Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 20:05   #196
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Ok... I was not getting so much into hair splitting. I used Hill-Hold as a generic word that basically was meant to refer the feature that controls the movement of your vehicle on steep gradients. But yes, to be very accurate, the term I meant here was HDC.

Not sure what you meant by "disengages with throttle input". It remains disengaged all the time except when it reads two simultaneous, positive parameters. 1. The vehicle is at a gradient 2. The speed is beyond what it feels it should be for that gear

Now I am not sure what happens if you are flying down a steep hill on 4th or 5th gear! May be the HDC will never engage; afterall it's supposed to support the driver in descending down a hill not intervene on the intentions of a suicidal person. Honestly, thats an angle I never tried to test. Generally on 2nd and 3rd gear I have seen the vehicle reduces to a crawl.
Hey thanks for the clarification on ESP and sorry for the 'baal-khi-khaal' type observation
I have huge doubts about the functioning of HDC, so I typically keep it turned off. When I actually need to use it on a steep downward slope, I turn it on and leave all the 3 pedals alone. The vehicle just crawls down. I have a lingering doubt that if I actually give acceleration while the HDC is doing its thing, it would disengage HDC and give back complete control to the driver. Have not tried it yet.

One more interesting thing: while I was taking a TD, the Sales guy took me to a place where HDC could be tested. Although the D in HDC is 'descent', he actually told me to switch it on while going up-hill and the XUV5OO actually crawled up that slope, without any accelerator input!

Also I faintly remember reading somewhere that HDC works even in Neutral! Need to re-read the manual and do some testing when I get some time. Would do that and post my findings here.

Last edited by SDP : 20th September 2012 at 20:35.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:39   #197
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiondrive View Post
Nitin,its supposed to help you when you barge into a sharp curve too fast. Can anyone of the w8 owners give an insight into such an experience?
Quoting directly from the other thread, my real life experience w.r.t. ESP/ EBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Few months back I was driving on a two way highway in MP. It was a very good straight road and I was enjoying a speed of around 120-125 as it was 2 o'clock in the night and there was no traffic at all. The road was turning towards the left about 30 digress so I did not bother to lower my speed. As soon as I approached that turn i saw the road turned 45 degrees towards the right. It took me by surprise and I have to maneuver a 2 ton mammoth 75 digress at a speed of 100+. That's when the ESP kicked in and I was able to see it's light on the dial. I would have over steered a lot towards right because I was in a panic situation. I was able to feel the systematic breaking that was being applied on the right side wheels and then on the left and then again on the right. It felt as if God has laid his hands to balance out the car from both sides XUV just adjusted itself and remained on the track. That was a life saver experience of the ESP.
rohitbagai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 17:33   #198
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Impressions from the 600KM drive to Kaas on 19th Sep:

1. At highway speeds (90+), the range AND intensity of the low-beam feels inadequate. Switching ON the high-beam was the only option. The high-beam is fantastic.

2. Front Fog lights are again highly inadequate for driving. I use them only to give better visibility of my car to other road-users.

3. With the low-beam ON, when you flash the high-beam, the low-beam goes OFF and High-beam comes ON. The transition is not seamless and there is a blank spot where both the beams are OFF! (Anybody else noticed this?)

4. 2-3 instances of urgent braking when a vehicle suddenly appeared in front of me at a turn. The XUV must have been around 50-60kmph and brought it to a complete stop. The stopping distance was more than what I had imagined/anticipated.

5. During braking the nose-dip is noticeable, which accentuates the "feel" of the urgent braking. Overall the braking experience is not confident inspiring.

6. While reversing at a off-road spot, a patch of the land was 5-6 inches higher than the rest. Was difficult to spot that patch in the reverse camera, but the reverse-sensors did their job well and started screaming.

7. I tend to up-shift around 2000 rpm and I genuinely doubt if I should instead stick to 1500 rpm. The problem with shifting at 2000 rpm is that - the 5th gear becomes useless. After accelerating till 2000 rpm in 4th gear, I tend to go to the 5th only for a brief second -more as a formality- before I upshift to 6th gear.

8. The cruise control is really helpful. In most Indian highways, there are enough surprises that would most likely not allow us to engage the cruise for more than 5 minutes at a stretch. BUT, those 5 minutes are good enough to take the pressure off your feet and decrease the driving fatigue. During the return journey of 5.5 hours, except for 2 micro-breaks, we did not stop anywhere. Did not feel any need for an extended break! Not a good driving practice and definitely not recommended, but if you HAVE to do it, XUV5OO is the car to be in.

9. The tinted glasses don't really protect from harsh sun and very soon you start feeling the burn. I am not expecting the tint to work like proper sun-film, so no complaints. Just making an observation because looks like I will have to go for some sort of sun-film real soon if I intend to drive after the monsoon.

10. I am slowly getting used to NOT slowing down for bad road surface and minor potholes (a habit from the hatch days). In such road conditions, the ride at moderate-to-high speed is much better than crawling-to-slow speeds.

11. The FE during this highway run was close to 12.5-13. Drove at 100-120 for most parts. Slightly less than my expectation of 15 on highways.

Overall, the XUV5OO is a near-perfect partner for highway runs because of the comfort. The kids slept through most of the return journey and woke up fresh in Mumbai.

Last edited by SDP : 24th September 2012 at 18:01.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 00:39   #199
Senior - BHPian

First thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
3. With the low-beam ON, when you flash the high-beam, the low-beam goes OFF and High-beam comes ON. The transition is not seamless and there is a blank spot where both the beams are OFF! (Anybody else noticed this?)
Can you post a video of this? (may be taken around your apartment at night?)

Quote:
4. 2-3 instances of urgent braking The stopping distance was more than what I had imagined/anticipated.
Did ABS and ESP kick in? Did you manage to see if the ABS and ESP light was glowing/blinking in the instrument console? Or did you feel any wheel skid?

Quote:
6. While reversing at a off-road spot, a patch of the land was 5-6 inches higher than the rest. Was difficult to spot that patch in the reverse camera, but the reverse-sensors did their job well and started screaming.
do you mean to say, you werent able to differentiate the depth? Aren't these cameras 3D images?

Quote:
9. The tinted glasses don't really protect from harsh sun and very soon you start feeling the burn.
You can buy those window shades(removable, stuck using vaccum plugs). They don't reduce the heat produced by the glasshouse but they stop direct sunlight entering the vehicle thereby, reducing glare and provides a passive cooling.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:55   #200
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
First thanks for the update!
Sure, will do that. Sharing the video might be tricky. Don't want to upload to YouTube.

Quote:
Did ABS and ESP kick in? Did you manage to see if the ABS and ESP light was glowing/blinking in the instrument console? Or did you feel any wheel skid?
Don't think either ABS or ESP kicked in. Had my eyes glued to the road, so did not notice the ABS/ESP lights, so not sure. No skid for sure.

Quote:
do you mean to say, you werent able to differentiate the depth? Aren't these cameras 3D images?
The side of the road had grass. I was able to differentiate the depth in terms of how far was everything from the bumper. But the height difference was not obvious from the camera. Not sure I am able to explain it correctly.

Quote:
You can buy those window shades(removable, stuck using vaccum plugs). They don't reduce the heat produced by the glasshouse but they stop direct sunlight entering the vehicle thereby, reducing glare and provides a passive cooling.
The XUV does have a rather large greenhouse. I guess I would get the sun-film as well as the removable shades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FE Update

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-xuv-expense-tracking-2.png

From the last 9.85 kmpl, there is a sigificant improvement to 11.26 kmpl.

Last edited by SDP : 25th September 2012 at 11:07.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:25   #201
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a video:
converted.zip
Its a 3gp file converted to mp4 and then zipped.

I start with a low-beam and slowly push the lever towards me for flashing the high beam and there is a blank-spot where both the beams are off.

PS: when you do it fast (as in real-life situations), you might not even notice it.

Last edited by SDP : 26th September 2012 at 09:26.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 09:51   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a video:
Attachment 991769
Its a 3gp file converted to mp4 and then zipped.

I start with a low-beam and slowly push the lever towards me for flashing the high beam and there is a blank-spot where both the beams are off.

PS: when you do it fast (as in real-life situations), you might not even notice it.
Thanks for sharing your experiences SDP! Not sure how slowly you did this, but the lag is pretty obvious. Also, I saw a lot of discussions on the low beam being inadequate in the official test drive thread as well, but don't seem to remember anyone who has managed to find a solution. Did you hear from anyone who has upgraded to HID's on their impact ?
Also, are you on the latest brake pads that have been introduced? Finally, I like your expense tracker. Seems pretty handy and a good one to use. Would you mind sharing the template? (I know it should be fairly easy to set up in excel, but want to be lazy if I can )
Old 26th September 2012, 11:28   #203
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!

Lag is quite obvious. One thought that came in my mind was, are you pulling the stalk too slow? Normally, when I do this in my bike(switching from low to hi) and one does it real slow, both the filaments glow(both hi and low) and I guess thats the phase in XUV that, low switches off and Hi switches on. When one is quite soft in pulling the stalk, might actually see the lag. You too have pointed out that its not possible to visualize this in real life situations(flick to pass situations.). Did you try, flashing the High, with low on? not a soft pull,rather, a simple flick of the stalk, like you do in real time.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 11:43   #204
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences SDP! Not sure how slowly you did this, but the lag is pretty obvious. Also, I saw a lot of discussions on the low beam being inadequate in the official test drive thread as well, but don't seem to remember anyone who has managed to find a solution. Did you hear from anyone who has upgraded to HID's on their impact ?
Also, are you on the latest brake pads that have been introduced? Finally, I like your expense tracker. Seems pretty handy and a good one to use. Would you mind sharing the template? (I know it should be fairly easy to set up in excel, but want to be lazy if I can )
Quote:
Thanks!
Lag is quite obvious. One thought that came in my mind was, are you pulling the stalk too slow? Normally, when I do this in my bike(switching from low to hi) and one does it real slow, both the filaments glow(both hi and low) and I guess thats the phase in XUV that, low switches off and Hi switches on. When one is quite soft in pulling the stalk, might actually see the lag. You too have pointed out that its not possible to visualize this in real life situations(flick to pass situations.)....
About the blank-spot, on second throughts, I do believe that I am over-analyzing the situation (baal-ki-khaal ).

Yes, in the video, I am deliberately doing it slowly and actually holding on the stalk at the blank-spot so that you guys don't miss it.
During normal operation, when you quickly flash the high-beam, unless you are a very keen observer, you won't even notice the blank-spot. I did and found it interesting because of the inevitable comparison with the Alto that I own.

In the Alto, when you are on low-beam, only the low-beam bulb/filament is ON. When you are on high-beam, only the high-beam bulb/filament is ON. When you flash the high beam in the Alto at night, there is a sweet-spot where if you hold the stalk, you can have both the bulbs/filaments ON and I really like the brilliant illumination at this sweet-spot.

In the XUV, I was trying to find a similar sweet-spot and discovered the blank-spot instead at the same position of the stalk. In fact, in XUV, when you are on high-beam, BOTH the low-beam and high-beam bulbs are ON.

So in Alto,
High-Beam = High-beam bulb
Whereas in XUV,
High-Beam = Low-beam bulb + High-beam bulb

Not sure which one is the standard implementation. Would need to check a few more car models.

Anyways, these are exercises for the over-analyzing mind. So, never mind.

PS: My XLS tracker attached.
XUV expense tracking.xlsx

Last edited by SDP : 26th September 2012 at 11:54.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 18:34   #205
BHPian

Quote:
So in Alto,
High-Beam = High-beam bulb
Whereas in XUV,
High-Beam = Low-beam bulb + High-beam bulb

Not sure which one is the standard implementation. Would need to check a few more car models.
I think that it how it is supposed to work. I Alto, or for that matter any other car which has a single bulb headlight setup (Same bulb for High/Low beam),

High-Beam = High-Beam
Low-Beam=Low-Beam

But in case of cars which have dual bulbs, like XUV (Projector for Low+Halogen for High) or Civic, Laura, etc,

Low-Beam=Low-Beam
High-Beam=Low-Beam+High-Beam

Sorry, if I am wrong with my understanding.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 22:29   #206
Senior - BHPian

In my Fiesta, which has a dual headlight assembly like XUV, when driving on low beam and you flick for high beam, low beam used to stay on. Unlike in XUV where low beam goes off and only high beam is on. Strange. Dont know why mahindra couldn't use this set up as its more useful in terms of light throw/better visibility.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 23:44   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....In fact, in XUV, when you are on high-beam, BOTH the low-beam and high-beam bulbs are ON....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
....Unlike in XUV where low beam goes off and only high beam is on. Strange. Dont know why mahindra couldn't use this set up as its more useful in terms of light throw/better visibility.
Both of you seem to contradict?! One says in high beam, ONLY high beam stays ON & the other says in high beam, both low & high beams stay ON.

Anyway what's the bulb spec for XUV? I understand it's not H4.

Also since almost all XUV owners concur that low beam doesn't make a cut, whose gonna do an HID set up for low beam, first? I assume the headlight already has a projector set up, so adding an HID should be easy & a perfect job too.
Old 27th September 2012, 00:11   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Both of you seem to contradict?! One says in high beam, ONLY high beam stays ON & the other says in high beam, both low & high beams stay ON.
When the high beam is ON both high&low are ON. When we just need to flash highbeam (from low been position) to on coming traffic the low beam switches OFF and only the high beam flashes.
SDP is talking about the high beam position while Nitin, about the flasher(I guess that's not the wrong term)
rohitbagai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 01:35   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
When the high beam is ON both high&low are ON. When we just need to flash highbeam (from low been position) to on coming traffic the low beam switches OFF and only the high beam flashes.
SDP is talking about the high beam position while Nitin, about the flasher(I guess that's not the wrong term)
Bang on. I was talking bout flashing only, low beam goes off till the time high beam is On, which not used to happen in Fiesta.

As for the first person to go for HID's, well i would love to do so, but not sure about the warranty part. Also i have a BAD luck when it comes to bulb's In Fiesta, i had zillion bulb's changed. And now in XUV, righthand side DRL's are gone, so i dont want to mess with warranty if i put HID's.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 09:42   #210
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Duma snaps from Kaas trip on 19th Sep 2012

Duma snaps from Kaas trip on 19th Sep 2012
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0014.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0015.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0019.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0320.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0323.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0335.jpg
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed