Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:30   #151
Senior - BHPian

Were there any error codes found for the sudden engine vibration issue that surfaced in the mahaby trip ?
What was the brand of engine oil that was used for replacement ?
26 psi,is too low,was there any impact on the FE ?
Thank you the report !
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:16   #152
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Were there any error codes found for the sudden engine vibration issue that surfaced in the mahaby trip ?
Yes, there was. But that had came from the immobilizer/locking mechanism. Nothing conclusive. The SA told me that may be the door was not closed properly and the actuators/winders misbehaved. I didn't really understood or believe the explanation. I am just going to keep an eye on that one.

Quote:
What was the brand of engine oil that was used for replacement ?
Mahindra Maxmile. Looking at the price looks like its mineral. The XUV5OO needs 6 lts of it.

Quote:
26 psi,is too low,was there any impact on the FE ?
Thank you the report !
Yet to calculate accurate numbers (missing one fuel bill). But I have that hunch about the FE being low. Would update soon.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:20   #153
SDP
Team-BHP Support

At the service center

Decided to click photos at the service center, till somebody objects. Nobody did.
Here are a few snaps from my visit to the service center on 1st Sep 2012.

A snap from the customer lounge window. Was happy to see another red XUV. It was a well-maintained W6.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0544.jpg

My red Duma joins in.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0546.jpg

Once the car was raised, I took a few shots of the underbelly. Its quite tidy. You can see the spare wheel, the exhaust assembly, the split fuel tank.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0547.jpg

Heat insulation on the fuel tank.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0548.jpg

Engine oil being drained. The viscosity was fine, the color had changed to reddish black (1924 on the odo in 2 months). The new engine oil (Mahindra Maxmile) was of the apple-juice colour.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0549.jpg

Those small black pipes passing through the center of the split-tank. Most likely, brake-fluid lines.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0550.jpg

Mice have eaten into a rubber support.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0552.jpg

Just behind the bumper, before the radiator, there is a metal bar (behind that grill) to protect the radiator in case of a shunt.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0553.jpg

Is the engine made from Aluminum?
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0555.jpg

Around lunch time, our Duma was moved from the bay and was parked by the side.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0556.jpg

My daughter accompanied me this time. The service staff and the ladies in the office treated me very well because of my daughter. I took her to the shop floor as well when the bushes and the oil was being changed. She was curious and I explained her in detail what is being done (without worrying whether she can understand or not). I am planning to raise a diesel-head!
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0558.jpg

Spotted this XUV with rally orange stickering.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0559.jpg

Was wondering if it was one of the two that participated in the Mughal rally. No, those were Pune registered and heavily modified. This one is Mumbai registered.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0560.jpg

Looks like belongs to some enthusiast.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0561.jpg

Its an AWD.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0562.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0563.jpg

Planning to get the number plate changed to something like this.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0565.jpg

Spotted a purple XUV. It was GORGEOUS! Unfortunately from some angles and in some lighting conditions, it looks black.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0567.jpg

Duma goes for a bath.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0569.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0571.jpg

That's the royal purple one along with our red.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0572.jpg

Shining!
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0573.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 2nd September 2012 at 12:28.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:00   #154
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Yet to calculate accurate numbers (missing one fuel bill). But I have that hunch about the FE being low. Would update soon.
If you have an android phone, use "Fuel log" app.
If you have an iphone, I suppose there should be a similar app on iphone store.
If you are a blackberry boy, No comments

Last edited by F150 : 2nd September 2012 at 13:01. Reason: spell check
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 22:04   #155
Senior - BHPian

HI SDP - Did you get your GPS / Satellite lock for your XUV ? Waiting for an update on that.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th September 2012 at 22:08.
Old 4th September 2012, 22:27   #156
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
HI SDP - Did you get your GPS / Satellite lock for your XUV ? Waiting for an update on that.
Not yet. The RM had mentioned that it interferes with other systems in the car. So I have to be really sure about it before going for it.

BTW, the Mahindra Telematics guys are absolutely not interested in selling a GPS tracker to me. After multiple follow-ups, I have finally given up on them.

That leaves me with iTrack. I had asked the RM to patch me with the iTrack guy, but the RM did not seem interested. Would check again. Also planning to connect with iTrack directly.

Last edited by SDP : 4th September 2012 at 22:28.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:10   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not yet. The RM had mentioned that it interferes with other systems in the car. So I have to be really sure about it before going for it.

BTW, the Mahindra Telematics guys are absolutely not interested in selling a GPS tracker to me. After multiple follow-ups, I have finally given up on them.

That leaves me with iTrack. I had asked the RM to patch me with the iTrack guy, but the RM did not seem interested. Would check again. Also planning to connect with iTrack directly.
My 2 cents - Please try this security system. It at least sounds good (Save for Tata 's network).

http://www.tatadocomo.com/smartcar-security.aspx
Old 5th September 2012, 06:52   #158
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
My 2 cents - Please try this security system. It at least sounds good (Save for Tata 's network).

http://www.tatadocomo.com/smartcar-security.aspx
Umm..I am slightly skeptical about this solution. Unless Docomo has signed up with a GPS vendor, this would be based on their cellular network (GSM/CDMA). I have my doubts about how accurately GSM based solutions can pin-point a location.

Thanks for the tip though. Let me check it out.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:31   #159
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Duma - Kitna deta hain?

Duma - Kitna deta hain?

Duma is a boy. So, no "Kitna deti hain?". Its "Kitna deta hain?" instead.
Besides fuel costs, I am also going to track Parts-Service-Repairs expenses and amount spent on accessories as well. I am going to use the same format that Moderator tsk1979 has used for his Safari. Its part of his long-term ownership thread and I liked it (the thread as well as the format). Helps you to calculate the holistic "cost-per-km" of the vehicle over the lifetime of the vehicle. Thanks tsk1979!

Here's where we stand as of today:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-xuv-expense-tracking-1.png

Out of the ~2000kms driven till now, around 800-900kms (almost 50%) has been on highways. So I was expecting the overall mileage to be in the 13-14 range (average of ~10 in city and ~16 on highway).

Here's my view for the current low FE number:
1. The vehicle is still in its Run-in period
2. I am shifting slightly at higher RPM (closer to 2000) so as to let the engine experience broader rpm band
3. By mistake, I was driving with ~25PSI pressure for almost 4-5 weeks. The ride was better, but seems like the FE has taken a hit.

Any views/suggestions?
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 23:45   #160
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Duma snaps from Bhandardara drive - Part 2

Duma snaps from Bhandardara drive - Part 2

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1414.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1415.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0016.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0018.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0019.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0021.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0022.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0023.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0074.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0077.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0078.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0085.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0125.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0199.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0272.jpg
Old 7th September 2012, 00:49   #161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Duma - Kitna deta hain?

Quote:
Duma - Kitna deta hain?

Duma is a boy. So, no "Kitna deti hain?". Its "Kitna deta hain?" instead.
Besides fuel costs, I am also going to track Parts-Service-Repairs expenses and amount spent on accessories as well. I am going to use the same format that Moderator tsk1979 has used for his Safari. Its part of his long-term ownership thread and I liked it (the thread as well as the format). Helps you to calculate the holistic "cost-per-km" of the vehicle over the lifetime of the vehicle. Thanks tsk1979!

Here's where we stand as of today:
Attachment 981511

Out of the ~2000kms driven till now, around 800-900kms (almost 50%) has been on highways. So I was expecting the overall mileage to be in the 13-14 range (average of ~10 in city and ~16 on highway).

Here's my view for the current low FE number:
1. The vehicle is still in its Run-in period
2. I am shifting slightly at higher RPM (closer to 2000) so as to let the engine experience broader rpm band
3. By mistake, I was driving with ~25PSI pressure for almost 4-5 weeks. The ride was better, but seems like the FE has taken a hit.

Any views/suggestions?
The biggest thing thats hampering your FE is the tyre pressure. 25 is too low, though ride would be better. I keep mine at 32 though ride becomes little bumpy, but then i get 13 in City, so i am happy.
As for the shift, you should be changing it at 2000 rpm only as thats the ideal range for it. I always maintain this to get better FE.
Yes,after run-in, FE should improve.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 19:38   #162
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Running-In update @2000kms

Running-In update @2000kms

While going home on Friday night, reached the 2K mark on the Odo.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00152201209061919.jpg

Have been idling the engine for about 30 seconds before start since last 2 months. Some 2-3 weeks back, started the same practice before stopping the engine as well. Read on the forum that Mahindra Turbos can cost about 1L Rs. So need to take special care of my turbo.

The engine has become noticeably smoother. The oil change done about a week back might be helping as well. The engine-oil would get changed again in early Oct when the car goes for its first service.

No noises from brakes. Have driven with windows rolled down as well. The brake bite has improved, or may be I have just got used to it.

After getting low FE last time, I am planning to keep a close eye on the tyre-pressure. After topping up the pressure to 32 and 30 last time, the ride was stiff. As part of last visit to the service center, the bushes of the front balancing bar were replaced. It seems, the car rides better now.

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2012 at 19:40.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:34   #163
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am not used to powerful diesels and the strong "tug" produced by torquey engines. Initially there used to be a feeling of being out of control. Slowly I am getting used to it.

Duma - How it felt in the first few days
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-petcheetah.jpg

How it feels now
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-riding-cheetah.jpg
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 00:33   #164
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: At the service center

Quote:
Spotted this XUV with rally orange stickering.
Attachment 979678

Was wondering if it was one of the two that participated in the Mughal rally. No, those were Pune registered and heavily modified. This one is Mumbai registered.
Attachment 979679

Looks like belongs to some enthusiast.
Attachment 979680

Its an AWD.
Attachment 979681
Remember the AWD XUV5OO I had spotted at the service center?
Just found a snap of the same XUV on the FB page. Identified it by the reg. number. Looks like it participated in the Monastery Escape. This one was definitely stock.

Here's a pic from FB:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-monestery-escape399765_353086698110234_2142789355_n.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 15th September 2012 at 00:35.
Old 15th September 2012, 01:24   #165
Team-BHP Support

Re: Running-In update @2000kms

Quote:
Have been idling the engine for about 30 seconds before start since last 2 months. Some 2-3 weeks back, started the same practice before stopping the engine as well. Read on the forum that Mahindra Turbos can cost about 1L Rs. So need to take special care of my turbo.
Seriously? 1 lakhs for the turbo? Then again, it's quite possible since lighter turbos on much smaller engines cost close to 50k.

By the way, here are some observations.
1. M&M insists that you drive off gently after starting the car instead of idling
2. Unlike some of the earlier cars where they used to puta reminder plate with the engraved message about being a turbo fitted car and the necessary idling part there is no such thing anywhere on the XUV or in its manual
3. Now the part that worries me most. Inspite of what M&M says I still idle my car after switch on (cold start) and before switch off. In fact I drive the last 500 meters or more at very slow speed at low RPMs so that the turbo is not used and then idle before the final switch off. And yet once the engine stops I hear a very faint freewheeling spin of something for quite some time everyday after parking. I have even tried to open the hood to check whether it's the fan that spins, ala Fiats. I don't think it's the fan. Then what is it that keeps spinning even after engine has been shut off? I need to find this out.
4. That Micro whatever they have to automatically shuts off the engine once you stop in traffic and lift off from clutch on neutral, how does that support a still spinning turbo?
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks