Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 23:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Somre More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Team - I missed a few angles requested earlier - here goes. Please pardon the picture quality.

Best - ML.
Thanks, but no thanks. Those are poor pics for the kind of car you've got. Take her to a scenic location and spend a good amount of time shooting her.
Please post the Light output from the HIDs. Were the bulbs replaced ? Hope you are happy motoring ML.

To other vrs owners, What's the average life expected of the OE bulbs and how are OE bulbs different from jugaad stuff interms of output.

This is the OE bulb i suppose http://www.gsfcarparts.com/959aa2030
Old 10th September 2012, 10:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Thanks, but no thanks.

Please post the Light output from the HIDs. Were the bulbs replaced ? Hope you are happy motoring ML.

To other vrs owners, What's the average life expected of the OE bulbs and how are OE bulbs different from jugaad stuff interms of output.

This is the OE bulb i suppose http://www.gsfcarparts.com/959aa2030

@blackbeast - I hear you mate - i need to invest better time and effort on the pictures bit, I will try to improve on that.

On Xenons - Mine are 7 years old. I did replace LHS - Fog and Parking bulbs at a cost Rs.281 total and got it done at a Skoda workshop.

Best - ML.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:40   #48
BHPian

Re: Itchy Trigger Fingers.

Quote:
Fellow Bhpians -

I am now in a conundrum of whether it makes sense to up the power on the RS or not, she is doing a great job with respect daily driving and my regular morning sprints on open stretch. Could you please share what impact would a stage I have from Pete's on daily driving aspects. I am especially worried from a bottom end grunt perspective, RS is my primary car, but after experiencing a stage II on the open stretch, i am amazed what Pete can do with this car.

My goal will be limited to Stage 1 - Without any suspension modifications.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks - ML.
Having owned a Octavia RS for last five + years I can give you a few inputs,
You do the stage 1 its addictive and you will want more!
Took the plunge at 40,000 odd Kms and straight jumped to a Stage2 remap from Peter but without the intercooler upgrade. Car is a brute to drive compared to the stock. Problem was the power delivery was too drastic and and didn't enjoy it. Finally got a Forge front mounted intercooler and got another remap done from Peter, stage2 240Bhp. The car power is much more linear though ofcourse that surge is there but I kind of like it, little bit of drama is great with the milttek exhaust note and the DV.
Reliability wise I have no complains.
Changed to a SPEC stage 2 clutch at 58,000 kms and this is slightly harder than the OE clutch. I still can drive in the mumbai traffic without any complaints.
Though you have mentioned that you will not do any suspension mods, if and when you are looking at lowering the car with UK spec springs be prepared to scrape the belly often, I have done it and I am sort of in two minds if I should go back to the standard ride height. The kind of speed bumps we have ,it is agonising to hear the scrape. Bilsteins shocks are great for high speed ride, car feels planted at 200 on the expressway and its confidence inspiring. I went for the Tarox brake upgrade but am not too happy with those.
With the remaps be prepared for a rise in vibrations if you change the engine mounts to harder powerflex ones.
Overall for me its been money and effort well spent evertime I put the pedal to the floor

Enjoy the VRS

Safe drives
Frank Zappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 13:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
Having owned a Octavia RS for last five + years I can give you a few inputs,
You do the stage 1 its addictive and you will want more!
Safe drives
Thank you very much for stopping by mate, you post gives a lot of confidence in my head.

One of my main reasons with this car, is to keep this a daily drive, I drive through the city a lot, i quite like the existing setup of the car, though some might argue it is stiff, but i find it compliant, i don't want to make any more stiffer.

The other part, i am not sure what kind of support i could get from my local skoda garage on a modified car, they tell me they do support cars which have 300hp on it, but i have my reservations on it.

Quote:

Changed to a SPEC stage 2 clutch at 58,000 kms and this is slightly harder than the OE clutch.I still can drive in the mumbai traffic without any complaints.
I think my clutch might be on it way out, i have lately started getting a burning kind of smell, i am guessing its cooking now, well i did expect it - my car is at 63K, i am either thinking of replacing with an OE clutch + Flywheel or go Stage 1, if i go stage 1 - i might just get the remap and clutch kit done together. Any thoughts on the Stage 1 clutch ?

What tires are you running ?

Thanks again for your time.

Best - ML
Old 11th September 2012, 14:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for stopping by mate, you post gives a lot of confidence in my head.

One of my main reasons with this car, is to keep this a daily drive, I drive through the city a lot, i quite like the existing setup of the car, though some might argue it is stiff, but i find it compliant, i don't want to make any more stiffer.

The other part, i am not sure what kind of support i could get from my local skoda garage on a modified car, they tell me they do support cars which have 300hp on it, but i have my reservations on it.

I think my clutch might be on it way out, i have lately started getting a burning kind of smell, i am guessing its cooking now, well i did expect it - my car is at 63K, i am either thinking of replacing with an OE clutch + Flywheel or go Stage 1, if i go stage 1 - i might just get the remap and clutch kit done together. Any thoughts on the Stage 1 clutch ?

What tires are you running ?

Thanks again for your time.

Best - ML
The Bilstein struts and UK springs do make the car stiffer and if you are not going to do any high speed rides then that would be a waste. At the same time a lowered car looks awesome !! handles great. Plus the speed bump hazard!

My car is running on Michelin PP2s 225 X 50 profile( low) hence the ride is little harsher with stock rims. These have soft side walls and had to replace one due to buldge damage.

As for support from local garages, I have had no issues after the remaps with the engine as such. Peter had changed all four coils, spark plugs.
I take her to Skoda JMD auto and have no complains. Infact the guys there go out of the way and they let me into the workshop floor when the job on my car is done . I have done the 60,000 timing belt and water pump replacement as a preventive maintenance, some might think its an overkill..to each his own.

I have not used or driven a stage1 clutch RS so cant really tell you but if it is little less harder than a stage 2 there should be no issue. I am used to the stage 2 and drive in traffic without any problems. The clutch clamps on a little harsher than the OE .

If you are going to do the remap from Peter may be he can suggest to you about the clutch or you could buy it online. I got the Forge front mounted intercooler online directly from Forge motorsports UK and saved about 20K.

I went through all the same thought process as you are going through.

Happy modding!!

Safe drives
Old 11th September 2012, 14:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
The Bilstein struts and UK springs do make the car stiffer and if you are not going to do any high speed rides then that would be a waste. At the same time a lowered car looks awesome !! handles great. Plus the speed bump hazard!
I am going to avoid lowering it.

Quote:

My car is running on Michelin PP2s 225 X 50 profile( low) hence the ride is little harsher with stock rims. These have soft side walls and had to replace one due to buldge damage.
How is your steering feel ? Is it more heavy ?

Quote:

As for support from local garages, I have had no issues after the remaps with the engine as such. Peter had changed all four coils, spark plugs.
I take her to Skoda JMD auto and have no complains. Infact the guys there go out of the way and they let me into the workshop floor when the job on my car is done . I have done the 60,000 timing belt and water pump replacement as a preventive maintenance, some might think its an overkill..to each his own.
My experience with Skoda also has been pretty good, they have been proactive in checking with me, came back to me for feedback and overall i had them scan the entire car to cure my curiosity which they happily did and did not charge me a dime. I am impressed overall - but i guess a little premature since i am very new to skoda ownership.

Quote:

I have not used or driven a stage1 clutch RS so cant really tell you but if it is little less harder than a stage 2 there should be no issue. I am used to the stage 2 and drive in traffic without any problems. The clutch clamps on a little harsher than the OE .
thanks a ton for the feedback, another member Ardy has been on OE clutch until 45K - he is running a 220 bhp avatar of the RS.

Quote:
If you are going to do the remap from Peter may be he can suggest to you about the clutch or you could buy it online. I got the Forge front mounted intercooler online directly from Forge motorsports UK and saved about 20K.
If anyone is going to me making changes to the RS, its going to be Peter, thanks a ton for sharing your experience. How about sharing some pictures mate. Best - ML
Old 11th September 2012, 18:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Frank, I would be interested to know more about the online portal from where you procured the FMIC (Forge). And the cost as well.

Did you also add the boost gauge along with FMIC? And what did Peter charge for another remap?

If not a trouble, please post here for larger audience, else please PM me.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 11th September 2012, 19:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Frank, I would be interested to know more about the online portal from where you procured the FMIC (Forge). And the cost as well.

Did you also add the boost gauge along with FMIC? And what did Peter charge for another remap?

Ardy
Are we getting ideas on going 240 ?

A generic question for the group - If i was to replace my existing inter cooler in the car with a FMIC, will i benefit in anyway ? My purpose for the question - If i did not want to invest extensively, i could start building kit, which could lead to the aspirational 240 Bhp overtime, when i want to invest in a remap.

Thanks - ML
Old 11th September 2012, 19:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Are we getting ideas on going 240 ?

A generic question for the group - If i was to replace my existing inter cooler in the car with a FMIC, will i benefit in anyway ? My purpose for the question - If i did not want to invest extensively, i could start building kit, which could lead to the aspirational 240 Bhp overtime, when i want to invest in a remap.

Thanks - ML
Why not if its affordable and if the ride becomes more linear ... :-)

If you want to kit up to 240 BHP, then I would recommend as always, upgrade the mechanical stuffs and then go for Engine and Remap.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 20:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Why not if its affordable and if the ride becomes more linear ... :-)

If you want to kit up to 240 BHP, then I would recommend as always, upgrade the mechanical stuffs and then go for Engine and Remap.

Cheers,
Ardy
Hi Ardy - I know you have made this comment once before - By mechanicals what exactly are you referring too, suspension , brakes et al ?

Best - ML
Old 11th September 2012, 20:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ardy - I know you have made this comment once before - By mechanicals what exactly are you referring too, suspension , brakes et al ?

Best - ML
If you want to upgrade in phases, I would recommend the following phases:

Phase 1: Top & Bottom Braces, Brakes, DV
Phase 2: Intake & Exhaust
Phase 3: Remap and Inter-Cooler

This is considering you don't want to touch the suspension settings.

And this is purely my take. You will not get much performance enhancements in Phase 1 & 2, but you will at least not pump in all the money in a single go.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 11th September 2012, 20:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to upgrade in phases, I would recommend the following phases:

Phase 1: Top & Bottom Braces, Brakes, DV
Phase 2: Intake & Exhaust
Phase 3: Remap and Inter-Cooler

This is considering you don't want to touch the suspension settings.

And this is purely my take. You will not get much performance enhancements in Phase 1 & 2, but you will at least not pump in all the money in a single go.

Cheers,
Ardy
Thanks Ardy for the Phase based improvement plan - Quick Question - What is a DV ?

Best - ML
Old 11th September 2012, 20:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ardy for the Phase based improvement plan - Quick Question - What is a DV ?

Best - ML
Divertor Valve or BOV.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 12th September 2012, 05:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
@blackbeast - I hear you mate - i need to invest better time and effort on the pictures bit, I will try to improve on that.

On Xenons - Mine are 7 years old. I did replace LHS - Fog and Parking bulbs at a cost Rs.281 total and got it done at a Skoda workshop.

Best - ML.
ML, the link i gave you points to the bulb which costs 70 GBP. I'm talking about the xenon bulbs for low beams
Old 12th September 2012, 14:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
ML, the link i gave you points to the bulb which costs 70 GBP. I'm talking about the xenon bulbs for low beams
Sorry don't know about Xenon's, don't want it to fail - knowing its expensive.

Another site that i have heard is reasonably good on parts is a skoda site -

http://www.skodaparts.com/ [you can pay with paypal]

Best - ML

Most Viewed