Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 20:51   #136
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Teaser

We went for a long-weekend drive to Bhandardara. It was an amazing trip and Duma behaved perfectly.

A detailed travelogue coming up soon.

Here's a teaser pic:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0021.jpg
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 01:40   #137
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Great pics SDP! you have taken some really quality shots! and your thread have been a great read. can come to know how attached you are to the Duma! also its been pretty informative too. on running in specially. wanted to know this and your link gave some great info.

one thing I wanted to know about the reverse camera is that, does it take a while to show it on the display if you had to reverse as soon as you start the car because of the loading of the screen and mahindra rise logo etc.? like if you had to reverse to take the car out of parking area and if you are in a hurry, it may be a problem right? as another Bhpian Dockap has installed a separate display on the inside rear view mirror which maybe for that reason. he's changed the IRVM for that i think.

last but not the least, the car looks fab in Red! keep it up

Last edited by magikrider : 21st August 2012 at 02:07.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 14:13   #138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
one thing I wanted to know about the reverse camera is that, does it take a while to show it on the display if you had to reverse as soon as you start the car because of the loading of the screen and mahindra rise logo etc.? like if you had to reverse to take the car out of parking area and if you are in a hurry, it may be a problem right? as another Bhpian Dockap has installed a separate display on the inside rear view mirror which maybe for that reason. he's changed the IRVM for that i think.
Thanks magikrider for the kind words!

About the reverse camera, during normal operation, it takes about 3 seconds for the camera display to appear. When you start the car and immediately put it in reverse, it does take time - may be close to 15-20 seconds - while the infortainment system boots up and Mahindra rises.

Yes, it is a bit of inconvenience. At the same time, personally I have been cautious with the XUV. So I do take time, let it idle for 15-30 seconds, verify mirrors, select the directory from which I want to listen to songs/audio-book and most importantly look out for any warning indicators from the dash before I start off.

I have seen the screen-embedded-inside-IVRM implementation recently in a i20 and liked it. If the delay is really troubling, one can definitely look at that option.

Last edited by SDP : 21st August 2012 at 14:15.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:00   #139
BHPian

I see you have not opted for side step. Is it easy for ingress/egress?. Does the kids/elderly persons need extra help for the same?
BTW did you opt for any other accessories or are you going to, in future?
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:01   #140
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I see you have not opted for side step. Is it easy for ingress/egress?. Does the kids/elderly persons need extra help for the same?
BTW did you opt for any other accessories or are you going to, in future?
For kids and elderly, its not very easy to get in. Its not too difficult either. My kids (aged 7 & 5) use the door-scuff plate as a first-step to get in.

On a related note, I have banged my head a couple of times trying to "walk-in" the XUV5OO.

So, not planning to add side-step or any other accessories any time soon.
I have opted for reverse-camera and XUV-branded floor-mats at the time of delivery. I am happy with the camera. The floor-mats are inadequate for the 2nd row and non-existent for the 3rd row. So planning to get 3D Kagu mats very soon. Another accessory (?) on my shopping list is the GPS tracker, for which I am still collecting information.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:42   #141
BHPian

Have you started compiling your travelogue, would love to see more pictures in that one If yes, please share URL !!
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:58   #142
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Have you started compiling your travelogue, would love to see more pictures in that one If yes, please share URL !!
Sorry, its not even in Assembly Line at this point of time. Would most likely start in Assembly Line tonight and the first leg should be out on Saturday.

With fog and low-visibility conditions, I had observed that I needed to adjust the mid-tones and contrast in practically every picture last time. This time, have shot most of the pictures with -0.7/-1 exposure compensation. So expecting post-processing to be faster this time around.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:29   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry, its not even in Assembly Line at this point of time. Would most likely start in Assembly Line tonight and the first leg should be out on Saturday.

With fog and low-visibility conditions, I had observed that I needed to adjust the mid-tones and contrast in practically every picture last time. This time, have shot most of the pictures with -0.7/-1 exposure compensation. So expecting post-processing to be faster this time around.
Well, I just love that weather - misty/ foggy. That gives so many options to play around in Post Processing your pictures
Would love to see it as soon as it is out for publish, please keep us posted.
naveenchhillar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:40   #144
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Financial Equation:

Quote:
The Financial Equation:
What I actually paid:
Dealer - Registration and Handling charges -> Rs 4,949
------------------------------------------------------------------
Questioned the dealer about the handling charges being too high. He gave me some stories. I argued that unless you send a scientist for standing in 2 queues for the RTO payment and showing the vehicle to the inspector, almost 5000 Rs for half a day of manual work sounds too high .

Finally, he has agreed to knock off Rs 2200 from the handling charges. Yet to receive the refund.
Update:
Finally, after one and half months, I got back Rs 1,750 from the dealer! Not bad, huh?
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:56   #145
BHPian

Re: The Financial Equation:

Quote:
Update:
Finally, after one and half months, I got back Rs 1,750 from the dealer! Not bad, huh?
Not to hijack your thread but I always assumed that more than 50% of the so called handling charges are used to "grease palms" at the RTO.

About getting money back from the dealer that is really really impressive. Getting money once it has left your hands is indeed a job well done!
ash_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:02   #146
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Extended Warranty

Extended Warranty:

While taking the delivery, I was told that the XUV5OO comes with 2 years and 65,000KMs warranty. When asked about extended warranty option, my sales manager informmed me that currently you can not buy extended warranty for XUV5OO. He added that I would get the 3rd year warranty free-of-cost at the time of first-service. Not sure if it was a freebie offered for a specific period of time or for all initial production batches.

When I told him that I wouldn't be bringing the vehicle to Pune from Mumbai just for service, he promised that he would get the 3rd year warranty leaflet processed and would mail it to my Mumbai address. Finally got it today.

So Duma is covered for 3 years and unlimited KMs now!

Last edited by SDP : 23rd August 2012 at 16:05.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:54   #147
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Extended Warranty:

While taking the delivery, I was told that the XUV5OO comes with 2 years and 65,000KMs warranty. When asked about extended warranty option, my sales manager informmed me that currently you can not buy extended warranty for XUV5OO. He added that I would get the 3rd year warranty free-of-cost at the time of first-service. Not sure if it was a freebie offered for a specific period of time or for all initial production batches.

When I told him that I wouldn't be bringing the vehicle to Pune from Mumbai just for service, he promised that he would get the 3rd year warranty leaflet processed and would mail it to my Mumbai address. Finally got it today.

So Duma is covered for 3 years and unlimited KMs now!
This is a real good info. Nobody informed me of third year warranty, I will take it up with my RM too. Infact in last couple of days the thought of warranty expiring did come to my mind. Since the vehicle is now almost six months old, it means one qtr of time period has elapsed and thinking of XUV without warranty is not that comforting. Therefore was wanting to broach the subject with RM. Now as they say, forewarned means forearmed, will talk to RM with some authority. Thanks once again.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 12:42   #148
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We went for a long-weekend drive to Bhandardara. It was an amazing trip and Duma behaved perfectly.

A detailed travelogue coming up soon.

Here's a teaser pic:
Attachment 972702
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
The first leg of the travelogue is up at the following location:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-igatpuri.html

Have noticed that writing a travelogue is quite a time-consuming task. For me, this weekend turned out to be not enough for even covering the first day of the 3 day trip.

Anyways, would attempt to finish the rest hopefully in next 6-7 days.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:16   #149
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Duma snaps from Bhandardara drive - Part 1

Some snaps of our "Duma" from Bhandardara drive. Enjoy!
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0175.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0177.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0178.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0216.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0414.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0415.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0416.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0520.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0591.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1226.jpg
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 22:10   #150
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Second visit to the service center - 1st Sep 2012

I have decided that I am going to enjoy this vehicle rather than worrying about small malfunctions here and there. I am definitely not planning to go to the service-center for every small thing. I accumulate a few work-items before taking Duma to the doctors. Having limited faith in the Doctors and the paranoia about the Doctors causing more problems is also another important reason.

The first visit to the service center was in last week of July (28th July). Vehicle pulling to the left, one of the blowers not working and the caved in fuel-lid opener switch were the primary issues corrected that time.

We have had 2 outings in Aug. In the Mahabaleshwar trip, the power-window issue surfaced on the rear LH side. The glass won't roll down. I also completed first 1000KM and was planning to get the oil change done. So decided to visit the service center today (1st Sep 2012) for primarily these 2 things.

Here's a complete list of work that I requested:
1. Engine oil and oil-filter change
2. Fix rear LHS power-window
3. Enable reverse horn
4. Adjust the front windshield washer nozzles
5. Reverse camera tends to pop-put by a couple of mm.
6. Replace the red dome light - few LEDs not working. (Complaint carried forward from 1st visit)
7. The silver part of the steering had some black spots.
8. Part of the rear-discs have some rust accumulation (on the non-contact part)
9. After coming from Bhandardara, I realized that I had been riding on 25-26psi (may be for a few weeks) and the ride was acceptable. When I bumped up the pressure to the recommended 32 in front and 30 in the rear, the ride is quite rough. There was a little bit of suspension noise as well from the front.

Besides these, I discussed the following with the SA during the trial:
1. Gear slotting slightly notchy for 1st gear - The SA explained me the design in detail and said that the first and reverse would feel a little tight forever.
2. Brake feel - The SA mentioned, there is a progressive feel to the brakes and they start to really sink in their teeth a bit late. He did one aggressive braking around a curve and the vehicle behaved perfectly. No nervousness, came to halt where I expected it.
3. Motor winding noise and vehicle vibrating episode in Mahaby trip - I explained it in detail to him and expressed my doubt that the start-stop feature or the starter-motor might have misbehaved. He was surprised by the issue, had not heard anything similar earlier. He promised that he would test with the diagnostic module for any error-codes.
4. Number itching on glass - He mentioned that the service is not available at this center and I need to visit someplace else.

I decided not to do anything about the first 2. More than the technical explanation given by the SA for the first 2, I trust his sincerity.

During the trial, he agreed to the noise coming from the front suspension and mentioned that most likely its because of the bushes of the front stabilizer bar. Promised to replace them under warranty.

Status of the issues after repairs/service:
1. Engine oil and oil-filter change -> Done. Paid ~1900 Rs for this.
2. Fix rear LHS power-window -> Winder replaced under warranty.
3. Enable reverse horn -> Enabled through software. Was not working. Repaired.
4. Adjust the front windshield washer nozzles -> Done
5. Reverse camera tends to pop-put by a couple of mm. -> Adjusted, but hardly any difference.
6. Replace the red dome light - few LEDs not working. (Complaint carried forward from 1st visit) -> The part is still not in stock.
7. The silver part of the steering had some black spots. -> Removed
8. Part of the rear-discs have some rust accumulation (on the non-contact part) -> Normal behavior. Nothing done.
9. Rough ride. A little bit of suspension noise as well from the front. -> Replaced the front-stabilizer bar bushes under warranty. The noise is gone. Need to test more for ride.

Got a thorough pressure-wash. Came home with a gleaming Duma!

Last edited by SDP : 1st September 2012 at 22:24.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed