Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 10:36   #346
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Running Repairs (16th Mar 2013)

ODO at 8950 today. The 10K service is about 1-1.5 months away.
Hi SDP how do you plan to ensure that the tyre rotation gets done at the 10K service. The reason I ask is that in all these years I would get it done at my favourite tyrewalla in front of my eyes. Now with the XUV it's not possible because of Tiretronics. Do you have any strategy in mind?
Old 14th April 2013, 10:48   #347
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Hi SDP how do you plan to ensure that the tyre rotation gets done at the 10K service. The reason I ask is that in all these years I would get it done at my favourite tyrewalla in front of my eyes. Now with the XUV it's not possible because of Tiretronics. Do you have any strategy in mind?
I believe the 10K service mentions tyre-rotation. So ideally the service-center should do it during the service.

Tyretronics should not be a issue for rotation. The manual describes the procedure for the tyretronics system to re-learn the new location of each wheel. So even if one gets the rotation done outside the A.S.S., that should not pose too many challenges.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:43   #348
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the 10K service mentions tyre-rotation. So ideally the service-center should do it during the service.

Tyretronics should not be a issue for rotation. The manual describes the procedure for the tyretronics system to re-learn the new location of each wheel. So even if one gets the rotation done outside the A.S.S., that should not pose too many challenges.
I checked both the regular manual and the infotainment manual and could'nt find the "procedure for the tyretronics system to re-learn". Appreciate SDP if you can quote the section / page numbers. Many thanks in advance.
Old 14th April 2013, 13:10   #349
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I checked both the regular manual and the infotainment manual and could'nt find the "procedure for the tyretronics system to re-learn". Appreciate SDP if you can quote the section / page numbers. Many thanks in advance.
No problems, Sir. Here you go:
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-xuv-tpms.png

In the PDF manual, page no. 261, 262, 263.
Section 15 pages 14,15,16.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 14:52   #350
BHPian

Quote:
No problems, Sir. Here you go:

In the PDF manual, page no. 261, 262, 263.
Section 15 pages 14,15,16.
Mystery solved !

I had downloaded the Oct 2011 Manual in Nov last year. Just missed the 2012 edition. That was the time it was being readied. Surprisingly, even during delivery they handed me the 10/2011 issue. Probably the 11/2012 issue was'nt out in print. As you would have gathered by now, this tyretronics stuff is'nt there in the 2011 version. many thanks for all the help.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 21:30   #351
SDP
Team-BHP Support

M&M A.S.S. Negligence

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-surgical-images.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00266201304160936.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00267201304160937.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00268201304160937.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00269201304160937.jpg
Old 17th April 2013, 09:21   #352
BHPian

^^ Look at the bright side- free screwdriver!
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 10:19   #353
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, this is crazy .
Thank God that screwdriver didn't get stuck @ something, otherwise it would have been disaster.
Bdw i also see some screw over there, were those also left unscrewed or you happen to unscrew then.

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 10:33   #354
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I wish they would leave something substantial like a Pete's tuning box or a additional turbo in there instead of the lousy battered screwdriver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Oh man, this is crazy .
Thank God that screwdriver didn't get stuck @ something, otherwise it would have been disaster.
Bdw i also see some screw over there, were those also left unscrewed or you happen to unscrew then.

Cheers
I removed the coolant container to have access to the screwdriver which I could see, but could not reach. So the bolts that you see are the ones removed by me.

You are right. If that screwdriver would have fallen further down and got entangled with a moving part, it could have been a disaster. Feel like doing to the service center folks.

Last edited by SDP : 17th April 2013 at 10:39. Reason: merging posts
Old 17th April 2013, 11:55   #355
BHPian

Quote:
During the cleaning and waxing session on Sunday, I noticed that the right front tyre seemed underinflated. When I checked the pressure, it showed 22psi!

I got the air topped up yesterday in all tyres and this particular tyre hasn't shown any leakage till today morning. So I doubt if there is a punture.

The SUV was at the service center on 2nd and 3rd Mar. The work included steering center-alignment and resolving vehicle-pulling-to-left issue. Unfortunately I had not checked tyre-pressure when I got the vehicle back. Now I have a doubt: did the service-center lowered the pressure in my front-right tyre as they could not solve the vehicle-pulling-to-left issue any other way?

Is that possible? There are a few posts on the niggles thread which hint at a design issue because of which the camber can not be adjusted beyond a limit. Could this be related to that? Am I being too paranoid?
Its a growing practice service centers are adopting when they can't fix the alignment issue. Recently I gave my car for wheel alignment and was happy with their work only to realize about 2 weeks later that tyre-pressure in front two tyre was insane. In one it was 38psi and other 28 psi.

Last edited by ambujlal : 17th April 2013 at 11:56.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:52   #356
BHPian

From wiki

"Geometric analysis shows it cannot allow vertical movement of the wheel without some degree of either camber angle change, sideways movement, or both. It is not generally considered to give as good handling as a double wishbone suspension, because it allows the engineers less freedom to choose camber change and roll center."

Is it that Independent McPherson, anti-roll bar suspension can't be adjusted and the vehicle can never stay on a straight line ? Anshuman's AWD stayed on a straight line and Debuda's one as well.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:15   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feel like doing to the service center folks.
You should escalate this issue either with the service center or with Mahindra itself.
This kind of negligence could lead to serious accidents .
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 08:14   #358
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Drive report from Team-BHP drive and meet on Sunday 28th April 2013:

The Duma hadn't stretched its legs for quite a few months now. So when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped onto it and confirmed myself for the TBHP drive on NH8.

Just like you feel your body sagging after skipping the gym for a few months, I felt some sort of inertia ..some sort of holding back in the vehicle. To be honest, I felt it in myself as well. After a few months gap, I felt my responses were sluggish and steering judgment bordering on 'poor'. The heavy truck traffic made the situation worse.

But all was not lost. More than 50kms in the drive, we both got our grooves back, responses quickened and steering confidence improved a few notches. Needless to say, the low-flying 328i (karan561), S4 (speedy), Evo6 (i<3turbo) and City (balenopower) were providing all the "inspiration" in terms of how to drive well even in thick traffic. While I was labouring in 3rd or 4th gear behind a slowpoke wall of trucks, these guys used to find a miniscule gap, move laterally and then quickly vanish in the horizon! Amazing.

Did decent spurts with speeds of 110-120 on the way to Parsi Da Dhaba. The vehicle was light, just me and my son and no luggage. But the ride was significantly better at high speeds. It just glides.

Return journey was better. Traffic was significantly lesser and the Ninja250R and Fireblade gave tantalizing company for some time. This time, I was more confident and pushed the XUV harder.. even to 3500+ rpm a few times. Speeds slowly climbed, but the vehicle was planted, no steering/gearstick vibration either. Drove safe and did not test my limits and the car's limits. A hippo can not be as agile as the gazelle . Still took the turns faster than I would generally have..and boy, was it fun! On straights, what's interesting was the feeling that there were still quite a few horses which were not unleashed. Reinforced my respect for the XUV. Leaving some power in the reserve for a emergency maneuver is a good idea anyways.

Overall a fun-filled adrenaline-pumping drive!

Last edited by SDP : 30th April 2013 at 08:34.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 08:22   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I too got such a screw driver from my Alto after a repair at Indus Motors' Kalamssery Workshop in Kochi. What can not be digested was their lightest approach when informed.
I noticed some mild knocking sound like some loose mounting and located to the screw driver head shaking and hitting while the engine starts. Was exactly in the same location as in SDP's case.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 08:37   #360
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
You should escalate this issue either with the service center or with Mahindra itself.
This kind of negligence could lead to serious accidents .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I too got such a screw driver from my Alto after a repair at Indus Motors' Kalamssery Workshop in Kochi. What can not be digested was their lightest approach when informed.
I noticed some mild knocking sound like some loose mounting and located to the screw driver head shaking and hitting while the engine starts. Was exactly in the same location as in SDP's case.
I am going to escalate it to customer-care. But somehow I have a feeling that when the message reaches the service-center they would just laugh off the incident and may be just ask me to return the screwdriver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks