Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 10:47   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!

Hi PVS,
I would like to know if you have got the underbody anti-rust coating done for your car.
Old 11th August 2018, 14:47   #32
PVS
BHPian

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up! - 66500 Kms

Wagon R VXI – 6th Year Ownership Report

It’s been close to 6 years that the tall guy Wagon R has been with us now.

WR has done around 66500 Kilometers now; a majority of its jaunts have been within Hyderabad city. There has been an occasional outstation trip too:
• a couple of trips to the Godavari and Visakhapatnam districts,
• a couple of them to Vijayawada,
• a few trips down the Bangalore highway to Nandyala, Kurnool, Anantapur and Bangalore
• a big trip involving 3750 Kilometers in Karnataka – Hassan, Sringeri, Chikkamagalur, Mangalore, Udupi, Shimoga, Chitradurga and back.

Talking of the ownership experience, it has been a relatively smooth experience so far sans one jarring note, when, on our way back to Hyderabad in the Karnataka sojourn circa 2016, the WR’s engine check light came on, near Chitradurga town. We were lucky that the WR managed to make it to the authorized Maruti dealer in town, without much fuss. The problem was diagnosed to a malfunctioning cooling fan, and due to the non-availability of spares at the dealer, we had to leave behind the car at the dealer, and continue our way back to Hyderabad, via Bellary by the KSRTC overnighter A/C sleeper bus. A few days later, I came back to Chitradurga with a friend, collected the car and headed back to Hyderabad.
Other than the Chitradurga hiccup, WR didn’t give any trouble, and continues to serve me faithfully, and I repay the compliment, by regular cleaning, check-ups, timely wheel alignment and addition of accessories deemed necessary by me.

What has been the total cost of ownership of the WR till date?

Total Cost of Ownership, in my case, is the sum of the money spent against the below heads:
• Cost of the car
• Cost of fuel
• Annual Insurance Costs
• Service Costs
• Cost of accessories
• Alloy Wheels
• Tyres
• Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balancing (Once in 4ooo Kilometers)
• 3 M – Car Care - Vehicle Anti Rust Underbody Protection + 3M Paint Sealant + Damping:
• Other sundry costs – PUC certificates, Car Shampoos, Dashboard Cleaner, Tyre Polish, Microfiber Towels et al.

Approximate Cost of Ownership over the 6 year period is as below:
Component Cost (INR)
Vehicle Purchase(August 2012) 489611
Petrol (August 2012 to July 2018) 299222
Insurance (2013 to 2018) 37688
Servicing Costs(2012 till date – 67421
All servicing at Maruti Authorized Workshops)
Alloy Wheels 20000
Bridgestone Tyres 13650
Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing 3000
RogerAb Thermoplastic Urethane
Buffer 6000
3M Paint Sealant 4146
3M 5 Year Underbody Antirust 3022
3M - Sound Deadening 7122
Roof Rack 4500
Car Battery 4800
Total (INR) 960182

Overall on-road Performance
After the WR had been fitted with Bridgestone Tyres in 2016, Neo Alloy wheels in 2017, and ROGERAB Thermoplastic Urethane on the 4 coil springs (in August 2016), the ride has become smoother, ground clearance has increased a bit, and the maneuverability has improved as well. I don’t really fret over speed breakers or potholes now.

City -
In the crowded city environs, with even centimeters of space at a premium, in the crowded thoroughfares the WR performs effortlessly, and thanks to its tall stance, and adequate visibility all around, I can effortless maneuver the vehicle in the city. The initial lag continues to suck big time, and I curse every time, I need to downshift, in order to scoot for a much precious gap in the chaotic city environs, or overtake that slow moving truck on the highways, however, post the initial lag, the engine opens up, and the performance is peppy.

Highways -
The WR doesn’t get to see much of highway action, its primary use being inside the city. However on all the trips that I have been so far, on the highway, the Wagon R goes about its job effortlessly, with speeds in the vicinity of 100 to 110KMPH being maintained without breaking a sweat. The rear seat continues to be bumpy, but with ROGERAB, those undulations are slightly less now.

In-cab noise
With a 3-pot motor running under the hood, the WR does tend to get noisy at higher speeds. I went in for 3M Sound deadening solution in Feb 2018. I got the roof and the four doors damped, and ever since, the ambient noise inside the cabin seems reduced. I tend to go further and damp the bonnet and the hatch door too.
The sound damping by 3M in the roof and the 4 doors has made the cabin relatively quieter, though the 3 pot motor does tend to get noisy at high speeds. I plan to get more sound-deadening inside the bonnet and the hatch to see, if I could make the cabin a bit more silent.

Good, Bad, Ugly

Among the “Good” factors, in the 6 year ownership, is the ease of maintenance, peppy performance and a practical little city car, which does its job with aplomb. I have become a familiar face at the neighborhood MASS, with a majority of the Service Advisors recognizing me and having a nice word or two to say about fine condition of the car.
The “Bad” factor is the lag in low speeds, which continues to be a bother, the occasionally troublesome reverse gear, and the Air Conditioning. The Air conditioning is effective now – and that came at a price though. I had to frequent the MASS for A/C top ups, and after multiple visits (twice a year), the SA looked up my vehicle service history record, and advised me to change the evaporator assembly. After the assembly got changed, the cooling has improved quite a bit now.
I am lucky enough not to face any “Ugly” experience with the WR so far. Yes, during the 2016 KA trip, the cooling fan stopped working, but the WR safely made it to the authorized MASS in Chitradurga town, so we were not inconvenienced to a great extent.

Fuel efficiency

I don’t top up the tank to get the approximate mileage figures, but I reckon the WR is giving a mileage of around 15 to 16 KMPL in city conditions with AC fully functional.

Other Items purchased for the WR:

• JOPASU Car Duster – Works like a charm
• Bluetooth receiver
• CrossBeats Mini Bluetooth Receiver with 3.5 mm Auxiliary Adapter
• Tyre Inflator
• Car Vacuum Cleaner
• Car Dashcam – Transcend Drive Pro 100
• Portable Car Jack
• Jumper Cables
• BreatheFresh Vayu Natural Air Purifier Bag – This one is to absorb the odors and fumes inside the cabin.
• Generic CBRNE Mesh Ventilation Back Rest with Lumbar Support – for comfortable seating.

The Road ahead
When we first set out to buy the Wagon R in 2012, the idea was to buy this for my parents, and I planned to take out a second car. 6 years down the lane, things have changed quite a bit. My father aged 75 no longer drives around and prefers to be chauffeured around. My mother prefers the convenience of Ola/UBER for her frequent trips in town. If all of us (self, wife, 2 kids, mom and dad) plan to head someplace, we hire an OLA SUV. It is convenient.
I do plan to keep the WR for a few years. Eventually, as and when I choose to upgrade my ride, the WR will continue to run as a trusted second car in the family.
I am signing off with a pictures of the WR as of today.
Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-_wr_1.jpg
The roof rack has been removed though, will fit it in the next long journey.

Last edited by PVS : 11th August 2018 at 14:53. Reason: Added a picture of the car
PVS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 05:41   #33
BHPian

However cons we pick if Wagon R, this has been one of those cars to bring a lot of happiness to a middle class family. My first car, first car I learnt to drive and appreciate these wonderful machines. Today it is not with us and when I see another maroon colour Wagon R on road it brings a wide smile on my face thinking of my very own.
Old 13th January 2019, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!

Hello All,

I have completed 5 years with my Wagon R Vxi, completed 46500 Kms.

The Only 2 accessories I have added is the Roger Ab in the suspension thanks to Nikhil of Madhus@Bangalore, the 2nd one is a Honeywell air purifier in the cabin.

The tyres are still OEM, Apollo 3G and still have life, I want to change to Michelin Energy XM2 soon. Exide OEM battery still healthy. Bulbs are all OE /stock.

My Service Schedule:

I have very regularly done a tyre rotation, wheel balancing and wheel alignment at 5000 - 5500 Kms. at Madhus. I have regularly changed Engine Oil and Engine oil filter at every 5000 Kms, I get it done in front of me in a friendly FNG in my neighbourhood, I source Engine oil from Amazon.in usually Helix and Oil filter from ESSAR Auto (MGP) in Bannerghatta Road. I changed spark plugs and vital fluids at 25000 Kms. I regularly change the cabin air filter every 6 months. I have changed 2 air filters ( engine bay) so far, one thanks to a rat.

I got the Bangalore traffic battle scars removed this week at Trend Auto Bangalore. Most importantly I have never given my car for any kind of service to any FNG or Maruti ASS or Maruti Dealer so far apart from the mandatory 3 free services with Rana Motors, Gurgaon when I was working in the NCR region in 2014.

I am a very happy MSL / Wagon R customer and I drive daily 56 Kms on weekdays to office and back.

I am planning to hold on for at least 5 more years till all the Metro civil work gets done in the area where I stay before I upgrade or change.

Sanjeev
HR26CE7337
Wagon R Vxi 2014
Old 17th October 2022, 19:24   #35
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!

I bought a pre-worshipped Wagon R 2021 ZXI 1.2 this year. Problem is it doesn't have any underbody protection at all. Once the bonnet is opened I can see the engine completely exposed . I fear that a flying stone or debris may cause serious damage to the engine bay. Is there any after market underbody protection I can fit on my car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks