Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Toyota Innova: 11000 kms, 2 months and 3 services later

Been Riding a 2 Scorpios for past 4 years and 160000 kms. Except for my wife's grandfather who is a mahindra person, everybody else drives Innovas in our family. There are 7 innovas already all done around 1lac to 2 lac kms.
I do at least 50kms inside city just to school for the kids and I frequently travel outisde town.

Decided to switch over to Innova basically as it is a more comfort vehicle. Also the Innova delaer gave a good buy back on my 80K km old scorpio.

Decided on IB GX model which had ABS and one airbag.
(My friend was gaga over this model as it had cup holders in 3rd row seat. Why are we so obsessed about such stupid stuff and not about safety features - No wonder mahindra and Tata are selling more)

- All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car - Xylo 500 (XUV 500), Xylo, Force One and Ertiga. Please do see my post on car booked thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2821281
Not sure why the guys at auto mags and tv shows keep comparing the ertiga with innova. Atleast maruti should have put the ertiga on the SX4 chasis andd it would have been longer. Since duster was a 5 seater didnt consider it.
Infact a relative of mine who has a scorpio for own use (basically to terrorise other road users) and innova for family / long drive use in Khammam made a comment like this on seeing XUV 500 for first time.
"Does mahindra make xylo in this model also?"
It was this comment that finally swung my wife towards Innova. Till then she was besotted with XUV 500 inspite of its long waiting period

- Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
Usually with Tata and Mahindra vehicles, the headache starts after buying the vehicles. But with this vehicle, the headache started right after booking the vehicle and nandi Toyota. While delivering my scorpio to their second hand division manager, the sales lady had said she will get toyota smiles program free. While booking, the sales lady did a u turn saying the toyota smiles free offer is only for Liva andd Etios. The sales lady had promised me immediate delivery as they had the vehicle in stock. I wanted delivery of vehicle within 3 days on Friday (2 days for loan processing, 1 day for RTO formalities) as after that from 4th day, there were no good dates available for the next 45 days as we were going into Tamil month of Aadi which is not a good month for us. The lady said the vehicle elephant grey color is not in stock and they have another color for the GS model I wanted. I blew my top and the lady said she will deliver on Monday after much of shouting. Then she started saying I have to take insurance from Toyota or else I wont get imediate delivery, Toyota wont release the car. Again after a round of shouting, she gave it. Then came the issue of promised free stuff floor mats and mud flaps. Even though she had promised free accessories while booking, now she was doing an U turn. Again a round of shouting. Never had a such bad experience while taking delivery of a vehicle. Even India garbage did a better job while delivering my Scorpio. I even had a mail ready to be sent to all the top execs mentioned on toyota india website. I wanted the vehicle before 530 pm as 430 to 530 was the final auspicious time and didnt want to miss it. But after sitting at their show room till 630, the vehicle was finally handed over. And there stopped the headaches. Lesson learnt: never believe a smiling sales lady.

- On-road price, discounts etc.
No discounts, had to fight for each and every thing. Had to pay the listed price. Managed to get the insurance done outside
In fact, previously when I had visited Ravindu Toyota, they didnt even bother to collect my contact details. Infact the lady there gave a "ha thats a mahindra" reply laced with contempt when I pointed out to the XUV parked outside and said the choice is between XUV and Innova

- the engine type & variant
GX8 - Turbo Intercooler, ABS, driver side air bag, ABS and airbag was my primary requirement and single side airbag is a sore point for me. But 2 lakhs more for another airbag (V model) is too much.

- The good and bad about its equipment levels
Can have one more air bag for this cost

- How many kms you have completed at the time of writing your review

- Your usage pattern (e.g. 12 kms daily in dense traffic)
50 km to school and back if within city. Monthly travel to Mudumalai, other wildlife places outside Bangalore
I usually average around 4000 km a month.

- Comments on the exterior styling & design
Everything is ok. The sales executive said we dont need underbody coating as Innova comes with a plate underneath. is that true
The paint elephant grey seems to be common every where. Will I get a better resale value for this color?

- Overall build quality and fit & finish

- Interior design & quality
The easy way to access the third row seats and method of opening the middle seat from third row where usually my son sits is a real plus

- Interior space and comfort
Excellent compared to Scorpio, XUV 500. Especially the boot space

- Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points
The rear AC vents are a real plus. The vents seem to be better than scorpio.
Seats are soft, not hard as scorpio.

- Engine performance & driveability in the city
In the city, the car like handling and silent engine are a big plus.

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway
On the highway (we frequently travel Blr - Mys - Mudumalai and BLR - Madurai), the ease with which I can handle the vehicle like a car is really great. Hitting 150 kmph is easy. It just takes a long long time to reach from 80 to 120 - 140. (Scorpio max I could do was 140)

- Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, turbo-lag etc.)
I am not a technical person. Only thing I can say is takes too long to pickup from 80 to 120

- Overall opinion on the engine
Simply super

- Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.
No complaints here. It is easy to use in heavy traffic as well as long roads

- Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
City around 10kmpl
Highway 7.5 kmpl
Filling the fuel tank takes ages as there is a huge amount of air lock. Toyota could have given a air lock release button like in Fabia. Petrol station guys get really irritated when I try to do a full real top up

- Suspension & ride quality
The first thing my wife noticed was how my driving had changed and I was driving smoothly. I said to her, I never change my driving style for anybody and it then struck her the innova is smooth and soft and hence she doesnt feel the ship like rolling of scorpio on the bad roads near our home.

- Handling, on-road behaviour and grip levels
Car like handling even at high speeds.
The grip is less on high speeds. Might be due to small tyres

- Comments on the steering, braking, high speed stability etc.
Steering is very soft. Need steady hands above 120 kmph
But braking is very low. In scorpio, I could brake with confidence from 140 kmph but in innova, braking at 150 is scary. I feel Toyota should improve the braking of this vehicle.
During 3rd service at 11K km, the service advisor said the brake pads are worn out and only 11mm is left. Is it because the brakes are soft or because of my driving skills.
I can take curves easily compared to Scorpio

- Any particular likes (damped ashtrays, powerful headlights, music system etc.)
- Any particular dislikes (small mirrors, weak wipers, weak foglamps etc.)
Headlights are not bright enough. I rarely do night travel but had to do on couple of occasions and felt the lights were simply not enough.

- Review on overall practicality (luggage room, ease of ingress/egress, cubby holes etc.)
The space and ride comfort has finally got to my wife and now she is a full convert

- Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced

- Quality of after-sales service (if experienced)

- Cost of upkeep & maintenance
So far within limits
What really surprised me was the service center.
They have give 4 free services, 1K, 5K, 10K (oil change), 15K
At 1000km, when my driver took the vehicle, they gave it back in 3 hours saying it is just general check up. (not sure why they have this as the car was not available for half a day for school) For 5K service, i had to go as driver on leave and they promised a 3 hour delivery saying only washing and general check up. Nothing like Mahindra service which I had experienced so far. They did miss the 3 hour deadline though giving me something to complain about The 3rd service at 10K got postponed to 11K as I was traveling and they said the wheel alignment and balancing is covered under the service, no charge. Oil change Rs. 3000. But the sad part was this brake shoe worn out issue. Based on your feedback, I am planning to write to Toyota on their brake pad quality. Still they gave the vehicle in 3 hours. The same would have taken a full day at Mahindra. After checking the invoice yesterday, I found that they have charged for the wheel alignment.

Follow UP: After writing to Ravindu Toyota about this issue, they clarified, the brake pads thickness mentioned in service report was 1.1 mm thick and not 11 mm as I had assumed. They get atleast 3 to 4 vehicles with this issue every week. Even though they didnt openly admit it, I got an idea from the person who spoke to me that this easy wear and tear of brake pads maybe due to smaller size of the pads compared to other vehicles.

- Anything else you wish to add about your car
What I miss in this vehicle compared to Scorpio are

Ground Clearance of Scorpio: Still coming to grips with some huge speed breakers on the regular route I travel.

Cruise Control: With Scorpio, it was easy to put the vehicle on 135 and cruise along where as with Innova it is not possible to cruise

Better Brakes: Brakes have to be improved

Better Audio Alarms: Door open and fuel alarms should be heard. (Presently only lights go on.

Reverse Sensor: The IB GX model doesnt come with a reverse sensor. The one on scorpio was real good. The after market ones available are not that good. Especially the mirror quality.

Micro Hybrid from Scorpio: The on / off system which is very useful in long signals and other palces espeicaly while doing photographing birds from the car. The car will switch off automatically and I can shoot without shake. With Innova, I have to spend precious seconds to switch off the car and and again switch on if I have move the car a few feet ahead or back

Today is the end of 3rd month and I am still at 12000 km as I was using my Brother in law's Fabia for local travel.
I have asked for a quote for toyota smiles package from 15000. This seems a better bargain considering the costs involed in 20K and 30K service.
Let us see .....

Best regards
Bala
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova: 11000 kms, 2 months and 3 services later-car271.jpg  

Last edited by balan : 29th September 2012 at 19:52. Reason: Mod told me to edit it again
balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 22:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Innova: 11000km and 2 months and 3 services later

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post

During 3rd service at 11K km, the service advisor said the brake pads are worn out and only 11mm is left. Is it because the brakes are soft or because of my driving skills.
I am not exactly sure of Innova brake pad spec, but the new ceramic brakepads on my Camry comes Front - new 12 mm, 2 mm minimum, Rear - new 11 mm, 2 mm minimum and I generally change it when it reaches 2-3 mm.

As per your post 11 mm is a long way to go, the service fellow seems to be taking you for a ride, please double check.

Last edited by tj123 : 27th September 2012 at 22:23. Reason: Typo
Old 27th September 2012, 22:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best regards
Bala
Bala - you might want to check with other dealers too or even over phone. 11mm is sufficient brakelining width. You might need to change it if its < 4 mm considering safety.
Old 27th September 2012, 22:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice crisp review of the Innova. Its a proven workhorse indeed. Do post some pictures of your ride. Also I sincerely request you to not drive it on speeds in excess of 120 kmph. I actually don't unerstand how you guys can take the Innova on speeds more than that. Mine struggles to reach 120 and the engine noise is irritating at that level. Also given its MUV stance, the slightest of turns or braking sends a chill down your spine and the vehicle doesn't inspire any confidence at all.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on your feedback, I am planning to write to Toyota on their brake pad quality. Still they gave the vehicle in 3 hours. The same would have taken a full day at Mahindra

Today is the end of 3rd month and I am still at 12000 km as I was using my Brother in law's Fabia for local travel.

Let us see .....

Best regards
Bala
Hi - good to see your f/b on the Innova. WRT braking, is it the issue with grip or is it an issue with fading. Grip can be sorted out quickly if you upgrade to 225/60R15 tires. I have a VX with this size and the braking is superb. Of course the ABS helps too but unsure if you get that in GX too now.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

2 months and 11k on the Odo?

That is some amount of driving, but I guess driver does most of it as you mentioned having a driver. Anyways, congrats on the new Innova, somehow the front design is much better in this 3rd iteration.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Hi - good to see your f/b on the Innova. WRT braking, is it the issue with grip or is it an issue with fading. Grip can be sorted out quickly if you upgrade to 225/60R15 tires. I have a VX with this size and the braking is superb. Of course the ABS helps too but unsure if you get that in GX too now.
I did go for the ABS model under G variant. I think it must be the smaller tires giving a queasy feeling at high speeds. Heard that bigger tyres compromise on the ride quality??? How does your Innova feel on bigger tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Nice crisp review of the Innova. Its a proven workhorse indeed. Do post some pictures of your ride. Also I sincerely request you to not drive it on speeds in excess of 120 kmph. I actually don't unerstand how you guys can take the Innova on speeds more than that. Mine struggles to reach 120 and the engine noise is irritating at that level. Also given its MUV stance, the slightest of turns or braking sends a chill down your spine and the vehicle doesn't inspire any confidence at all.
The present innova comes with a turbo intercooler (city versions) where as in smaller cities like Madurai, they dont have the intercooler version. Infact a local car acccessory person asked if I had fitted the turbo in after market. The turbo takes a long time to kick in and take the speed up but it does easily do 160 but on that speed, it is scary. At 140, you can drive confidently. Only other cars I have seen driving that confidently on the BLR - Madurai highway are ford figos which regularly do 150. At this speeds, I get around 7.5 km per liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Bala - you might want to check with other dealers too or even over phone. 11mm is sufficient brakelining width. You might need to change it if its < 4 mm considering safety.
The service report says the brake pads are 11mm and brake liners are 9 mm. I presume brake liners are the discs

I will follow up with Toyota on this.
Thx guys
Best regards
Bala
Old 28th September 2012, 17:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
2 months and 11k on the Odo?

That is some amount of driving, but I guess driver does most of it as you mentioned having a driver. Anyways, congrats on the new Innova, somehow the front design is much better in this 3rd iteration.
I usually average around 4000 km a month. The first 2 months were insane as I had to make couple of urgent trips to Mudumalai and Madurai while my brother in law took the car to BR hills and Hyderabad.
The car has seen 2 leopards, one tiger, quite a few elephants, a pair of fighting bull elephants, countless deer and gaur.

Inside city, driver does the driving. Once on the highway after Krishnagiri or Mysore, I send him back and do self driving. When he is driving, he is not allowed to go above 120.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did go for the ABS model under G variant. I think it must be the smaller tires giving a queasy feeling at high speeds. Heard that bigger tyres compromise on the ride quality??? How does your Innova feel on bigger tires?Bala
I have checked two innova's recently - I have the pre facelift (But with climate control etc) 2009 VX while my friend has the 2012 Vx. I have 225/60 tires and the steeriing feel rock solid at 120kmph. His steering lightens up a bit. His driver likes the light steering...I like mine to be weighted as a matter of choice.

Check out yokohama c.drives in 225/60R15 and your steering will improve tremendously. The brake pads, I think I changed mine around 30k mark which to me seemed a bit early too. The ones I had in my other car lasted 60k kms.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 17:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Check out yokohama c.drives in 225/60R15 and your steering will improve tremendously. The brake pads, I think I changed mine around 30k mark which to me seemed a bit early too. The ones I had in my other car lasted 60k kms.
After 42000 km and some real rough roads the tires gave away and had to urgently replace them at madurai yokohoma 225 costs 9300 each and was beyond my budget hence went with yokohoma 205/75 @ 5700 each which gives little extra ground clearance
For he 40000 km service tried out nandi toyita which opened recently near my house and the service advisor made me feel like I was in a mahindra or tata service center didnt do he 2 simple tasks I had requested but tried to push off extra billable items never again to nandi toyota
11 months and 44000 km not bad
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:20   #11
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: 11000 kms, 2 months and 3 services later

I think the brake pad issue has to do with your driving style, cause in my Innova the original set of brake pads lasted for 63000kms. That too only the front brake pads have been changed the rear ones are still the original set and have 5000kms life left in them. Also a mileage of 7.5kmpl at 140kph is too low. I get about 9.8kmpl at 140kph and 14kmpl when driven at 100kph. I have a '09 Innova GX by the way. Also it has a brilliant steering that weighs up very well at higher speeds. I have a feeling that you've not yet gotten over driving a Scorpio .
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hello Balan, its been more than 8 months since your last update on this thread. Hope your Innova is still rocking & by the time I am writing this post you would be inching closer to the 70K mark or already crossed it?

How has your Innova performed till date? Any major/minor issues? Has your braking improved or got used to it by now? Do you miss any features which are there in the VX model & not there in the GX version?
Old 17th February 2014, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Balan, its been more than 8 months since your last update on this thread. Hope your Innova is still rocking & by the time I am writing this post you would be inching closer to the 70K mark or already crossed it?

How has your Innova performed till date? Any major/minor issues? Has your braking improved or got used to it by now? Do you miss any features which are there in the VX model & not there in the GX version?
Basically laziness to post. I personally wanted to post something like 1 year and one lakh km later. But could do only 50K.
Coincidence today the innova has done 75K after my umpteenth trip to Kodai. The brakes / pads are still like that wearing off around 15K. I am not sure what is wrong with my driving style. No major issues. Around 60K, they changed the bearing in the wheel under warranty. The broken bearing ate up one side of my new yokohoma tyre.
In between tested Nandi service and Viva service. I think both times, the same service advisor ended up servicing my vehicle. The guy was only interested in upselling more services rather than following the service brief I had sent through my driver. Ravindu are ok doing their job.
Need a non company paint / tinkering shop which an touch up all the scratches and dents.
No major issues so far. Fingers crossed. Touch wood
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 09:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically laziness to post. I personally wanted to post something like 1 year and one lakh km later. But could do only 50K.
Coincidence today the innova has done 75K after my umpteenth trip to Kodai.
Thank you Sir for your reply & congratulations on reaching the 75K milestone in just over a year & a half, this is no mean feat .

Quote:
The brakes / pads are still like that wearing off around 15K. I am not sure what is wrong with my driving style. No major issues. Around 60K, they changed the bearing in the wheel under warranty. The broken bearing ate up one side of my new yokohoma tyre.
If it is possible try to see if changing driving style helps. Drive in anticipation. I mean don't hit the brake pedal at the last moment. Remove your foot from the accelerator & let the car decelerate. Only if it is not going to slow down within the desired distance, then apply brakes gently. Sad to know about the broken bearing & worn out tyre, but didn't you notice any humming sound coming from that tyre, it could have saved your tyre had you replaced it in time.

Quote:
In between tested Nandi service and Viva service. I think both times, the same service advisor ended up servicing my vehicle. The guy was only interested in upselling more services rather than following the service brief I had sent through my driver. Ravindu are ok doing their job.
Need a non company paint / tinkering shop which an touch up all the scratches and dents.
This is rather unusual for a Toyota Service Centre. Toyota is know to stick to the manual, hence their servicing charges/maintenance costs are one of the lowest in the industry.

Quote:
No major issues so far. Fingers crossed. Touch wood
Best regards
Bala
Wishing you many more happy (s)miles with your workhorse & please keep this thread updating regularly.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The brakes / pads are still like that wearing off around 15K. I am not sure what is wrong with my driving style. No major issues.
I would also recommend a driving style where you "anticipate" braking needs. I have not had to replace brake pad for over 40k KMs now. Many of my friends have Innovas and their experience is somewhat similar viz. 40k- 75k for brake pads.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks