Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 10:34   #31
BHPian

Re: In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20

The "Clear Air" is more of just a sticker thingee!! If you notice, 1 out of 10 would have it and the other's wont!!

I have a CRDI Sportz and mine does not have any mention of the "Clear Air" on the console. Have seen 5 more CRDI Sportz and Magna's in my office and out of them, 1 Magna and 1 Sportz have the "Clean Air" mentioned on them.

Also saw a brand new Asta (CRDI) in Advaitha Hyundai showroom, that too did not have the "Clear Air" mentioned.

Think this ionizer+clean air is farce!!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 11:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed

Congrats Jaspal. i20 is indeed a great buy when compared to its competitors. We had bought an i20 CRDI sportz in AUG 2011, probably mine was the first CRDI i20 which came from the 5 speed grearbox lot out here in Aurangabad. It used to be 6 gears earlier.

We also had got the steel spare wheel. When enquired I was told that the Asta O also came with the steel wheel. Some practice Hyundai shared with the Germans I guess and I don't like that.

Wish you all happy and safe miles, also you may visit Wildon's thread - you will get most of the features explained in detail.
I own a sports petrol , the only reason I upgraded from magna o was the steering.
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats on your new car.The interior looks neat .Can you post pics of the MID in the center? Does it show the average fuel consumed and distance to empty ?
Thanks.

Below are the pics, the mid doesn't show DTE or average fuel consumption.
its quite basic and most of the info displayed is about the audio system.
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0378.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0377.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 14:38   #34
BHPian

A small update.

The car has just completed 3000kms, which includes 900 kms of highway driving done during visit to my hometown Jhansi last week. This road section (Delhi-Mathura-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi) offered the best, average and may be the worst road conditions which we can find in India.
Driving on Yamuna expressway was a pleasure, while the 4 lane Agra-Gwalior section which is a part of North-South Corridor offered the opportunity to check the cars overtaking ability as the stretch is flooded with slower moving trucks- tempos etc.

The 110 km odd Gwalior-Jhansi section, also part of north-south corridor but under construction (since 4 years!) was a nightmare. 3:30 hrs of bone jarring ride! Must have taken at least 5000km of life from my cars suspension!

The Yamuna expressway from Noida till agra provided the the opportunity to judge the cars high speed stability. The car feels quite stable upto 130 kmph and there is no boat like feeling which some owners have highlighted. The steering too offers decent feedback & weighs up well as speed builds up, though one has to keep a firm hand on it. Hyundai has definitely improved the suspension on the face lifted i gen i20, which feels more refined and absorbent. Ride quality is quite good and the car handles average sized craters (found many on my way!) quite well. Also the earlier i20 ‘s front suspension use to make a clunk sound over deep potholes, this seems to have disappeared in the newer version.

The car is more suited to relaxed cruising than sudden burst of acceleration. The 1.2 litre petrol mill simply lacks the grunt needed for a car of this size and weight and you often wonder whether the engine even develops 84ps of power. Below 2000 rpm the engine feels sluggish, especially in 3rd gear. I had to down shift from 5th to 3rd on many occasions to overtake those trucks, Mahindra jeeps etc.

Thankfully the shift action is positive and changing gears is actually a pleasure. The one grouse which I have is that the shift throw is a bit longer. Polo and Fabia have better shift quality no doubt. Also the clutch travel is a bit longer and offers resistance which is more than expected from a premium petrol hatchback.

The car scores highly on refinement. Engine is silky smooth though I haven’t revved it above 4k as it’s still relatively new. Idle is extremely refined with no vibrations whatsoever from gearlever, pedals etc. Only a glance at the tacho can tell whether the engine is on. Sound insulation is excellent too, wind and tyre noise are quite minimal. But on Yamuna expressway, the tyre noise was on the higher side because of concrete construction. Tarmac sections offer a silent ride.

It’s amazing how a well loaded car can make your highway trip less tiring. Auto AC works well and is a silent performer. Electrically folding/ adjustable OSRVM were extremely useful while negotiating Agra’s mad city traffic as I had on numerous times folded the OSRVMs ,just to prevent them from damage! Seats are excellent and provide sufficient bolstering. Dead pedal too is a boon and this was one of the many reasons for rejecting Polo.

Other small details like cooled glove box which kept my coke can and water bottle cool enough, toll ticket holder near vanity mirror, and auto down/up power windows deserve special mention. The headlamps on the new i20 are a much improved one, they offer separate bulbs for high/low beem.
Both the spread and throw are sufficient & I don’t feel the need to upgrade the headlamps. But the same can’t be said about the Horn. A one with louder authority is definitely required-need suggestion from you guys.

Overall I’m highly satisfied with the cars performance. Currently it’s delivering 11.5 kmpl in Delhi traffic with AC on 100%. While on the 900 km odd journey, too and from Jhansi it delivered 15.3Kmpl which is acceptable considering that around 35% of the roads were in an awful state.

Below are some more pics of my coral white beauty. The third last pic shows two vertical metal bars. I guess they act as a dog-guard to prevent damage to the condensor/Radiator

Have just received my Team-Bhp sticker set and will be posting more pics after I finalize where to paste them. Any Suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0340001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0341.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0356001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0369001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0372001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0350001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0366.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:41   #35
BHPian

ICE Update!

as mentioned earlier in the thread, though the stock audio is good enough, the rear speakers are too feeble and even at the backseat sound is un satisfactory. So decided to upgrade both the components and rear coaxials.

Front components-Hertz ESK 165, Price Rs 7500 with B&W
Rear Doors-Rockford fosgate Prime-R1653 3 way coaxial, Rs 2500 with B&W
Speaker wire from audison at Rs 90/mtr. did not notice the thickness.

Installation was done at Driven, Kailash colony.

Auditioned Digital designs(DD) too but they lacked bass though their high frequency response was more smooth than Hertz , which are on the brighter side. Overall improvement in sound quality is 20% at max. I was expecting better result.
The need of an amp is definately felt now.

will be posting pics very soon!
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:40   #36
BHPian

I guess the output from the components would improve after they break-in. Adding an entry level sub and amp will definitely satisfy the need of extra bass.

On the other hand, you could place the TBHP stickers on:

(The second pic is taken from the Official Review)

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0356001.jpg

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-hyundaii2015.jpg
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I guess the output from the components would improve after they break-in. Adding an entry level sub and amp will definitely satisfy the need of extra bass.

On the other hand, you could place the TBHP stickers on:

(The second pic is taken from the Official Review)

Attachment 994711

Attachment 994712
I do agree. its been 2 weeks since the installation was done and the ESK components do sound better now. RF coaxials are pretty average though.
No plans to add a sub/amp as of now.

I already have the stickers on my car
here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-dscn0435.jpg  

Old 24th October 2012, 15:47   #38
BHPian

Need some advice.

car has just completed 6200 kms in approx 4 months & i'am in a dilemma whether to change the engine oil before the second service due at 10,000 km.
The manual states first oil change during second service at 6 months or 10,000 km ( whichever earlier), but also recommends oil change at 5000km if the car has been driven in harsh conditions ie frequent idling, stop start driving, driving when outside temp is always above 32 C. etc

People familiar with Delhi traffic would agree that the above conditions are applicable in this case.

please advise me whether i should wait till second service due in Jan or is it better to get the oil change before since i'l be making a 1000 km return trip to my hometown jhansi during diwali.

Last edited by jaspal singh : 24th October 2012 at 15:50. Reason: grammatical mistake.
Old 25th November 2012, 14:29   #39
BHPian

Hi friends.

Second free service was done yesterday at 8300 km. though the scheduled service interval is 9000-10000 km or 6 months, i got it done a bit earlier as i always feel in our driving conditions, 1st engine oil change should not take so long irrespective of what the manufacturer recommends
took the car to Hyundai motor plaza-Mathura road at 10 am and got delivery at 2pm. the car feels fresh after interior/exterior cleaning done & engine feels even more refined after the oil change.

Total Cost: Rs 944/- for oil and filter change.
the engine oil mentioned in the invoice is from shell.

the mileage has improved from barely 10.7 kmpl in city driving conditions earlier to 13.1 kmpl now. but because of winters, AC usage is about 70 % now.

will keep updating the thread.

Regrads
Old 13th May 2013, 16:18   #40
BHPian

Could you please write about the procedure you followed for the running in period in terms of RPM and top speed. I am getting delivery of my i20 soon, so it would be of help. Thanks.
Old 19th May 2013, 10:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
Could you please write about the procedure you followed for the running in period in terms of RPM and top speed. I am getting delivery of my i20 soon, so it would be of help. Thanks.

Hi virtualaman,

In i20's manual, Hyundai advises to keep the revs below 4000 RPM for first 1500 kms or so.
in my case i always maintained RPM levels below 2500 for the first 1500 kms or so. also never took the car above 80kmph in 5th gear . Up shifting at 2200 RPM returns best fuel economy in case of petrol i20.
Meanwhile the car went for 3rd free service yesterday at 16246 kms and now feels as good as new. will be posting a detailed update shortly.
Old 19th May 2013, 12:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Hi virtualaman,

In i20's manual, Hyundai advises to keep the revs below 4000 RPM for first 1500 kms or so.
in my case i always maintained RPM levels below 2500 for the first 1500 kms or so. also never took the car above 80kmph in 5th gear . Up shifting at 2200 RPM returns best fuel economy in case of petrol i20.
Meanwhile the car went for 3rd free service yesterday at 16246 kms and now feels as good as new. will be posting a detailed update shortly.
Thanks. That is useful information.

I got my i20 yesterday. Will be posting a detailed ownership thread on it soon.

By the way, what's the fuel economy you have been getting?
Old 19th May 2013, 17:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
Thanks. That is useful information.

I got my i20 yesterday. Will be posting a detailed ownership thread on it soon.

By the way, what's the fuel economy you have been getting?
Congrats for your new i20 wishing you miles of trouble free service

i have maintained a detailed excel to monitor fuel consumption.
as you can see below , during winter months(Nov-Feb) , car consistently delivered above 13.5 kmpl in city driving cycle with 50 % AC being usage.

Recently the car started giving inconsistent mileage , varying between 11 to 12.5 kmpl. this is with Auto AC set at 20 C. But during this period the car has idled a lot with AC.
with 3rd service being carried out yeterday, i hope this figure improves.
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-i20-fuel-economy.png  

Old 19th May 2013, 20:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Congrats for your new i20 wishing you miles of trouble free service
Thanks for sharing. Will let you know about my FE experience, if any different. While the manual states Engine Oil and Filter are scheduled for replacement only after 10,000 Kms whichever us earlier, I plan to get this done in the first service at the end around 1200-1500 Km at the end of two months on my own expense.
Old 19th May 2013, 21:11   #45
BHPian

There's confusion regarding recommended tyre pressure for a Normal laid - the manual recommends 33 psi, whereas the sticker on the driver side entrance recommends 30 psi! Is this is a goof up by Hyundai?? Your thoughts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks