Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 14:23   #1
BHPian

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms

I apologize for the lengthy post. Please skip to the ownership details if you are not interested in the flashback section
May 2008
Me: Dad I want my own vehicle. Am going into final year and you promised Me one.
Dad: fine. Take the Verna. We are not using it anyway so you can use it fully.
Me: I can’t afford the petrol bills. The mileage is pathetic. I can’t drive it daily
Dad: son, listen carefully. You cannot afford to even buy a single tea on your own so I know very well that you cannot afford the petrol bills. Use the car whenever you want. There will always be full tank petrol when you take the car out.
Me: (jumping with joy on the inside) with a neutral face- ok I will think about it.

Fast forward to a week later
Me: I need a bike. I don’t want a car
Dad: are you crazy!! I am giving you a sedan with unlimited petrol and you are refusing it?? And there is no ways I am getting you a bike.
Me: I want a bike period.

Mom: to Dad-get him what he asks for. Why do you want to make him sad?
To me- tell which bike you want. We will get one for your birthday.

Me: (pushing my luck) I want the Yamaha r1.
Mom: that new sports bike? Ok fine. Go test drive and confirm. We will pay the booking amount next week
Dad and sis: are you crazy. He wants that imported sports bike costing 14+ lakhs!!!
Mom: OMG!! Anand there is a limit to everything (with a stern voice). Get a normal bike now and we will get that imported bike after you finish college!!
Dad: (now he is really pissed) you are the one spoiling him. Do whatever you people want.

Sometime in 2009:

Me: that sports bike I was talking about last year. When are we getting it?
Mom: if you pass engineering we will go pay cash the next day itself.
Dad: consider this offer too. If you pass I shall get you a Honda civic, top end and I shall give you 3 lakhs to modify it. Please don’t buy the bike.
Me: ok I will let you people know

July 2008-july 2009
Got an apache 160 fi (r15 for too small for someone who is 6 feet 2 inches)
Rode the bike like there was no tomorrow. a big list of modifications followed - read as fatter tires. Dual FFe's etc. one year was riding bliss

July 13 2009
Went for a ride with my friends to vandalur zoo. Had fun and while we were about to start I say to my friend these exact words “my right leg is paining. Don’t know why. You ride. I will be the pillion"

1.30-1.45 pm: Vandalur- kelambakkam road (state highway).

My friend was maintaining a steady speed of 55 KMPH when a truck driver decided to change lanes without signaling. My friend had no other choice than to hit the brakes and then the bike started skidding. A few seconds later I was sitting on the central median with blood all over my right leg. I roll up my jeans to see what happened and all I see is bone, the muscle has been burned away. I was then put in a share auto and taken to chettinad hospital nearby

After first aid I was shifted to my cousin sister’s hospital in RA puram for surgery. The surgery completed at 9pm. My results came out at around 10pm. I had passed. Finally I was an engineer. A few minutes later the doctor comes to see me.
Me: will I be able to ride again?
Doc: be happy if u can walk properly again
Me:

Damn!!! (There goes the R1)

Dec 2009:
Got joining date from CTS and wanted a car for commuting.
Me: Dad that civic you promised
Dad: no ways. I am not getting you anything fast. 16 bhp and you are limping now. I can’t imagine what will happen if I give you a fast car. Forget it.
Me: but how will I go to office. I can’t go by bus. The leg will start swelling in bus (and more emotional blackmail).
Dad: fine. I will get a car. But not a civic. And it has to be a diesel. And it has to be a maruti
Me: (with a sad face- there goes the civic and those 17 inch wheels and free flow.) ok. Swift is fine.

Cars India showroom - December 2009
Dad: does the swift diesel have abs and air bags?
SE: sir vdi has abs option but no airbags.
Dad: fine. I’d like to book a swift zxi then. That has airbags right?
Se: yes sir.
Me: I am going to start earning and I want to take care of the fuel bills on my own so I want a diesel. Book the vdi abs.
Dad: you are incorrigible. Turning to the S.E- swift vdi abs. what colors are available for immediate delivery?
Se: sir swift has minimum 3 months waiting period. Why don’t you see the Ritz?
Dad: ok. Same engine etc blah...
Fine give me a Ritz vdi abs model. Silver color.
Se: sir abs version will take more than a month.
Dad: I don’t know why you people have a showroom. Book the vdi model
Me: smiling nambiar style. Cool a powerful diesel!!!(Started thinking about alloys tires music system etc)

And now the ownership part!!

I took delivery of the car on December 24th 2009 and till date she has been with me through thick and thin. Not a day has passed without her.

For the first 2 months I was very careful while driving and was quiet pleased with the performance and stability and mileage. With the stock tire I extracted more than 18kmpl from her.

Trip to pondy:
One fine sat morning I had to leave to pondy for some personal work and took ritzy on her first proper highways- the ecr. Initially she was doing ok. But as the speeds increased she became nervous. She felt extremely unstable. I was very disappointed. In pondy I made a decision. Need new tires and it has to be 15 inch rims.
Monday morning I went to haute car zone in omr and purchase Ava alloys (set of 5) and 5 Yokohama avs decibel 195/60/r15 tires.
I take the next two days off from office. Filled up diesel and called up my Dad.
Me: I am going for a drive. Won’t be home for 2 days
Mom and Dad: are you running away with your gf? Please come home. We will talk. Don’t do anything stupid. We accept your love. If you want we will get you 2 engaged in next muhurtam.
Me: are you 2 crazy?? I do not have a GF!! And i am not running away for heaven’s sake!! Will you please stop this nonsense!!
Mom and Dad: Oh then ok. Be safe. I will transfer money to your account. Stay in a good hotel and eat properly. Call if you need anything.

Then started the first of the many journeys that me and ritzy have taken together.

I decided I shall go to my sisters’ place in theni. And boy o boy. Was I in for a big surprise!!!

Things I noticed about ritzy in that drive (all the below points have been repeated in all Ritz reviews)
Pros:
1. Power power and more power. More than enough for our highways. (But a dieseltronics box is due in next month)
2. With new shoes she just grips like a leech.
3. Visibility is superb on long drives.
4. Excellent comfort for the driver.

Cons:
1. Braking is not that good. It works but it makes you work too!!!
2. Ride is a little stiff because of the tire upgrade
3. Plenty of blind spots!!

Till this day ritzy has never failed me, ever.

THE OWNERSHIP DETAILS:
Alternatives considered:
None. Went in to buy the swift but since the waiting period was unacceptable went in for the Ritz Vdi.

Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership:
The booking experience was very smooth. We faced no problems as such. Just a hours delay while taking the car. The PDI was done by dad. He had a list of things to check and till this date I have a doubt whether it is the teamBHP’s PDI check list. He denies this to the core. He says he does not follow teamBHP at all but all the teamBHP reviews are downloaded in his laptop!

On-road price, discounts etc.:
OTR it was around 5.5 lakhs. Got the sun film, pioneer head and 4 Sony speakers free.

Usage:
The car is used only by me. Initially the car had a very high running- around 70 kms a day. And once I shifted office to Tidel Park the usage became very low. 51000 kms in 930 days is an average of 55 kms per day.

Exterior styling & design:
Much has been talked about the styling of the car. But the car has grown on me.

Overall build quality and fit & finish:
The car is typical maruti. Very flimsy and light. If I lean too hard on the door panels they cave in which gives me a mini heart attack.

Interior design, quality, space and comfort:
The interior is bigger than the swift but not as big as figo or indica vista. It is adequate for 4 normal sized adults. The comfort level is higher for the driver and the front passenger than for the people sitting on the back seat. The design is ergonomic and the best thing about this car is the positioning of the gear lever. It is extremely comfortable once you get used to it.

AC:
The ac is effective even during the hot summers of Chennai. But the flow of air is restricted. If the air vents are turned directly towards the person he/she is chilled to the bones. But the cabin takes some time to cool.

Engine performance & drivability:
Inside the city it is ok to drive. The lag does interfere quite a bit in bumper to bumper traffic but it is nothing to complain about.
On the highways the car has enough Power to sustain speeds of 120-130. Short bursts of speeds higher than this are possible. (I do not exceed 100-110 on our highways.)

Fuel efficiency:
Normal diesel- 15/18(city/highways)
Shell diesel – 16.xx/20.xx (city/highways)
Best mileage in city- 18
Best mileage on highways- 23
Both the above best mileage figures were achieved using shell diesel.
Worst mileage in city- 12(Bad fuel and heavy traffic coupled with bad clutch)
Worst mileage on highways-15(Emergency driving. Please do not ask about the speeds touched. Used a Petes box for this drive.)

Suspension & ride quality, Handling, on-road behavior and grip levels:
The suspension is tuned for comfort and the grip levels are safe for a sedate driver in stock form. My car runs on 195/60/r15 MRF zlo’s. The grip levels are very good and the comfort is better than my previous yokohamas. The handling has improved because of the 15 inch rims but it is still a tall hatchback which rolls quite a bit. On the straight roads the car is rock stable at speed.
The only thing which I do not like in the car is the braking. The car stops. That’s about it. No feel from the brake pedal. The pedal feels wooden.

I have faced some rattling issues but all of them are due to my mistake. My spare full size alloy is not bolted down and this can sometimes cause some irritating sounds from the luggage area. Apart from that there are no rattling issues (touch wood)

Major parts changed:
Clutch assembly at 45000 kms. Would have lasted another 5k min but I wanted to get them changed before I went on a long drive to my home town. The brake pads were also changed at the same time for safety sake.

Costs:
Alloy + tires -> 20000+ (20000*2) - 2 sets of tires
Fuel- Taking 15kmpl as the average mileage and Rs46 as the diesel cost: Rs156400
Hellas: 10000
Head light upgrades: 2000
Seat covers: 5000
Service costs: 40000(Including oil changes and the clutch change and costs for wheel balancing and alignment)

Total: Rs 273400
Cost per km- Rs6
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-img_9271.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-img_8923.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-img_8922.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-163431_182864771724008_2924436_n.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-163077_182864511724034_101263_n.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-154390_182865811723904_839440_n.jpg  

Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-img_8920.jpg  

Last edited by Anandv267 : 13th August 2012 at 12:37. Reason: Trying to make the post a good read with all details.
Anandv267 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
dad : son, listen carefully. u cannot afford to even buy a single tea on your own so i know very well that you cannot afford the petrol bills. use the car when ever you want . there will always be a full tank petrol when you take the car out.
me : (jumping with joy on the inside)with a neutral face- ok il think about it.

Mom: to dad-get him what he wants. why do you want to make him sad?
to me- tell which bike you want. we will get one for your birthday.

roll up my jeans to see what happened and all i see is bone. the muscle has been burned away. Put in a share auto and taken to hospital

Shifted to my cousin sisters hospital in RA puram for surgery. surgery completed at 9pm. Engg results come out. I am finally an engineer. Doctor comes in next
me : will i be able to ride again?
doc: be happy if u can walk properly again
me :

damn!!! (there goes the R1)

Cars india showroom dec 2009
Dad: does the swift have abs and air bags?
SE: sir vdi has abs option but no airbags
Dad: fine. i'd like to book a swift zxi then. that has airbags right?
se : yes sir.
me : i am going to start earning and i want to take car of the fuel bills on my own so i want a diesel. Book the vdi abs.
Typical family dialogues exchanged! Well its bit reverse in my family, Mom restricts and Dad supports.
but then even your father seems to be a Petrol head! Asking for Zxi with ABS,Airbags and a diesel!

How is your leg now?

So how much is the mileage you are getting after the tyre upgrade? Any drop?
Old 10th August 2012, 16:45   #3
BHPian

Re: Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Typical family dialogues exchanged! Well its bit reverse in my family, Mom restricts and Dad supports.
but then even your father seems to be a Petrol head! Asking for Zxi with ABS,Airbags and a diesel!

How is your leg now?

So how much is the mileage you are getting after the tyre upgrade? Any drop?
i know! Me says maruti's are tin cans but the best tin cans around. That is good from a person who had s classes and 7's as his office cars when he was working!!

My leg is getting better. 3 years and i still do my physio without fail everyday. I am still hell bent on getting that R1 even if it is from my money few years down the line!!

Regarding the mileage: The drop varied from 1-2kmpl depending on the traffic and driving style. With normal diesel i get around 15kmpl in city and around 17-18 on the highways(with 3-4 ppl on board.). With shell it is 16-17 during my office runs and a staggering 20-21 on the highways(3-4 ppl). An ardent shell fan now!!
Anandv267 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 22:42   #4
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms

Adding a few more photos of the car. More photos with TeamBHP stickers coming in a few days

My two steeds
Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-165585_184732498203902_5521451_n.jpg

An attempt at taking a good black and white photo
Maruti Ritz Vdi @ 51000 kms-283083_10150259557445025_2858767_n.jpg
Anandv267 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 13:24   #5
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review !!!! Many more miles coming !!!!!

Happy mile crunching !!!!
Old 17th August 2012, 15:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your wonderful buying experience .
R1 will be really great , hope you are able to get that soon.
Ritz is a really nice car , specially for tall people and the high seating position make the same even more nicer.

Coming to the power this DDIS heart can generate i feel 195 tyres are required, if you hit highways regularly .

Could you please share some more details about the hellas, i mean how exactly are they fitted .

Drive safe .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 15:39   #7
BHPian

@Schoudhury :
Thank you. And yes. The really nice car for tall people. Especially heavily built tall people like me.
And i completely areee with you with respect to the tyres. Without broader tyres the ritz can scare the wits out of you on out highways!!! I will most probably change over to 215/50/r16 if my finances are good (This will be done only after ritzy gets a sports suspension)

Regarding the hellas: they are attached to a clamp which is welded to a part of the body behind the logo.(I am not a very technical person ). I will attach a few photos of fixing the hellas if i can find them. The fittment is crude but it does the job. There is a fair bit of vibration which i want to get rid of but somehow i always postpone it .
Old 20th August 2012, 10:56   #8
BHPian

Update:
The front passenger side seat adjustment rod broke. Seat is stuck in rear most position. So basically the car is a 2 seater if i am driving .
Maruti service guys say that the whole seat assembly along with the seat has to be changed.
Any suggestions guys. Any ideas where i can get this fixed in chennai ?
Please help.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:55   #9
BHPian

Bump!
The above issue has been fixed by welding the rod back . Maruti service guys had no idea of the cost involved in making this repair. so got it fixed from outside.

Update:

1. The hella wiring has gone hay wire. Need a good place for re install so that the wirings are covered and the vibrations are stopped. Any suggestions guys?

2. Need to get the brakes checked. Not as effective as before. Pads were changed at 40,000 km i think. One of my friends suggested cross drilling of rotors. Can someone explain what is means? (i did not understand one word of what he said )

3. Suspension has become very soft. Bottomed out a few days back. Planning to go in for bilstein b14 or 16 in sometime. Till then looking for temp cheaper solutions. Suggestions welcome!

Ordering a Diesltronics box this weekend Watch this place for updates !!!
Old 26th August 2012, 17:44   #10

Hi Anand, I own a Ritz VDI too, same color. The hellas go very well and give the car a macho look. Having seen your car, I too am inspired to get the same set of Hellas. Could you please share the price? Also the lights will break in case of even a mild frontal collision. Can we fix protector (grill / cage) forthelights?
Auto Motive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Motive View Post
Hi Anand, I own a Ritz VDI too, same color. The hellas go very well and give the car a macho look. Having seen your car, I too am inspired to get the same set of Hellas. Could you please share the price? Also the lights will break in case of even a mild frontal collision. Can we fix protector (grill / cage) forthelights?
Thanks!!
The hellas cost me 10k totally. And yes. We need to be very careful with them. My personal opinion is go in for the hellas only if you do lots of night time driving in state highways. And i am not too sure the protector grill would look good for the ritz.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:53   #12
BHPian

Help needed!!!!

Bump!
Latest update:

Engine
The engine is sounding gruff and feels strained. Triple digit speeds make me feel as if i am sitting in a tractor.
What may be the problem? I have regiously changed engine oil every 9k-10k kms.
One of my friends suggested that i go for engine de-carb and flush.
Is it really necessary? Experts please advice

Brakes:
To put it in simple words- the car does not stop. the pads were changed during the 40k service. Is it time to really change the discs. Or is due to the tyres? (I have a new set of mrf zlo's which were changed at around 50k kms)
Help needed
Old 10th September 2012, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Hello Anand,
You've written the whole thread quite well. Good to know that you are regular with the physio.

About the engine sounding gruff, might I ask if you are rev happy? 3000 RPM and above is high range for a diesel.
The engine flush might help a bit, but not too much. You may also want to check the condition of the engine bay insulation material, it plays a crucial part in keeping the car quiet.

About the breaks, I have been disappointed with my swift Vdi since day one. Have changed the boosters and bled the breaks on numerous occasions with no luck. Do post if you find a solution.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:47   #14
BHPian

@off roadie

Thanks!

And regarding the engine sound. I like to keep the engine ine power band. But i rarely cross 3000 rpm. The engine sounds very gruff even at 110-120kmph. Earlier 120kmph used to be my cruising speed during my highway runs. Due to the engine sound i dont cross 100kmph these days.
I will check the engine bay insulation material and update!

Regarding the brakes, i am waiting for my extended warranty to get over so that i can go for after market brakes. the only thing stopping me is the price and the life of the after market brake kits. With the amount of braking we are forced to do within the city i dont think they would last more than 10k kms.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:43   #15
BHPian

suggestions for stiffer Suspension in Ritz Vdi

Hi all,

My ritz vdi has completed 53k kms till date and the suspension has become soft. It is bottomming out frequently nowadays.
I need suggestions on makking the suspension stiffer. After market kits like tein etc are in my mind but it may take me quite sometime if i decide to go for them (no money!!)

Please pour in your suggestions. My Extended warranty ends in another 7k kms so i dont mind modifying the suspension even if it cancels out the warranty.

And i would also like to know about how to increase my brake feel and power. The brakes are pathetic right now

Cheers,
O

Most Viewed