Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 10:29   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. LHS low-beam headlight bulb had fused. This is the 2nd bulb I have lost. I suspected voltage-fluctuation.
Work done: Bulb replaced.
Could you know whats the reason for such consistent blowing up?

Quote:
2. Gear knob plastic had chipped. Would provide a snap in couple of days. Since this can not be due to regular wear&tear and the lever had not hit anything in the past, I suspected bad quality as the cause of the chipped part.
Work done: Part not in stock. I would be called in after 2-3 days when the part is in stock.
I have been seeing the chipping off since initial days with simple rubbing of hand on the knob. Probably ask them to devise an accessory with wooden knob and also get it free from them

Quote:
3. Brake "groan". Brakes make noise when applied. Had heard that the latest non-Bosch brake pads seem to be the final solution.
Work done: Brake-pads replaced with version 4 non-Bosch brake-pads. Brake-pedal replaced as well. Quantum jump in the brake's performance. The brake starts biting significantly earlier and there is absolutely no 'groan' noise from the brake. Love them. Was told that these brake-pads are being tested and I have been asked to provide a feedback after a few days.
Good, I will have to update my friend about it and get it sorted out.

Quote:
6. Front wiper spray not working. This was a repeat problem and had reoccurred 3 days after it was fixed.
Work done: Some twist in the pipe seem to have caused the problem. Fixed.
Curious. Then what did they fix last time? How can the twist happen by its own?

Quote:
7. Low mileage on highways. I shared detailed data with them and mentioned that over the entire 8700kms of running the average is 11.75kmpl. This was reported last time as well and they had cleaned up the air-filter last time.
Work done: Checked the filters again. Checked the engine's parameters as well. Could not find anything out of ordinary. Was told that most owners are reporting an average fuel efficiency of 10-13kmpl on mixed city+highway usage. So looks like the FE I am getting is in the correct range.
Seems quite similar to my friend's findings. The MID shows higher readings though practically it is not so.

Quote:
The only problem is that the vehicle got a small ding on the rear right door. Brought it to their notice and they offered to fix and repaint the entire panel. I asked them to keep a note of the ding and opted out of any immediate fix (because of the repainting that would be done).
Suggest you use it to your advantage. Don't get the work done if it is just a minor dint without any panel scape and exposed metal. Factory-finish paint won't be possible. Go for it in worst case some major accident work happens.

Quote:
Informal news: Watch the XUV official site and FB page next week. A positive surprise is most likely in store.
Wonder, wonder, whats in store, a revamped XUV500?
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 11:11   #317
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Running Repairs 2nd & 3rd March 2013
7. Low mileage on highways. I shared detailed data with them and mentioned that over the entire 8700kms of running the average is 11.75kmpl. This was reported last time as well and they had cleaned up the air-filter last time.
Work done: Checked the filters again. Checked the engine's parameters as well. Could not find anything out of ordinary. Was told that most owners are reporting an average fuel efficiency of 10-13kmpl on mixed city+highway usage. So looks like the FE I am getting is in the correct range.
SDP, I'm getting a feeling that the mileage could improve. I follow these steps and I'm getting close to 15kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic with AC on.

If it's two people in the car, I close the second row AC vents.
If it's just me driving, I close the passenger side AC vents.

I don't use Start/Stop function, as I suspect every time an engine starts the amount of fuel injected is a little more.

I drive sedately ofcourse.
Now I'm in the run-in period and not sure if the mileage would change after 2.5k.

I don't have a scientific method to prove that the above procedures in anyway impacts the FE. But worth a try.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 06:53   #318
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Forgot one more thing: They proactively added a new clip to the hooter. There have been instances where the hooter has fallen off and got entangled in power steering belt. The additional clip should address that.

If there is a clip, M&M acknowledges the problem and has a solution - at least a make-shift one . Other owners should ask for this when they visit next time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Could you know whats the reason for such consistent blowing up?
They investigated. Could not find anything out of ordinary.

Quote:
I have been seeing the chipping off since initial days with simple rubbing of hand on the knob. Probably ask them to devise an accessory with wooden knob and also get it free from them
I am not talking about the paint.
Here's the pic that I promised:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00258201303061011.jpg

Quote:
Wonder, wonder, whats in store, a revamped XUV500?
Nah! We just have to wait a few more days to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
SDP, I'm getting a feeling that the mileage could improve. I follow these steps and I'm getting close to 15kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic with AC on.

I don't have a scientific method to prove that the above procedures in anyway impacts the FE. But worth a try.
I drive alone most of the time. So I have started using your method of closing all unused AC vents. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by SDP : 7th March 2013 at 07:12.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 07:10   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1059142
WHAT? This is really happening? Unimaginable, unless ofcourse you must have become a wrestler man, now that you have been reclaiming your inner strength day by day.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 07:16   #320
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
WHAT? This is really happening? Unimaginable, unless ofcourse you must have become a wrestler man, now that you have been reclaiming your inner strength day by day.

Precisely my argument, when they mentioned it can not be covered under warranty. The part has not received impact of any sort. So the chipping-off has to do with the quality of the original part. They have ordered the part. Although they have not mentioned clearly whether I would be charged for it or not, I don't believe they would.
Old 7th March 2013, 09:38   #321
BHPian

Quote:

That's a nice tip. Certainly worth trying out.Thanks.

Quote:
Attachment 1059142
SDP really sorry to see that. Wonder how that happened. Otherwise the gear stick is so good. Hope they fix it soon.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 14:41   #322
BHPian

Quote:

Precisely my argument, when they mentioned it can not be covered under warranty. The part has not received impact of any sort. So the chipping-off has to do with the quality of the original part. They have ordered the part. Although they have not mentioned clearly whether I would be charged for it or not, I don't believe they would.
Mine too got replaced under warranty. The problem is that the material used inside the knob self expanded and the crack happened. Mahindra knows this very well.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 7th March 2013 at 14:42.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 20:03   #323
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Informal news: Watch the XUV official site and FB page next week. A positive surprise is most likely in store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Whats that you are hinting at? Can we have a peek?
Quote:
...Wonder, wonder, whats in store, a revamped XUV500?

Please check the Niggles thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3060545

Do check abhinavinc's post and my post immediately after that. This is precisely what I was talking about!

Quote:
He also said it was an official recall by M&M only for some 2012 manufactured vehicles and said to check the newspapers for directions regarding the same.
Quote:
The list of parts mentioned matches exactly with what I was informally told on Saturday 2nd Mar 2013!

Thanks for the confirmation abhinavinc. This is going to be the first official recall by Mahindras. Big step for Mahindras! I am a bit skeptical about print-announcement. But I am keeping my fingers crossed.

May be I should wait till the news is announced, but what the heck - Congratulations Mahindras for doing the right thing for the customer! Safety issues have to be taken seriously (power steering failure) and there should not be any hesitance to accept the fault and offer to correct it.
Looks like a proper recall, a first one for Mahindras!
Old 16th March 2013, 14:26   #324
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2. Gear knob plastic had chipped. Would provide a snap in couple of days. Since this can not be due to regular wear&tear and the lever had not hit anything in the past, I suspected bad quality as the cause of the chipped part.
Work done: Part not in stock. I would be called in after 2-3 days when the part is in stock.

6. Front wiper spray not working. This was a repeat problem and had reoccurred 3 days after it was fixed.
Work done: Some twist in the pipe seem to have caused the problem. Fixed.

Running Repairs (16th Mar 2013)

Sometime during the week, the RM called up and confirmed that he has received the gear-knob and asked me to bring in the vehicle for half an hour on any day.

Visited the service center today. Since I was anyways headed for the service-center, decided to check a few things in the vehicle. Realized that the front-wiper-spray is not working again. That's the third time! Now that's irritating!

Reached the service center at 10am and got the following things done.
1. Gear knob plastic cracked.
Gear knob replaced under warranty.

2. Front-wiper-spray not working.
Front-wiper-spray motor replaced under warranty.

3. The gear shift had become a bit clunky from last visit.
Lubricated. Feels better now.

4. Plastic valve-cap of one of the tyres was missing.
Got a new one. 5 Rs.

Overall bill 56Rs including some 50 odd rs for disposable covers for seat and steering.
Took 2.5 hours because of job-card system issues + no entry for the part in their system.

ODO at 8950 today. The 10K service is about 1-1.5 months away.

Last edited by SDP : 16th March 2013 at 14:29.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:23   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
No, The thing is that every manufacturer has its own list of custom PIDs specific to its model. Although the protocol is standard the PIDs are different. The generic PIDs are readable but we would need specific PIDs provided by M&M to take the process to a whole new level. As of now I guess 50% of PIDs are generic and readable and another 50% are M&M specified. Torque has an option to add a custom list of PIDs if we get that list from M&M, we would be able to use the setup in a much better and specific ways.
Hi,

I was looking to use OBD-II bluetooth link from Scantools - http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-mx.html

Will this work to get all the diagnostic info from the XUV-500 into an app like Torque? Have you been able to get the Mahindra specific PIDs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:41   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxgaze View Post
Hi,

I was looking to use OBD-II bluetooth link from Scantools - http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-mx.html

Will this work to get all the diagnostic info from the XUV-500 into an app like Torque? Have you been able to get the Mahindra specific PIDs?

Thanks in advance.
Yep it should definitely work with torque app and XUV.
I have yet to get hold of someone at Mahindra that has all the PIDs. If the staff at service center have them, they don't know how to extract them from their scanners.
Old 22nd March 2013, 00:28   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Work done: Checked the filters again. Checked the engine's parameters as well. Could not find anything out of ordinary. Was told that most owners are reporting an average fuel efficiency of 10-13kmpl on mixed city+highway usage. So looks like the FE I am getting is in the correct range....
SDP, Could you mention the weight / number of people carried during your highway drives, speeds done, & traffic condition?

Quote:
...Informal news: Watch the XUV official site and FB page next week. A positive surprise is most likely in store.
+1 one of the previous post! You should NOT raise the BP of some of us, the weak hearted bhp'ians!

Edit::
Quote:
....If it's two people in the car, I close the second row AC vents.
If it's just me driving, I close the passenger side AC vents...
How will the mere closing of the vents improve mileage? If there are two compressors (like Innova / Ertiga high end variants) then switching off the second compressor could gain some FE. Are you talking of the same? Otherwise, I feel closing the vents will result in more time taken to cool the interiors which means running the AC in lower temperature or higher blower speed, which could result in more fuel being burnt.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd March 2013 at 00:35. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 22nd March 2013, 03:57   #328
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
SDP, Could you mention the weight / number of people carried during your highway drives, speeds done, & traffic condition?
4 Adults + 2 kids = 280-285 KGs and a boot full to the brim = 75-80 KGs. So let's say overall 350-360 Kgs. Maintained top-speed in the 90-110 kmph range, very rare short bursts to 120kmph. The traffic was excellent and roads smooth as this is Gujarat state I am talking about. Tyres were overinflated to ~38-40psi. 100% AC usage at 25 degrees, third-row-AC not used. Around 2800 kms done over 8 days. Tanked-up 4 times during those 8 days. Got FE of 12.5kmpl during that trip. I was expecting about 15.

My personal guess is that the FE drops by about 1.5kmpl with 100% AC usage. With full-load, the FE further drops by another 1.5-2.0 kmpl.

Fellow XUV-owner and TBHPian Mudhalaipatti has done a few tests with various loading factors and tyre-pressure combinations. His results are very close to my guesstimates. His experiments suggest that when the loading changes from 4 adults to 7 adults, assuming all remaining parameters to be same, the FE drops by as much as 4 kmpl! I won't be surprised if that is true.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd March 2013 at 04:11.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:26   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4 Adults + 2 kids = 280-285 KGs and a boot full to the brim = 75-80 KGs. So let's say overall 350-360 Kgs. Maintained top-speed in the 90-110 kmph range, very rare short bursts to 120kmph. The traffic was excellent and roads smooth as this is Gujarat state I am talking about. Tyres were overinflated to ~38-40psi. 100% AC usage at 25 degrees, third-row-AC not used. Around 2800 kms done over 8 days. Tanked-up 4 times during those 8 days. Got FE of 12.5kmpl during that trip. I was expecting about 15...
I think for this load, 12.5 is at par. Rest of the parameters say you drove smooth and "qualify" to get the BEST FE.

Quote:
...Fellow XUV-owner and TBHPian Mudhalaipatti...His experiments suggest that when the loading changes from 4 adults to 7 adults, assuming all remaining parameters to be same, the FE drops by as much as 4 kmpl! I won't be surprised if that is true.
Probaby I missed it - but, whoever got 15 kmpl had very similar conditions to yours? I kind of guess it was with much lesser load.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd March 2013 at 12:27.
Old 24th March 2013, 11:43   #330
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Spent some quality time with the Duma today early morning.

Washed the car with shampoo and waxed 3 panels.

Got delivery of DigiFit 3D floor mats for XUV5OO yesterday. Put them in the car today. They are OKish. Definitely not in the 3D Kagu Maxpider league. But 3D Kagu Maxpider are daylight robbery, so these at 1/4th the cost are decent enough.

Almost 9 months of ownership, but I had not tried how to remove the spare wheel. Did that today. Removed the spare-wheel. The alloy as well as the tyre was quite dirty. Washed it thoroughly and put it back. Saw the inside of the alloy ...it says "Made In China".

Also attached the rear tow-hook to understand how to do it if needed. Removed it and put it back.

When you spend some uninterrupted time with your car, you understand your car better and you bond well.

Last edited by SDP : 24th March 2013 at 11:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks