Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 17:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. 25000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The underbody coating does not help much even with the 5 year coating. The Etios/Liva comes with Ferrous treatment before painting it at the plant. This treatment does not do good to the sticking properties. So dont be surprised to see the underbody coating chip offs like it was in the case of my Liva.

By the way you could try the dynamat or if you get hold of the 3M dampening mats, please use it liberally on the floor, wheelwells and the boot too. This should keep the noise away. The plastic cladding should have been given by Toyota for the wheelwells to keep the small stones hitting it and making noises which intrude into the cabin.
1) I did notice some chipping of the underbody coating. I was planning to report it during my next service. Need to find some way out because I'm more concerned about the rusting in the long run than the sound deadening.
2) I do not want to get into the hassle of spending too much money on it. For me, the sound is not irritating. So, staying away from dynamat and 3m dampeners for now.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:30   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1) I did notice some chipping of the underbody coating. I was planning to report it during my next service. Need to find some way out because I'm more concerned about the rusting in the long run than the sound deadening.
Nothing much can be done on this apart from getting the underbody coating inspected and redone every six months or one year.

Quote:
2) I do not want to get into the hassle of spending too much money on it. For me, the sound is not irritating. So, staying away from dynamat and 3m dampeners for now.
I had the 3M mats with me for a few days, but finally sold the car and hence did not put them on the car, so gave it back.
Old 9th November 2012, 17:41   #63
BHPian

@nkrishnap and @amalji - Any headlamp upgrade suggestions? or should I get the foglamps? I found it very difficult to drive on the highway when it was raining cats and dogs. It became pitch dark. Even the high beam was of no use.
Heard that the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs have a good light throw + they have the same power consumption as the stock ones (55W).
How much will the aftermarket fog lamps for Liva/Etios cost? Any idea?
Old 9th November 2012, 21:48   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
@nkrishnap and @amalji - Any headlamp upgrade suggestions? or should I get the foglamps? I found it very difficult to drive on the highway when it was raining cats and dogs. It became pitch dark. Even the high beam was of no use.
Heard that the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs have a good light throw + they have the same power consumption as the stock ones (55W).
I had the 100/90 H4 set up with a separate wiring with Ceramic holders. The lighting was wonderful. Its very easy to install one in the LIVA, its a simple DIY. If you need help on the headlights, please PM me. I can help you out.

By the get the OEM fog lamps which will cost you around 4200 + 100/200 for installation. Do not go for aftermarket as the OEM though weak in output, does have real good spread and does really help in the rain.

Extreme vision will be good in dry weather, but once the rain appears in to picture, I would suggest stick to the regular lighting but with a higher wattage.
Old 10th November 2012, 00:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
By the get the OEM fog lamps which will cost you around 4200 + 100/200 for installation. Do not go for aftermarket as the OEM though weak in output, does have real good spread and does really help in the rain.
Thanks. I got them installed in my car, costed me Rs 4100 including installation. Wasn't sure whether I took the right decision as the output seems weak to the naked eye. Reassured.
Old 10th November 2012, 01:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extreme vision will be good in dry weather, but once the rain appears in to picture, I would suggest stick to the regular lighting but with a higher wattage.
Why do you think so ?
PS: XtremeVision doesn't output a whiter light.

Quote:
Philips XtremeVision is what I would recommend.
100/90 with extra relay is a good option as well. But, I went against it for the following reasons.

1) The relay wiring tends to fail with age ( After 4 years or so ). This happened both on my old Esteem and my mother's Zen.
2) The relay issue caused major inconvenience for my parents when they are driving in the night and the light goes on and off.

So, I went against any custom wiring atleast for a critical component like the headlamps. And when we go against custom wiring, it's better to go for stock power rating with 55/60 watts bulb. And with that in mind, the best option was XtremeVision bulbs from Philips. It will cost you around 1,100 for a pair.

And don't go for aftermarket fog. Go for the Toyota fog lamps. They are good and reliable.

Last edited by amalji : 10th November 2012 at 01:36.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:31   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think so ?
PS: XtremeVision doesn't output a whiter light.

Philips XtremeVision is what I would recommend.
100/90 with extra relay is a good option as well. But, I went against it for the following reasons.

1) The relay wiring tends to fail with age ( After 4 years or so ). This happened both on my old Esteem and my mother's Zen.
2) The relay issue caused major inconvenience for my parents when they are driving in the night and the light goes on and off.

So, I went against any custom wiring atleast for a critical component like the headlamps. And when we go against custom wiring, it's better to go for stock power rating with 55/60 watts bulb. And with that in mind, the best option was XtremeVision bulbs from Philips. It will cost you around 1,100 for a pair.

And don't go for aftermarket fog. Go for the Toyota fog lamps. They are good and reliable.
The PMP and Hella wiring with relay and cremaic holders are quite reliable. But one should be vary of getting fake ones in the market. I have used these in my previous cars, neighter the bulb nor the wiring gave up.

I had this set up on the Liva and Alto. With Alto its running for the past 4 years without any issues and the same with Liva too.

By the Toyota Accessories and After sales guys themselves recommend this and heck I see 90% of Innovas and Liva with this 100/90 set up.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think, it degrades in performance during rain ?
Old 10th November 2012, 09:47   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think, it degrades in performance during rain ?
Opps missed this. The Extreme vision has that quartz or the slight silverish blue coating, making the light whiter. Not the way the blue vision or the blue type lights. But I have observed both the Night Breaker Plus and the Extreme vision to have similar effect when compared to the bulbs with higher wattage.

Thats when I switched back to higher wattage after using these extreme vision, night breaker plus, Osram silver star.

Hope this helps.

PS: The extreme vision or night breaker plus is no where near as poor as blue vision types in rain.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 18:30   #70
BHPian

Posting a pic of my friend's Liva. He's got the HID Kit ( not Xenon ) for both the Headlamps and Fog lamps. The light is pure WHITE and is absolutely blinding. Never seen any automotive headlight as bright as this one!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-liva.jpg
Old 11th November 2012, 21:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992
Posting a pic of my friend's Liva. He's got the HID Kit ( not Xenon ) for both the Headlamps and Fog lamps...
What do you mean by the HID kit is NOT xenon? Has he changed the reflectors as well? And how much did it cost?
Old 11th November 2012, 22:19   #72
BHPian

Xenons are the projector type. This one isn't a projector. Its a bulb but, a bigger one. I guess he is using the stock reflectors. The headlamps alone cost him 15K and the fog lamps cost around 8K.
Old 11th November 2012, 23:28   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Xenons are the projector type. This one isn't a projector. Its a bulb but, a bigger one. I guess he is using the stock reflectors. The headlamps alone cost him 15K and the fog lamps cost around 8K.
Most of the light from the stock reflectors simply scatters with lesser output on the path ahead. Also with the bright yellow/stock lights the white seems to get obsorbed.

Unless the HID is put in the proper quality projectors serves little purpose or then blinding the on comers.
Old 12th November 2012, 00:03   #74
BHPian

But, when i drove it, i found the beam spread to be much better than the stock lamps. He is using after market reflectors for the fog lamps. You can actually see that the fog lamp is much more powerful than the headlamp. That's because he went back to the shop where he installed it and reduced the intensity of the headlamps. Even though he decreased it, he got pulled over by the cops twice for the white light as we all know that they aren't road-legal unless they are OEM lights.
Old 16th November 2012, 14:29   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, what kind of highway mileage are you getting on the Liva?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks