Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 12:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi, 1 Year & 20,000 KM Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Actually, I am not feeling much difference. The drivability has gone up a notch. The 2nd and 3rd is more drivable now. The box was taken from my friend' 2007 Swift LDi that we had before. There was a marked difference in behavior with and without the box in that car...
Wild guess - Is it because the tuning of both engines are different? The new Swift Ds have a more linear power delivery & the box would be optimized for the old Swift Ds with wild turbo thrust. Could be the issue.

You could check with your friend whether he can send the box to Petes and have it re-mapped to the new Swift. They might do it free of cost or a marginal fee.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
I am a newbie to diesel .Can you please share the info on how one must drive during the run in period ?
You can check this
http://www.team-bhp.com/web/index.ph...2_articleid=25

for the same .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 23:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir for promptly updating the thread.
I have also booked a ZDi yesterday and the dealer promised to deliver the car latest by the 15th of next month.
Request you to post some pics of the car after the installation of those rubber strips and bumper guards.
I am a newbie to diesel .Can you please share the info on how one must drive during the run in period ?
Please don't call me sir and congrats on the ZDi. I will post the pictures tomorrow. You'll do well to follow the recommendations in the link that Schoudhury posted. Also, do follow the idling rule as mentioned in this excellent thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html

And if budget permits, you can go for a tyre swap after taking delivery. This will fetch you the maximum buck for the stock tyre. Michelin XM2 is available in stock size and is a very good upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wild guess - Is it because the tuning of both engines are different? The new Swift Ds have a more linear power delivery & the box would be optimized for the old Swift Ds with wild turbo thrust. Could be the issue.

You could check with your friend whether he can send the box to Petes and have it re-mapped to the new Swift. They might do it free of cost or a marginal fee.
I took the box to them as posted before. They inspected the box inside out and it is working fine. The difference is due to the tuning of the engine. I may fit it back on Saturday. Pete's is just 30 mins away from home.

Some pictures from the Valparai trip.
The colour looks amazing under the sun.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040853.jpg
Valparai is beautiful.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040880.jpg
Very!
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040869.jpg
Old 20th February 2013, 00:47   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The difference is due to the tuning of the engine. I may fit it back on Saturday. Pete's is just 30 mins away from home...
Just as I thought. The question still is, whether they are upgrading the maps to match the new engine tuning? Or are you going to run it just the way it is. If indeed you are getting new map, how much is Petes charging?
Old 20th February 2013, 08:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Please don't call me sir and congrats on the ZDi. I will post the pictures tomorrow. You'll do well to follow the recommendations in the link that Schoudhury posted. Also, do follow the idling rule as mentioned in this excellent thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html

And if budget permits, you can go for a tyre swap after taking delivery. This will fetch you the maximum buck for the stock tyre. Michelin XM2 is available in stock size and is a very good upgrade.
Thank you for your wishes !
I do want to swap the stock MRF rubber with something better.But I have delayed my plans for the tyre change for a while due to lack of vitamin M.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The question still is, whether they are upgrading the maps to match the new engine tuning? Or are you going to run it just the way it is.
I have no idea whether Pete's can alter the parameters on the box to suit the engine. I doubt it since the box is imported from PSI. What I know is that they have remaps available for the DDiS. Don't know the cost though.

One disadvantage with the PSI box is the added NVH. The engine is hardly audible in stock form but turns a bit coarse with the box on. Also, there is a dead spot at 1500 rpm for the DDiS which is pronounced when the box is on. This evident when you feather the throttle say in second gear.

I am going to Pete's on Saturday. I need to get the air filter cleaned and oiled.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 08:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

I took Kungipalu to the ever helping guys at Pete's on Sunday for the filter wash and oiling. It was a little more than 5K KM after fitting the cotton filter. I brushed the dust off twice during this period but nothing like a wash. There were some insects and loose dust on the filter when it came off the air box. It took a total of around 90 minutes for washing, drying and oiling.

I spend the time chatting to the guys there at Pete's and they have a new remap for the Swift. It is done in the UK and takes a day. They send and receive the parameters by mail. The cost is 32K and they offered a discount on the same if I were to give the PSI box in exchange. There is also a 10 day full money back guarantee if I didn't like the map. Sounds very interesting.

Quote:
Request you to post some pics of the car after the installation of those rubber strips and bumper guards.
There you go. Sorry for the delay!

More than protection, these guards make the car look good.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130306-08.48.09.jpg

It was not easy to source these from MASS. All they have now is the ugly long ones with chrome for the new Swift
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130306-08.47.42.jpg

It is not visible in the photo but those small strips does have some depth and can save the paint from chipping if you kiss a wall during parking.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-forumrunner_20130228_131511.jpg

Kungipalu stripped off all plastics and the rear seat during the interior trim fiasco at Indus during last service.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130114-10.43.01.jpg
Old 8th March 2013, 10:08   #53
BHPian

The protectors looks good .It seems to be a new addition to the MGA list. If my memory is right, I was only offered those with the chrome lining two days before.
I will be taking delivery of my silver ZDi today evening.
Thank you for updating the thread with the pics.
Planning to get those bumber guards installed during the 1st service. Can you please explain what the difficulty was in sourcing those protectors ?
Regards
Vishnu
Old 8th March 2013, 10:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The protectors looks good .It seems to be a new addition to the MGA list. If my memory is right, I was only offered those with the chrome lining two days before.
I will be taking delivery of my silver ZDi today evening.
Thank you for updating the thread with the pics.
Planning to get those bumber guards installed during the 1st service. Can you please explain what the difficulty was in sourcing those protectors ?
Regards
Vishnu
These are the guards for the old Swift, not new additions. Every MASS now carry the ugly long ones. I had to go to 3 different shops to get these. It costs INR 500 approx. for a set of 4. Have a great day!
Old 15th March 2013, 15:07   #55
BHPian

@deetjohn. Nice place to install the front bumper gaurds. Even, myself and another bhpian geeash went for them instead of the ugly chrome inserted ones for the new Swift that MASS is selling, but painted them to body color.
Old 16th March 2013, 10:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
@deetjohn. Nice place to install the front bumper gaurds. Even, myself and another bhpian geeash went for them instead of the ugly chrome inserted ones for the new Swift that MASS is selling, but painted them to body color.
I see a lot of cars with these old bumper guards. The new ones are very ugly. I also love the ones in the Chevy Sail and the Honda Brio. Looks very good indeed. The Toyota Etios ones are also the right size but got an awkward twist in them.

23000 Update

For the past one week, I have been getting a very feeble sound from the front of the car when I turn full right for U turns or reverse back into our porch. It goes kat kat kat and not noticeable if there is traffic around you. It happens when the steering comes back to the centre after the turn. And only from the right side.

I cannot stand awkward noises from the car and I took the car to Indus Vytilla on Thursday. The Manager there, Mr. Linu has been really helpful to get everything sorted out after the 20K service issues. He told me it could be either the strut or the bushes.

I left the car there and Indus overhauled the front suspension, both right and left, and lubricated the bushes. The struts were found to be alright. They corrected the steering for the play as well. It took one full day. They also washed and vacuumed the car. I took a long TD and found the car to be very tight. The steering is faster than before and I am loving it. And so far, I haven't got the awkward sound yet.

And the best bit, Indus Vytilla didn't charge me a dime. Though, it started on a sour note, I am glad that I could build a relationship with the SA and the Manager there. And that is the key for having a good time with the service centre. A big Thank You to Linu for helping out and good job Indus Vytilla.

I told them not to do alignment at MASS and took the car to my usual place, DBS at Edappally. The technician there, Mr. Dileep as usual did a very thorough job. He asked me to bring the car back within 1000 KM for a free checkup as they have seen the values changing after the car runs for a bit after a suspension overhaul.

Last edited by deetjohn : 16th March 2013 at 10:52. Reason: Adding text.
Old 18th April 2013, 08:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

I took the car to DBS and the helpful folks there rechecked the alignment and found that the numbers were consistent when compared to last time. It was done FOC.

25000 Update
Took the car to Indus for the routine oil + filter change that I do every 5K KM. It cost me approx 1450 inclusive of taxes. The cost of service has definitely gone up. IIRC, the oil change at 15K KM cost me INR 1200 odd. Now, I am left wondering whether its cost effective to stay with mineral oil every 5K. The synthetic should come to a little over 3K and there is less hassle and of course it is the better oil.

Now, some pictures of the under body when the car was lifted to drain the oil taken with my mobile.

The wind deflector under the front bumper can be seen. Also, the under body covers made of plastic. It is not a guard by any means and just helps the airflow under the car and keeps grime away.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130416-09.32.17.jpg
The left rear. The pipe is of the fuel tank.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130416-09.34.00.jpg
The right rear and the exhaust end can.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130416-09.34.18.jpg
The exhaust routed through the central tunnel and the fuel tank.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130416-09.35.20.jpg

I love to wash the car. It relaxes me no end, keeps the car clean and burns calories. Win win all around. But it is a luxury now a days. Space, time and water becomes a restriction. We visited a relative last weekend where all these limitations were nullified. So, I gave Kungipalu a long wash and both of us were happy.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-20130407-16-v1.jpg
The picture above is touched using my very amateurish photo processing skills. Please excuse.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th April 2013 at 08:27. Reason: typo.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:13   #58
BHPian

Deet, your car looks stunning in the last pic.

How's the engine feeling post the oil change?
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:23   #59

Thanks for regularly updating this thread.

Quote:
I spend the time chatting to the guys there at Pete's and they have a new remap for the Swift. It is done in the UK and takes a day. They send and receive the parameters by mail. The cost is 32K and they offered a discount on the same if I were to give the PSI box in exchange. There is also a 10 day full money back guarantee if I didn't like the map. Sounds very interesting.
Did you go for this remap? If so, did it reduce the NVH levels?
niladri83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 22:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Deet, your car looks stunning in the last pic.

How's the engine feeling post the oil change?
Thanks BigBrad. The engine is so smooth on fresh oil, it purrs! Its a joy to rev the MJD after an oil change. Diesel engines spoil the oil very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niladri83 View Post
Thanks for regularly updating this thread.

Did you go for this remap? If so, did it reduce the NVH levels?
My pleasure. No, I didn't go for the remap. The NVH is bad only when the Pete' box is fitted. So, even that is off the car now. Next investment is a good set of tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks