Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 13:38   #301
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi SDP, its good that you are doing all these FE tests & updating us on the results. However I would suggest don't get too much bogged down by the FE & enjoy your ride. A 0.5 to 1.0 kmpl FE variations here & there is not going to make much of a difference. Driving in city's stop-go traffic, then short trips within the city, takes a heavy toll on the FE.

The XUV has so many other good attributes, which you can harp on & enjoy. It is a highway scorcher, nothing else in that segment can come close. So try to hit the highway more often & you will forget all that is worrisome @ the XUV (just my 2 cents).
Very good point AutoIndian! Thanks!
In fact, I was going to put a disclaimer on my last post, but eventually forgot. So here it is:

"I am keeping an eye on the FE because of following 2 reasons:
1. I have no previous experience with driving a diesel vehicle. A decent FE sort of implies that the vehicle is being driven correctly. A low FE in that case could mean that I am possibly causing long term damage to the car because of my driving style.

2. XUV5OO is a new vehicle which has seen a good number of niggles since its launch. There are design issues as well as manufacturing issues. So, is there a possbility that may be XUV5OO is not designed to extract the best FE possible? Also, is there a possibility that MY copy of the XUV5OO has a manufacturing issue because of which the FE is on the lower side? My answer to both these question is - yes, it is a possibility."

Tracking the FE is an exercise into figuring out if there is anything wrong with the vehicle or my driving style.

My 8 year old Alto used to give me around 10-11kmpl and my fuel bill used to be significantly higher. But it has never bothered me. The same car had given even lower FE for a couple of years when it was used exclusively for really short trips (<1 km each) every day. Its a old car and age-old technology. So I was never bothered about either the FE or the fuel-bill.

With the XUV, the FE tracking that I do is only for the above mentioned reasons. Its a pleasure to own and drive this vehicle. Forget about the once in a month smile at the petrol-pump, this car brings a bigger smile to my face EVERY single time I step in.

As you mentioned, I am always looking for opportunities to take it to highways. The school is in their last term of the year and that is the only thing that is holding me back.

Last edited by SDP : 29th January 2013 at 13:43.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 17:59   #302
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

^^
Sorry for the back to back posts, but forgot to mention one more thing.

As I have posted earlier, 3 out of 6 problems I reported during my last visit to the service center are not fixed to my satisfaction. Since I let the customer-care know about my dissatisfaction, the service center has asked me to bring the vehicle in again. I obviously have better things to do than visiting the service center every alternate week . So most likely I would be visiting the service center again only in first or 2nd week of Feb'2013. The low FE was one of the six issues reported last time and I believe I should be ready with an update on the FE when I visit the service center again.
Old 29th January 2013, 20:15   #303
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Lost my left-side low-beam bulb 15 minutes back. Worked fine for the 45 minute drive back home. In fact while I pulled into my regular parking place, it was fine. Then I shifted to Neutral, applied handbrake and let the engine idle for 30 seconds. After first 5 seconds or so, the left hand side bulb went kaput. I doubt any voltage surge.

Now, I would have to visit service center early OR change the bulb myself.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:27   #304
BHPian

SDP, after driving for sometime, I get a whiff of hot air from the place where the fuel lid opener, headlamp leveler is located. This is more pronounced, as the A/C vent is just above and when placing my hand, my palm feels the chill air and the wrist, hot air. Is this something that you have experienced as well ?
Old 11th February 2013, 14:12   #305
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
SDP, after driving for sometime, I get a whiff of hot air from the place where the fuel lid opener, headlamp leveler is located. This is more pronounced, as the A/C vent is just above and when placing my hand, my palm feels the chill air and the wrist, hot air. Is this something that you have experienced as well ?
Don't remember noticing this, let me check and revert back.

BTW, congratulations for the "Sita". I have reached till the Insurance quotes in your opening post, after spending a good amount of time on it over the weekend. Have to say, your log is extremely detailed and thoroughly entertaining. As you must have noticed, there are not too many Red W8s on the forum. Have fun.

Last edited by SDP : 11th February 2013 at 14:13.
Old 13th February 2013, 21:13   #306
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Don't remember noticing this, let me check and revert back.
Checked couple of times. Nope, I am not getting any hot air.

You might want to check the rubber beading lining the door to see if there is any hot air leaking from outside. Other possibility is leaking of hot air from the firewall area from any possible gap in the dash around those 3 buttons.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:07   #307
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another FE update:

Filled up today morning. The tank took 21.42 liters and its been 263kms since last top-up. This works out to be 12.24kmpl. Even after adjusting for half a liter overfill in the previous tank-fill, it would be 12.00kmpl.

So looks like the air-filter cleaning and system-flashing has resulted in +0.5kmpl impact.

The infotainment system showed an avergae FE of 12.8kmpl. So looks like the general perception that the displayed FE is about 1kmpl more than actual is valid.

-------------------- What next? ----------------------
250kms is about 1/3rd of the full-tank range. I believe its a decent sized sample.

So I will take one more snapshot of the FE 2 weeks from now after another 250 odd kms. Going to reset the tyre-pressure today to 32 and 30 PSI as recommended by M&M. Let's see how the next experiment pans out.
Adjusted the tyre-pressure to the correct recommended levels after last time. Same usage like last time, 100% office commute, 0% AC.

Filled up today morning. The tank took 22.46 liters and its been 261kms since last top-up. This works out to be 11.62kmpl. Decent. I was expecting lower than last time because of the lowered tyre-pressure.

The infotainment system showed an avergae FE of 12.3kmpl. So the gap between the real FE and infotainment system FE is ~0.7kmpl. Not bad, I would say.

-------------------- What next? ----------------------
I will take one more snapshot of the FE 2 weeks from now after another 250 odd kms - this time with 100% AC. You must have noticed, I am changing one variable at a time. Let's see how the next experiment pans out.

PS: If you are getting a feeling that nowadays I have just too much of time on my hands, you are not too far from the truth.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 10:49   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Checked couple of times. Nope, I am not getting any hot air.

You might want to check the rubber beading lining the door to see if there is any hot air leaking from outside. Other possibility is leaking of hot air from the firewall area from any possible gap in the dash around those 3 buttons.
Thanks SDP. Checked the door beadings. They appear air tight. I suspect the insulation from the engine bay. I have noted it down and will get it corrected during my first service.

On a side note, I'm blown away by the AC effectiveness. I set the temp at 25 and it feels like 18. I then reduce the blower speed to the lowest but still feel cold. Amazing at how the machine cools such a airy interior so fast.

I do not seem to be shown the outside temperature on screen. It just shows the interior temp. Is there any setting to be done to enable this feature?

Also, SDP you had mentioned about blown lamps. Were you able to find the root cause ? I'm playing it safe and keeping all auto functions on manual mode, including the headlamps, wipers. I know I'm being paranoid. But until Mahindra fixes or at least ascertains the real issue behind the blown lamps, I better not risk my bright road ahead.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 19th February 2013 at 11:03.
Old 19th February 2013, 15:59   #309
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On a side note, I'm blown away by the AC effectiveness. I set the temp at 25 and it feels like 18. I then reduce the blower speed to the lowest but still feel cold. Amazing at how the machine cools such a airy interior so fast.

I do not seem to be shown the outside temperature on screen. It just shows the interior temp. Is there any setting to be done to enable this feature?
The ACC is indeed lovely. When I rotate the temperature knob, I do get to see the outside temperature. It would have been nicer if it would have been part of the permanent "status-bar" and quick-links at the bottom of the screen. But, that's OK.

There is no setting as such for seeing the outside temperature. Please get it checked when you visit the service center.

Quote:
Also, SDP you had mentioned about blown lamps. Were you able to find the root cause ? I'm playing it safe and keeping all auto functions on manual mode, including the headlamps, wipers. I know I'm being paranoid. But until Mahindra fixes or at least ascertains the real issue behind the blown lamps, I better not risk my bright road ahead.
I accumulate a few issues to be taken up with the service center in one go. So, I am currently driving with fogs and one side low-beam, with occassional use of high-beam. Most likely I would go to the service center in first week of Mar.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:56   #310
Senior - BHPian

Hi SDP,

Your thread on XUV must be one of the detailed ones(unless I am missing some other threads) and wanted to ask you, if the XUV can take a rear folding hitch mount cargo carrier(on the likes of what we get in US). If so, what size and weight restrictions. I intend to buy a XUV and it would be very useful for me to have a rear luggage carrier.

Thank you!
Old 20th February 2013, 07:18   #311
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi SDP,

Your thread on XUV must be one of the detailed ones(unless I am missing some other threads) and wanted to ask you, if the XUV can take a rear folding hitch mount cargo carrier(on the likes of what we get in US). If so, what size and weight restrictions. I intend to buy a XUV and it would be very useful for me to have a rear luggage carrier.

Thank you!
getsurya, I believe if a car has some arrangement to attach a trailer, it would be able to take rear folding hitch mount cargo carrier as well.

Apparently it is called as the Pintle Hook and the scorpio has some arrangement to affix it. Needs a change of bumper in some models though.
Please check out the following post in SS-Traveler's ownership log:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1532833

If Mahindra has been providing this arrangement for years on Scorpio, most likely XUV would also have it as part of its design. I have not seen this hook (or a different bumper) as part of official accessories list. So not very sure. Let me check with my RM next time I am at the service center.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:40   #312
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

getsurya, I believe if a car has some arrangement to attach a trailer, it would be able to take rear folding hitch mount cargo carrier as well.

Apparently it is called as the Pintle Hook and the scorpio has some arrangement to affix it. Needs a change of bumper in some models though.
Please check out the following post in SS-Traveler's ownership log:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1532833

If Mahindra has been providing this arrangement for years on Scorpio, most likely XUV would also have it as part of its design. I have not seen this hook (or a different bumper) as part of official accessories list. So not very sure. Let me check with my RM next time I am at the service center.
Speaking as an ex-owner of a Bolero and Scorpio and a long time Mahindra vehicle user, the pintle hook is an accessory meant for the older ladder frame chassis vehicles like the Scorpio along with a change of bumper.

In the Bolero one had to fit an even older type of heavy duty tow hook which involved either removing or cutting off the rear access step and welding the hook to the chassis cross member.

The Scorpio pintle hook attaches by way of being bolted to the rear chassis cross lateral member which is a large solid piece of metal lurking beneath the plastic skin of the bumper.

The XUV, being a monocoque does not have such an arrangement.
Hence unless recommended and executed by a Mahindra workshop, one cannot and indeed should not try to weld or otherwise fit the old style pintle hook to the newer monocoque chassis vehicles.

However I am sure that they will have some sort of more modern arrangement of towhook for the XUV, since it is being exported and people abroad are constantly having to tow their caravans or boats or whatever, with their cars or SUV's.

Check the web for details about what is on offer from Mahindra in South Africa which is a large market for the XUV.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:56   #313
BHPian

Hello SDP,

I know this comes very very late but, I do recollect going through your thread the very first day it went LIVE (Unfortunately, wasn't a member at that time).

Saw this in the current threads section and it indeed turned out to be yours .

As many T-Bhpians echoed in the opening posts, Red is a color we haven't seen much on the Xuvis that do the rounds in Mumbai (atleast). Suits the beast no end .

Now, will ensure that I go through all the imminent pages that I missed all this while and also, glued for any more updates to follow.

Needless to say, this indeed is a 5stars deserving thread. All the best, mate! Cheers!

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 20th February 2013 at 11:57.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:14   #314
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Running Repairs 2nd & 3rd March 2013

1. LHS low-beam headlight bulb had fused. This is the 2nd bulb I have lost. I suspected voltage-fluctuation.
Work done: Bulb replaced.

2. Gear knob plastic had chipped. Would provide a snap in couple of days. Since this can not be due to regular wear&tear and the lever had not hit anything in the past, I suspected bad quality as the cause of the chipped part.
Work done: Part not in stock. I would be called in after 2-3 days when the part is in stock.

3. Brake "groan". Brakes make noise when applied. Had heard that the latest non-Bosch brake pads seem to be the final solution.
Work done: Brake-pads replaced with version 4 non-Bosch brake-pads. Brake-pedal replaced as well. Quantum jump in the brake's performance. The brake starts biting significantly earlier and there is absolutely no 'groan' noise from the brake. Love them. Was told that these brake-pads are being tested and I have been asked to provide a feedback after a few days.

4. Minor niggles from inside the car. Cowl and seats in particular.
Work done: The cowl above the meter-dials has been tightened and there is no rattle from that part anymore. They have in general tightened the interior panels a bit. They have somehow tightly fixed my rear-number-plate as well, which used to vibrate when going over rough roads. No more noises.

5. Infortainment system flickers sometimes. I had reported this problem in conjunction with the bulb-fusing and had suggested that may be the voltage is fluctuating.
Work done: They investigated and did not find any problem. The infotainment system s/w is also uptodate. They reflashed it anyways and asked me to keep a tab on the issue.

6. Front wiper spray not working. This was a repeat problem and had reoccurred 3 days after it was fixed.
Work done: Some twist in the pipe seem to have caused the problem. Fixed.

7. Low mileage on highways. I shared detailed data with them and mentioned that over the entire 8700kms of running the average is 11.75kmpl. This was reported last time as well and they had cleaned up the air-filter last time.
Work done: Checked the filters again. Checked the engine's parameters as well. Could not find anything out of ordinary. Was told that most owners are reporting an average fuel efficiency of 10-13kmpl on mixed city+highway usage. So looks like the FE I am getting is in the correct range.

8. Steering off-center by 5-10 degrees because of which vehicle pulls to the left.
Work done: Alignment was done again. Tested. No issues now.

9. A rubber piece towards the hinge side of the bonnet had been chewed off by a rat.
Work done: Replaced with a new piece. A wire-mesh has been added somewhere under the bonnet so as to restrict rats from entering.

10. A kat-kat-kat sound distinctly audible ~30kmph in 2nd gear. Had reported it last time as well.
Work done: They took opinion from 2 more experienced guys and mentioned that its normal sound from the drive-train. I randomly suspected wheel-bearings. They inspected it and ruled it out.

Although there was no specific suspension noise in my vehicle, they replaced the balancer-bar bushes with a redesigned pair, which apparently solves noise from balancer-bar.

I had requested a thorough checkup of the vehicle, so they kept the vehicle overnight.

Took a long test-ride today around 4pm and I was happy with the work done. The only problem is that the vehicle got a small ding on the rear right door. Brought it to their notice and they offered to fix and repaint the entire panel. I asked them to keep a note of the ding and opted out of any immediate fix (because of the repainting that would be done).

Overall, the vehicle feels real 'tight' now and I am happy with the fantastic support provided by the service-center and customer-care folks.

Informal news: Watch the XUV official site and FB page next week. A positive surprise is most likely in store.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd March 2013 at 19:21.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:15   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Informal news: Watch the XUV official site and FB page next week. A positive surprise is most likely in store.
Great that M&M are providing good service and listening to the issues with patience.

Whats that you are hinting at? Can we have a peek?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd March 2013 at 22:36. Reason: fixed the quote tags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks