Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 13:56   #1
BHPian

The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership

She's sexy, she's beautiful and her vital statistics will make you go crazy. But don't ask her to dance.

Without being racist, I think we can learn a lot about korean products from the recently viral 'Gangnam Style' video. They look great, have great ideas and can do great things if they choose to. Though dont expect the poise and grace of a ballet dancer.

Pretty much sums it up eh?

My verna has now completed 20k km and I felt it would be a good time to update some service history as well as maintain a record of all the issues I come across with this beautiful korean. This may come in handy for owners/prospective owners to get an idea of what to expect from our friends across the sea.

I won’t be talking about the usual washed and dried topics. I’m sure you will appreciate this. Please feel free to ask questions though.

Model: 2011 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi in Crystal White
Current ODO: 20650 KM

The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership-dsc02188-edit.jpg

Gallery can be found here.

Modifications/Additions:

Exterior:
  • Debadged
  • HID Fog Lamps
  • 100/90 Headlamp Conversion
  • 15X6.5J EVO Wheels
  • Chromed Allen Key Lug Nuts

Interior:
  • Boston Acoustics Components (Front/Rear)
  • JBL Amp and 12” Woofer
  • Satellite Navigation
  • Reverse Camera
  • Door scuff plates
  • OEM Mats
  • My Shaldan Air Freshner (Only Lemon)

Love:
  • Smooth and Silent CRDi unit
  • Acceleration
  • Looks and Interiors
  • Light Steering

Hate:
  • Suspension
    - Wallowy under spirited driving.
    - Scrapes the infamous bangalore humps when fully loaded.

• Reverse Sensors
    - Bloody thing has a mind of its own. More of a nuisance than anything else.

• Squeaks from the rear parcel tray. (I think)

Neutral:
  • Gear Ratios.
    - Constant clutch usage in traffic due to the torquey nature of the motor.
    - Six speed box is a boon during highway drives. Contributes to the gas economy as well.

• Rear view.
    - Very limited rear view due to the coupe-ish design. Hard to judge distance. Makes the camera / sensors a necessity. I used to find it a breeze parking my Lancer. The visibility was great in that car.
Average Use:

City: 70%
Highway: 30%

Tyre Pressure:

32 psi All Around
36 psi Spare

Fuel:

Regular Pump Diesel

Average Mileage:

City: 12.5
Highway: 20

Service History:

========================

First Service

Date: 16/07/2011
ODO: 1353
Cost: 0

Parts:

None

Comments:
  • Say no to wiper fluid. It’s a rip-off.
  • First Service is nothing but a general look-over.
  • They top up all fluids. In my case, nothing required topping up.
  • I had complained about the reverse sensors acting up. Checked and resolved.
  • Free wash
========================

Second Service

Date:27/01/2012
ODO: 10586
Cost: INR 4192

Parts:
  1. 5.3 Ltr Engine Oil @ INR 1185
  2. Diesel Filter Cartridge @ INR 1744
  3. Air Filter @ INR 302
  4. Oil Filter @ INR 344
  5. Consumables @ INR 101 (<<< Total Rip off!!)
  6. Battery Terminal (+) @ INR 0 (Silent warranty replacement due to a
    manufacturing defect)

Comments:
  • Say no to Wiper Fluid.
  • Say no to Teflon.
  • Reverse sensors were acting up again. They would work intermittently. At times they would beep continuously.
========================

Third Service

Date: 12/10/2012
ODO: 20621
Cost: INR 4473

Parts:
  1. 5.3 Ltr Engine Oil @ INR 1180
  2. Diesel Filter Cartridge @ INR 1736
  3. Air Filter @ INR 301
  4. Oil Filter @ INR 363
  5. Consumables @ INR 177 (<<< Total Rip off!!)
Comments:
  • Say no to wiper fluid.
  • Say no to underbody coating.
  • Say no to Teflon / Polish.
  • I just noticed that they charged me Rs.150 labour for replacing Diesel Filter. Strange since this was a free service.
  • There was a rattle from the steering column. They tightened a nut on the steering rack. The noise is no longer there. (At least for now.)
  • All four reverse sensors are being replaced under warranty.

There is a warranty replacement program for the front suspension coil springs. However this raises the GC and hence I wasn’t interested. I’ve asked them to check if they can replace the rear springs though.

========================

Others:
  • It’s a good idea to get a body touch up and polish done every 18 months. 12 months if you have extensive scratches etc. Not at the A.S.S though. I’ve heard good things about 3M.
  • Try not to fall for the Teflon/Underbody argument. It has been discussed extensively on this forum. Search and thou shalt find thy answers.

Overall:

I love the car. Its easy to fall in love with the new Verna. But I hate the feeling in my stomach every time it scrapes a speed hump. Though I must admit that this has more to do with the Bangalore traffic department's complete lack of engineering prowess than anything else. Some of these humps are just a few cm short of a wall!

The suspension does take away from the driving experience. Especially due to the gem of an engine. But I intend to sort this out when its time to replace it. Perhaps at the 40k mark we'll see some stiff competition. Pun intended.

Last edited by Tassem : 14th October 2012 at 14:18.
Tassem is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 14:32   #2
BHPian

Re: The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership

Great Ownership log. Congratulations on crossing the 20k mark. I have been regular follower of your initial ownership reports including the antenna DIY! Have missed the ICE up-gradation part though. Have you added the Hi-Lo converter to fit the amp? Does the car require diesel filter change every 10k kms?

Isn't there a provision to replace the stock suspension with after market performance suspension kit like the Bilstein? It would make the car perfect IMO.

It would be great if you post the link of your Initial Report too.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 14th October 2012 at 14:36.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 15:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Great Ownership log. Congratulations on crossing the 20k mark. I have been regular follower of your initial ownership reports including the antenna DIY! Have missed the ICE up-gradation part though. Have you added the Hi-Lo converter to fit the amp? Does the car require diesel filter change every 10k kms?

Isn't there a provision to replace the stock suspension with after market performance suspension kit like the Bilstein? It would make the car perfect IMO.

It would be great if you post the link of your Initial Report too.
Hey thanks! I haven't put up a thread for the ICE upgrade. There's no initial report either. I convinced my lazy self that there wasn't any need to. Since there are so many detailed threads on initial ownership.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I have installed a Line output converter. The Audison Connection SLI4 Module. Don't really remember the price though. See details here.

I'm not really sure if its necessary to replace the diesel filter every 10k. But I do it due to two reasons. Firstly it doesn't cost a bomb. Secondly, I'm sure you've heard about the fuel quality woes in India. So why take a risk.

I intend to replace the suspension with something better. Lot of options available. But only after the current suspension has gone out of service. Or 35-40k km.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Verna ! This is one car I'd buy just for how good it looks,ride and handling be damned.

Good write up too,short and to the point.

Wish you many safe miles in your new car
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 18:42   #5
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
My verna has now completed 20k km and I felt it would be a good time to update some service history as well as maintain a record of all the issues I come across with this beautiful korean.

Overall:

. But I hate the feeling in my stomach every time it scrapes a speed hump.

The suspension does take away from the driving experience. Especially due to the gem of an engine. But I intend to sort this out when its time to replace it. Perhaps at the 40k mark we'll see some stiff competition. Pun intended.
My June 2011 Verna has completed 16K. I on the same page as you on the likes, dislikes and even issues! The rear parcel tray squeak is also there.

Additionally, I had a problem with the clutch with a krrr noise under load. Hyundai replaced the whole clutch unit under warranty during my 2nd service at 9K kms.

The low seating is also not too much to my liking.

Happy motoring

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th October 2012, 21:37   #6
BHPian

Tassem,
I recently test drove the Verna and quite liked it! I just drove it on en empty patch for a while and reached upto 80kph. Couldn't feel any difference in the ride. Maybe as the speed increases, the suspension might start acting weird. What is the speed you can drive it on without getting that 'Boat' feeling?
And is it really that bad?

I quite liked the ride quality as well. It could handle the undulations of the road pretty well. What are your views on this?

Apart from the squeak from the rear parcel tray, how is the build quality of the car? Any other rattles?
Old 14th October 2012, 23:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
My June 2011 Verna has completed 16K. I on the same page as you on the likes, dislikes and even issues! The rear parcel tray squeak is also there.

Additionally, I had a problem with the clutch with a krrr noise under load. Hyundai replaced the whole clutch unit under warranty during my 2nd service at 9K kms.

The low seating is also not too much to my liking.

Happy motoring

Cheers

KPS
Luckily my clutch has not given any problems. But the reat parcel tray is a major irritation. Sounds like an old squeaky fridge door at times. But I've noticed that this happens only when I'm on an incline with just one of the rear suspension compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Tassem,
I recently test drove the Verna and quite liked it! I just drove it on en empty patch for a while and reached upto 80kph. Couldn't feel any difference in the ride. Maybe as the speed increases, the suspension might start acting weird. What is the speed you can drive it on without getting that 'Boat' feeling?
And is it really that bad?

I quite liked the ride quality as well. It could handle the undulations of the road pretty well. What are your views on this?

Apart from the squeak from the rear parcel tray, how is the build quality of the car? Any other rattles?
I'm sorry if I've misled you. Most of the boat comments are from people who've just taken it on a test drive. Most owners will tell you this is not true. You can drive the car at any speed without having issues as long as the road is reasonably good. For example, the Salem expressway is a beautiful road to experience this. But sudden undulations on the road cause the suspension to go into overdrive and its not a great feeling. At no point will you feel that something will go wrong. You just get this uncomfortable feel that the car is bouncing quite a bit. That's all. Also this is pronounced only at speeds above 120.

Build quality is great. Its no German, but its not like the Koreans of yesterday either. The doors and panels are reasonably heavy. And it does not veer if a heavy vehicle overtakes you at high speeds. No rattles etc. either. The big two sources of noise are the rear tray and the sunglass holder. Shades tend to rattle inside the holder. It should have better padding imho. I used to get a rattle from my steering as well. But it appears to have been fixed now.

Last edited by Tassem : 14th October 2012 at 23:14.
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:00   #8
BHPian

Have you considered a tyre upgrade? Any recommendations? I would be interested in the CRDI SX(O) variant.
Old 15th October 2012, 00:15   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 17:38.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Have you considered a tyre upgrade? Any recommendations? I would be interested in the CRDI SX(O) variant.
A 205 section tyre should make a noticeable difference. I will upgrade in another 15k km once these tyres have no life left in them. I will be upgrading the alloys as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Just one question, does getting aftermarket alloy wheels void the warranty by any chance?
Technically it should void the warranty. But I haven't heard any complaints from the service centre. I guess they let it slip because almost every car that comes in has aftermarket alloys these days.

Sticking to the same service centre is always useful because you can get them to make exceptions if required. Plus it pays to be nice to them. I always stand and watch my car being serviced. This lets me keep an eye on the work done while helping build a relationship with the people there.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 17:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 15th October 2012, 08:49   #11
BHPian

Congrats Tassem. Your car is definitely a looker and your wonderful photographs do full justice to it.

Happy Motoring and wish you many more miles !!!!
pradyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 17:27   #12
BHPian

Indeed a wonderful car on all fronts but for me biggest short coming was that of the under thigh support at the front as well as back seats. Did you feel anything missing on the seat comfort or is it okay for you ?
Old 15th October 2012, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang29 View Post
Indeed a wonderful car on all fronts but for me biggest short coming was that of the under thigh support at the front as well as back seats. Did you feel anything missing on the seat comfort or is it okay for you ?
To be honest I haven't found the seats bad. I'm only 5' 8 though. So if you're taller, you may find it a bit short. My brother is 6' and he finds it ok as well.

One of my biggest gripes is that the front seat doesn't really adjust in height. The adjustment is just for the seat angle; ie just the front part of the seat goes up and down instead of the whole seat.

I must add that I've never found the seats uncomfortable even on 800km trips.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 21:01   #14
BHPian

Spoke to my SA at Advaith today. The reverse sensors have arrived and they've asked me to take the car in for replacement.

However, I am now considering the coil spring replacement and have to wait a week for it to arrive.

Meanwhile, I'm having the bumpers repainted at Sai Colorium due to some damage caused by the valet guys at work. They're running a great offer for T-BHP members and its all the more reason for me to try them out. Can't go DIY because the scratch is too deep.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:44   #15
BHPian

Painted!

Finally found the time to get the front done. I love the new look!! Also got the front and rear bumpers painted.

Here's a teaser with the DRL strip and HID Fogs. Will click proper pictures over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership-upload.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks