Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:47   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Now thats very good news and prompt action taken by the Customer Care team! All the sweat and grime from your Sunday exercise paid off!!
Maverick5490 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:18   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Hello SDP,

That is really great of Mahindra Service Center to accept it's mistake & give you fund refund of the incorrect charge that to delivered at your door. Finally your persistance & hard work (probing & analysis) paid off.

Going forward I feel Mahindra is really serious about XUV 5OO & acceptances like these show how committed they are to improve word of mouth publicity.

Couple of days back I was reading this article in Economic Times about how Mahindra is building is engineering strength as leading Indian Auto Maker - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20868665.cms

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:59   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

That's exactly how you change a horrible experience to a positive one. Your amazing analysis is the hero here. Without that, I doubt they would have given in. Add to that the TBHP link and they would have read the responses being posted here. Thanks to Mahindra not being a Skoda yet, they would have realized the harm this publicity of their incompetence to diagnose a simple thing was doing. With XUV sales figures already falling I suppose they didn't want this to spread any further.

But whatever be the reason, its heartening to see you got the money back! Hope Duma continues to serve you well in the future.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:14   #454
BHPian

Hi SDP

I recently started reading your ownership thread and have been fascinated by it. Your commitment to finding the root cause this time around was amazing. It was eminently clear that the damage was no rat bite and it was caused by the wire rubbing against something. Good to hear that the company accepted your claim and you got your money back. The whole arrangement of how the sensor is placed looks a little amateurish and 'asking for trouble' to me.
It will be good to know how it is managed in other cars. Any idea anyone?
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:19   #455
BHPian

Re: First impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I am no expert. So I won't be able to comment on finer aspects of ride quality, handling etc. Here are a layman's views:
I would disagree after seeing your thread. You can pretty much write the manual yourself! Superbly detailed thread!
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:51   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Final update:

Before noon, got a call from the customer-care-manager who mentioned that my analysis is correct and he has strongly taken up the malpractice/knowledge-gap with the service-center owner. He mentioned he would get into details like which mechanic did the job and what was reported from the shop-floor and the details about the charges. He promised that I would hear from the service-center GM by afternoon. The GM did call me in 30 minutes and mentioned that there has been some 'miscommunication' because of which the incident happened. I chose not to probe further and let it go. He promised that he would send the refund across to my home the next morning and collect the original invoice which they would need to cancel out transactions in their systems.

Today morning, 9am, a gentleman from the service center came to my home and returned the full amount I had paid for the job! Not a penny more, not a penny less!

PS: Extremely happy with the support provided by the customer-care-manager!
Reading the final outcome actually gave me goosebumps. It was like a well earned victory not just for your but for all of us XUV owners. You just nailed them with your analysis giving them no chance to come up with another justification. You rock man !!!

Getting such repairs done for free is something, but getting the entire payment refunded at such short notice is much more, especially in India.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:44   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning, 9am, a gentleman from the service center came to my home and returned the full amount I had paid for the job! Not a penny more, not a penny less!
Congratulations Sanjay for persisting with the refund. Glad to know that someone in Mahindra was courageous enough to accept the mistake and arrange the compensations.

I guess you are now a marked man in the workshop and people there are not going to assume things when it comes to your Duma's servicing.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:45   #458
BHPian

This thread is as interesting as the reason behind your vehicle's name. You miss reading the thread for a couple of days and you definitely miss some very important piece of information. SDP, hat's off to you for your tenacity to resolve and reach the root cause of the issue rather than let it go. Also, three cheers for Mahindra to have responded to your issue and resolve it almost 'instananeously'! Let's hope the other the car makers start doing the same thing.
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:05   #459
BHPian

Quote:

All's well that ends well. It is commendable on part of M&M that they had the decency to accept their mistake and refund the money to you quickly without any unnecessary dilly-dallying or arguments. It makes me feel good about owning a M&M product.

Needless to say, without your detailed technical analysis backed up by hard photographic evidence and Jaago Grahak Jaago attitude this matter would not have got resolved the way it did.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:14   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
The evidence you have gathered is so compelling that I am very confident that M&M will agree to a refund.
Hi SDP, I'm really happy that you got your refund. As you can see above, I had indicated in my earlier post that you would.

The reason I had felt you would get your refund after appealing to M&M is that in my interactions with the company, I find them willing to do things for XUV customers. Some dealers may still be stuck in an earlier era mindset, which is what your chappie seems to be, but after a wrap on the knuckles, he seems to be seeing the light of a new dawn.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:06   #461
BHPian

A thing or two to learn for car owners like me on tenacity and preseverance and for companies like Skoda and VW on customer care.
This applies to other facets of life too, where we just don't pursue things enough and are bogged down by either ours or someone else's "Chalta Hai" attitude.
It's often the inactivity of good people rather than the activity of bad, which spoils the society.

Kudos once again!!
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:46   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find them willing to do things for XUV customers
SDP,

Good analysis backed with evidence. That is why M&M has taken the original invoice and the parts away. Good thing is your monies are paid back to you!

As mentioned else where, I too purchased my second Scorpio purely for the A.S.C's positive customer service attitude. But the question is- How long does only that help, should not the product also be backed up by good quality & reliability?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 00:43   #463
Senior - BHPian

That is some cool investigation bro!

It is very unethical of the A.S.S. to try to fleece their customers like this. But at the end of the day, the customer care team of M&M more than made up for it. A full refund within 4 days of complaint! That is simple terrific. Kudos to M&M.

I have the XUV and touch wood, it has shown no issues till now. But GOD forbid, if some day it does try to behave hanky panky, I wont be much worried since I know that I have a good customer care team to take care of me.

That is the reason I have always believed - issues are not the major irritants in a car owner's life, it's the way these issues are tacked by the company that matters.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th July 2013 at 00:44.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 09:57   #464
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

With the episode behind me, a few more reflections:

1. I initially suspected the sensor-assemblies to be the root cause. So in a way, I was holding M&M responsible for apparently a design gap. (I have mentioned that on the niggles thread, I guess). After the analysis, I realize that none of the connectors/clips were broken. Also when I looked at and handled the sensor-assembly, it felt 'right'. You get a vibe when you see/handle cheap, clumsy, bad quality stuff. There was no such bad vibe from the sensor-assemblies. It looked sturdy with right quality of materials. Yes, it could have been shielded or could have used a braided design. But when I searched images on the net, found sensor-assemblies which look very similar to ones used in the XUV. So, if you ask me, I don't believe the sensor assemblies or the car was at fault which caused the ABS+ESP malfunction.

2. I do believe that the service center personnel should have done a better job in securing the sensor-assemblies, when the car went for service last time. They should have also paid attention this time, should have owned the mistake from last time and should not have tried to pass it off as a rat-bite.

3. Although I got the money back and I have mentioned 'should have been covered under warranty', in hindsight, I doubt its actually covered under warranty. I doubt M&M would pick up the tab for a mistake (i.e. incorrectly securing the sensor-assemblies) done by the service-center. I would let M&M and the service-center sort that out among themselves.

Last edited by SDP : 4th July 2013 at 10:18.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:48   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Although I got the money back and I have mentioned 'should have been covered under warranty', in hindsight, I doubt its actually covered under warranty. I doubt M&M would pick up the tab for a mistake (i.e. incorrectly securing the sensor-assemblies) done by the service-center. I would let M&M and the service-center sort that out among themselves.
I actually wish that M&M does not cover this under warranty and make the A.S.S. pay up for it and also give the A.S.S. some internal negative marking, so that they are more careful in the future about such mistakes and customers wont have to go through the pain of doing such analysis and mailing the customer care.

Think about it - it would have been so nice if the A.S.S. had directly owed up their mistake, given you a free repair and something also complimentary as a goodwill gesture for the trouble caused to you.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed