Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 09:10   #406
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: The D Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
"The Odo was showing 65kms. The demo guy did some magic and reset the odo to Zero"

What? Can this be done? Isn't it illegal in India? It is totally illegal in US/Canada.
Before the XUV clocks 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times. The service center did it in front of me, so not an ethical issue. Not sure about the legality of it though.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:39   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Before the XUV clocks 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times. The service center did it in front of me, so not an ethical issue. Not sure about the legality of it though.
Whoa! Thats something new to me. Is it only with the XUV or all of them?

At the end of half a week or 249Kms, go to the service station and reset the ODO to '0'. Do that pereodicially and you have a car that is run 0Kms after a year as well! *lol*
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 09:47   #408
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post

At the end of half a week or 249Kms, go to the service station and reset the ODO to '0'. Do that pereodicially and you have a car that is run 0Kms after a year as well! *lol*
There is a confusion, because of my poor English!

Let me rephrase:
Original statement: Before the XUV clocks 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times.

New statement: Before the XUV clocks its first 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times.

So let's say the dealer drives the vehicle for registration and clocks 150kms on it. It can be reset to zero.
Then again assume that the vehicle is driven another 50kms from yard to the showroom. Now the ODO shows 50, but actually the distance covered is 200kms. You can still reset the odo and you do it. Odo reading zero. Now imagine the dealer decides to take the car for a 100kms joyride. 200+100.. that's beyond 250kms. So when the vehicle comes back from the joyride, the ODO would show 100, but it can no longer be reset.

Hope that clarifies. I don't think its a scam. I believe its a misconceived feature by which M&M wanted to reduce the tension some of the customers get after seeing their brand new rides at the time of delivery with a couple of hundred kms already on the ODO.

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2013 at 09:57.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 10:06   #409
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
There is a confusion, because of my poor English!

Let me rephrase:
Original statement: Before the XUV clocks 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times.

New statement: Before the XUV clocks its first 250kms, the ODO can be reset a few times.

I thought this resetting the ODO before 250kms can be done only once. Or else will this not be misused as the dealer can drive the car around for sometime till delivery and keep resetting the ODO.

FundaG
Old 27th June 2013, 10:20   #410
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
...Let me rephrase:

So let's say the dealer drives the vehicle for registration and clocks 150kms on it. It can be reset to zero.
Then again assume that the vehicle is driven another 50kms from yard to the showroom. Now the ODO shows 50, but actually the distance covered is 200kms. You can still reset the odo and you do it. Odo reading zero. Now imagine the dealer decides to take the car for a 100kms joyride. 200+100.. that's beyond 250kms. So when the vehicle comes back from the joyride, the ODO would show 100, but it can no longer be reset.

Hope that clarifies. I don't think its a scam. I believe its a misconceived feature by which M&M wanted to reduce the tension some of the customers get after seeing their brand new rides at the time of delivery with a couple of hundred kms already on the ODO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I thought this resetting the ODO before 250kms can be done only once. Or else will this not be misused as the dealer can drive the car around for sometime till delivery and keep resetting the ODO.

FundaG
FundaG, did a quick search on niggles thread and found this post from debuda which talks about him taking this up with customer-care and they confirming that ODO can be reset TWICE till 250kms EACH. So seems like overall the dealer can make 500kms vanish from a XUV before the customer gets delivery.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2948614
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 20:48   #411
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Running repairs 26th June 2013

Sent the vehicle for getting the repairs done for the 4 malfunction lights (HHC, HDC, ABS and ESP)

The RM called me and said that the wires are cut right next to the ends and can not be patched up. Replacement needed. Since the cause is rat-bite (as claimed by the service-center), the warranty would not cover it.

Got the vehicle back today. Problem fixed. Total bill Rs. 3,358!

FLH wheel speed sensor assembly (2 pieces) -> 2,226 Rs
Wheel speed sensor R&R labour -> 157 Rs
Vehicle diagnostic by special tools -> 975 Rs

I called up the RM about the last labour charge for "Vehicle diagnostic by special tools".

Me: "Based on the symptoms you were able to tell me that most likely the wires on left-front side are chewed by a rat. So when you know the cause, what's the dignostic charge for? Shouldn't any special diagnostic be used when you don't know the cause and are trying to find it out?"

He : "Unless you plug in the computer and look at the error codes, you can not be sure about which sensors are not getting any data."

Me: "So for plugging in a standard laptop with diagnostic s/w loaded on it you are charging me 850 + taxes as labour. The actual sensor assembly costs 990 + taxes a piece. Don't you think the labour charges are on the higher side?"

He: "These are standard charges. In fact we are not charging for removing the wheel and other parts to access this area."

I told him that I am not convinced and would take it up with customer care.

Any opinions? Do you think I am being taken for a ride OR is this normal?

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2013 at 20:51.
Old 27th June 2013, 21:03   #412
BHPian

Re: Running repairs 26th June 2013

Quote:

SDP bhai, congrats on the ride; I enjoyed the good write-up. And as I've seen the car in person I know you maintain it in top condition.

Regarding the charge for diagnostics, it's very sad that a lot of manufacturers do this. At the Skoda A.S.S. they charged me Rs. 750 + tax just to tell me that the motor for lumbar support adjustment in the driver's seat wasn't working (WHICH I ALREADY KNEW!!) and that it had to be replaced.

I had even gone to an independent garage guy once who used the VAG-COM to clear some error code related to the airbag. He did not charge me for it, but he did say that he charged Rs. 600 normally for a check-up. On asking why, he told me that the instrument is quite expensive and that it was how he could recover the cost of it.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 21:09   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Not sure about Mahindra, Skoda does charge even higher for just plugging in their laptop. Anyways please do write/talk to Mahindra customer care to make sure the dealer is not taking you for a ride. Also ask them for their labor charges sheet.

XUV 500 is going to be an expensive to maintain vehicle post warranty. One example are those LED parking lamps, if they go bust(they do go bust!) the whole Headlamp assembly has to be changed, HL assembly costs 7600 Rupees a piece(+labour + Taxes + lots of your time) and what if they decide to use their special diagnostic tool. What if Navigation stops working, they might advise to replace the whole infotainment system(i dont know how much it costs!).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 21:15   #414
BHPian

Quote:

Sent the vehicle for getting the repairs done for the 4 malfunction lights (HHC, HDC, ABS and ESP)

I had the same problem. Was charged NOTHING.
I asked my SA what caused the problem and he said that the wire frayed/ cut. How did that happen? He said no idea. I did not suspect rats since we don't have them in our compound in Manipal. Just prior to that I had returned from Goa where the car had got stuck in the sand ( ) and some work had to be done at the dealer in Goa. Mentally I just put it down to that episode.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 00:09   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think Mahindra's charges particularly with this car is on the higher side. Recently I was out on a long drive and somewhere near Siliguri the vehicle lost its left ORVM. I had to change it at Malda. It costed me over 9500 bucks. Of that more than a thousand was the labor to fix the ORVM. Of course the cost of a mirror itself is high.

This is going to be a costly vehicle to maintain for sure.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th June 2013 at 00:13.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:14   #416
BHPian

Quote:

The RM called me and said that the wires are cut right next to the ends and can not be patched up. Replacement needed. Since the cause is rat-bite (as claimed by the service-center), the warranty would not cover it.

My wires were also chewed by the rats and it was resolved free of cost. Again this could be because there was no change in sensor and only the wires were patched up. As it took 3-4 running repair visits to get it solved, the service centre had connected the laptop to check out if the sensors were working properly as well as for any error codes multiple times. But was never charged for any of these.

I can understand an external service centre charging for such diagnostics considering they would have to invest on the instruments and maybe the softwares. But with mahindra service centres these should be part of the service and warranty package. Else they should also charge for using their hydraulic or electric jack for lifting the car, their spanner etc. Believe running the diagnostic tool would be the most effortless physically of the lot.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:22   #417
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:

He: "These are standard charges. In fact we are not charging for removing the wheel and other parts to access this area."

I told him that I am not convinced and would take it up with customer care.
For a couple of times I had the Check Engine light blinking. The reason, the knock sensor wire had been cut off. The SA said that they would have to check it with the laptop. They repaired the wire and was charger some Rs/ 450. That included Labour + material(wire and tape). AFAIK, was not charged for the diagnosis. You also have an alto, were you charged for anything like this by MSIL anytime?

Atleast, put forward a mail.

Quote:
My wires were also chewed by the rats and it was resolved free of cost. Again this could be because there was no change in sensor and only the wires were patched up.
I was charged even for the cello-tape that they used to patch up the wire. Who says Maruti is cheap!

Quote:
I can understand an external service centre charging for such diagnostics considering they would have to invest on the instruments and maybe the softwares. But with mahindra service centres these should be part of the service and warranty package. Else they should also charge for using their hydraulic or electric jack for lifting the car, their spanner etc. Believe running the diagnostic tool would be the most effortless physically of the lot.
Exactly!
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:32   #418
BHPian

I didn't get to see this "Diagnostic Charges" earlier with older vehicles. Diagnostics is part of the job. You don't charge for putting on your thinking hat. In this case it was not the chip in their brain, but a chip elsewhere that did the job.
I don't wish to see "Mechanic coming to service center charge" in the near future.
And the SA charging "Talking time with customer charge".

From the varied experiences here, it appears as if this is at the SC discretion. Perhaps a good rapport with the RM would help these 'creative' line items in the invoice.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:37   #419
BHPian

Quote:

This is expensive !
When my car's crank sensor had failed I got a new one from outside and told my mechanic to fix it.
Since it was not calibrated properly the car would stall if I leave the accelerator pedal.
Somehow I managed to take it to the Chevrolet A.S.S

They charged me Rs. 350 to connect their laptop and calibrate the new sensor and also remove the error codes for the check engine light which was glowing.

Btw, how many years/kms is the standard warranty on the xuv5OO ? Do u have any extended warranty?
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:05   #420
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Guys, thanks alot for all your views and sharing experiences from various manufacturers.

I have paid in the morning and was about to take up the matter with the customer-care for high labour charges for a seemingly simple thing. Then there is a new twist in the tale.

When I started for work, I found the old sensor assemblies (which were replaced) in the 3rd row. Had a quick look at them and the cut in the rubber seemed like a clean-cut and not from a rat-bite. Again, I am no expert in rat-bites or material properties, just felt it that way based on common-sense. Will upload a picture tomorrow for additional opinions.

If the sensor-wires have been sheared off due to coming in contact with some moving part and not because of a rat issue, there is a case for the damage being covered under warranty.

Last edited by SDP : 28th June 2013 at 14:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks