Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2013, 23:05   #46
BHPian

Re: In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20

Hi friends,

3rd free service was carried out yesterday at 16246 kms. manual states service interval of 6 months or 10,000kms but i got this done a bit earlier as the second service was carried out at 8148 kms 6 months back.

Total amount paid was- Rs 1400

Service experience at Hyundai Motor Plaza- Mohan Co-operative has been pretty good throughout. In all 3 free services, the service advisors ensured that all the work was carried out in a professional way. car was delivered as per promised time & was spanking clean inside-out.

recently the car was delivering inconsistent mileage(see 2 posts earlier).
During inspection it was found that the axle gear oil seal had minor leakage. service advisor took me to the service bay to show the same(thankfully i had not left the workshop by then). initially he said it would cost Rs 3000, but immediately said it would be replaced under warranty. Upon asking the reason behind the leak, he said car must have taken a hit, which i refused & showed him how the area around the leak showed no signs of damage. Then he said this problem is not un usual!

Has any petrol i20 owner experienced such leakage ?

Below are few pics taken at the service center.
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0023.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0024.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0025.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0026.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0029.jpg  

Old 19th May 2013, 23:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
There's confusion regarding recommended tyre pressure for a Normal laid - the manual recommends 33 psi, whereas the sticker on the driver side entrance recommends 30 psi! Is this is a goof up by Hyundai?? Your thoughts?
Follow tyre pressure recommended on the door. 33 psi is only for full load or with 3 or more passengers i guess. This difference in tyre pressure is applicable for most cars.
But I maintain 32psi in interest of fuel economy, car is mostly self driven - at max with a co passenger.
Old 26th May 2013, 11:38   #48
BHPian

a small incident which occurred during 3rd service.

an Axe deo in the glovebox & a microfiber cloth kept under the drivers seat was missing after service. I noticed this on reaching home. Though i should have taken all the belongings before handing over the car(service advisor requested the same), the incident has left me dissappointed and frustrated
Old 26th May 2013, 11:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post

During inspection it was found that the axle gear oil seal had minor leakage. service advisor took me to the service bay to show the same(thankfully i had not left the workshop by then). initially he said it would cost Rs 3000, but immediately said it would be replaced under warranty. Upon asking the reason behind the leak, he said car must have taken a hit, which i refused & showed him how the area around the leak showed no signs of damage. Then he said this problem is not un usual!

Has any petrol i20 owner experienced such leakage ?
Recently my 2009 1.2 i20 suffered from the same gear oil leakage. Upon checking, they said it is probably because of the gear oil seal. They told me not to worry as was not really a leakage, and it has stopped leaking since the check up. However, they said if the leak starts again, they will have to replace the gear oil seal, which would cost around Rs 3,000.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 16:19   #50
BHPian

Dear Friends,

It’s been quite long since i updated the ownership thread.
Car completed 25000 kms two weeks back and 1st paid service ie 4th service was carried out at Capital Hyundai, Sec 2 Noida.

But before discussing service experience, i would like to share a major hassle which i faced in July when the car broke down near GIP mall Noida. At that moment car had 19385 kms on ODO

I and my friend had planned a movie(Bhaag Milkha Bhaag!) . We had booked tickets online and it was noon show(around 12:40 ). Since my residence is barely 5 min drive from GIP mall, we left at 12:30 pm. The car had covered 500 mtrs or so when the AC stopped working. I Opened the bonnet to check radiator fan , which was working fine. But since we were getting late for movie, we decided to drive the car. Just when we reached GIP mall entrance , i notice the temp needle at 130c mark.

Friend got down to see if there were any under bonnet fumes, but it looked normal. Since it was noon time, entry to the mall parking was farely quick and we decided to park the car in open parking instead of basement. Watched the whole movie with a heavy heart.

Came back at around 4:30 , opened the bonnet and on closer inspection i notice that AC/Alternator belt is missing. And if this was not enough, got a big shock when i noticed that even the crankshaft pulley is missing.
There was a lot of oil near pulley mounting point area.
Called capital Hyundai Noida, people in Noida would know that their Sec 2 workshop is barely 1.5 kms from GIP. They said it would take them 1 and ½ hrs to reach GIP! Even calling on Hyundai Motors India Ltd toll free no did not help as even they asked me to call Capital Hyundai which was nearest to my place.

Finally took help from local car garage opp GIP and got the car towed on my own. Towing car was a 15 year old Maruti 800 running on CNG!
Since it was already 6 pm, car was left at the workshop and i decided to come next day.

During inspection it was found that the Crankshaft Bolt which secures the pulley has broken because of which the pulley had fallen, along with Belt. This was a big shock for me as i considered it as a serious manufacturing defect. The workshop incharge assured replacement under warranty but could not give a convincing answer to explain the failure.
Reason for engine overheating was that once the belt breaks down, the water pump stops working and there is no coolant circulation.
Any ways, repairs were carried out the same day and the car was delivered in evening in perfect condition.

Bolt was replaced under warranty but,
I had to pay Rs 840 for the AC/Alternator Belt as it was a rubber part and had fallen off.

I have attached few pics taken from cellphone cam.

4th Service at 25121 KMs

The following jobs were carried out during fourth service.

Engine Oil- Rs 852.87
Consumables- Rs 121.21
Air Filter replacement – Rs 281.38
Engine Oil Filter-Rs 74.74
All spark plugs replaced- Rs 255.94
Windshield washer fluid- Rs 16.03

Labour and Services.

1) Caliper Greasing-Rs 255
2) Throttle Body Cleaning- Rs 125
3) Fuel Injector Cleaning-Rs 325
4) PMS( Periodic Maintenance Service) -Rs 1085
5) Rear Brakeshoe Cleaning-Rs 175.

Total Invoice Amount for 4th service =Rs 4040/- including service tax.

Meanwhile the car is running in perfect condition and feels as good as new.
Fuel efficiency in City- 12.9 kmpl with 100 % AC

to sum up-

All the positives and negatives discussed earlier in the initial ownership thread stand true!
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0045.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0047.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0049.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0046.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0058.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 21:06   #51
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Recently the car has been facing overheating problem which is yet to be resolved. its an Petrol i20, the newer model.
Car showed signs of overheating as temp needle crossed 110 mark on afternoon of 7-June. At this point cooling from AC dropped drastically and i promptly tooK the car to Capital Hyundai's Sec 2 workshop in Noida. Job Card for overheating problem was prepared and i was asked to come next morning which was a sunday.

Reached workshop at 10 am and they started work on the Car. Initially they concluded that the engine temperature sensor is faulty and was replaced under warranty. We went for a testdrive but the problem still existed. Scanner showed Water temp as 110 C which should ideally be in the range of 98-100 C.

They then took the car to washing bay and the radiator was washed under high pressure. I waited at the reception and was told after 1 hr that the problem has been resolved and the radiator was the culprit. they again replaced the old temperature sensor stating it was fine. we went for a small TD at around 3 pm and the car behaved normally. Car was delivered to me and they charged Rs 630 + vat for cleaning the radiator etc.

Delivery date-8-June

the very next day ie 9 June it was a hot sunny afternoon in Delhi and the problem resurfaced and this time the temp needle touched the red mark. 130c
AC also stopped working .

waited for the car to cool down and managed to take the car at the workshop at 4pm . They did not give me a computerized Job card this time as it was late. But i guess they did not want to register the car for same problem on database as they had delivered the vehicle previous day. I have the copy of Manual Job card given on 9-June which shows KM reading higher than on the Billing Invoice given on 8-June

Car was finally given on Tuesday-10-June without any computerized invoice and even the gate pass was manual. we went for a 20KM long testdrive with the Scanner attached and the car did not overheat. I was told that the Thermostat valve had become sticky and it has been cleaned

But my nightmare has begun again as the problem has reoccurred. Today again the temp needle touched 110 mark and AC stopped working.

Now i am suspecting a major hassle which Capital Hyundai has not been able to diagnose . Car's warranty is expiring on 7-July and i suspect Capital hyundai is deliberately doing wrong diagnosis.

Note-
1) Problem occurs only when car moves slowly with AC on
2) Car has done 40000km
3) Has been maintained as per service schedule.
4) its not related to coolant and water level as they were found to be normal

Below are few pics showing temp and KM readings.

Pic 1-2 Reading on 9-June after the car was delivered on 8-June with KM reading lower than this.( mentioned on the invoice)

Pic 3-Reading today.

Friends please suggest what should i do next and possible cause of the problem.

Regards,
Jaspal
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0081.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0083.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-photo0085.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:34   #52
BHPian

Hi,

Car has completed 52500 kms and will be given for 7th paid service this sat at HMP-Mathura road.

Can petrol i20 owners share what extra expenses can i expect apart from regular ones.
Car is running fine and no mechanical parts like- Brake Pad, disc etc have been replaced yet.

Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 16:42   #53
Team-BHP Support

Sorry if I missed this but how was the overheating problem resolved?

Quote:
Car is running fine and no mechanical parts like- Brake Pad, disc etc have been replaced yet.
50k on the odo and your brake pads are still intact? And the disks were never skimmed?
Old 26th December 2014, 00:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Sorry if I missed this but how was the overheating problem resolved?
they had replaced the radiator and thermostat under warranty. The old radiator had a small hole at bottom right which was detected during high pressure testing.
had posted in detail here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ts-road-5.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
50k on the odo and your brake pads are still intact? And the disks were never skimmed?
Yes the car is still running stock pads,disks and i have not faced any issues.
lets see what the service guys recommend this sat
Old 22nd October 2015, 00:21   #55
BHPian

Hi ,

Car completed 71000 kms last week and the following jobs were done

1) Rubbing at express car wash, Chanakaypuri outlet for Rs1500+ service tax
2) Also The Yoko A drives were finally replaced with Yoko Earthone yesterday.

A drives have lasted really long, 71000km! there was tread, good for another 10k kms but the rubber had become hard after 3 years of use and the grip levels had deteriorated.

will post a detailed 70000kms ownership review shortly along with pics of new tires

Regards,
Jaspal
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20151010_213029091.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20151003_165732104.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20151003_172432654.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20151004_084515165.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20151004_194100514.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 20:29   #56
BHPian

Hi Friends

reached 80000 kms mark 3 weeks back, and during servicing , SA of Capital hyundai Noida sec 2 pointed out that the clutch has become hard and would need overhaul. if not done immediately it may pack up any time leaving me stranded.

though i have been noticing stiff Clutch pedal since last 15000 kms, have never faced any problem in shifting, pick up or clutch slipping.

as per him normal clutch overhaul would cost around 9k and if the problem is with master cylinder it would come around 18k.

Can anyone please advise how would i come to know what is the main cause of stiff clutch pedal so that i dont end up paying extra.

will bleeding brake lines help, as in i20 brake fluid chamber shares hydraulic lines for clutch sleeve cylinder as well?

Regards
jaspal

Last edited by jaspal singh : 26th March 2016 at 20:31.
jaspal singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 11:19   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
as per him normal clutch overhaul would cost around 9k and if the problem is with master cylinder it would come around 18k.
Congrats on 80,000 kms, Jaspal!

If there is no drop in pickup & FE, check the posts on this thread and this one.

That said, if this is still your original clutch, it would surely be reaching the end of its life at 80,000 kms. As a precautionary measure, I would suggest getting the clutch replaced.
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, if this is still your original clutch, it would surely be reaching the end of its life at 80,000 kms. As a precautionary measure, I would suggest getting the clutch replaced.
Thanks GTO
Went to capital Hyundai ,Noida yesterday and the Technician again insisted to get the clutch replaced . Rs 9k for Clutch/ pressure plate and upto 20k if Cylinder also requires replacement .
Then i went to Carnation in sec 3 Noida for independent opinion, who , after checking the car said the clutch is good for another 20000 kms. They found hardness quite acceptable and said even if i go for new clutch , it will again become a bit hard after 10k of driving.
Currently no drop in pick up or FE, so I am extremely confused now.
Old 26th June 2016, 11:11   #59
BHPian

Friends, need advice

Car's Auto AC was giving problem since last one month. cooling was really low and i made a big blunder by taking the car to independent AC shop in Central Market, Lajpat Nagar. they diagnosed a leak in the pipe which is near compressor , replaced it and recharged the AC system with refrigerant, oil etc.

Paid Rs 3000 for this 3 weeks back.

AC worked properly only for 2 days and then cooling became erratic. Cooling would come for few seconds and go again. at idling speed it works normally , but as soon as you accelerate or change RPM it again stops working. Then you need to switch it Off/On. Again works for few seconds and stops.
When cooling stops, compressor clutch is still engaged , so its not an electrical fault

Went to capital Hyundai Sec 2 , Noida yesterday and after doing initial diagnosis the SA suggested that the compressor may have become week , which is why its working erratically. He also suggested that cooling coil would be replaced as it has developed a leak. Also they suggested that the compressor may work after coil is replaced along with full AC service which basically includes cleaning the entire system and then recharging the same.

Finally evaporator coil was replaced along with full servicing. AC worked normally in workshop and during a 300 mtrs test ride.

I made payment of Rs 7100/ and left for home at 5 pm yesterday. drove the car for just few hundred meters and the problem reoccurred. AC stopped working.

Went back again and after checking the condenser they suggested the only solution left now is Compressor / Condenser replacement alog with necessary fittings which would set me back by another Rs 32000/
Rs 22000 for new Hyundai Compressor, Rs 6500 for condensor and other small fittings.

Rs 37000 for all this sounds very exorbitant to me , also Rs 7100 spent on new cooling coil and servicing have been futile .

Can any one suggest what to do now, is there any other way out? Please help

Regards,
Jaspal
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20160625_135152835.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20160625_204157619.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20160625_135259779.jpg  

Old 12th February 2017, 16:12   #60
BHPian

Re: In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-Edit 100000 kms

Hi

Reached 1 lac kms mark last Dec. Car has been a trouble free performer in 4.5 years of ownership.
i am mentioning service wise summary of expenses so far.

1st Service -1509 kms- Rs 0
2nd Service-8158 kms- Rs 944
3rd Service-16246 kms-Rs 1400
4th Service-25121 kms- Rs 4040
5h Service- 33994 kms- Rs 5719
6th Service-43205 kms- Rs 5818
7th Service- 52556 kms- Rs 4508
8th Service- 62336 kms- Rs 7586
9th Service-72530 kms- Rs 6445
10th Service-80205 kms- Rs 6115
11th Service- 90156 kms- Rs 19917
12th Service- 99795 kms- Rs 8700

Major expenses

11th Service- this amount included approximately Rs 10000 for 1st clutch overhall
8th Service- this amount included Rs 1800 for front brake pads replacement.

Unscheduled expenses

Rs 2400 for front suspension arm replacement-Right side. this was at 86343 kms
Rs 737- Broken Crankshaft belt - 19388 kms-Case discussed in thread
Rs 16000 - Tyre replacement , this was at 70k kms mark.

Car scores high on reliability and apart from one overheating issue, the ownership has been trouble free. Hyundai has been increasing labour charges every year. And in last 3-4 bills labour charges have been almost 50 % of bill amount. Periodic maintenance Charge(PMS ) was Rs 1050 in 2013, the same was Rs 1680 in last service. Nearly 60 % Increase in 4 years.

Average FE has been 12.8 kms/lit in city traffic & 100% AC
Best FE over long trip- 16.8 kms/lit

I am planning to keep this car for min 2 more years. After which she will go to my hometown Jhansi.
1 lac KM Pics

Last Bill-
Showing near 50 % split between Consumables and Labour charges
Attached Thumbnails
In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20170122_105703.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20161218_153951291.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20161221_193707001.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20161222_112741.jpg  

In love with my coral white Hyundai i-gen i20-img_20170212_155105916.jpg  

Last edited by jaspal singh : 12th February 2017 at 16:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks