Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 14:30   #16
BHPian

Re: The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership

Crisp report there @Tassem. Thanks.

Most of the folks still think that the fluidic verna like its predecessor is also a 'boat'. While I would not even think of comparing this car to a boat, I have to admit that the "uncomfortable feeling" that you mentioned about, can be a bit unnerving at times.

An issue which I face in my car, is that the front end seems to just crash into even minor potholes if you are moving at anything above crawling pace. Usually this is accompanied by loud sounds - like metal parts (lower arms??) hitting the road. Hence I'm interested in knowing more about the following part of your report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
There is a warranty replacement program for the front suspension coil springs. However this raises the GC and hence I wasn’t interested. I’ve asked them to check if they can replace the rear springs though.
Any idea if the above replacement program is to address such suspension issues or are there any design flaws? Also is this limited to any specific model/ batch of cars??
MaddyCrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 16:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
An issue which I face in my car, is that the front end seems to just crash into even minor potholes if you are moving at anything above crawling pace. Usually this is accompanied by loud sounds - like metal parts (lower arms??) hitting the road.
I know what you're talking about. I've been told that these are from the struts and is quite normal. They did tighten everything up once just to make me happy.

The next time you're in for service, have the car raised and look for play in the wheels. Try and move them up and down and side to side. There should be no play at all.

Quote:
Any idea if the above replacement program is to address such suspension issues or are there any design flaws? Also is this limited to any specific model/ batch of cars??
Quite a coincidence that you asked this today. I just got back from the service centre after having replaced the reverse sensors and rear springs. So far the rear seems more planted and the bounciness has definitely reduced.

When measured, I noticed an approximate increase of 3mm in the gap between the tyre and the wheel well. However, the stance hasn't changed at all. I was worried the car will look like its on stilts. But it doesn't. The new batches, all have raised suspension for the front as well. Personally I don't like the stance of the newer cars. They look too raised. As if on spacers.

To answer your questions, there is a TSB out to replace the rear springs on the first few batches. The newer cars do not need this.

I will put up a detailed log on Monday.

Here's a shot of it waiting at the lift just before the springs were swapped. (Taken at Advaith Hyundai in Bannerghatta Rd.)
Attached Thumbnails
The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership-service-upload.jpg  

Last edited by Tassem : 9th November 2012 at 17:05.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 17:12   #18
BHPian

Thanks Tassem. Just one more quick question for you.
In your earlier post, you had mentioned that the Hyundai A.S.S. offered a replacement for the front springs. But in this post you have mentioned that you actually got the rear springs replaced. I'm a bit confused here.

So is the TSB out to replace the both set of springs or is it for a specific set of Front/ Rear springs? I too felt that the bounciness more at the rear. But that could be due to the difference in loading (I drive solo 80% of the time).
Old 9th November 2012, 17:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Thanks Tassem. Just one more quick question for you.
In your earlier post, you had mentioned that the Hyundai A.S.S. offered a replacement for the front springs. But in this post you have mentioned that you actually got the rear springs replaced. I'm a bit confused here.
I'm sorry I did not correct that. I was under the impression that it was the front suspension (coilovers) they were replacing. The SA reluctantly confirmed the same. Which is why I turned down the offer. I asked them if they can replace the rear springs instead. But then I got a call and was told that its just the rear springs which are being replaced and it wont affect the stance. Hence this.

Also, I feel its the rear that isn't taut enough. I find the front suspension okay. Perhaps the weight of the engine makes it better. Its the rear that gets out of hand.

Last edited by Tassem : 9th November 2012 at 17:41.
Old 11th November 2012, 19:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
But then I got a call and was told that its just the rear springs which are being replaced and it wont affect the stance. Hence this.
Its the rear that gets out of hand.
My car is of Sept-2011 model? Is this model covered for rear spring replacement? Any improvement in GC?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 16:05   #21
BHPian

I really can't comment because I don't know which series have the warranty replacement. However, talk to the service centre and tell them to get the part. Don't ask them if your model falls under the series, because they will obviously say no. That is assuming that they agree to the TSB existing at all!

As for the GC, there is only a slight difference. Definitely <4mm. However the rear feels more planted. Not totally planted, but better.

Once I get out with a fully loaded car, I will update here if the scraping has been taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
My car is of Sept-2011 model? Is this model covered for rear spring replacement? Any improvement in GC?

Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 08:39   #22
BHPian

Hey Tassem, fellow Fluidic 1.6 SX owner here - picked up the beaut only 2 days ago and I would like to seek some advise from you.

The stuff you did with your HiD fog's was just awesome, but sadly I am hardly a DiY type person (lack the skills you see, ) so asked around in a couple of decent auto accessories shop, they are quoting me anything between 7-8k for the complete kit and installation. Does this seem about right? Or alternatively can you pm me / reply here with the details of the ebay supplier? I did copy paste from your thread, but I got confused by the number of hits I got and didnt know what I was to look for.

Also, I drive on an e-way daily (commuting to and from work) and the headlights of the car seem rather poor, so would you recommend a HiD headlamp set (if such a thing exists) or do I go the usual 100/90 Philips rally lights?

Cheers,
Stribog
Old 14th November 2012, 11:32   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your new car! I'm sure you're having a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
they are quoting me anything between 7-8k for the complete kit and installation. Does this seem about right?
That's a total ripoff. Come to think of it, almost all the locally available no name brands are a ripoff. The online ones will cost you <2k including delivery.

This is the seller I strongly suggest. Excellent customer service. No questions asked replacement policy as well. I had one of my lamp/ballast replaced due to a flickering issue. He also sent me a set of extra bulbs just in case.

Installation is a 10min job. You just need to remove two screws. That's it. Just two screws. And no, the bumper does not have to come off the car.

Quote:
Also, I drive on an e-way daily (commuting to and from work) and the headlights of the car seem rather poor, so would you recommend a HiD headlamp set (if such a thing exists) or do I go the usual 100/90 Philips rally lights?
To be honest, unless and until we have proper highway manners (dipped beams) you can keep upgrading all you want and it wont make any difference. Its not the lighting thats at fault. Its the intensive high beams from the opposite direction.

But, to answer your question - If HID is your thing, then a proper retrofit is what I suggest. Cost will be in the range of 6-20k depending on what kit you choose, if you work on the existing headlamp units.

100/90 is easier. I did it as a DIY and it took me less than an hour. The kit including bulbs should cost you 1k. Installation will cost another 200 if you get it done outside. However by doing it yourself, you ensure that proper care is taken. If you look at my engine bay, you will not be able to notice anything different. I've even ensured proper sealing using silicon. Its been over a year and I haven't seen any fogging whatsoever.

I must admit that even with all this, visibility during rains is not all that great. Especially in the city. On the highway, the lights are brilliant and confidence inspiring.

I would also suggest you try Nightbreaker Plus from Osram. While not 100/90 territory, they're better than stock. Philips Extreme Vision is also similar in performance.

And don't discount yourself by saying that you don't have the skills. All you need are opposable thumbs and some patience. I'm sure you have the former. You decide if you have the latter

Last edited by Tassem : 14th November 2012 at 11:41.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 15:37   #24
BHPian

I had talked to couple of Hyundai A.S.S. in Trivandrum but all of them categorically denied the receipt/ knowledge of a TSB on suspension/ spring change for the Fluidic Verna .
Old 17th November 2012, 09:35   #25
BHPian

Thanks Taseem - both for the feedback, and the encouraging words.

I am going to purchase the kit online - going to use the exact same kit you purchased, and then it is DiY time I guess....
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 12:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog
Thanks Taseem - both for the feedback, and the encouraging words.

I am going to purchase the kit online - going to use the exact same kit you purchased, and then it is DiY time I guess....
If you are ordering a kit then make sure you purchase the relay harness for the bulb socket type too. Because here in India any harness other than h4 type is impossible to get.

Then you can have a really hassle free install!

If you are planning for the hid in fogs then I highly recommend to purchase the h27 wiring harness along with the hid kit. The kit comes only with bulb and ballast. You should purchase the harness separately

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 17th November 2012 at 12:07.
Old 25th February 2013, 20:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
[i]She's sexy, she's beautiful and her vital statistics will make you go crazy. But don't ask her to dance.
===========
The suspension does take away from the driving experience. Especially due to the gem of an engine. But I intend to sort this out when its time to replace it. Perhaps at the 40k mark we'll see some stiff competition. Pun intended.
Great review of the car Taseem.

I too own a Fluidic Verna - just completed 10K and she is a beauty. My thoughts on the soft suspension: I have observed that if you really slow down to around 15-20 KPMH while navigating a speed breaker it does reduce the chances of scraping substantially. I have tried this with 4 people (adults) seated and has worked on most of the ugly speed breakers.

Andy
eethanhunt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 03:36   #28
BHPian

Re: Painted!

Quote:
Finally found the time to get the front done. I love the new look!! Also got the front and rear bumpers painted.

Here's a teaser with the DRL strip and HID Fogs. Will click proper pictures over the weekend.
Hi Tassem, I noticed your the DRL's and custom grill job. Wanted to know where you got it from and for how much. I am thinking of getting the same or similar done for quite some time now but have not been able to find a decent pair !
Old 17th July 2013, 16:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
[i][b]
The suspension does take away from the driving experience. Especially due to the gem of an engine. But I intend to sort this out when its time to replace it. Perhaps at the 40k mark we'll see some stiff competition. Pun intended.
Guessing you have crossed your 40k mark by now, any plans of changing your suspension?

I love my Fluidic Verna so much, but when it comes to suspension, all the excitement goes off. I'm searching for an after-market stiffer suspension upgrade every where but couldn't find one till date.

Any idea of where can I get this done? I'm from Hyderabad but I'm willing to travel anywhere in India to get this done.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I love my Fluidic Verna so much, but when it comes to suspension, all the excitement goes off.
RedRooster have tein suspension for Fluidic Verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks