Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 20:42   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I've noticed that when I use ECO PRO mode the exhaust sounds much fruitier.

The burbles & overrun pops from the exhaust when lifting foot off the throttle are more pronounced and frequent than when I'm in Sport or Sport+ modes.

On researching this observation got to know that in ECO PRO mode both exhaust valves are opened up & hence it sounds better, But shouldn't this happen in the Sport or Sport+ modes only ?
Just last week I realised that my 520d sounded different in eco pro mode. When I switched to sport mode, the sound couldn't be heard anymore. Are you sure you could hear it in sport mode as well?

Somehow, I didn't really like that sound. Felt as though something was wrong with the car. Anyway, the car is due for service next week, will get it checked to ascertain that the sound is indeed because of eco pro mode.
275BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 23:08   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Hmmn, Thats a neat observation. I haven't used the ECO PRO mode that extensively, It is just not the BM anymore, and i cannot handle the loose steering. But will check as well.
Sure, do let me know what do you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Just last week I realised that my 520d sounded different in eco pro mode. When I switched to sport mode, the sound couldn't be heard anymore. Are you sure you could hear it in sport mode as well?

Somehow, I didn't really like that sound. Felt as though something was wrong with the car. Anyway, the car is due for service next week, will get it checked to ascertain that the sound is indeed because of eco pro mode
The sound i was referring to was in a good way in terms of louder exhaust note.

What you are talking is it the exhaust note or the engine sound ?
Old 25th October 2013, 23:24   #198
BHPian

Quote:

The sound i was referring to was in a good way in terms of louder exhaust note.

What you are talking is it the exhaust note or the engine sound ?
Oh, my bad, was referring to the engine sound but wow, you've got an excellent sense of hearing, I must admit. Do you by any chance hear a different sound from the engine when in eco pro mode? Some kind of a constant but very feeble buzzing.

Also, has the first service for your car been completed and have you taken BSI? What about the aftermarket tyres, does it affect the 2 year standard warranty?
Old 26th October 2013, 13:32   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

Quote:
Do you by any chance hear a different sound from the engine when in eco pro mode? Some kind of a constant but very feeble buzzing.
No different sound from engine in ECO PRO, also do keep in mind mine is a petrol bimmer so things might be different.

Quote:
Also, has the first service for your car been completed and have you taken BSI? What about the aftermarket tyres, does it affect the 2 year standard warranty?
No service done so far.

Car has done aprox 8000 kms & the car displays another 3500 kms before 1st service.

Aftermarket tires do not affect warranty as tires have a different warranty of their maker
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 22:43   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a quick roadtrip to Pune today & here's the log;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo-2.jpg

^ As you can see i got a very satisfying FE of 12.2 km/l

Drove entirely in ECO PRO MODE

As was traveling with 3 more co-passengers (Family) so that helped keep my foot light on the gas pedal.

Though in the process i was provoked to speed on the expressway by the likes of A4 2L T, Merc GL 350 CDI & Merc C 250 CDI but thanks to my parents i kept my cool & let them just pass, test of patience i tell you.
Im sure every BHPian would have been in such a dilemma many times when travelling with family

In the end with all the sober driving was able to add about 98 kms to my fuel range;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo-3.jpg

To be honest the driving was pretty refreshing indeed.

Last edited by karan561 : 5th November 2013 at 22:45.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Very sensible Karan. One must keep one's cool. Whenever I see drivers unnecessarily tailgating, I just let them pass. One is not entering a speed race even if one has a powerful car. The power can be useful though sometimes to get one out of a tricky situation.

The Pune expressway still is full of idiots driving any which way without looking into their rear view mirrors and in my view any speed above 90 kmph sadly is unsafe, unless it is a clear stretch.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 14:42   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Kamyo guys had come for exterior detailing, interior was inspected and was concluded as not required as it was already very clean

Here are some WIP pics;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_5439.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_5444.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_5445.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_5446.jpg

Oh BTW, The Fortuner got lucky too

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_5437.jpg

The work started at 9:15 am, both the cars got done by 6:30 pm (Both only exterior detailing)
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:19   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was a part of the recent TEAM-BHP MH-MEGA Meet, here are a few pics from the same;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-11.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-1.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-dsc_1204.jpg

^ Pics courtesy BHPian SDP
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:25   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a quick trip to Silvassa (Gujarat) recently & heres the log;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image3686742797.jpg

Impressed with the FE as this was with some brisk driving & 4 people on board & some light luggage in the boot.

I say this with reference to the average speed of 75 km/h maintained over the span of about 4.25 hrz of total driving time, also note never did i redline just played around the torque in manual mode in the 8th gear

Last edited by karan561 : 16th December 2013 at 22:52.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:54   #205
BHPian

Hi karan561,

I know I am few years late, but thanks for the great review!

I have a question: do you recommend switching to normal tubeless from RFT right after the purchase? I would be most probably picking a 320d sport line and want to know about switching to tubeless.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:12   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

I have a question: do you recommend switching to normal tubeless from RFT right after the purchase? I would be most probably picking a 320d sport line and want to know about switching to tubeless.
My advice is don't. I didn't find the ride quality that bad with the run flats. And needless to say they do offer you that piece of mind that you are secure in the event of a puncture. day to day driving with a puncture in the regular tubeless tyre you need to use the spare and are stuck on the road. With these you can easily take the car to the next available shop and get it repaired without going through the hassles of putting the car on the jack. Also the financial equation doesn't make sense.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 10:37   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi karan561,

I know I am few years late, but thanks for the great review!

The Runflats on the current gen + the suspension of the F30 do give the new 3 a much better ride quality than previous gen so if you are wanting fo change on the subject of only ride quality i would say a NO.

Otherwise runflats are relatively difficult to live with as compared to normal tubeless simply because of the hard side walls. This is the RFT technology, but is a harm as they can easily get pinched & form a side wall bubble or hit a sharp pot hole or rough road surface etc to have a cut. What i am saying is it will require you to be extra cautious to be tackling poor road surface or potholes to safeguard your sidewall.

Switching to tubeless will make you feel more confident but at a cost.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:20   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My advice is don't. I didn't find the ride quality that bad with the run flats. And needless to say they do offer you that piece of mind that you are secure in the event of a puncture. day to day driving with a puncture in the regular tubeless tyre you need to use the spare and are stuck on the road. With these you can easily take the car to the next available shop and get it repaired without going through the hassles of putting the car on the jack. Also the financial equation doesn't make sense.
My main concern is that in an event of a puncture it should not happen that I have to throw the tyre and buy new. So if I see a puncture I would rather put the car on jack and replace the tyre with space saver and get the punctured tyre to a repair shop. Also, on long journeys I would be most definitely having a spare tyre with me. RFTs worry me because I think they are prone to sidewall bubble more than tubeless. Also, in case of sidewall puncture I have to throw the RFT as they are not repairable. That is why I am inclined towards tubeless.

Will BMW pay me a good price for RFTs? Any idea about it?

Quote:
The Runflats on the current gen + the suspension of the F30 do give the new 3 a much better ride quality than previous gen so if you are wanting fo change on the subject of only ride quality i would say a NO.

Otherwise runflats are relatively difficult to live with as compared to normal tubeless simply because of the hard side walls. This is the RFT technology, but is a harm as they can easily get pinched & form a side wall bubble or hit a sharp pot hole or rough road surface etc to have a cut. What i am saying is it will require you to be extra cautious to be tackling poor road surface or potholes to safeguard your sidewall.

Switching to tubeless will make you feel more confident but at a cost.
Ride quality is not really my concern. My concern is exactly what you wrote and that is sidewall bubble/cut.

How switching to tubeless will be costly? I was under the impression that RFTs are lot more expensive than tubeless?! Isn't that the case?
Old 17th December 2013, 11:33   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My main concern is that in an event of a puncture it should not happen that I have to throw the tyre and buy new. So if I see a puncture I would rather put the car on jack and replace the tyre with space saver and get the punctured tyre to a repair shop. Also, on long journeys I would be most definitely having a spare tyre with me. RFTs worry me because I think they are prone to sidewall bubble more than tubeless. Also, in case of sidewall puncture I have to throw the RFT as they are not repairable. That is why I am inclined towards tubeless.

Will BMW pay me a good price for RFTs? Any idea about it?
BMW would not give you a very good price for it. Infact few dealers outright deny such a request citing official warranty etc. But even outside it should not be a very good deal when you factor in the fact that a new RFT will cost around 25K for a single tyre ( or something close to that figure right?).

I plan to run these first set of RFTs out and then evaluate. At that time just owning to the cost difference alone, I might opt for regular tubeless ones.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:45   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How switching to tubeless will be costly? I was under the impression that RFTs are lot more expensive than tubeless?! Isn't that the case?
RFTs are more expensive indeed, but the resale is what i meant would be the spoiler, but the other way you look at it is this;

New 17" tires (tubeless) would cost you aprox 12k-15k/tire, Old ones may not be sold through BMW dealer, you may try local tire shops even if they offer you 50% price, sell it off which means you might need to spend much on the switch you made (10-12k max)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
a new RFT will cost around 25K for a single tyre ( or something close to that figure right?).
18"ers would cost 25k, 17'ers in the 320d sportline would be around 20k

Last edited by karan561 : 17th December 2013 at 11:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks