loud DHADAAM. I had my foot firmly on the brake and the XUV did not move forward and touch the car in front. I opened the door and looked behind. Saw the damaged front of the Honda City. Looking at the damage on the City, i mentally calculated the damage to my car and my heart sank. The driver of the Honda City said "I am sorry. I am sorry. There is no damage to your car". I got down and inspected and was surprised that there was indeed very minimal damage to the rear of the XUV.

The City guy also had gotten out of his car by then. Seemed like a decent chap. He apologized profusely and explained what happened. Apparently his small baby sitting in the mother's lap (passenger seat) puked, created a mess and he got distracted. We were in the rightmost lane. I got in the car and slowly pulled over to the empty space on the left a bit ahead. The Honda City's bumper was completely dislodged and the guy struggled to put it back. He somehow managed to get the car with the dangling bumper to the side and parked behind me. He explained again and said sorry. Also said "If I can fix it in any way, let me know". There was his wife and 2 kids in the car. The elder daughter seemed shaken. I asked him if they are OK. He said Yes. No airbags popped out. There was very little damage to my car, whereas his bumper was completely dislodged and hood was deformed. The thought of whether I should ask for some compensation (may be balance from the insurance claim) came to my mind for a brief moment, but I brushed it aside. It was a genuine mistake and more importantly like a gentleman he accepted his mistake without any argument. I have kids of my own and know perfectly well how tricky and full of surprises a travel with young kids could be. I just told him "Its OK. I don't think you can drive the car in that condition. May be call a UBER and take the family home. The car would need to be towed to a service center."

The city with the damaged front.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-1.jpg

Punctured fiber bumper near the reflector. This is the most noticeable damage.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-10.jpg

A small dent on the left side of the bumper.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-4.jpg

The small dent. Another angle.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-6.jpg

There was no damage to the reversing camera or the spare wheel. Just minor scrape marks on the black molding.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-5.jpg

A little bit of paint transfer
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-2.jpg

Even from so close, one can hardly notice the damage.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-rearended-9.jpg

I am not getting this repaired.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd March 2016 at 10:01.
SDP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:06   #678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Wow. Damages to both cars don't even correlate to the same accident.

The City has it's bonnet bent, bumper broken off and both side fenders have buckled over the A pillar. That's some heavy damage. Not accounting for radiator or any other damage mechanically.

That XUV has some solid rear bumper.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:34   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was his wife and 2 kids in the car. The elder daughter seemed shaken. I asked him if they are OK. He said Yes.
I have kids of my own and know perfectly well how tricky and full of surprises a travel with young kids could be. I just told him "Its OK.
Sorry to hear about the incidence. Accidents do happen. But what makes difference is people like Honda city chap and you who can make it end better. There are very few out there who are honest and care for others. World will be full of fun when we have people like you everywhere.

Kudos to you for handling this situation well.

I too have left some scratches on my car as is - the plan is to fix them once I renew the insurance with some hefty 45% NCB for premium
abirnale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:04   #680
Team-BHP Support

That is real sweet of you to handle the situation.

I would have advised the gent to have kids at the back-seat and not at the front.

Does XUV's bumper have some connection with Ambuja Cement?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:06   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few weeks back, while I was heading to Pune, a Honda City rear ended my XUV.

I feel your pain...

But I am glad to note that XUV carries the Mahindra tradition of having strong body panels & bumpers!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:09   #682
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know everything is fine with the Car. Really impressed the way you have handled the situation, if it was me probably I would have not been that patient.

The noticeable damage looks like it might catch rust in future, so are you planning to get that fixed?
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:22   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Glad to know everything is fine with the Car. Really impressed the way you have handled the situation, if it was me probably I would have not been that patient.

The noticeable damage looks like it might catch rust in future, so are you planning to get that fixed?
The noticeable damage is on the bumper made of plastic fiber and not metal. So it will not rust even if left untreated.
Sisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:50   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting, maybe there was no need for me to get the rear bumper guard . I think the XUV exhaust could be the reason for the damage on city? Front of the city is not high and might have gone under the XUV.

Damage certainly looks like something you can live with. Luckily no damage to rear cam or sensors.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:37   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry! Its been ages since I updated this thread.

Even from so close, one can hardly notice the damage.
Attachment 1488676

Specially hats off to you for handling situation so nicely, maturely and letting goodwill prevail. A very nice example set forth.

Damage doesn't seem to warrant big repairs but if you can get only those portions done up on own cost at the SC in good-will and I presume which can be done at a very minuscule cost, do get it done just to keep your nice XUV500 clean. However, if not must, doesn't give any inkling of the damage from your farther shot.

Thankfully damage is minimal due to sedan ramming in. Had it been a bigger one, even mini-SUVs, it would have been different story, have seen a Scorp in such a situation with sorry state. But city seems drivable except that the bumper is hanging low.

Had a similar incident in 2006 when a Lancer rammed into my Innova from behind and while my Rear Bike Guard bent in and touching my Innova's rear bumber, the Lancer was a really sorrow sight, the bonnet having disfigured really badly than even this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Interesting, maybe there was no need for me to get the rear bumper guard .
Rear Guards are only as good as to withstand small bike nudges in stop and go traffic. Anything speedier and they will cause more damage than what would be without them. In this case, SDP could have expected to see his caved in rear bumper with such impact.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:34   #686
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Another (past) update:

About a month back, I started back from work on a otherwise normal day and 10 minutes into the journey, the entire dashboard console lit up with alarm beeps. The Diwali lights console was lit up like a proper Diwali. I mean even the symbols that don't light up when you switch the car ON, were lit up and blinking. Full on light and sounds show! The engine didn't die and nothing out of the ordinary seemed to be happening. The blinking and the alarms won't stop, so I pulled over to the side. With the engine still running, I recorded a video and also read error codes using a OBD2 bluetooth device. After that I switched off the engine, removed the key and then tried to restart the car. It didn't start. No starter motor sound, nothing. Have heard about some of these gremlins who live under the hood of Mahindra cars. So I removed the key, stepped out, locked the car and asked Duma to go stand in the corner. After about 5 minutes, I got in and switched the car on. No problems. Cranked the engine and it came to life without any issues. Absolutely no trace of the light and sounds from few minutes back.

Here's a snap of the lit up dashboard.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20160211_115459412.jpg

Also find screenshots of the error codes read by the OBD2:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-screenshot_20160208185242.png

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-screenshot_20160208185304.png

And finally, here are a couple of videos that I recorded.

The same thing happened 2-3 days later around the same time. The second time after switching off the car, it restarted without any issues.

Shared it with a bunch of XUV Owners and nobody had heard about such an error. Most likely a loose connection somewhere, so decided to wait it out till the 40K service.

Someone on XUV Owner's group said: As the tagline of Mahindra XUV goes, "Let your life be full of stories!"
Take that Toyota owners! You and your bulletproof reliability! Ha! You don't have any stories to tell!

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2016 at 10:44.
SDP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:20   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Someone on XUV Owner's group said: As the tagline of Mahindra XUV goes, "Let your life be full of stories!"
Take that Toyota owners! You and your bulletproof reliability! Ha! You don't have any stories to tell!
Hahaha....well put SDP! There never is a boring day with the XUV.

Did you get your car pressure washed before this happened? Maybe some water ingress into the fuse box can cause such warnings. A good dose of pressurised air from an air compressor would solve this.

Or else, it could be your old friend (some rats ) to be the culprit which judging by your car's history could be a possibility.

Cheerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:42   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another (past) update:

Shared it with a bunch of XUV Owners and nobody had heard about such an error. Most likely a loose connection somewhere, so decided to wait it out till the 40K service.
I had faced a similar issue in my XUV, but in my case it was irregular flickering of the instrument console. And my car did not start at all!

Turned our it was dirt on the battery terminals. You may want to check that, just in case...
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 22:38   #689
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This Prisma thing is simply awesome !

Here are a few attempts from Sunday's monsoon drive to Malshej:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-share-1.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-share-4.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-share-2.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-share-3.jpg
SDP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 21:01   #690
BHPian

Hello Sir - how are you Michelins coming along? Am planning to change from the duellers to the tour HPs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks