Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 13:53   #16
BHPian

re: My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!

First let me congratulate you on your vRS, there should be one more thread coming up soon of another. In the past few months alot of us Petrolheads have bought vRSs as the prices have dropped with the increase of Petrol prices. People ask me what milage it gives and by looking at a person I answer. If I know the person is nosy and thinks only about average, I say, "4-5 kmpl de deti hai", English - It gives me 4-5 kmpl. It leaves them shocked and stops any further questions. I drive the car over 60-70 kms per day and get a regular milage of 10 kmpl and I am happy with it. But what really makes me happy is no matter what speed, what rpm, what gear the car just has ALOT of power to spare.

P.S. I use to drive a Wagon R before I sold it and it had clocked 1.2L kms when we sold it.

P.S.2. I also have a Silver vRS. Mine is a Aug 2005.
Here are 2 pics of my vRS.

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc_1636t.jpg

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-290720_505513202798295_1917578446_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I have a question: what is the difference between a RS and a VRS?
There is no difference in Skoda Octavia vRS and RS. Both are the same, but the actual name is vRS. Skoda originally launched the Octavia RS but Ford filed a TradeMark Complaint stating that the owned the 'RS' so Skoda just added 'v'. The full form of the 'v' is contested but the most popular is 'Very Rapid Skoda' but the actual from what knowledge I have gathered is 'victory Rally Sport'
abhayshanu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 14:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu
First let me congratulate you on your vRS, there should be one more thread coming up soon of another. In the past few months alot of us Petrolheads have bought vRSs as the prices have dropped with the increase of Petrol prices.
Thanks Abhayshanu - I totally can relate with the logic of speed. I find the car reasonable for my purposes, FE was not my top goal when I got the car- since don't have a long daily commute. I do have a question for you what is the tyre pressure you maintain in your ride.

Best - ML

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th August 2012 at 12:43. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply :)
Old 26th August 2012, 17:02   #18
BHPian

After quite a few offline congratulations, let this be official. Congratulations, Mate. You have one heck of a ride in your Garage now. Enjoy every bit of it and its gonna make your smile ear-to-ear every time you throw it around in the corners, like I have told you numerous times. RS is to be enjoyed on corners more than on straight line.

A couple of comments on the bad bits mentioned:

1. Hydraulic steering with 205/55 R16 is definitely gonna feel heavy. And mind you you will find a bit more heavy for 225/50 R16s. If you keep the tire pressure a little high you may find it a little lighter, though.

2. Dual Mass clutches are heavy, but RS Clutch does not kick you back.

From my experience the only bad bit of an Octavia, not just RS has been the back seat comfort. The rear seats are a bit too upright.

Enjoy your ride and lets do a drive meet soon.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 09:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

@MotoringLover---after checking out your vRS in person, I must admit that I was blown away! The surge of power was so addictive. I've never seen a car going so fast in 1st and 2nd gears this far! So Cruze and Laura owners had better watch out in our future drive meets.

The music system was also top notch. I have only two words to summarize: "Great buy"!
Old 27th August 2012, 10:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
@MotoringLover---after checking out your vRS in person, I must admit that I was blown away! The surge of power was so addictive. I've never seen a car going so fast in 1st and 2nd gears this far! So Cruze and Laura owners had better watch out in our future drive meets.

The music system was also top notch. I have only two words to summarize: "Great buy"!
Thanks Venu Saab - It was great meeting you too, like i had mentioned to you earlier, it is very normal till you hit 2200 mark, it is different ball game all together past that. many thanks to Ardy for the recommendation, I am so glad he was kind enough let get give his car a try.

On the Audio department - it is none other than our Karthik who helped with the right audio guy and was able use my existing kit quite a bit.

Best - ML.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Deepak on a fabulous acquisition.

Firstly, I dont believe in pre-owned cars as all 6 cars that I bought in 10 years have been brand new.

And, had I for some reason decided to buy a pre-owned car then it would have been the Skoda RS. No debates, No discussions and No-convincing me out of that decision

Enjoy and Drive Safe !!!

Quote:
So Cruze and Laura owners had better watch out in our future drive meets.
Venu, How can you bring the PDI Laura even in contention? It'll get smoked even before Cruze is slotted in 3rd gear

I had driven alonside the RS in the past and I know whats Cruze capable of. Like Ardy mentioned, RS is superior on corners but, in a straight line? Hmmm, I dont want to say anything.

Cant wait to drive alonside Motoringlover's precious too.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Congrats Deepak on a fabulous acquisition.

Firstly, I dont believe in pre-owned cars as all 6 cars that I bought in 10 years have been brand new.

And, had I for some reason decided to buy a pre-owned car then it would have been the Skoda RS. No debates, No discussions and No-convincing me out of that decision

Enjoy and Drive Safe !!!

Venu, How can you bring the PDI Laura even in contention? It'll get smoked even before Cruze is slotted in 3rd gear

I had driven alonside the RS in the past and I know whats Cruze capable of. Like Ardy mentioned, RS is superior on corners but, in a straight line? Hmmm, I dont want to say anything.

Cant wait to drive alonside Motoringlover's precious too.
Thanks Avi -

I think cruze should be superior in performance given that it is a much newer car in the block. But again I am not sure what the power to wait ratio is going to be. Overall it checks the boxes that I was looking for.

My next concentration is going to be on the tires. I will talk to you when we meet next.

Thanks - ML.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
My next concentration is going to be on the tires. I will talk to you when we meet next.
Actually, I forgot to mention in my previous post. Your tyres dont look in great condition and seem little bald. And, that too only after 20K on this second set of tyres.

I recommend you change them ASAP to a more sportier ones like an Yokos Advan and see your car's peformance take a pole jump
Old 27th August 2012, 12:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Venu Bhai, as regards the bold part of your post, I just have one comment, and this is with respect to one particular Cruze owner.

"its not so much the machine, than the man behind the machine".

And when the machine is a Cruze, and the man is you-know-who, then that is a potent combo. So if I were to wager, I would put my money on a particular white Cruze any day over the Laura and the RS.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Venu Bhai, as regards the bold part of your post, I just have one comment, and this is with respect to one particular Cruze owner.

"its not so much the machine, than the man behind the machine".

And when the machine is a Cruze, and the man is you-know-who, then that is a potent combo. So if I were to wager, I would put my money on a particular white Cruze any day over the Laura and the RS.
Ok, you've got a bet. I bet for the ex-Santra owner who used to take his Santra at 140, while at ease! And I can well nigh imagine him behind the wheel of a vRS!

I believe that by the time the Cruze reaches its turbo zone, the vRS would have crossed 120!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:15   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Thanks Himanshu for betting so big. This is a perfect example of betting on an "Underdog". If you win, your filthy rich and if you lose, it's no skin of anybody's nose

Quote:
I believe that by the time the Cruze reaches its turbo zone, the vRS would have crossed 120!
I reckon only a drive meet can change mindsets of folks watching the sport from the bystands
Old 27th August 2012, 14:30   #27
BANNED

Great review ML, I guess I was not lucky enough to drive your Precious - RS1..

VRS is a machine in its class and your choice is perfect. I hope you have saved on list of Mods, would like to see them on Precious - RS1

Congrats once again
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 16:03   #28
BHPian

Observation - Tire Pressure

Update - Tire Pressure settings.

Pain Area - Well i found the steering heavy when it came to city usage, typical in city driving, involving several U-turns, working on Mall basements and in general confined spaces. My current tire specification is 205/55/16 [Stock Size]

Solution - Now as i use the RS more and more, may be i am getting used to the steering feel, i also tried increasing my tire pressure, which actually was pretty low in the first place. I have experimented with 30 PSI on all four and also got my wheels aligned and balanced. I feel the overall steering heaviness has reduced marginally.

Side effects - I feel at 30 PSI - the braking has reduced a bit. I could very well be over-reacting here, but i guess it will take a few more trial and error combinations to get the right balance sorted.

I will greatly appreciate any feedback on the correct tire pressure that fellow members have been using.

Thanks - ML.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the user manual recommend tyre pressure? Or is it because you are using modded dimensions that you are asking this question?

I feel 30 should be good, but do check the manual. And when you change the tyres, do ask for the recommended pressure for the new ones.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, you've got a bet. I bet for the ex-Santra owner who used to take his Santra at 140, while at ease! And I can well nigh imagine him behind the wheel of a vRS!

Venu Bhai, I may just fly down to Hyd to see this duel.

Avi the underdog....ticket bhejo!

O.T. talking of taking Santra to 140 with ease, Venu Bhai, I remember the time when we drove to Srisailam and you showed a lot of us a thing or two about efforless yet fast driving in your fiesta. I was riding shotgun with HRH RR in his Dhanno on that trip and i remember marvelling at your smooth driving style.

Avi as ususal, was "gone in 60 seconds "
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed