Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 10:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update

The umpteenth Figo ownership thread I am sure ! I will try to keep this factual and hence potentially boring

The requirement

We had no plans of buying a car.

We were happy with the Baleno and Civic (B & C)

Then sometime around Feb-March, due to certain changes in usage, the cars started clocking in excess of 3000kms per month - combined, with the Baleno being the primary workhorse, piloted mainly by my driver. Quite naturally a new excel workbook and days of data crunching was the fallout.

The results were not very promising. You see, even with the huge monthly running, I still did not have a solid profitable case in going for a diesel. The reason being a reliable Baleno (but getting old), returning 11.5-12kmpl with no EMIs attached to it. EMIs of a new 6L OTR diesel car + diesel expenditure was just about the same as my petrol expenses ! Zero sum game. I procrastinated. The excel workbook became my favourite timepass ! Every other day I used to tweak the numbers half expecting some Hermione spell to conjure up massive savings from the equation, thereby giving me the excuse to buy a car !!

I let a few months flow. Meanwhile petrol prices went up, some car prices went up, road tax in WB went up and finally diesel prices went up too !! And I told myself enough is enough. The math is simple.

With a new car I would potentially get
  • greater reliability since I require near zero downtime
  • take a gamble on the diesel-petrol price differential remaining over the next couple of years
  • a peaceful city go-around workhorse, which I could also entrust to a driver
  • a car that may be cheaper to maintain than the Baleno (in terms of spares)
On the other hand, the risk is in committing to another EMI. What if my usage drops? But then I felt it should not over the next couple of years at the least.

So in effect with a pretty fuel efficient diesel car, I had an equation wherein a 6 to 6.5L OTR car would largely pay for itself, as long as the diesel/petrol differential remains. My finances were already stretched to a breaking point, hence the budget had to be adhered to. Else the equation would fall through.

Thus arrived at my requirements:
  • On road 6.5L diesel
  • Fuel efficiency 16-17+ kmpl
  • ABS and Airbags a must (important point, since I could have otherwise got more options in my budget)
  • Reliable. Needs to be a workhorse for the next 4-5 years @ 30K kms per year. Will keep for around 5 years maybe.
  • Relatively cheap to maintain for the segment
  • Nice to drive, since I will be driving it around 20-25% of it's run
  • As spacious as possible within the budget. Front and Rear (I am 6'2") and Boot for some heavy duty grocery shopping.
  • Decent resale value (in case I need to sell midway)
shuvc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shortlist & Booking

Booking:

The shortlists with an approx 6.5L budget
  • Renault Duster 110 RXZ !!!!! - Haha, I know I know, it's the ICE effect !
  • Vento Highline !!!! - C'mon excel sheets are free !
  • Sunny XV !!! - wifey had once wondered about it, so ...
  • Ertiga ZDi !! - looked fairly practical for my needs
  • Fiesta Classic Titanium D ! - just because I was at the Ford showroom
  • Swift ZDi .. and now we are getting close to reality !
  • Punto 75/90 E
  • Polo TDi
  • Figo Titanium TDCi
Since I was procrastinating for a long time, there was ample time for arm-chair researching all of the above. Mr. Excel kept reminding me that my primary choices would have to be the Swift and the Figo. While the top half of the list above got rejected for being out of budget, I did initially consider all the hatches.

Punto - Was 1L over budget, did not like the gearshift, relatively suspect Fiat after sales in Cal, potential delays in availability of parts leading to downtime.
Polo - Overbudget by a wide margin even after the price correction. Rear seat too cramped. Too much low end lag. Potentially more expensive to maintain over 1-1.5L kms.
i20 - Too expensive. Plus I may have a mental block against Hyundai's.
Liva - Too spartan. Hated it.
Micra/Pulse - did not consider as the top end did not have all safety features, combined with yet to be proven after sales
Vista - Had a Tata once. Not planning to get another one if I can help it !

And hence the following comparo based on what mattered to me.

Swift ZDi
Ticks :
  • Quick,
  • promise of super FE,
  • Smoooooth and quite silent,
  • Effortless steering,
  • Niiiice front seats, overall space is ok,
  • Very good ride and handling,
  • Has OE tweeter pods,
  • All the features I would need,
  • Fab resale value,
  • I had good rapport with Maruti service.
Tocks! :
  • Hello, when can I get one??,
  • High Price,
  • Small boot,
  • Claustrophobic rear seats,
  • Inching in city traffic relatively more difficult than the Figo,
  • Dislike the rear design,
  • Apprehension about rusting (the old one had issues) since the car will not get covered parking

Figo Titanium TDCi (pre-facelift)
Ticks :
  • Cheap !!!!!
  • And then cheaper still due to discounts !!!
  • Peppy,
  • Decent FE,
  • FAB steering/ride/handling combo,
  • Chiller of an AC,
  • Good front seats,
  • Ergonomics mostly spot on (more on this later),
  • Nice airy rear seat,
  • Ok functional interiors,
  • Solid build,
  • Ok resale value,
  • 1.2L km extended warranty,
  • Readily available

Tocks! : (Mainly compared to the Swift)
  • No rear power windows,
  • Noisier,
  • Lower on outright power,
  • Potentially lower FE,
  • Lower resale

Quotes

And then WB tax structure got revised and on road prices increased. The quotes I got in September with 5year road tax.

Swift ZDi - around 7.7L on road incl extended warranty. Zero discounts. Delivery nothing below 4-5 months. At least.

Figo Titanium - 6.84L on road with extended warranty+RSA. Then came the discounts and a final quote of 6.41L + free mats, mud flaps, seat covers !! Considering the MRP of the accessories, almost 50K off the price of a diesel car in these times !! With ready delivery ! Awesome.

The Rs. 1.3L difference with the Swift D coupled with it's indefinite waiting period was too much to ignore. Yes the Swift is better in some respects, but this purchase was primarily budget driven and that extra 1.3L would have thrown up a bright red in the excel !!

With the Figo facelift due anyday with no significant upgrades, I knew this 50K was an unexpected one-off bonus for the current model. And hence took the plunge.

Last edited by shuvc : 20th October 2012 at 12:50.
shuvc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dealership experience & Delivery

I was initially interacting with the newer dealer - Kaikan Ford - close to my place. They were very courteous and proactive during the whole process. Test Drives were prompt. Routes were fixed by me. Nothing to complain at all. They gave me a final quote.

I then approached the other dealer - Ganges Ford. They are old, and big in the East. Yet another pleasant experience. Very open and honest sales guy. Gave me a quote lesser than Kaikan. I had kept both of them aware that I was talking simultaneously to both. Mentioned the Ganges quote to Kaikan. They took a day and then politely informed me that they were unable to match it.

So closed the deal with Ganges Ford. The whole purchase process was smooth. I asked for another TD. Booked with 5K. I wanted the VIN number, and it was sent to me promptly on allocation. It's a Sep'12 car. I wanted to see the car before registration - on a Sunday afternoon. And they accommodated asking the yard-in-charge to hang on for a while longer so that I could visit. The car was ready on the promised date with everything in place. I went in at the scheduled time just as they were opening for the day and drove out 45mins later after completing all paperwork.

The day after delivery I found that the coolant level was just a bit above the minimum mark. Went to the workshop on a Sunday. I was told Sunday there are hardly any cars that come and hence they run a lean operation. However I was tended to promptly and I was out in an hour. The paperwork took longer than the top-up.

Not a single glitch from the dealership. Every commitment was kept. I was frankly surprised. My initiation into the Ford family has been a happy experience !! Touch wood.

"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update-copy-20121012_101836.jpg

"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update-copy-20121012_101553.jpg

"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update-copy-20121018_163902.jpg

Last edited by shuvc : 20th October 2012 at 11:22.
shuvc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

First week of ownership (City, Highway, Rain & Sunshine)

First week of ownership (City, Highway, Rain & Sunshine)

"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update-copy-20121018_164005.jpg

Dart !!

I was wondering about a name for the car. And Dart came naturally. It just loves to dart around !

It's a week since Dart arrived and a fairly busy week it has been. It has been immediately put to test and subjected to a variety of conditions ...
  • 1000kms in 7 days !!
  • Millimetering (inching is faast!) small town traffic (resulting in the first scratch too)
  • Butter smooth highways. Just saw 140 once though. Else was in brisk mode at 80-120.
  • Roads that are no more roads ! Including crashing through a 'crater' at 80kmph. And then the famed rear mudflap coming loose in another scenario.
  • Prolonged torrential rain (in fact the first instance was within 10minutes of driving out from the showroom !)
  • Night driving within City and on Highways
  • With and without AC in all the situations mentioned above
  • Kid throwing tantrums inside and kicking anything that is kickable !

The forum has a wealth of content on the virtues and shortcomings of the car, hence I will skip the generic stuff and focus on what matters to me.

Impressed with .....
  • Steering. This had to come first I guess! It's so true. Joy to use. And the design of the wheel is very nice too. I am glad that all 3 cars in my garage have HPS.
  • Gearshift. Love it. Precise and with a hint of heaviness. Reminded me of the Mitsu Lancer/Cedia, though they probably have a truer 'click' along with the 'weight', if you know what I mean.
  • Brakes. Well modulated and stops with no drama. Does its job very well.
  • Chuckability. This particularly, is intoxicating
  • Ride. Is a bit stiff but I like it this way. Soaks up rough roads very well, without me hearing the suspension go about its job. The composure is confidence inspiring.
  • Driveability. Being my first diesel ever, it took a bit of time to get the hang of staying in the power band. Now it's real fun.
  • AC. What a chiller. And I have really good reference points in the garage with the B&C.
  • Space. It does offer a lot of legroom in its price range.
  • Lane changing indicator. I use indicators a lot. And I had always missed this feature in the cars I have had till date.
  • Wiper speeds. Thankfully is the same as the Baleno. I miss the intermittent speed setting in the Civic.
  • Ergonomics. Well most of it at least. The steering/gearshift/pedals nicely fall into place. I really liked how easy it is to reach the AC on/off and the stereo on/off switches with the index finger, with the palm resting normally on the gearshift. And the front seat headrests are fairly tall. Taller than it is in the Baleno. Gives a feeling of overall support. All round visibility is very good too. And it helps that the bonnet is visible while driving.

Not impressed with .....
  • Ergonomics !! Let me continue on this point. In 1 week I am yet to find a comfy seating position. On the highway drive I had a bit of back ache. Yes the seats are narrower and had less under thigh support compared to the B&C. But still ... I am not passing a final judgement on this though. I recall having initial back aches in the Civic too and then it got sorted out. Absence of a dead pedal is also inconvenient.
  • Fuel Efficiency !! I've done 2 top-ups. Both after 400+kms
    * 13.2kmpl. Totally in the city. 75% AC. (I get 11.5 in the Baleno. Same route.)
    * 17.7kmpl. Long highway drive. 75% AC. Mostly at 100-110kmph. Typically shifted at 2K rpm max, if not earlier.
    I was expecting at least 3kmpl more in both cases. Since FE is among the primary reasons for this purchase ! Should I expect it to increase after a while?
  • There's a hollow-boom .. sounds like 'whhhommmm' around 2K rpm. Does this have something to do with the turbo? This happens only when driving. Revving at idle does not produce the sound. Quite irritating.
  • The seat belt retracts too fast ! And the buckle bangs against the B pillar. This will surely damage the plastic someday. And they are not adjustable.
  • Wipers. No issues with their effectiveness. It's just that there's an irritating squishy noise at the end of the downward sweep.
  • Rear seat backrest height. Wish it had headrests.
  • Amber backlight for the instrument cluster. Just don't like it. Period.
  • A proper Multi-Info display would have been nice
  • No arm rest. Yeah yeah, I am spoilt. But I initially had a bit of left hand/shoulder ache. Too much of exercise for the left hand (add the indicators too) and no rest.
  • Noise. Engine is really noisy from outside. But I knew this. It does become surprisingly quiet when driving.
  • Noise again. There is some amount of wind/tyre/engine/combo noise at 100-110 cruising speeds. Though I must say the MRF ZV2Ks felt fine for all practical purposes.

Having said that, there's nothing 'major' to complain about Dart though. Promises to be a very practical workhorse. That it is also quite good for highway cruising is a bonus. Killer price. My requirements seem to have been met very well. Just need the killer FE to kick in, lol !

Thanks for reading patiently - if you managed to read through till here !

ps: Loads of thanks to Kolkata t-bhp gang for their inputs and bearing with my never ending procrastinating !! And also to all forum members who contribute to Figo threads. There is so much info that I never felt the need to create a What car thread here.

Last edited by shuvc : 20th October 2012 at 12:56.
shuvc is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 18:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: "Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 10,000 km Update

Thread moved from Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 19:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

shuvc - congrats on your buy and let me tell you - i am working with a similar XL sheet these days - my running has increased and i am tempted to go for a diesel car instead of my i10. just wanted to know from you
1) why did you not consider a used diesel car ? say a 2/3 yr old diesel hatch ?
2) the most FE diesel small car is missing in your shortlist - Beat - why ?
3) any reason why you dint consider the lower variants of the Figo ?

your answers might help my decision making- Thanks !
Old 20th October 2012, 19:15   #7
BHPian

shuvc,
Congrats on acquiring the most VFM diesel hatch (according to me) in the Indian market!!!
Wish you lots and lots of miles and smiles with the car.
Suggest to change the ZV2Ks. I changed those on my ride and the reduction in road noise was really noticable.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2012 at 20:33. Reason: Typo
pradyblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hearty Congrats shuvc. Owning a Civic myself and having driven the Figo on an extensive highway drive, I was completely impressed with the latter's perfect tuning of ride, handling and steering. There is some magic that Ford does in its cars that make each one of them a superb driver's car. That apart, the Figo will also make you happy in terms of space, fuel-efficiency and value-for-money too.

Your write-up was straight to the point and I loved your narration.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 19:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
1) why did you not consider a used diesel car ? say a 2/3 yr old diesel hatch ?
2) the most FE diesel small car is missing in your shortlist - Beat - why ?
3) any reason why you dint consider the lower variants of the Figo ?

your answers might help my decision making- Thanks !
Thanks !!

1. I needed a reliable car that would run 1L kms in 3 years. Else I could have stuck to the baleno.
a) A used diesel would already have clocked quite some kms
b) Used diesels have high resale value. It's better to buy new.
c) Used car loans are expensive. I availed of a company lease scheme.

2. Beat not considered since the rear seat needed to be spacious. Rear seat will be used a lot.

3. Lower variants of all hatches were not considered since I wanted ABS and twin Airbags.
Old 21st October 2012, 08:20   #10
BHPian

Wonderful review ShuvC. I am particularly glad to hear that Ganges Ford although being the largest in Kolkata gave you a memorable experience. I had dropped in once on a Sunday there and even though it was officially closed, there was somebody who politely answered all our queries.

I too liked the practicality of the Figo over all other hatches given its price point. It deserves to sell in much higher numbers I think. Probably lack of push from Ford coupled with its image of higher cost of ownership is holding it back. The FE should go up given the route you use for office, I don't think you are flogging it. Typically in B2B traffic in my commute I tend to get a measly 12 on the Vento and you know how bad it is in my route. If your daily running is in the Rajarhat area it should easily return 15-16 if not more. Also what tire pressures are you using?

I recently got to know that the company lease route results in tax benefits. Is that true? Wishing you lots of happy inexpensive miles as petrol-diesel price differential is here to stay at least till the next elections if not longer .
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ohhh Nooo - You sold the Baleno? How much did you get for it?

Congratulations. agree Figo is an amazing small hatch.

Me running same combination (B & C), but for now Fuel expenses are kind of in control, but me too thinking about post Baleno setup. At 70K it is running well but another 10-20 K and it would be time to move on.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
Suggest to change the ZV2Ks. I changed those on my ride and the reduction in road notice was really noticable.
I did deliberate on this a lot and even went to the extent of finalising an exchange deal at a Yoko shop. But then backed out. The car will hardly see the highway. It'll be used sedately within city 99% of it's life and will rarely cross 80kmph. Hence decided to wear out this set of MRFs and then switch. With the high running, the MRFs may need to be changed in 1.5years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Hearty Congrats shuvc. Owning a Civic myself and having driven the Figo on an extensive highway drive, I was completely impressed with the latter's perfect tuning of ride, handling and steering
True. It specially feels wonderful in the 80-120kmph zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
The FE should go up given the route you use for office, I don't think you are flogging it. Typically in B2B traffic in my commute I tend to get a measly 12 on the Vento and you know how bad it is in my route. If your daily running is in the Rajarhat area it should easily return 15-16 if not more. Also what tire pressures are you using?

I recently got to know that the company lease route results in tax benefits. Is that true? Wishing you lots of happy inexpensive miles as petrol-diesel price differential is here to stay at least till the next elections if not longer .
I sure hope I see 16-17kmpl average FE. Else I'm done for !!

Yes, there are some tax benefits to be had in the lease scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Ohhh Nooo - You sold the Baleno? How much did you get for it?

Congratulations. agree Figo is an amazing small hatch.

Me running same combination (B & C), but for now Fuel expenses are kind of in control, but me too thinking about post Baleno setup. At 70K it is running well but another 10-20 K and it would be time to move on.
@mayank ! Nooooo ! Baleno is still with me ! And possibly will be till some Baleno lover offers to pay handsomely for it . The car still runs fine. But I was apprehensive of possible downtime for maintenance that will crop up more often with the high running. Recently heard that the ORVM prices have increased from 5.5k each to around 9K!!
Old 21st October 2012, 15:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: First week of ownership (City, Highway, Rain & Sunshine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I really liked how easy it is to reach the AC on/off and the stereo on/off switches with the index finger, with the palm resting normally on the gearshift. And the front seat headrests are fairly tall.
Completely agree here. I drive a ZDi as well and save for better bolstered front seats, I find the Figo to be better.

Quote:
Ergonomics !! Let me continue on this point. In 1 week I am yet to find a comfy seating position. On the highway drive I had a bit of back ache. Yes the seats are narrower and had less under thigh support compared to the B&C. But still
Yes, the other driver's seat is more comfortable. I keep driving Swift/Scorpio on and off and find them better. Figo is behind, but just.

Quote:
Fuel Efficiency !! I've done 2 top-ups. Both after 400+kms

* 13.2kmpl. Totally in the city. 75% AC. (I get 11.5 in the Baleno. Same route.)

* 17.7kmpl. Long highway drive. 75% AC. Mostly at 100-110kmph. Typically shifted at 2K rpm max, if not earlier.

I was expecting at least 3kmpl more in both cases. Since FE is among the primary reasons for this purchase ! Should I expect it to increase after a while?
Keep varying the revs, I do anything between 2,000 to 2,300 revs and get 18+. No, that 20+ FE is an illusion. The ZDi has clocked 11,000kms as well and it is giving the same FE.
Agree to all your negative points*, seems you are using the Figo for quite sometime now

* That whoom sound isn't in my Car and with close to 18K, my MRF is yet to see air pressure drop, precisely the reason I am sticking with them.

And yes, a big Congratulations !!!

Last edited by Sheel : 21st October 2012 at 15:46.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: First week of ownership (City, Highway, Rain & Sunshine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Keep varying the revs, I do anything between 2,000 to 2,300 revs and get 18+. No, that 20+ FE is an illusion. The ZDi has clocked 11,000kms as well and it is giving the same FE.....

And yes, a big Congratulations !!!
Thank you !

You mean it's more fuel efficient to shift in the turbo zone? In the city, I'm shifting just between 1500 to 2000.

I'd be very happy with 17kmpl in the city with 50-60% AC. Now it seems it's around 2-3kmpl short of that target. One reason could be that in open stretches in 5th gear, it effortlessly goes upto 90-100kmph. The same stretches where I had adjusted to driving at 70-80 with the B & C. Probably 60-80 is the sweet spot for the Figo?

Your ZDi and Figo gives the same FE? I had a perception that the Swift should be around 2kmpl more !
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the 3rd car! Which car stays where: B, C, D! You definitely need an A soon

Wish you happy miles ahead! Too bad, there is not another 75.4 with you! Happy fun with ICE work at MnG
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed