Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 15:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The "White Knight" comes home - BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion EDIT: Sold!

Another milestone in the life of the White Knight, worth sharing with all.

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140515_090021.jpg
Old 24th June 2014, 12:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

The Whit Knight crossed another milestone a few days back.

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140619_175611.jpg

The car had developed some problems from the prolonged used over the last seven /eight months, so decided to have a visit to the service centre. The list of issues were as follows :-
a. One number plate light had fused.
b. The wiper blades required to be changed before the monsoon.
c. Rear door glass were stuck, they would not go down.
d. Some rattling noise was coming from the rear left door area.
e. The biggest of all, there was steering vibration while braking.

So took the car to the service centre on 20-06-2014.
#the fused bulb was replaced.
#both the wiper blades were changed, though the SA was insisting that the driver side wiper was OK.
#with some generous dose of some liquid spray and grease to the channels, the windows are operating fine.
#I don't know what they did but the rear left door noise is gone. I could see that they opened the rear seat.
#the front brake pads were replaced and the vibration is gone. Got the tyre rotation done as it was more than 5K from the previous rotation.
#all the fluids were checked and break fluid and power steering oil was topped-up. The mechanic also replaced some retention blocks which were missing.
# the car was handed over after proper washing and polish.

This was the first time that I was satisfied with the performance of the service centre. They did check everything that was reported and I did not have to interfere or intervene, though I kept a constant watch on what the mechanic was doing. The fellow went a step forward and replaced the retention blocks / buttons.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 10:17   #63
Senior - BHPian

The "White Knight" celebrated it's second birthday on 27th July. It being a Sunday, more than two hours were spent with the car giving it a proper wash at home. It has been raining almost on a daily basis during the month of July and I knew that the car would get dirty the moment I take it out, but still spent a lot of time and energy in giving it a clean look.

A couple of days later the car crossed 28K mark.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140729_120445.jpg
Old 28th August 2014, 16:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

The White Knight crossed 29K.

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140823_180632.jpg
Old 13th September 2014, 15:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Last time when I went for changing the brake pads of my Linea, I had noticed a circular from Fiat that allows a variation of 5000KM or 1.5 months for the Third Free Service. I used this oppurtunity to extend my third free servicing till the month of September. Went to FASS on 03/9/2014 for the third free servicing when the MID showed 29500KM.

The cost of servicing was as follows :-
Engine Oil (3.2ltr @ 517.54) - 1656.14
DSL Fuel filter with sensor - 1806.14
DSL Oil Filter - 360.53
Plug - Oil Sump - 68.42
Total - 3891.23
Vat - 544.77
Grand Total - 4436.00

However, for the last two or three days the "Check Glow Plug" warning used to come up whenever the car was started. After checking it was detected that the timer mechanism / control unit (not sure what it is called) was faulty and the spare was not available. Also the rubber bush on both the rear suspensions showed signs of wear and the same was also not available at the dealership.

Though the SA assured me that they would place an order for the parts on the same day and would also ensure that they are replaced as early as possible, but from what I have read about Fiat in the various forums, I was not quite satisfied. Plus I have a planned road trip at the end of this month, so on 04-9-2014 morning I decided to mail the issue to Fiat at PARTSHELPDESK dot INDIA at FIAT dot COM. My mail was sent at around 01:45PM and by 03:30 I received a call from the factory on my mobile enquiring about the issue. After hearing the details from me the person made a conference call with the dealer and obtained the order number, parts number and other details from their side and converted this order as an "Express Order" so that the spares reach the dealer at the earliest. During the whole conversation between the Fiat official and the dealership people, as instructed, I was a mute listener. This was a very pleasant surprise for me as I never expected an official from Fiat to directly interact with me as a customer and that to so soon after receiving a mail.

Both the spares were received at the dealership the next day by evening and the SA took the pain to call me to inform that they have received the spares. So on Monday afternoon (08-9-2014) I went to the FASS and the parts were promptly replaced in the car. The SA very quickly got the car washed before handing over the car to me. Thank you Fiat

I had to pay for the Thrust Rings (Rs. 436.00 + Labour Rs. 300.00 + Vat and Service Tax totalling to Rs. 773.00).
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

The car is nearing 30K and the stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres have come to the end of their life. I would not have changed the tyres for another 5K or so If I did not have have a drive to Goa coming up at the end of this month, specially with the monsoon still prevalent in many parts of the country. I was in extreme dilemma for the last fifteen days and ultimately took the plunge yesterday.

I had the Michelin 3ST and the Continental CPC2 in mind based on the reports in various forums. CPC2 is not available in my town and the only other tyres available at the various dealers in my town in 205/55/R-16 size were the Bridgestone Potenza G III and Yoko S Drive, so inspite of the huge cost decided in favour of the Michelin Primacy 3ST. The dealer qouted a price of Rs. 10,200 per tyre but after intervention of a friend working with Michelin, the dealer agreed at 9800 per tyre including WB and alignment.

The dealer refused to buy back my old tyres.
The set of Goodyear Eagle NCT5
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140923_065036.jpg

They have almost come to the end of their life. But the GT3 served me extremely well with only a single puncture in 30K and two years. Only irritation with these tyres was the huge noise that they created.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140923_065050.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140923_065106.jpg

The set of four Michelin Primacy 3ST 205/55/R-16 91W, meaning a speed limit of 168MPH or 240KMPH and load index of 615KG.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140922_182729.jpg

A close-up of the thread pattern.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140922_182742.jpg

A big thanks to moderator Mobike008 for a wonderful review of the 3ST in his Cruze thread, I had an inclination for this tyre from then itself.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2014 at 15:15.
Sommos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
so inspite of the huge cost decided in favour of the Michelin Primacy 3ST. The dealer qouted a price of Rs. 10,200 per tyre but after intervention of a friend working with Michelin, the dealer agreed at 9800 per tyre including WB and alignment.
Nice pick there, Sommos. Yes, I have seen mobikes review as well. I almost decided to go with Michelin Primacy 3ST during my Linea purchase but ended up with the stock Goodyear itself. I still have Michelin Primacy 3ST in my list for the next set, So I will be looking forward for your feedback after the Goa drive!

Any initial impressions?
Old 24th September 2014, 13:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nice pick there, Sommos. I still have Michelin Primacy 3ST in my list for the next set, So I will be looking forward for your feedback after the Goa drive!

Any initial impressions?
Thanks Arun.

Firstly, there is a mistake in my earlier post; 91W actually means a speed rating of 270KMPH. This was clearly an overkill and was not required as even a rating of U,H or V would have been sufficient, but only this one was readily available. I have no idea what extra effort/material goes into the tyre for this excessive speed rating and also whether it has any impact on the cost; logically it should have.

The tyres carry the code 1415 i.e. they are manufactured in April 2014.

Initial impression after driving within the city is that I'm overwhelmed by the absence of the huge noise that the stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5 used to make. The big "Thud" noise that the stock tyres used to make in potholes is also gone, the ride comfort has increased. I felt that the soft sidewalls of the Michelin would compromise on the handling, but it is not so, the car holds it's line perfectly in curves at 90-100 speed. The steering wheel has become slightly softer, I don't know if this is because of the alignment or the tyres.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2014 at 15:16.
Old 24th September 2014, 13:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Is the allowed variation 500 km or 5000km for the 3rd service ? 5000km appears too high and would stretch the oil change interval to 20000 km.

Is the variation allowed only for the 3rd service or any service ?
Old 25th September 2014, 08:12   #70
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to Long-Term Ownership Reviews.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is the allowed variation 500 km or 5000km for the 3rd service ? 5000km appears too high and would stretch the oil change interval to 20000 km.
Is the variation allowed only for the 3rd service or any service ?
Actually there is a variance allowed for all the three free services and the allowance limit varies for first, second & third service. The variance is allowed on two parameters KM and months, whichever is earlier. I was interested with the Third service only and hence read that portion very keenly.

Yes it is 5K and 1.5months, in my case the 24 months ended on 27 July and I extended it to first week of September. If your 3rd. service is done within max. 20K from 2nd. service the warranty continues to be valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Mod note: Thread moved to Long-Term Ownership Reviews.
Thanks, Sir.
Old 26th September 2014, 16:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

The White Knight crossed the 30K mark yesterday.

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20140925_090904.jpg
Old 10th November 2014, 16:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

The "White Knight" comes home - BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion

I had changed my tyres at around 30K KM from the OEM GoodYear Eagle NCT5 to Michelin Primacy 3ST. I could probably have carried on with the old OEM tyres for another 5K KM but decided otherwise only for the Goa trip. After completing the trip I thought it was appropriate to give a feedback on the new tyres.

Tyre / Road Noise : This is the greatest advantage that the Michelin Primacy 3ST provides over the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT 5. From the huge noise that the OEM tyres used to make, these tyres are absolutely silent and now, at times specially in the early morning hours, I enjoy driving the car with the windows rolled down.

Ride quality : The ride quality has increased considerable with the Primacy 3ST and the car now feel like gliding over the roads. During my Goa trip, though I was careful but still I could not avoid the potholes completely; there was a soft touch to the way the potholes were tackled. Even in the very bad section between Adilabad and Hinganghat there was no jarring sound and the tyres managed comfortably.

Handling : I always carried an impression that tyres with soft walls would compromise on the handling, but the Primacy 3ST has changed that thought completely. These tyres have phenomenal grip and the car stuck to the road surface like it was moving on rails. I felt safe while negotiating the ghat sections at considerable speed. The OEM tyres though had no problem in handling and probably this is one area where they can match the Primacy 3ST.

Steering Feel : This is one area where I feel let down by the Primacy 3ST. The immaculate feedback of the Fiat steering has become blunt. The steering has become softer than before and some people might like it as it is now easy to turn the car in tight situations, but I miss the tight feeling and the feedback to a large extent. I must confess that I could not understand the reason for this drastic change.

Grip : I have nothing to complain about the grip of the primacy 3ST tyres. I have not driven the car in wet conditions, so no views on that area. In dry conditions the rubber is softer compared to the hard OEM GoodYear, comfortable and grips well on all road surface. In a panic braking situation during the Goa tour I felt that the braking distance has reduced to some extent, but I cannot put a numerical figure to compare.

Other points :
a. I don’t think there is any change in the FE as the Goa trip gave a mileage of 17.XX KMPL; I have indeed obtained the same mileage in my earlier long trips also.
b. Maybe I’m wrong but during the Goa trip I felt that the GC has reduced to some extent as my car under body scratched on four different occasions where I thought that the car would pass.

Overall I'm happy with the performance of the Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres that actually cost a bomb at Rs. 40K (for four tyres). I have used Michelins for the first time and would certainly recommend this tyre to others.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 14:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Due to some emergency with my cousin’s health, had to make a dash for Durgapur, West Bengal. Train reservations were impossible at such short notice, so decided to go all the way by road. The route was familiar and have been discussed at length earlier in this thread, so I won’t do it again. I would only like to touch the changes that I’ve noticed about the road :

a. The road from Arang, CG to the border crossing is being widened to four lane; at least one side of the road is fully complete except for four patches where you have to cross through small towns like Pithora, Sankra, Basna and Saraipalli. This itself is an improvement from the bad roads that was there earlier, though one has to encounter many diversions in this streach.

b. The four lane road is complete and functional from CG-OR border to Sambalpur, where Bargar town has been by-passed and a toll booth has been erected outside the town. If you want to avoid the toll then drive straight through the Bargar town.

c. The portion of the NH6 from Sambalpur-Keonjhar till the JH border is being widened into four lane road.

Now the stats for the journey :

There was nothing new in this journey, the road was known and I've travelled upto Durgapur earlier in 2012; but this is the first time I've travelled such a distance all alone and covering 1150KM (approx) in 18:30 hours was remarkable. Another feat was the mileage achieved during the journey; the mileage of 19.2KMPL in the return journey is the highest that I've ever achieved in the Linea.

A. The Onward Journey stats.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150720_114139.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150720_114150.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150720_114204.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150720_114218.jpg

B. The Return Journey stats.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_072932.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_073039.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_073059.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_073118.jpg

C. Overall Stats.
The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_072813.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_072836.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_072901.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_072918.jpg

Position after this journey

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20150722_073152.jpg
Old 29th March 2016, 12:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

The White Knight crossed a major milestone.

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20160310_181435.jpg

The White Knight comes home | BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion | EDIT: Sold-img_20160310_181427.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks