Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 13:28   #31
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Congrats SDP on the purchase .

I pray to God that you have a niggle free experience with the "Duma"

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Congrats for the Duma, I love this color
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear your "Duma" coming home. Must be a very nice feeling indeed to be perched on a SUV and have a commanding view of the surroundings. Top it all its in the sweet red shade, a sure head turner.

On a lighter note, started reading your report and came across the title with "Duma" in it. The first thing that came to mind was it being named as the 'big one'. Duma (more so Dumma) in our local lingo means the rotound / plump one more often called in a friendly gesture by one's acquaintance or close pals. I have been called one all along so its ingrained in my grey cells.

But all this in jest and yes your inference of its meaning stands as a perfect tribute to this whiskered beast. Happy driving and keep us posted!

Last edited by girishglg : 12th July 2012 at 13:50.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:07   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The Financial Equation:

The Financial Equation:

Quotation from Dealer:
Cost of one XUV W8 FWD : Rs 12,96,270/- (11,52,240 as basic cost + 1,44,030 as VAT)
RTO and Registration Charges: CRTM: Rs 1,61,052/-
Insurance (1 year comprehensive): Rs 46,697/-
Total : 15,04,019/-
------------------------------------------------------------------

What I actually paid:
Ex-Showroom for XUV5OO W8 FWD -> Rs 12,96,270
RTO - Life Time Tax -> Rs 1,55,553
RTO - Registration & misc charges -> Rs 550
Dealer - Registration and Handling charges -> Rs 4,949
Insurance (zero-dep, bumper-to-bumper) -> Rs 40,000
Choice-number charges -> Rs 15,000
Choice-Number RTO agent charges -> Rs 1,000
Accessories -> Rs 6,100 (Floor mats 3000, Reverse Camera 3100)
Affidavit charges -> Rs 270
Total -> Rs 15,19,692
------------------------------------------------------------------

Questioned the dealer about the handling charges being too high. He gave me some stories. I argued that unless you send a scientist for standing in 2 queues for the RTO payment and showing the vehicle to the inspector, almost 5000 Rs for half a day of manual work sounds too high .
Finally, he has agreed to knock off Rs 2200 from the handling charges. Yet to receive the refund.

Last edited by SDP : 12th July 2012 at 14:14.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:33   #35
BHPian

Congrats SDP on your "Duma". Loved the shade. Infact don't think I've seen too many of this shade on road. I'm sure this looks much better in real than pics.

Hope you have a trouble free ownership for a long long time

Next stop -travelogues eh?
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Congratulations... Duma really looks good in the colour.

Excellent report. Loved it. I'm planning to book an XUV W8 tomorrow.

Did you correct the fuel lid opener issue??
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 15:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the "Duma"! I like the exterior and interior colour combo. Suits well. Please do post detailed interior pictures as well.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 17:35   #38
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Congratulation!! Neat write up, wishing you happy and trouble free mile ahead.
Thanks ecenandu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Congratulations SDP. Excellent writeup and nice pictures.
Was expecting some pictures of the interiors also.
Wish you a very happy and trouble free ride.
Thanks Sommos. More pics coming up this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
SDP, congratulations on buying the Cheetah!
It's a killer in Red. Get some more pictures of the interiors, night shots with interiors light, space for 3rd row, mileage that you got on the first drive from Pune.
Here's wishing you miles of happiness with the new buy.
Thanks gauravdgr8. Got 15.1kmpl on the expressway. Will try to click and update the pics that you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on the purchase SDP. Apart from the interior plastics and a few gizmos giving up now and then, there is really little to find fault with the XUV, as a complete family package for the city and the highway. I had the chance to drive one of them on the BIRC recently and was blown away by its handling, in spite of being a soft roader.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Bang on Devnath! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Congratulations SDP.
The beast looks killer in the red shade. I must say monsoon will be a very good time to take this fantastic beast out on long drives in the beautiful western ghats.
So do we see it leaping past the SEEPZ gate anytime soon?
Also, do you plan to service it within Mumbai or will it go to Pune everytime?
Thanks Trek! Have initiated a RM change so that my vehicle gets serviced from Thane Global Galarie. At least a couple of outings planned for this monsoon season :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats SDP for the Duma and thank you for a very well written report.
Wishing you a long and niggle free ownership.
By the way did you sell the Alto? Just curious to know what deal did you get for it?
Thanks amitwlele! We are keeping the Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Congrats SDP on the purchase .
I pray to God that you have a niggle free experience with the "Duma"
-- Wind
Thanks for the kind words, Wind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Congrats for the Duma, I love this color
Same here! Thanks, rkbharat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Great to hear your "Duma" coming home. Must be a very nice feeling indeed to be perched on a SUV and have a commanding view of the surroundings. Top it all its in the sweet red shade, a sure head turner.

On a lighter note, started reading your report and came across the title with "Duma" in it. The first thing that came to mind was it being named as the 'big one'. Duma (more so Dumma) in our local lingo means the rotound / plump one more often called in a friendly gesture by one's acquaintance or close pals. I have been called one all along so its ingrained in my grey cells.

But all this in jest and yes your inference of its meaning stands as a perfect tribute to this whiskered beast. Happy driving and keep us posted!
Thanks for that additional interpretation of the word Duma! That's really interesting. Sounds equivalent to Golu or Motu in hindi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats SDP on your "Duma". Loved the shade. Infact don't think I've seen too many of this shade on road. I'm sure this looks much better in real than pics.
Hope you have a trouble free ownership for a long long time
Next stop -travelogues eh?
Thanks. Even I have hardly seen a red one on the road. The red in XUV print-ads is not the actual shade. The print-ads and wallpapers show a shade similar to that in Vento. But the actual shade is closer to the Habanero Red that you get in the All New Honda City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Congratulations... Duma really looks good in the colour.
Excellent report. Loved it. I'm planning to book an XUV W8 tomorrow.
Did you correct the fuel lid opener issue??
Thanks Vasuki! Have not got the fuel-lid button issue rectified yet. Planning to drive for another 1-2 weeks (and note down any other issues) before taking it to the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congratulations on the "Duma"! I like the exterior and interior colour combo. Suits well. Please do post detailed interior pictures as well.
Cheers
Thanks MC! How have you been?
Even I like the interior (red&brown) & exterior (red) combo. The same interior would most likely look good in the deep-purple exterior shade as well.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2012 at 20:39. Reason: Quoted post deleted
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 18:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: The D Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The Odo was showing 65kms. The demo guy did some magic and reset the odo to Zero.
congrats on your ride. Its nice to see another XUV on TBHP.

What is shocking is that your sales rep / technician could reset your ODO. .

they were true in your case, but what worries me is if the Odo can be reset at a dealership, there is a very good chance of manipulating the ODO.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 20:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
congrats on your ride. Its nice to see another XUV on TBHP.
What is shocking is that your sales rep / technician could reset your ODO. .
they were true in your case, but what worries me is if the Odo can be reset at a dealership, there is a very good chance of manipulating the ODO.
The Odometer of all XUVs can be reset only once within the first 250 kms. Maybe M&M implemented this feature so the all owners will have 0 kms displayed on the Odo at the time of delivery. ( I do not know if this is a regular feature in high end cars )
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 21:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
The Odometer of all XUVs can be reset only once within the first 250 kms. Maybe M&M implemented this feature so the all owners will have 0 kms displayed on the Odo at the time of delivery. ( I do not know if this is a regular feature in high end cars )
Wow Wow !! This is seriously a flaw. M&M must fire the person who suggested and implemented this feature.

This gives the dealer an oppurtunity to drive the vehicles for 250 kms and then pass it on to an unsuspecting customer. In a place like ours, where every oppurtunity is taken to exploit the consumer, M&M would have done good NOT to provide this feature.

God save the customers from unethical dealers.

If I take delivery of my XUV, i must insist that the ODO must "NOT" be reset before i approve it and must be done in front of my eye, else i reject delivery.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th July 2012 at 21:42.
Old 13th July 2012, 08:07   #42
BHPian

Congrats on the DUMA. Looks smashing in the Red. Your review is excellent, simple, straight from the heart and the family certainly looks justifiably proud.
Few questions
Did you feel any difference in the various XUVs that you test drove over period of time since its launch to the Duma, in terms of various improvements in gearshift, clutch hardness and brakes?
The cost breakup you gave was really honest sharing in the forum, not many do it. Was anything additional asked by dealer to speed up the delivery?
Wish you many happy motoring miles in the DUMA!!!!
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 08:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations SDP for possesing the beast. The muscular curves of the XUV look more vibrant in this colour, in other words, your DUMA looks super cool.
Excellent write-up with all the required details and great pictures. Congrats once again.
Take care and drive safe!
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 17:42   #44
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Dealership Experience

Dealership Experience:

I picked up a particular dealer in Bhosri as it was closer and I wanted to avoid getting into the Pune main city. Here's my experience with the dealer.

SA - The SA was completely clueless and could not get anything done in one-shot. Needed follow-ups and detailed instructions for getting things done. Score -> 3/10

Sales Manager - The Sales Manager was very good and was able to help me and guide me in a lot of areas. Score -> 8/10

Showroom location and ambience - The showroom is conveniently located on the Pune-Nashik highway and has half the area dedicated only for XUV5OO (with a separate restroom). Score -> 8/10

Dealer attitude (Should not try to push too much for their auto-loan, insurance, accessories etc.) - Did not try to sell me anything other than the car. Score -> 9/10

Dealer Personal Attention (Should make the customer feel special during the delivery) - The unveiling, key handover and puja arranged by the dealer was good. Made us feel nice. The setup was congested though. Score -> 7/10

Dealer honesty (Should not try to cheat the customer) - When I pointed out the difference between the RTO receipts and what I had paid for 'RTO and handling charges', the SA gave me a receipt of 2750 Rs. I told him that there is still a difference of around 2000 Rs. Then he gave me another corrected receipt for 4750 Rs. I got furious and dragged him to the sales-manager. Got him to agree to refund the difference. Score -> 1/10

Dealer attitude (Should take care of your car while in their possession) - This is where the dealership sucks. I had called up and told the sales-manager very clearly that my vehicle should be taken cared off really well. The vehicle should remain in the yard. It should not leave the yard except for registration. No test-drives or joy-rides using my vehicle. In the yard, the vehicle had 18km on the odo. After the registration, I called up the SA and he told me that the vehicle is at the dealership ready for delivery. I asked him to check the odo-reading and he came back mentioning 44kms. When we went to take the delivery, the odo had 65kms. I asked them about the difference and was told that the vehicle had gone to the workshop for cleaning and reverse-camera fitting. The sales-manager scolded the SA that if the reverse-camera was not in working condition, he should have checked beforehand rather than sending the vehicle for a useless trip. What I noticed was most likely during this trip to the workshop, the vehicle got 2 minor scratches and 2 mini dings . There were a few swirl-marks as well on one panel. Took the SA and the sales-manager to task, and the sales-manager have promised that he would fix-up a date and get the dings and scratches fixed in a day. He also took photos for getting a time-estimate from the work-shop. Score on this parameter - 0/10

Final score for the dealer -> 5/10

Last edited by SDP : 13th July 2012 at 17:56.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 19:14   #45
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A few interior shots

A few interior shots:
The main dashboard
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1083.jpg

The lord
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1077.jpg

The steering
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1081.jpg

The gear-shift
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1067.jpg

The main controls for ICE
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1066.jpg

The ACC controls
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_1065.jpg

--------------------------------------------
I like the black and brown interior combination much better than the beige and purple (available with While and Black exterior colours). Would put up side-by-side shots of the 2 interior color schemes one of these days.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed