Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 15:04   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Somre More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Sorry don't know about Xenon's, don't want it to fail - knowing its expensive.

Another site that i have heard is reasonably good on parts is a skoda site -

http://www.skodaparts.com/ [you can pay with paypal]

Best - ML
I have used them and recommended them highly. Give them the VIN number, they will reply with a picture of the part. Their mailing costs are a little high though
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:17   #62
BHPian

Re: Somre More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I have used them and recommended them highly. Give them the VIN number, they will reply with a picture of the part. Their mailing costs are a little high though
Thanks Ajmat -

Since you have ordered parts overseas, how has the duty part worked out ? and if you buy from the UK - do you still have to pay VAT for having the part shipped overseas.

Best - ML.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:33   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover

Thanks Ajmat -

Since you have ordered parts overseas, how has the duty part worked out ? and if you buy from the UK - do you still have to pay VAT for having the part shipped overseas.

Best - ML.
I normally buy small parts with pass under the customs radar. Larger parts are sent to relatives in the UK who hand carry them. You normally do not have to pay VAT if sent direct out. Also look at gsfcarparts.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 19:32   #64
BHPian

Update : Replace Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate and Release bearing

Team -

RS started smelling of burnt clutch at higher revvs and what i had also started noticing [bit tough to estimate correctly] my engine would accelerate but the car would not match the revvs with the speed. The problem was diagnosed of burnt clutch. I was recommended to change the entire assembly.

Some immediate observations.

1. My clutch pedal feel is now extremely light. [I re-checked the part which they fit in the car was a DMF or not Or if it was not Skoda part ? I had the general understanding that RS clutch is suppose to be heavy - I am mighty pleased that it was a Skoda part. ]

2. Acceleration is more progressive and is more in line with Engine Revvs.

I will keep the group posted on the feedback. The work was performed at an independent garage New Mars in Hyderabad. I am reasonably pleased with the effort and the overall experience.

Please find some WIP pictures for your ready reference.
Attached Thumbnails
My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-5.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-2.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-3.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-4.jpg  

Motoringlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 01:24   #65
BHPian

re: My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!

New clutch must be very pleasing for you to drive her around. Where did you source the clutch and how much? Since you have plans to mod, why didn't you take the opportunity and upgrade to sports clutch ?
Old 15th September 2012, 12:31   #66
BHPian

Re: Itchy Trigger Fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Frank, I would be interested to know more about the online portal from where you procured the FMIC (Forge). And the cost as well.

Did you also add the boost gauge along with FMIC? And what did Peter charge for another remap?

If not a trouble, please post here for larger audience, else please PM me.

Cheers,
Ardy
My apologies for not replying earlier since I was travelling.
I ordered the FMIC on line, directly through Forge motorsports UK site. They shipped it through Fedex ( didn't have a choice) and it gets cleared and delivered to your doorstep. I had to pay 28.5% duty in cash to the Fedex guys at the time of delivery. Honestly it was all done sitting on the comp..pretty simple. I am sure there are other portals where one could get this with possibly a better bargain. I didn't shop around much as I was haapy I was getting it from the makers Forge themselves. This is fabricated after you do the payment.
Totally it cost me approx 68K to my doortstep couple of years back.

Safe drives
Frank Zappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ardy - I know you have made this comment once before - By mechanicals what exactly are you referring too, suspension , brakes et al ?

Best - ML
ML if you are thinking in terms of a Phase2 remap from Peter then I would suggest the following

1) Blow off valve, you will need to have this.
2) FMIC will help keep your air inlet temps down when driving hard. Mind you , I did manage to use the car for about 15,000 Kms with the side mount OE intercooler and was with a 220 bhp remap. On a day to day basis there is only the difference in the way the power is delivered, 20 bhp difference is not that noticeable when it is a 200+ bhp car and you are using it on the normal roads. The amount you will invest in a FMIC is a big chunk.
3) Turbo intake pipe.
4) CAI, cold air intake. I have Carbonio
5) Down pipe with a catcon replacement pipe. The Lambda O2 sensor is bypassed.
6) Milttek exhaust, I have the complete one and that is another big chunk in terms of expenditure but you will love the exhaust note.
7) Though I did a brake upgrade I do not think it has improved the brakes drastically , marginally ..Yes. If you can do the 6 pot brakes upgrade for the front and big rotors for the rear, go for it. This is entirely my opinion and I did the upgrade as I felt I needed to do better my brakes with the bump in power.
8) The suspension is your personal opinion. I did it but would not advice it if this car is your day to day drive. If you are going to do regular drives on the expressway then its worth it.
9) Ofcourse , the remap. I did a CustomCode remap from Peter.
10) Top and bottom braces .
11) Engine mounts to be replaced with harder more resilient ones. I have Powerflex mounts.

Honestly I did the mods at one go ( except for the 220 remap and then the 240 remap) as I did not want to feel the need to do more again later. Phase 3 with a turbo upgrade was beyond my budget and hence did all that was needed for a Phase 2 .
The RS is not my daily drive. I get around in an i10 or now on my newly acquired Kawasaki Ninja 650

Hope this helps you.

Safe drives
Old 15th September 2012, 14:16   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
My apologies for not replying earlier since I was travelling.
I ordered the FMIC on line, directly through Forge motorsports UK site. They shipped it through Fedex ( didn't have a choice) and it gets cleared and delivered to your doorstep. I had to pay 28.5% duty in cash to the Fedex guys at the time of delivery. Honestly it was all done sitting on the comp..pretty simple. I am sure there are other portals where one could get this with possibly a better bargain. I didn't shop around much as I was haapy I was getting it from the makers Forge themselves. This is fabricated after you do the payment.
Totally it cost me approx 68K to my doortstep couple of years back.

Safe drives
No a problem and thanks for the information, Frank.

The current cost on Forge website is GBP 625 and they are quoting GBP 156 for shipping. If 28.5% is the custom's duty then, that's another GBP 177 on cost of 625. So, a total of GBP 958, which equates to approx 85K. IIRC, Petes retails the FMIC for 98K

How much did Peter charge for for the second remap?

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 15th September 2012, 17:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy

current cost on Forge website is GBP 625 and they are quoting GBP 156 for shipping. If 28.5% is the custom's duty then, that's another GBP 177 on cost of 625. So, a total of GBP 958, which equates to approx 85K. IIRC, Petes retails the FMIC for 98K

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy - I don't see a huge amount of saving there for you. If you ever need warranty considering its a significant investment Peter might be a better deal.

Frank - thanks a ton for the inputs, I think I am going to stick to a reasonable 200 Bhp avatar. My brain think on incremental investment versus returns, I get the most value for 55k which is 200 Bhp. incremental 20 Bhp - which takes me to 220 Bhp warrants another 2 lacs in investment, 240 Bhp needs an additional 1.5 approx.

So I guess I will stick to stage 1.

Best - ML.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
No a problem and thanks for the information, Frank.

Cheers,
Ardy
I do not recollect the exact amount for the second remap but he had given me a 30% discount on the pricing for the remap.
Honestly I cannot say I felt the 20 bhp bump in the power but the power delivery is far better, ofcourse the surge is still there but I sort of like the rush.

safe drives.
Old 16th September 2012, 12:22   #71
BHPian

Update 3 : New Pictures & Air Filter Upgrade

Hi Team -

RS has been settling in decently with the new clutch and the flywheel, also took this opportunity to use my camera, went for a drive meet with the Hyd gang and was able to get a chance to drive the RS a bit. Overall she is fun especially around the corners, next upgrade for shoes.

First Mod -

1. Replacement Air filter - Green Cotton. - Immediate impressions - No change immediately noticeable.

Did a small photo shoot for our rides [Mine and Ardy's] Hope you like the pictures.

Thanks for stopping by.

Best - ML
Attached Thumbnails
My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc04238.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc04242.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc04243.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc04244.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-dsc04250.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-ready-fly.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-line-up.jpg  

Motoringlover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 15:02   #72
BHPian

Fuel Efficiency Update

Well before i get into detail - I have normally been not very luck when it comes to FE with a Petrol car. RS has completely surprised me. I always doubted the MID when it came to fuel efficiency, so decided to test it real time.

I decided to drive 70 odd Km's [ the ones familiar with Hyderabad ] - Shell Petrol Pump in Hitec City to airport and back to Shell. Top up on both occasions stopped at Auto cut. Total Consumption per the MID for the trip 3.2L/100 [I just could not believe it] decided to drive back to Shell and my topped up on auto cut around ~4.1L. Rough calculation translates to 17/kmpl.

Besides bragging rights in front of LOH, i am totally amazed. I never bought the RS for FE, now i have developed the addiction of setting the Cruise control.

Thanks for a tolerating my rant.

Best - ML.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

re: My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!

For the intake, i would suggest you go for the ABD Racing intake for the RS, and an APR R1 diverter valve. The Forge DV is honestly, a piece of junk, and though it sounds good, the performance loss is massive. The R1 is quieter than the forge, but the way it holds boost between shifts is amazing.

Have used forge before, and now using APR R1, hence my statement.

A pic of the said ABD intake
Attached Thumbnails
My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-img_9037.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 27th September 2012 at 15:19.
JayD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 15:38   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Update : Replace Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate and Release bearing

Quote:
Some immediate observations.

1. My clutch pedal feel is now extremely light. [I re-checked the part which they fit in the car was a DMF or not Or if it was not Skoda part ? I had the general understanding that RS clutch is suppose to be heavy - I am mighty pleased that it was a Skoda part. ]
I think this was already discussed on this thread.
DMF is supposed to be lighter.
A heavy clutch most likely indicates "problem" - simple .

BTW, why did you buy parts from outside and got the work done in independent workshop? Afraid of Skoda service?

How much did the DMF cost?
Old 27th September 2012, 16:29   #75
BHPian

Re: Update : Replace Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate and Release bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I think this was already discussed on this thread.
DMF is supposed to be lighter.
A heavy clutch most likely indicates "problem" - simple .
Well all the cars i drove had a heavy clutch, was tough to correlate all of them having an issue, but i guess it was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, why did you buy parts from outside and got the work done in independent workshop? Afraid of Skoda service?

How much did the DMF cost?
No just cost arbitrage. Mahavir Skoda was asking for 48K for just the clutch replacement and around ~64K if i wanted to replace the flywheel, pressure plate and release bearing.

I have also experienced that they tend quote higher and bill is normally a bit lower. But i was getting the same deal with an independent garage at a much cheaper rate.

This was my first experience outside the dealership and no complaints so far.

Best - ML.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks