Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 10:35   #706
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and 1.12 Lakh kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Did you manage to do any monsoon or a decent long drive where you could put these Goodyears to good use by going a bit off the beaten track? How did they perform?
Not really, Sheel !
Its been barely 2-3 weeks. So it is office and back on a daily basis. Can't really call it a long drive, but the Chakan plant visit that happened on 13th OCT, managed to put in around 300kms on that weekend. No off-road, bad-road experience during those 300 odd kms, but got to experience high speed behaviour on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Here are some early observations:
  • The Michelins were noticeably silent than the Goodyears. But not to a deal-breaker level. The stock JKs were horrible and the noisiest I have experienced.
  • Grip is very good. Coming from almost bald tyres, the improvement in grip is quite nice.
  • Braking is fantastic. Just the other day, while coming back from work, I was behind a truck on highway and suddenly the truck came to a halt (apparently because he was cut-off by a auto). I was accelerating at that point of time, looking for a gap for overtaking the truck. With the truck coming to a complete stop, I had to abandon the overtaking plan. I braked hard and the XUV dropped speed without any sort of drama and came to a halt with a lot of gap left from the rear of the truck. Quite reassuring.
  • On Mum-Pune expressway, at unmentionable speeds, the XUV was giving a bit of "floating" feeling. The Michelin Lattitudes used to stick to the road much better and I never had that feeling in last 40k kms. Felt a bit nervous and backed off the accelerator pedal. A friend mentioned that as the tyres break-in, that floating feeling should go away. Let's see.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 10:43   #707
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and 1.12 Lakh kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
On Mum-Pune expressway, at unmentionable speeds, the XUV was giving a bit of "floating" feeling. The Michelin Lattitudes used to stick to the road much better and I never had that feeling in last 40k kms. Felt a bit nervous and backed off the accelerator pedal. A friend mentioned that as the tyres break-in, that floating feeling should go away. Let's see.
Of course the tires needs to bed-in but this is where a bit of handicap of AT's might be visible in your case, but rest assured, save for this scenario, the AT's will be very good and you won't miss the Latitudes.

One aspect which as of for now I am not really sure [in your case] would be tire noise. Because I mostly stick to sub 100 kmph speeds, it rarely bothers me, I am unsure as to how would they perform, but they having SA technology embedded should do good.

I have done 35,000 kms on my AT/SA's and they are almost good for another 35K, though I just might make a change to Yokohama G015 just for the heck of it .
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 15:30   #708
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Completed a 750kms round trip to Ratnagiri over the weekend. Took the treacherous (but shorter) NH17 (Mumbai-Goa) route instead of the route through Karad-Kokrud-Devdhe I have preffered since last couple of years. The road-widening work has caused havoc. The beautiful tree-cover is gone and now you get roasted through the entire journey. Hope the widening and straightening work makes this highway safe and reduces travel times.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20181110_125024__01.jpg

The new tyres managed the broken road sections quite well. The door-pad damping experiment also seems to have succeeded, with much less rattles on really bad roads. Missed a few potholes and one huge speedbreaker.
Have to do something about securing the subwoofer in the boot, which jumped almost a foot after the missed speedbreaker.

This was my parking spot for the weekend.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20181110_125933__01.jpg
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:18   #709
BHPian

Quote:
.... good deal on the Wranglers ...:

A closer look. Don't they look good?
Attachment 1805843
Nice! What pressure are you running your new tyres on? In this pic the flex is seems to be bit more than normal tyres.

Should one be running on a higher tyre pressure when using AT tyres on tarmac?
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 17:22   #710
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Nice! What pressure are you running your new tyres on? In this pic the flex is seems to be bit more than normal tyres.

Should one be running on a higher tyre pressure when using AT tyres on tarmac?
Running on 32psi all around. Manufacturer recommends 30psi for front and 32 for rear (or vice versa... don't recall exactly).

I don't believe AT tyres should be filled with higher pressure.

Last edited by SDP : 13th November 2018 at 19:21.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:32   #711
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Diwali vacation to kid's school. So took daughter for a small stroll and captured this today morning.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20181115_080728__01.jpg

SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:28   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, Sheel !
Its been barely 2-3 weeks. So it is office and back on a daily basis. Can't really call it a long drive, but the Chakan plant visit that happened on 13th OCT, managed to put in around 300kms on that weekend. No off-road, bad-road experience during those 300 odd kms, but got to experience high speed behaviour on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Here are some early observations:
  • The Michelins were noticeably silent than the Goodyears. But not to a deal-breaker level. The stock JKs were horrible and the noisiest I have experienced.
  • Grip is very good. Coming from almost bald tyres, the improvement in grip is quite nice.
  • Braking is fantastic. Just the other day, while coming back from work, I was behind a truck on highway and suddenly the truck came to a halt (apparently because he was cut-off by a auto). I was accelerating at that point of time, looking for a gap for overtaking the truck. With the truck coming to a complete stop, I had to abandon the overtaking plan. I braked hard and the XUV dropped speed without any sort of drama and came to a halt with a lot of gap left from the rear of the truck. Quite reassuring.
  • On Mum-Pune expressway, at unmentionable speeds, the XUV was giving a bit of "floating" feeling. The Michelin Lattitudes used to stick to the road much better and I never had that feeling in last 40k kms. Felt a bit nervous and backed off the accelerator pedal. A friend mentioned that as the tyres break-in, that floating feeling should go away. Let's see.
I had a similar experience. Moving from the stock JK's to the the Michelins are definitely a strong upgrade. Smoother ride, better grip and less road noise. Unfortunately, my JK's wore down at around 55k and i had to replace them last year.. Now at 68K on the W8 FWD and have hit a bump with a small puncture that has come up right beside an older one. the tyre mechanic says that we cant do much and will have to replace the tyre or keep filling air every 5-6 days :(. Anyone have any solutions?
if not am planning to get the tyre replaced in the next few weeks by shelling out the 12/13K.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:16   #713
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and 1.12 Lakh kms

30-Jun-2022

Duma completed 10 years with me today.
The odo is at 1,13,000 kms and the XUV is doing great !

10 years ago ...same day.
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0846.jpg

Today
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20220630_104512.jpg

SDP is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:35   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and 1.12 Lakh kms

Quote:
30-Jun-2022

Duma completed 10 years with me today.
The odo is at 1,13,000 kms and the XUV is doing great !

10 years ago ...same day.
Attachment 2327523

Today
Attachment 2327522

Congratulations!

The car, the owner and the owner's shirt still look the same after all these years
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks