Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 00:10   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed

Got the PPF installed on the ORVMs to keep it free from scratches which the two wheelers in Bangalore freely gift it to the cars .

The work was done from 3M HSR Layout. Cost Rs. 1,399/-

The measurements being taken.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-7.jpg

The boys started their work

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-5.jpg

Mr. Pradeep as usual inspecting the work to maintain top notch quality installation and service

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-6.jpg

The end result

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-8.jpg

I swapped the OEM air filter with the K&N stock replacement filter. The initial response seems positive. Will post an update in a day or two on how the things turn out further.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 29th October 2012 at 00:17.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 06:58   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap
Got the PPF installed on the ORVMs to keep it free from scratches which the two wheelers in Bangalore freely gift it to the cars .
A neat job done. Sadly we don't have a 3M care centre in Mangalore. Only the ones with tie-up with dealerships are present.
Sorry for my noob question. But how does it prevent scratches?
Old 29th October 2012, 10:52   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
A neat job done. Sadly we don't have a 3M care centre in Mangalore. Only the ones with tie-up with dealerships are present.
Sorry for my noob question. But how does it prevent scratches?
Let me know when you plan to travel to Bangalore, we can get squeeze this in to your schedule .

I dont think the dealership offers this and also the installation is not so easy as it seems and I bet the guys at the dealerships wont even be trained properly for this PPF thingy.

Yes, its a film on the body surface. So whatever happens on the film first and keeps the surface under the film relatively free from scratches. As I stated in my previous post, the bikers in Bangalore seem to love the OVRMs and keep gifting the scratches there. Probably next the fenders might need it too.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 11:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:

Let me know when you plan to travel to Bangalore, we can get squeeze this in to your schedule
Oh yes, for sure
The 3M guys at TASS Mangalore don't even have a ramp for carrying out underbody coating. It is done inside the service centre amidst the indicabs :P. The SA always makes it a point to push for the 3M products even before the job card for the service is done.

How much did the K&N air filter cost? Could you please share the pricing & model no.? I'm also planning to swap the stock air filter to a K&N.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:32   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, for sure
The 3M guys at TASS Mangalore don't even have a ramp for carrying out underbody coating. It is done inside the service centre amidst the indicabs :P. The SA always makes it a point to push for the 3M products even before the job card for the service is done.

How much did the K&N air filter cost? Could you please share the pricing & model no.? I'm also planning to swap the stock air filter to a K&N.
The push for the Value Added Service (so called by the dealerships) is very much linked to the variable pay of the service advisor. Thats the reason they are so pushy about this VAS and the replacement of spares too.

Drop me a PM when you intend to drive to Bangalore.

I did not buy the K&N Filter, I simply cleaned and plonked the one which my friend was using it on his diesel punto. I will fetch the part no for you, but not too sure about the cost.

I would suggest to hold the purchase till I post my observations in a day or two. The K&N is only for trial, if I dont see a perceivable improvement and any after effects, I will switch back to the OEM one.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 29th October 2012 at 12:34.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:48   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Observations after putting in the K&N Filter

I have done close to 70 odd kms after putting in the K&N filter (not new one though, borrowed from one of my friend). I had cleaned the air filter and was waiting for the first service to put in.

The service adviser too insisted I put the K&N filter and ensure it is cleaned every 5000 kms to keep the engine breathing process in top shape.

The observations now.
  • The engine revs a bit more eagerly now.
  • The low end seems to be a tab bit better (may be due to the free revving nature now)
  • The grunt with the intake has increased and I like it
  • The mileage on the MID too has seen a bit of increase around .3 kmpl.
  • Last but not the least, the engine feels smoother while revving it. May be due to the oil change too.
Will update on any more findings once I pile on more kms with the K&N filter.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:49   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I have done close to 70 odd kms after putting in the K&N filter (not new one though, borrowed from one of my friend). I had cleaned the air filter and was waiting for the first service to put in.

The service adviser too insisted I put the K&N filter and ensure it is cleaned every 5000 kms to keep the engine breathing process in top shape.
Will update on any more findings once I pile on more kms with the K&N filter.
Good to hear that nkrishnap.

I have just completed 3000 kms after the second service & on my second OE air filter. Since the OE filter is made up of paper, I feel it will loose its function over a time period if cleansed regularly. Also having read the positive reviews of BHPians about K&N filters I would try getting one for my punto. Your observations also have strengthened opinion about them.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:10   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Heading out on another highway drive for 5 days. Would cover around 2000 odd kms.

Will put a new thread in the travelogues section once I am back.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:20   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that nkrishnap.

I have just completed 3000 kms after the second service & on my second OE air filter. Since the OE filter is made up of paper, I feel it will loose its function over a time period if cleansed regularly. Also having read the positive reviews of BHPians about K&N filters I would try getting one for my punto. Your observations also have strengthened opinion about them.

Yes, the OEM filter clogs quite easily on dusty roads. But the catch is never blow high pressure air to the filter because the filtering properties can go for a toss.

What I had done earlier uptil now is to clean it every 1.5K kms by blowing air with mild pressure.

I will still reserve my comment on the K&N until I drive atleast 1000 kms with it.
Old 1st November 2012, 20:51   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

First leg of the journey is over by reaching the southern tip of India. The car has become very dirty on the outside due to the rains.

Finally out the crazy roads in Kerala. The kerala drivers here simply have no regard either for their life or other person's life. Simply maniac behaviour on the roads and overly crowded/overly populated highway stretches. Huh!

A pic where three cars from Bangalore are together at Trivandrum

KA 02, KA 04 (MINE) AND KA 03

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-3-bangalore-cars.jpg
Old 1st November 2012, 23:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
First leg of the journey is over by reaching the southern tip of India. The car has become very dirty on the outside due to the rains.

Finally out the crazy roads in Kerala. The kerala drivers here simply have no regard either for their life or other person's life. Simply maniac behaviour on the roads and overly crowded/overly populated highway stretches. Huh!
Dear nkrishnap,

You are absolutely right about road traffic in Kerala but rather than the drivers it is the narrow roads that are responsible for such nightmarish driving experiences. The situation is only going to get worse over time as it doesn't seem that there is any plan to widen the roads. I really miss good wide roads to enjoy driving my T-Jet +.

However you would love driving on your return if you take Madurai-Salem-Bangalore route. If, however, you take Kerala route on return then let me know if I can be of help for accomodation etc.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
Dear nkrishnap,

You are absolutely right about road traffic in Kerala but rather than the drivers it is the narrow roads that are responsible for such nightmarish driving experiences. The situation is only going to get worse over time as it doesn't seem that there is any plan to widen the roads. I really miss good wide roads to enjoy driving my T-Jet +.

However you would love driving on your return if you take Madurai-Salem-Bangalore route. If, however, you take Kerala route on return then let me know if I can be of help for accommodation etc.
Thank you so much for trying to help me out for the accommodation. I am quite familiar with the Kerala roads, just that I hate driving during day in these roads, but during late nights, the roads are quite OK to drive.

Had planned to drive to Rameshwaram next, but cancelling it as there are some riots happening in Ramanathapuram district. So now heading towards Madurai.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:19   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed another drive of 1866 kms. Had to change plans of not visiting Rameshwaram due to riots in the south eastern parts of Tamil Nadu. Headed to Bangalore via Munnar.

Will post a separate travelogue for it.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:56   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been some time since the mileage update. Here we go with the update.

15th Refill - 370 kms - 27.26 litres - 13.57 kmpl - Avg Speed - 22 kmph - BPCL

16th Refill - 469 kms - 25.16 litres - 18.64 kmpl - Avg Speed - 56 kmph - IOCL

17th Refill - 239 kms - 15.98 litres - 14.96 kmpl - Avg Speed - 32 kmph - IOCL

18th Refill - 437 kms - 25.5 litres - 17.14 kmpl - Avg Speed - 44 kmph - IOCL

19th Refill - 297.2 kms - 18.5 litres - 16.06 kmpl - Avg Speed - 32 kmph - BPCL

20th Refill - 314.4 kms - 17.8 litres - 17.66 kmpl - Avg Speed - 51 kmph - BPCL

All these numbers are with 100% AC.

Am I happy with the mileage? Its a mixed bad, nothing wrong with the car, just that getting stuck at the wrong places most of the times.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:22   #105
BHPian

You are getting really good mileage and if all figures are of city then I. Must say excellent. We are waiting for your K & N filter review. If you give go ahead there are many punters and Linea owners who can install it.

Most Viewed