Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 14:34   #301
BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
There are several reasons for this, not only engine related. New tires do not have optimal grip levels, it is only after a couple of hundred km that they 'settle' in and grip as designed. Same with the braking system - the braking will not be optimal till after the first few hundred kms and there are chances of pad glazing/discs warping. The engine and transmission also have to get some 'rough' edges smoothened out.
Very important points and should be seriously considered. You're bang on buddy! I have had two Bimmers in my garage before I got my latest one, a 320d M Sport and honestly, I had never bothered about running in my cars ever before and went ahead with a similar approach on the 3er. The brakes felt squeaky. The tire lacked grip but I was a bit too late to change my approach and by the time I realised that I should go easy during the run in period the car had landed in the workshop. The second day of the delivery. With 99 kms on board Though a minor incident the entire front bumper needed to be changed. I used this opportunity to get the M Sport kit, M Sport anti roll bars, EU spec shocks, but that's another story

The point is, it could have turned out disastrous and one should take it easy for atleast the first K or so. My car's back and has completed around 2000 kms as of now and if I compare it with the car it was at the delivery there's a heaven and hell difference. Knock on the wood, the braking, the grip at the moment is just fantastic and probably better than any other car in my garage.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st December 2014 at 00:20. Reason: please avoid typing...lik...this... Thanks
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 11:25   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Nice pics Karan, and congrats on being newly married!

The car's looking as droll-worthy as ever, hope to keep seeing updates every now and then!
Thanks, appreciate your wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Hey Karan.. it was quite an interesting story. I am buying a X3 2L D but was able to relate to your posts well with the home brand. My X3 will come today and just not able to sleep and doing just a lot of reading.

One question - when you drove from Gujarat to Mumbai after your registration, were you advised to take it easy on the engine ? like in its break-in period? I am reading in several posts that till 2000Km they talk about taking it easy on the engine. Mine will be a B47 2L D engine doing 190hp/4,000 and 400Nm/1,750 - 5,750 matted with 8 speed transmission. Because of 8 steps, I am thinking the RPMs will be low anyways. But getting conflicting remarks about the break-in period of engine. Let me know if you were specifically told anything about this by your sales rep.
When I checked in US-UK XBimmers forums for X3, they don't even know what break-in period is. I guess they just take the car and buzz off with their straight 6s
Hi,

Congrats on your X3

Breaking in is required & if you check your idrive it will be mentioned in detail about the breaking in time / speed etc for every part be it engine or brakes or even the tyres too.

Check out my post;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2888777

^ for more info

Last edited by karan561 : 27th December 2014 at 11:41.
Old 28th December 2014, 19:53   #303
BHPian

Hi Karan Thanks. helpful post. I will be doing a thread on initial ownership experience soon.

A few questions - Have you got some of these features working ?
1. BMW Live
2. Home lights / Courtesy Lights (i.e.: when you turnoff, the lights stay on for a few secs that you configure)
3. Office - with messages, emails with iPhone.
4. Is there anyway you were able to change [D] to display the actual gear it is in i.e.: D1,D2...D8 ? I know it does it for S and M

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congrats on your X3
Check out my post;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2888777
^ for more info
Old 29th December 2014, 02:32   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karan Thanks. helpful post. I will be doing a thread on initial ownership experience soon.

A few questions - Have you got some of these features working ?

1. BMW Live

2. Home lights / Courtesy Lights (i.e.: when you turnoff, the lights stay on for a few secs that you configure)

3. Office - with messages, emails with iPhone.

4. Is there anyway you were able to change [D] to display the actual gear it is in i.e.: D1,D2...D8 ? I know it does it for S and M

Thanks again.

1) BMW live is working, also the apps are working (FB, Twitter etc.)
2) Haven't tried that but came across that option in the iDrive. Haven't set it up, will do try & let you know.
3) Haven't set that up because it isn't required as its my fun/weekend car and not a daily drive
4) Nope.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2014 at 10:32. Reason: SMS lingo
Old 29th December 2014, 09:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again.
Congrats on the X3. Now that you own it in flesh, why don't you post some teaser pic for us?
Old 29th December 2014, 10:48   #306
Senior - BHPian

Can you please explain how you have got BMW Live working? Is it for iPhone only? or any phone through BT or usb connection? From various forums it seemed that BMW Live/Apps only worked when you had BMW Assist / online which is not offered in India.
Old 29th December 2014, 21:04   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congrats on the X3. Now that you own it in flesh, why don't you post some teaser pic for us?

Hey Vijay.. I got the car for a day and now it's gone to Ultimate Detailerz for doing CQuartz Finest coating. I will be getting the car tomorrow(Tuesday) and then the photo shooting begins.
I am still understanding the car and the subtle differences between how BMW does things Vs Audi. Will have a thread out within the next couple of days.
Old 29th December 2014, 21:30   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please explain how you have got BMW Live working? Is it for iPhone only? or any phone through BT or usb connection?

+1
It will help if you explain the LIVE registration process.
I know it needs a Bluetooth data connection. I was able to have my car use my paired iPhone's data connection to update services but nothing much happens after that.
Just see a blank screen.
Old 31st December 2014, 00:10   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Im on a holiday will be back by mid January & shall expalian with pics.

Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:37   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From various forums it seemed that BMW Live/Apps only worked when you had BMW Assist / online which is not offered in India.
Quote:
+1
I know it needs a Bluetooth data connection. I was able to have my car use my paired iPhone's data connection to update services but nothing much happens after that.
Just see a blank screen.
Hey guys,

Have a separate thread dedicated for the same, check it out & we can continue our discussion there

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...aq-thread.html
Old 19th January 2015, 12:28   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you please explain how you have got BMW Live working? Is it for iPhone only? or any phone through BT or usb connection? From various forums it seemed that BMW Live/Apps only worked when you had BMW Assist / online which is not offered in India.
Quote:
+1
Just see a blank screen.
So this is what you need to do.

Connect your phone to the car with bluetooth, or let it automatically connect as it does.

Then go to personal hotspot and turn it on (in an Iphone you will be asked 2 options, choose bluetooth and usb only).

After this go to BMW services, and choose update services.

Then go to Live and start the process, your hotspot should show a connection after a few seconds, and that means it is loading.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 11:55   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Wedding Update;

As i earlier updated in the thread that i got married last month (15/12/14) & this was the reason there were not much updates from my side, after that i was off for my honeymoon (that was more like a driving holiday so a travelogue will be put up shortly ).

Right, so did something different at my wedding & let the pictures do the talking;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-_g2s2792edit_1.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-10394557_10152683017237762_6692379220690608671_n.jpg

^ This is what happens when you leave the WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT to a Car Enthusiast / BHPian Groom.

A WEDDING BURNOUT, Enter Bride & Groom with a Burnout & leave the venue too with a tyre smoking launch , a Perfect Wedding !

Tip: Say no to Fire Crackers & Burn Some Rubber instead, this burnout dedicated to all the BHPians who are married / will be in the future, keep revving

PS - This burnout was carried out in an controlled environment & not on a public road.

Last edited by karan561 : 20th January 2015 at 11:57.
karan561 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:27   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wedding Update;

^ This is what happens when you leave the WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT to a Car Enthusiast / BHPian Groom.
Way to go karan561 and what a way to Come as well !!

Congrats on your 'Change in Marital Status' and wish you both a Very Happy Married Life together. God Bless
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 15:09   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Wedding Update;
Karan, congratulations as you enter a new phase of life.

And, the entry and exit from the place couldn't have been better than a RUBBER BURN OUT.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:38   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Way to go karan561 and what a way to Come as well !!

Congrats on your 'Change in Marital Status' and wish you both a Very Happy Married Life together. God Bless
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Karan, congratulations as you enter a new phase of life.

And, the entry and exit from the place couldn't have been better than a RUBBER BURN OUT.
Thanks guys, appreciate your good wishes

Also, the VIDEO of the same will be put up shortly
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed