Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 07:14   #1
PVS
BHPian

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!

WAGON R BUYING EXPERIENCE

We were searching for a suitable replacement for our 11-Year old Maruti Esteem. This car had served us faithfully over the years, yet it was becoming increasingly difficult for us to maintain her in a good condition, and we had to let her go.
The replacement car would primarily be meant for my retired parents so it had to be easy on the pocket and on maintenance too. At 6”2”, my father is a tall man so ease of ingress and egress were major considerations.

06th August 2012 - MONDAY

When we set out shopping, we had a couple of cars in mind, the TATA Manza, TATA Indica Vista and the Ford Classic. We first visited the TATA Motors showroom at Himayathnagar, Hyderabad and quickly went through the On-Road prices for the Manza and the Vista. The lesser-than-expected exchange price offered for our Esteem (Rs 25,000/-), coupled with the absence of any corporate discounts, made us put these two cars on the backburner. A short drive down the Himayathnagar main road, and we pulled up into Mithra Agencies’, one of the authorized MSIL dealers in Hyderabad & Secunderabad.

From the MSIL stable, we had only one car in consideration – the Wagon R (called WR henceforth); primarily due to its tall stance. I must admit that personally, I wasn’t even keen on the WR, but it was my mom who kept on suggesting that the WR must be given a consideration – so we stopped to check it out.

The On road price difference between the two variants Lxi and Vxi was around 30,000/-. The additional features on offer for the Vxi were quite a few: all four power windows, internally adjustable Power ORVMs, factory fitted ICE, fog lamps, rear wash & wipe with a demister, and bigger tyres. I was very keen on looking at Vxi + ABS, for an additional Rs 20,000/-, but the 4-month wait for this option was simply not worth it. We collected all the information and went back home, to revalidate our decision.

Almost each one of us (My Parents, Wife & I) had reached a favorable consensus on the WR, so we called up the showroom for a test ride, which was made available for us within the next 20 minutes.

With me in the Driver’s seat, dad in the front passenger seat, mom, wife and the two kids in the rear, we set out on a short drive on the Vxi. I was skeptical if the WR would be spacious enough for 4 adults and 2 kids, but was proven wrong – the back benchers were more than happy with the seating space and the leg room. And I was impressed with the SUV-like driving position – a very welcome break from those years of bending in to get inside the Esteem. By the time we pulled up into our parking lot, all of us were sold on the WR.

We were unable to decide on the color of the car so I called up the Service advisor, and she offered to take us to the dealer stockyard at Nacharam, to check out the colors available. It was past 6 in the evening when we reached the stockyard. A majority of the new WRs’ was parked in a basement parking lot, which had less than adequate lighting – and this made it tough for us to zero down on a particular color. Black was totally ruled out and Blue also didn’t generate much enthusiasm. Chocolate Brown looked to be quite promising and we were almost sold out on that color, but when we stepped up to the first floor open parking lot, and saw the same color on a Ritz, we were disappointed. Chocolate Brown didn’t look all that attractive when looked at in natural light. We finally settled for Silver.

07th August 2012 - TUESDAY

Dad & I drove down to the Showroom to complete the payment formalities, and also to oversee the fitment of accessories in the car. By this time, the vehicle had arrived from the stockyard, and we stepped down into the basement parking lot to have a look at the VIN. I had the VIN decoder sequence in hand, and the last two alphabets of the VIN were a ‘B’ and ‘C’ which meant that the vehicle was manufactured in February 2012 – a 6 month old vehicle, which was acceptable. The ODO also showed 26 Kms, which was not bad either. The car checked out just fine.
Before I proceed further, let me put down the on-road price for the VXI, mentioning all the relevant components:

Ex Showroom Price – Hyderabad - 416347
Handling Charges - 4200
Life Time Tax at 12% - 49962
Insurance - 13886
Freebies - 9000
3rd Year Warranty - 2129
AutoCard (Loyalty Program) - 337
Unknown Component - 2750

TOTAL ON ROAD PRICE - 489611

The discounts that were offered to us are as follows:
Corporate Discount - 4000
Manufacturer Discount - 25000
Freebies (Accessories) - 9000

For our 1999-manufactured Maruti Esteem VX, True Value offered us Rs 50,000/-. Finally we ended up paying Rs 3, 95,000/- for the vehicle. We got the following accessories installed:
Leather Seat Covers - 4500
Rear Parking Sensors - 3900
Mud Flaps - 250
Floor Mats - 390 (Approx)
Steering Wheel Grip (250)
Reverse Horn - 100

I was dead against the installation of the reverse horn, but dad insisted and I gave in considering the fact that this car would primarily be used by him!!

2nd Vehicle Life Tax

I already had a Honda Activa registered in my name. That means, for registering this car, I would need to shell out an additional 2% Life Tax, which was working out to be Rs 8237/-. To avoid this, we decided to transfer the ownership of the Activa to my wife, so that I continue to have a single vehicle registered against my name. This process consumed some time, with the required documentation to be put in place, and the wife’s signatures taken. This process was taken care of by an agent to whom I paid Rs 1200/-, at the dealership itself.

08th August 2012 – WEDNESDAY

Having checked our Almanac for an auspicious time, we were finally ready to take delivery of the vehicle after 11:00 am. I took out a print out of the PDI Checklist only to conveniently forget to put it in my bag, before leaving our place, much to my consternation. Nevertheless, I was able to recollect the key points in the checklist:
-A thorough inspection of the vehicle for any dents/scratches.
-Get a detailed walk-through of the various features of the car by the company technician.
-Duplicate keys – FA Kit, Spare Tyres and others.
Our Esteem, which had faithfully served us for nearly 7 years finally bid good bye to our home, as we drove down to the showroom. At the showroom, while Dad completed the formalities with True Value, for the handover of the esteem, Mom & I waited for the delivery process to commence.

At the basement, our Silver Wagon R was all set for delivery. I went through the accessories check list to make sure all the accessories were in place. The reverse parking sensors took time to understand, but I could get a hang of them quickly, and I must say that they can be very helpful in tight parking spaces.

The technician came in, and both of us verified that the Chassis Number, Engine Number and Battery number present on the vehicle matched those present in the Service Manual. He then gave me a quick walk through on the various features of the WR. I couldn’t understand the importance of the rear fog lamp though. This might be useful in fog-like conditions, but for most part, I doubt if I would be using it, and one wrong move by a careless biker, right into my bumper, and this light will go for a toss! I liked the [secretive] storage space underneath the front passenger seat, and the theatre-like dimming effect on the front and rear cabin lights was interesting too!

Minor Hiccup

The LORVM was dangling loose from its assembly, and that was a cause of concern. The technician gently nudged the mirror inside the assembly and it fit in snugly. I am still concerned about this though, and plan to observe it for a couple of days. As for now, I plan to drive in the city with the LORVM closed.

We waited for some time before New India Assurance gave me a call on my mobile and quickly walked me through the details of the insurance policy. As explained earlier, the annual premium worked out to be around 13.5 K.
At around 01:30 pm, we had the customary Pooja performed on the vehicle and all set to head out. A lady who was in charge of the overall delivery came down with a check list and a box of sweets. She confirmed
-- I found the vehicle to be in a good condition and
-- The delivery time was as expected (1 Hour). Though we were in the showroom for close to 2 hours, the actual time for the delivery of the vehicle was an hour and the remaining time was for disposal of the old vehicle – I agreed
--I understand completely the various features of the vehicle.
Wishing me good luck with the car, she went back on her way. We picked up one of the service advisers and drove to a nearby petrol bunk for a complimentary 5 litre petrol. On top of that I added some more, we drove back, dropped off the service adviser, and gingerly made our way back home.

Post noon, as my elder kid got off her school bus and walked back home, she was super excited to see the new car and let out squeals of joy. We gave her a short ride in the car, and she was excited to the hilt. Later in the day, the remote control keys would become a constant source of entertainment for her, and I promised that whenever we all head out, she would be given the honour of unlocking the car.

Overall Experience with the Buying Process

I was satisfied with the overall experience. The sales personnel (Ms. Suvarna & Mr. Kishore) were more than helpful during the entire process and did go out of their way occasionally to speed up the process.
I have only one grouch though.

When we were heading back after having a look at the cars in the stockyard, we were informed that there would be an additional bonus of Rs 5,000/-. Naturally we were pleased. However during the time of payment we were informed that there was no official communique yet from MSIL, so we would have to go ahead and pay Rs 5K. If at a later date, the communique does come through, we would be refunded the amount through a cheque drawn on my name.

Though I do understand the enthusiasm of the sales personnel in trying to close a deal, it would have been better, had the folks confirmed this discount with the official communique in hand.

Other than this, I had no problems whatsoever. All our queries were answered with patience, and I would have no problems recommending this dealer to anyone wanting to buy a Maruti car in the vicinity of Himayathnagar and its neighbourhoods, in Hyderabad.

Wish List/ Things to Do
-- Alloy wheels for the car. This would take some time.
-- Portable Vacuum Cleaner, Portable Compressor and Jack and a Fire extinguisher. Saw an offer on Indiatimes Shopping today, advertising a complete car care package for about 2.2K. Need to check it out as well as other options.
13th August 2012 - 500 Kms Done

I have taken the car out to Kurnool on the Weekend ( Around trip of around 500 Kms) followed by a regular home to work commute. Let me put down my experiences with the WR on the highway.

Highway Cruising
WR is a comfortable highway cruiser. You can do speeds in the vicinity of 120 Kmph with absolutely no problems whatsoever on this car. I did push this car to a max speed of 140 Kmph, but then with no ABS, no AirBags and kids inside the car, I definetely wouldn't want to do those speeds over a sustained amount of time. I was more than happy sticking to 100 +/- 5 Kmph. A dead pedal is a must, and cruise control, even if offered as an option, would be very much welcome!!

Luggage Space
With 4 adults/2 Adults and 2 Kids travelling in the car, space can be a premium on those short weekend trips. The max this car can swallow is a medium sized suitcase and a medium sized duffel bag. Anything above that would be a squeeze, and if you have no options left, you would have to pile on additional baggage, at the risk of blocking out the rear windscreen - you would then have to solely depend on the RVMs - I wouldn't recommend it! -

Overtaking
Overtaking can sometimes be a pain - there is a considerable amount of lag in the 3rd gear, and I had to literally floor the pedal, and the WR would respond after an initial lag of 3 to 4 seconds - leaving me no options, but to downshift to the 2nd gear to overtake. This continues to be one of my main complaints, and I so miss the responsiveness of the Esteem here!

Maneuverability
This car is a breeze to drive in the city, thanks to its excellent maneuverability - you could nudge this car into tight spaces, with absolutely no problems at all - and with both the RVMs open, you get a good view of the traffic around you, and can can take quick decisions, if required.

Others
Air Con is effective, and cools the cabin effectively. You would need to set the blower to position 3 or 4, when driving in a vehicle parked under the sun, but after some time, you can reduce it to position 1 or 2. Headlights are more than adequate and the low bean illuminates the road ahead very effectively. ICE is adequate - I am not a big time music afficonado (used to be, during college, but have moved on since:-( ), and the factory fitted ICE sounded ok. About the FE - folks at the showroom have claimed that 15.1 Kmpl is standard in city conditions - I am yet to check it out myself. Total fuel bill for the up & down trip to Kurnool came to Rs 2500/- and I still have adequate gas left in the tank to continue for a couple of days at least before refilling again.

Pictures to Follow:
My Comments on the pictures

Pic 1) - The WR is all set to head out of the showroom.
Pic 2) - The WR's rear profile. Rear demister and rear wash and wipe are now standard on the VXi and a welcome addition indeed!
Pic 3) - A close-up of the rear parking sensors and the rear fog lamp. Not quite sure how long the rear fog lamp will stay intact, given the crowded city environs that this WR will spend a majority of its time on!!
Pic 4) An additional cabin light at the rear is very welcome. Both of these dim theatre style.
Pic 5) - Doors open real wide - a very big plus.
Pic 6) - Additional [secretive] storage space underneath the front passenger seat.
Pic 7) - The 'K'- Series Engine that powers the WR. Battery is from Exide.
Pic 8) - A closer look at the headlamp assembly.
Pic 9) - Stock Tyres on the WR.
Pic 10) - Space can be a premium on this car. The black bag blocking out the view of the rear windshield from the driver's seat is a strict No-No.
Pic 11) - Factory fitted Nippon ICE - Plays a single CD, FM/AM, has an AUX port, but no USB.
Pic 12) - Bottle Holder for the front passenger. You have one for the driver as well.

Thanks for your patient reading. Comments/Questions most welcome. The first servicing for the Tall Guy is due after 1000 Kms or 1 month, whichever happens earlier. I have a short out-of-town trip coming up on the WR.
Will continue updating this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5508.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5522.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5521.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5523.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5524.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5529.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5532.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5527.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5533.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5596.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5531.jpg  

Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!-img_5525.jpg  

Last edited by PVS : 14th August 2012 at 08:01. Reason: Since this thread has been moved to the Assembly Line Section, I am editing the title
PVS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 09:44   #2
BHPian

Re: A Tall Boy Comes Home - Wagon R Initial Ownership Report

Great great! Wonderful buy.

I am bit skeptical abt your claim, especially the heights you mentioned "I was skeptical if the WR would be spacious enough for 4 adults and 2 kids, but was proven wrong – the back benchers were more than happy with the seating space and the leg room."

WR is a very practical and headache free car for typical indian family.
What are the differences you find w.r.t. esteem? I mean the pulling power/torque etc. I do Not mean differences like PS etc since a next gen and new car would anyways feel much better.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:17   #3
tud
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase PVS.

Btw, how does the AP RTO pull out your current vehicle ownership records? Is it by PAN number or something? Or is the AP RTO records so precise that they can track you by your name and address?
Old 10th August 2012, 19:11   #4
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Great great! Wonderful buy.
Thanks Subscrive!

Quote:
I am bit skeptical abt your claim, especially the heights you mentioned "I was skeptical if the WR would be spacious enough for 4 adults and 2 kids, but was proven wrong – the back benchers were more than happy with the seating space and the leg room."
When we went out for a test drive, my wife, mother and 2 kids (the first one is 5 1/2 years old and the 2nd one is 1 1/2 years old) sat on the back seats. So essentially 2 ladies, a child and a toddler in the back seats. I checked with them, if they found anything amiss, after having being used to the Esteem's back bench. Nopes, they were as comfortable as in the esteem, and the easy of gettting in and out was a big bonus!

Quote:
WR is a very practical and headache free car for typical indian family.
Yes it is!!

Quote:
What are the differences you find w.r.t. esteem? I mean the pulling power/torque etc. I do Not mean differences like PS etc since a next gen and new car would anyways feel much better.
The first difference is the ride height. Getting in and out of the WR is much much easier compared to getting in and out of an Esteem.
Power windows in the Esteem were a big headache and I hope I do not face the same set of issues with the WR.

Headlights on the WR appear to be quite bright and effective - cannot say the same with the Esteem.

About the pulling power and the torque, I had absolutely no complaints with the Esteem, and even after 11 years, the car accelarates beautifully, and is absolute fun to drive.

Not quite sure if the WR would have the same pulling power, since I have not yet put it through its paces yet. I am heading out for a weekend trip, so will get to know more.
Old 10th August 2012, 19:15   #5
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Congrats on your new purchase PVS.
Thanks tud!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Btw, how does the AP RTO pull out your current vehicle ownership records? Is it by PAN number or something? Or is the AP RTO records so precise that they can track you by your name and address?
Not quite sure about this; my assumption is they will go by the name and address.
Old 24th August 2012, 23:20   #6
PVS
BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR VXi Ownership Report. EDIT: 6 years up!

24th August 2012 - The Registration Experience

Got in touch with Mithra, and got the number of an agent who would help me with the registration process. Reached the RTO Office at Moosaram Bagh at 10:45 and caught up with the agent. I joined the queue of people waiting to be photographed by an RTO staffer. After about 15 minutes in the queue, the agent appeared with a sheaf of papers (containing Forms 20, 21 & 22, Temporary Registration Certificate, Proof Of Insurance, Tax & Invoice form) and a green colored receipt for Rs 625/-. Finally my turn came up and I affixed my signature on the electronic scroll pad, and that was it.

The agent directed me to head to the Nagole RTO office, where the vehicle would be inspected and then, the registration process would be deemed complete, from my end.

The inspection process at the Nagole RTO was pretty quick. At the area earmarked for registration, I pulled up and handed over my papers to an inspector seated behind a desk. He quickly went through papers, and handed them over to one of his "assistants" who came to the vehicle and etched the chassis number on the papers. A "sum" of Rs 50/- was extracted for this. That is about it. Now, I wait for the RC and my number.

985 Kms Completed - The Experience so far

Around 400 odd Kms has been on the highway and the remaining in the city. As has been reported by many others, the plus points of this car are:
  • Excellent maneuverability and good ride height.
  • Effective A/C. Never felt the need to set the knob beyond '2'.
  • Good rear seat space. 2 adults and a child have been accommodated with ease in the back seat.
  • Bright headlights give effective illumination during the night.
And the minus points:
  • Minimal luggage space
  • Horn which does get jarring at times.
  • Pathetic response from the K10 motor at low RPMs. In choc-a bloc city traffic, even in the 2nd gear, I would have to floor the accelerator real hard to get the car going. But once past 2000 rpm, the motor springs to life.
  • Engaging the reverse gear is still an issue.
Haven't really checked up on the FE yet. Will be turning in the car for its first servicing within a few days - and will start tracking the FE.

Last edited by PVS : 24th August 2012 at 23:21.
PVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Congratulations PVS on the blue eyed boy.

We have two blue eyed boy in our family. One owned by me purchased at Varun Motors Banjara hills(Bakers Chocolate) and the other owned by my dad which was purchased from Mithra Agencies at Hyderabad. It was also a silver color.

As I was reading through your ownership report, It was like the experience that I had when we purchased our waggy from the same showroom. Incidentally even the supervisor who sold the car to was Kishore.

The Fuel efficiency claimed is exactly right. In-fact I use the fuel log android app to record each fill and it has always turned out that for a fill of 2000/- @ 75.42/lt, the vehicle runs for 420 KM. Approximately a mileage of 15.84 with 100% AC in city traffic.
vijay.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 21:18   #8
BHPian

Congrats PVS, on the 'Silverish' Blue eyed Boy. It's indeed a great family car to be around. Regarding the reverse horn, I read somewhere that it's banned. It will be good if you can add a On/Off switch.

A friend of mine is probably on his way to book a Wagon R Lxi CNG. It will be a great help if you can let me know what all Freebie did the dealer offer.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:03   #9
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Congrats PVS, on the 'Silverish' Blue eyed Boy. It's indeed a great family car to be around.
Thanks Arunshek!
Quote:
Regarding the reverse horn, I read somewhere that it's banned. It will be good if you can add a On/Off switch.
Here, in Hyderabad, at least I did not come across cops pulling over motorists having a reversal horn. Yes, if they do start taking notice, probably I would get it disconnected.

Quote:
A friend of mine is probably on his way to book a Wagon R Lxi CNG. It will be a great help if you can let me know what all Freebie did the dealer offer.
Though I do not have the complete list of freebies offered by the dealer (worth around Rs 9000/-), here is what I could recollect:
  • Leather Seat Covers
  • Rear Parking Sensors
  • Floor Mats
  • Steering Wheel Grip
  • Perfume
  • Reverse Parking Horn
Since your friend is going for an Lxi, He can ask for a music system as well.
Will keep you posted once I get hold of that list of freebies/accessories.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:33   #10
PVS
BHPian

EDIT - First Service Inspection -1160 Kms - WAGON R Initial Ownership Report

27th AUGUST 2012 - 1160 Kms - The First Service Inspection

As per the Owners manual, within one month of the purchase or on completion of 1000 kms on the ODO (whichever comes earlier), you would need to turn over the vehicle for the free of cost, First Inspection. The car had reached 1160 kms, so turned up at the Mithra Showroom near RTC Cross Roads, at around 08:30 am for the service inspection.

Pretty soon, a service advisor came by, and suggested we take a quick test drive round the block. Of fine, and I hopped on to the passenger seat while he took over.
At the end of the test round, he pointed out the necessity of adding floor matting, and a reflective film. I was a bit skeptical about the film, especially against the backdrop of the Supreme Court Judgement, but nevertheless, gave my consent.

At the accessories section, I zeroed in on a floor matting that cost Rs 2500, while the Sun Film was approximately Rs 2000/-. The accessories guy also suggested an anti glar film on the front windscreen, which would cut down the glare of the oncoming headlights, and increase night time visibility. I agreed to that also, and the total bill for the accessories was finalized at Rs 7000/-

The Service adviser did a once over of the car, noted the absence of any scratches, and dents, and asked me to come back to pick up the car at around 1600 hours. I should have asked a ride back home, but nevertheless, there was adequate public transport available from the garage to my home, so I reached home pretty quick.

Headed back to the garage and inspected the vehicle to make sure it was cleaned properly, and there were no damages. Completed the paper work, took the gate pass, and was just a couple of minutes away from the garage, when I noticed that the tell-tale light on the A/C knob was flickering, even when the A/C was off, and the blower was off too.

Reversed the car back into the garage, called up the SA, and asked him to check it out. We again went on a test drive, and the problem was replicated. The SA quickly took the car inside, and on consultation with the in house electricians, came back and asked me to get back the vehicle tomorrow for a detailed check up.

This morning (28th August 2012), I again went back to the garage. Surprisingly, the flicked on the A/C knob did not appear. And even with the SA on board, we could not replicate the problem. Partially convinced that this was not a recurring issue, I started driving back home, when I realized another issue. The speedo had crossed 25 Kmph, but the central locking had not yet kicked in. Usually, as soon as the car crosses 25 Kmph, all the doors get locked automatically.

Drove the car back to the garage, and the security guy, was really surprised. Called the SA again, and apprised him of the issue. We again took a test drive, and sure enough, the doors were not getting locked,. The SA requested more time to look into the matter, so I headed back home.

Towards the evening, I got a call from the SA saying that the flickering issues was fixed, and the central locking was working fine. Reached the garage at 1830 hours, and took a quick ride inside the vehicle. True, the flicker on the A/C know was missing, and the central locking was working fine as well.

Finally, having checked that everything was working fine, I completed the formalities and drove back.

To summarize - though problems were reported, the service adviser was very helpful, and took every initiative to solve the problem. Though I was disappointed with the niggling issues that cropped up, I am satisfied by the response of the Service personnel. But If it at all I were to give a rating, I would rate the overall experience - "Unsatisfactory".
Old 29th August 2012, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post

And the minus points:
  • Minimal luggage space
  • Horn which does get jarring at times.
  • Pathetic response from the K10 motor at low RPMs. In choc-a bloc city traffic, even in the 2nd gear, I would have to floor the accelerator real hard to get the car going. But once past 2000 rpm, the motor springs to life.
  • Engaging the reverse gear is still an issue.
Haven't really checked up on the FE yet. Will be turning in the car for its first servicing within a few days - and will start tracking the FE.
Now I know that the daily wrestling with my Alto K10's reverse gear is not an isolated incident and seems to be a larger design flaw! I feel like tearing my hair out everytime I think the reverse has engagaged only to hear the slight grinding noise to discover that its not slotted perfectly. Hope the MSIL folks take note.

The K10 engine needs some revving and thw WR being heavier than the Alto its got more to lug. Do try and not let the revvs fall below 1.5k and you should be fine. Congrats btw on your new acquisition, the WR sure is a great family buy.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:41   #12
BHPian

Hi!
Congratulations for your new car & wish you miles of enjoyable motoring. I had used a Wagon -R from 2005 to 2011 for 45 k km. It was absolutely trouble free. Current car has a 3 pot motor & should be niosy than the old Wagon-R. How noisy is it & is it a worrying factor who is used to refined petrol motors?

Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 21:02   #13
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi!
How noisy is it & is it a worrying factor who is used to refined petrol motors?
Thanks
Thanks for your wishes Chitta. Yes, the 3-pot motor does tend to sound noisy, but then, once the car gets going, and with the A/C turned on, and the ICE functioning, I hardly hear any noise - and no, its not at all a worrying factor, as far as I am concerned.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent choice PVS.

Knowing your height, I can imagine your parents being equally tall so i would say a great car for city with perfect ingress and egress.Waggie is also known to last forever so reliability is absolutely given.

Wish your parents a wonderful and trouble free ownership.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 11:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and honest review, @PVS. Though we might not have met, I do remember seeing your posts in the past.

I am glad that MSIL has created more leg room at the rear, which was the Achilles Heel of the earlier WR. I was one of the first buyers and had suggested to them on their online portal to put sliding rails under the rear seats, similar to the ones in the front. This would give the user a choice of either legroom or luggage space. But they promptly got back saying that it was not possible as it would foul with the reclining mechanism in the rear seats, which was a valid point indeed.

But as they seem to have removed that feature, they ought to have given the sliding rails. It is disappointing that one cannot carry enough luggage. It looks like they've implemented my suggestion in the Ertiga alone.

My model has lots more luggage space, and the rear seats are also 50:50 folding, facilitating more luggage. But only knee room is lacking on the rear seats. However, the engine has better low end torque than the new K 10. Only gear shift is notchy even after 11 years.

Despite all the above, I still love my Waggie.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks