Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 11:03   #391
rlg
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
the steering has started to wobble a bit at 100-110kmph.
SDP,

Did they solve this ? I have the same issue at ~110kmph.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:35   #392
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
SDP,

Did they solve this ? I have the same issue at ~110kmph.
Yes, they did over the weekend and charged me ~800 Rs for the wheel-balancing and weights. If they would have told me that this is a wheel-balancing issue, I would have gotten it done from outside at a more professional setup suggested by fellow BHPian Karan.

Tested the vehicle on Sunday morning. Pushed it all the way to just before the point where you hear the speed-warning-chime. No issues now. Perfectly stable. No wobbles or vibrations on the steering.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 19:38   #393
BHPian

Quote:
The only logical thing I can think of is the distance between the 2 mirrors and the location of the switch. Maybe there is a delay in the signal to reach the farther mirror which might cause it to closer later. You can time the closing time for each mirror individually, could be they take the exact same time, but the other mirror might start moving later which causes the difference!
Unsure, but it could be based on something that I learned during my computer hardware days. Usually all electronic signals travel based on priority. So for instance if the right ORVM has a higher priority over the left...then it starts to close first. Of course, the signals travel at very high speed so that should cause the mirrors to close at once, but perhaps, the elctronic delay gets translated into a more visible or apparent delay when the motor actuation occurs. So you get to see the mirrors closing one after the other. Again, this is just a theory and I could be completely off the mark.
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 09:53   #394
SDP
Team-BHP Support

After the recent tyre-rotation, got the "RR tyre swapped" messgae on the screen thrice till now. Each time, it appeared randomly when the car was in motion and doing good speed ..80+. It was funny to see the message while the car was in motion. Reminded me of those Saudi videos where they change the tyre while the car is running.
Old 16th June 2013, 20:07   #395
BHPian

Quote:
After the recent tyre-rotation,
SDP, I'm getting an alert from TPMS saying that the spare wheel has low pressure. Quite likely because I have never filled air in that. Do you know if the nozzle faces the ground or it's on the other side, in which case it has to be lowered.
Old 16th June 2013, 20:29   #396
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
SDP, I'm getting an alert from TPMS saying that the spare wheel has low pressure. Quite likely because I have never filled air in that. Do you know if the nozzle faces the ground or it's on the other side, in which case it has to be lowered.
The spare alloy's inside is facing the ground. So the nozzle is facing upwards. So its kind of tricky (not impossible) to fill air in the spare without lowering it.
Old 19th June 2013, 21:06   #397
BHPian

Quote:
The spare alloy's inside is facing the ground. So the nozzle is facing upwards. So its kind of tricky (not impossible) to fill air in the spare without lowering it.
Got it done today at the Bridgestone shop. Easy as pie. Just lowered the wheel to the floor, checked the pressure, filled it up, and winched it back in place. Took no money either !!

TPMS alert has disappeared, so that's working quite well.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:51   #398
BHPian

Quote:
After the recent tyre-rotation, got the "RR tyre swapped" messgae on the screen thrice till now. Each time, it appeared randomly when the car was in motion and doing good speed ..80+. It was funny to see the message while the car was in motion. Reminded me of those Saudi videos where they change the tyre while the car is running.
I have been getting the FR tyre swapped message for the last 6 months i believe so. The Front left tyre was swapped with the spare once due to a puncture and it was replaced back after puncture was repaired. Had mentioned it to the RM's several times about this pop-up. The pop-up keeps coming even after software updates, relearning etc. And since this is one of those issues that cant be recreated and it pops up occasionally I couldnt find a way to show it to the service engineers except a photo of screen with the message. And after multiple assurances from the RM's that it wont come again, it still raises its head once in a while. So I have totally written it off my niggle list as it is not a showstopper as such.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 18:13   #399
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
...So I have totally written it off my niggle list as it is not a showstopper as such.

FundaG
Perfect! Its not worth wasting time and effort chasing these minor things.

I have resolved that I am not going to visit the service-center till something major stops working or gives indication of malfunction.
Old 24th June 2013, 10:02   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect! Its not worth wasting time and effort chasing these minor things.

I have resolved that I am not going to visit the service-center till something major stops working or gives indication of malfunction.
Came across this youtube video where a solution is provided for this issue. Have not tried it, but will give it a shot the next time the pop-up comes and see if it gets resolved.

FundaG

Last edited by Samurai : 26th June 2013 at 18:42. Reason: removed https
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 10:24   #401
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Came across this Youtube video where a solution is provided for this issue. Have not tried it, but will give it a shot the next time the pop-up comes and see if it gets resolved.

FundaG

Hey, that's very useful. Especially the TPMS acknowledgement part.

Let me keep an eye on the "RR tyre swapped" message myself.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:35   #402
SDP
Team-BHP Support

850kms over the weekend : Quick drive report

850kms over the weekend - Quick drive report

Dates: 22nd and 23rd July 2013

Distance covered: ~850kms

Route: Mumbai -> NH17-> Hathkhamba -> State highway to Ratnagiri
While coming back took a different route: Ratnagiri ->Hathkhamba -> Pali -> Sakharpa -> Kokrud -> Karad -> NH4 to Pune -> Expressway to Mumbai.

This trip came up after the Powai mini-meet planning started and I was not sure if I would be able to spend enough time at the meet. I did stayed back till the end. Reached home around 9:15pm. Dinner, packing, off to bed at 10:30pm. As always, could not sleep properly because of the long-drive planned in the early morning. Finally got up at 3:30am, got ready and the XUV started from Mumbai with me and my sister at 4:15am.

Almost after a year of ownership, I was taking the XUV on NH17 for the first time. I wasn't sure how well it would handle the numerous turns and curves of the NH17. One thing that I was sure was that overtaking is not going to be a problem.

The low beam of the XUV sucks and I mean big time. Was not able to see anything on the road. Light drizzle made the matters worse. The wipers were leaving a streak, may be because of an oily film on the windshield. After degogging the windshield and spraying it liberally, got it to a condition where I was decently comfortable with the visibility.

Barely 15kms from home, I am not even out of Navi Mumbai, and the dashboard lights up. Not one or two, but four malfunction lights! Hild-Hold-Control, Hill-Descent-Control, ABS and ESP . Its 4:30am, too early to call the RM and there was no point anyways. He would have asked to bring the vehicle to the service center. Should I continue or turn back, park and pick up the Alto? Was not very sure if the malfunction lights are actually indicating malfunction OR the malfunction-light itself had malfunctioned. All 4 functionalities are related to brakes. Are my brakes working at all? Tapped on the brake pedal a few times and everything was normal. Brought the vehicle to a complete stop by the side of the road. No issues in stopping. Turned the car off completely, waited for 10 seconds and started again with fingers crossed. No luck, the lights glowed again. HHC and HDC, I can live without them. ABS and ESP, I wanted those, especially on a highway that I have not taken with this vehicle before. Decided to drive more cautiously so that the need for ABS or ESP does not arise at all. Proceeded with caution.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img00330201306241245.jpg

5:45am: reached Vadkhal naka. Missed a couple of potholes because of limited visibility, but no serious issues. The section till Mangaon, which is getting widened is a maze with you continuously alterting between the left side of the road and the right side of the road. Some section are smooth, some are broken. The diversion points are all in bad shape, potholes, loose gravel and occasional mild slush. The XUV handled it well except one thud where I missed a small speed-breaker completely.

The visibility and road condition improved significantly with sunrise and we made quick progress. Tried to find a open hotel on Mangaon for tea, but nothing was open at that hour.

Just before Mahad, saw a good waterfall and took a 5 minute break. The XUV was all dirty by this time.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0562.jpg

7:00am: Reached Mahad. Kamath's appeared closed. Asked the security guy and he said, he is just opening the gate. Quick breakfast and back on road at 7:25ish.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0572.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0575.jpg

The ghats started. The XUV was pulling really well even in 3rd gear on some slopes. You don't 'feel' the speed in this car and I was possibly driving some 10kmph more than required. On some curves and sharp-turns, realized that the XUV does have body-roll if you don't know what speeds to maintain on what type of roads. Slowed down a bit and things returned to normal. Had a effortless drive thoughout.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0631.jpg

"Got BHP?" Oh, yes and definitely "Live to Drive" :-)
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0642.jpg

Reached Ratnagiri at 11am. Called up wifey and my parents. Both were surprised by the time taken. Assured them that I was not speeding (which is true) and the sparse traffic was the reason for <7 hours time.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0711.jpg

The XUV parked at my native place (after cleaning on Sunday morning).
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0978.jpg

Please excuse the dirty alloys. There was no point cleaning them when I was about to start a 475km drive.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0979.jpg

Next day came back by a different route and heard the ting-ting for the first time on the expressway. Did that consciously on a straight stretch of the expressway, just to experience the ting-ting once. The ting-ting sound is loud, no way you or the passengers can miss it. Noticed again that the ride improves significantly with load and speed. Put 4 people and their luggage in the car and drive at 80+ and the car just glides.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0985.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1057.jpg

Overall had good fun. Did not feel fatigued at all. Did not get a headache or back-pain (I get that on NH17 otherwise). Felt the sheer power of the beast. Overtaking any normal vehicle on the highway is a breeze. Even in 6th gear, tap on the accelerator and there is still enough juice to overtake a car or a MUV.

Somewhere in Amba ghat during the return journey.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1116.jpg

The malfunctioning lights was the only fly in the ointment. Getting that fixed today.

Last edited by SDP : 26th June 2013 at 18:51.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:54   #403
Senior - BHPian

wonderful updates. So what is the updates on those error lights for ABS and EBD.

And did you changed the tyres from Stock?
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 19:01   #404
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wonderful updates. So what is the updates on those error lights for ABS and EBD.

And did you changed the tyres from Stock?
There is a wire either cut or chewed by a rat in the wheel-well. The car has gone for the repairs today. Would be getting it back tomorrow.

The tyres are stock. After 1 year and ~12000kms, they seem to be holding really well. Definitely good for another 20,000kms at least.
Old 27th June 2013, 07:29   #405
BHPian

Re: The D Day

"The Odo was showing 65kms. The demo guy did some magic and reset the odo to Zero"

What? Can this be done? Isn't it illegal in India? It is totally illegal in US/Canada.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks