Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 13:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
No such issues with the Superb 2012's AC. Cools well even in 46 degrees here in Meerut. Wonder why? Are they using different compressor in the cars that are supposed to clone each other for most parts?
And that is why my uncle bought a 2012 Superb 2.0 TDI just before the 2012 budget last year.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Congrats on your latest buy Fordfreak.

It was brilliant seeing it keep up with the E's and the Evoque at the last Team-Bhp meet.
Your photoshoot is still due.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Try getting the cabin pollen filter changed, it made a big difference to my Jetta A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That may work but I highly doubt it will make a big difference. The weak AC was the main reason my uncle dismissed the Passat. Test drove in Kolkata march summer and it was not able to cool the back at all.
Thanks guys! Will try and see if this makes any difference. The issue with the AC at the rear is that the blowers are very weak. At full blast, the people in front will have frozen by the time the rear passengers get comfortable. But once the cabin is cooled, the AC does a good job of maintaining the temperature level. Also, having vents on the B-pillar would have probably helped in cooling the cabin in the rear more uniformly. (Noticed this on my friend's Superb).

Quote:
No such issues with the Superb 2012's AC. Cools well even in 46 degrees here in Meerut. Wonder why? Are they using different compressor in the cars that are supposed to clone each other for most parts?
I had a chance to sit in my friend's Superb. One thing I noted in the Superb (which isn't there in the Passat), were the AC vents on the B-Pillar. They did a superb job of cooling the rear uniformly. Wish the Passat came with these as well as a stronger compressor as well. Would you have any idea if it is possible to swap the compressor from a Superb to a Passat? (No going to try it obviously, just curious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats on your latest buy Fordfreak.

It was brilliant seeing it keep up with the E's and the Evoque at the last Team-Bhp meet.
Your photoshoot is still due.
Thanks buddy! Was nice to meet a number of you that day. Had a good time despite it being freezing that morning! We will catch up once I'm back after the 10th of June
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 11:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I had a chance to sit in my friend's Superb. One thing I noted in the Superb (which isn't there in the Passat), were the AC vents on the B-Pillar. They did a superb job of cooling the rear uniformly. Wish the Passat came with these as well as a stronger compressor as well. Would you have any idea if it is possible to swap the compressor from a Superb to a Passat? (No going to try it obviously, just curious)
I don't see why not. It will cost you, but the underlying engineering in both the cars is exactly the same. Don't get fooled by people who tell you otherwise. The engines may be in different state of tunes but they are the same engines. The compressor swap therefore should not be a big deal. Also if you have extended warranty on your car or the standard warranty still remains then you may demand that upgrade for free too from VW. Though nowadays I find VW service less pro-active than Skoda's and they might dilly dally on giving you the free upgrade. But I have seen people getting it for free from Skoda.

However I doubt, if the compressors too in both cars don't turn out to be the same. I know for a fact that Superb's compressors were upgraded to a better one post 2012, the same should have happened to the Passat. Then what may be the reason for the lower cooling is a mystery.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see why not. It will cost you, but the underlying engineering in both the cars is exactly the same. Don't get fooled by people who tell you otherwise. The engines may be in different state of tunes but they are the same engines. The compressor swap therefore should not be a big deal. Also if you have extended warranty on your car or the standard warranty still remains then you may demand that upgrade for free too from VW. Though nowadays I find VW service less pro-active than Skoda's and they might dilly dally on giving you the free upgrade. But I have seen people getting it for free from Skoda.

However I doubt, if the compressors too in both cars don't turn out to be the same. I know for a fact that Superb's compressors were upgraded to a better one post 2012, the same should have happened to the Passat. Then what may be the reason for the lower cooling is a mystery.
Thanks dkaile! Will dig a bit deeper into this. I know as you pointed out that both of these cars share a lot of their components. I had my Passat delivered in December 2011. I reckon this may have been before the compressor update. Will talk to the dealer to see if the Passat got this update like the Superb. If so, then can I get the compressor swapped to upgraded version. Though I'm not keen on sending my car to the dealer unless it's for a service or major repairs (not been too happy with their way of working).

Cheers!
Old 4th June 2013, 15:07   #21
BHPian

So after one and a half years of trouble free running. The Beast seems to have caught it's first bug.

Was driving home last evening and suddenly I get a bunch of warning lights and messages popping up on the dash. Luckily I was just 1 km away from my destination.

The Optical-Parking system, Parking Sensors, Tyre-Pressure Monitoring System (TMPS), ABS, ESC, Auto-Hold Function and Bend/Cornering-Lights are not working. Have spoken to the dealer, waiting to see what their diagnosis is. A tad bit nervous since I will be abroad from tomorrow for 5 days and the car will be with the dealer. Just hope they treat it well and fix it once and for all. I'm hoping it may just be a blown fuse, but not sure since I didn't check the fuse-box myself.

Lets hope this is just a one-off issue and nothing serious. Pictures attached are of the warnings that popped up on the MID.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-2.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-3.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-4.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-5.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-6.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-7.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 15:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

^
This sometimes happens due to battery being low in charge. All sorts of errors creep up like ESC etc.. Happened once to my Superb too - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2920995
Old 11th June 2013, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Returned home after a 5 day vacation to find the Beast back home, running and healthy again! Was anxious when I sent the car to the dealer, especially since I would not even be in town while the work was being done. No complaints whatsoever this time. I explained the problem to them over the phone and mailed them the pictures of the warning lights on the instrument console. An appointment was promptly book and the car sent to the garage the day I flew out of the city on holiday.

Work was started the same day (they called to confirm this with my office person) and the car was delivered back the very next day! All systems working as desired and no issues to report. The car was given back in a clean state without any of the usual issues of the car being filthy post-repair.

The work was billed at about Rs.3,500, but didn't have to pay anything since the car was under warranty. Turns out that the problem was some failed sensor. Haven't had a chance to look at the details of the invoice for the work done yet, but that is what my driver told me.

Quote:
^
This sometimes happens due to battery being low in charge. All sorts of errors creep up like ESC etc.. Happened once to my Superb too - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2920995
My car is driven daily, so the issue of low-usage is pretty much ruled out. I had checked the fuses, but found nothing amiss there. Thankfully it seems to have been a minor sensor fault. Driven 100 kms since the problem cropped up and all seems to be well for now.

Cheers!
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After-Sales-Service is not up to the mark
Fordfreak I just came across your thread through another.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on the above, Perhaps compare it to Toyota's service experience through your corolla?
I would like to know in what way is VWs service inferior to Toyota.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Fordfreak I just came across your thread through another.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on the above, Perhaps compare it to Toyota's service experience through your corolla?
I would like to know in what way is VWs service inferior to Toyota.
Thanks in Advance.
Hi Maky

I'll elaborate about my experience with VW and then go on to compare it with Toyota.

Volkswagen :-
(This happened sometime when the Passat was about 6-7 months old). The left-rear suspension started creaking. This sound was not too audible, but started getting worse within a fortnight of occurring. So I called the dealer (OSL Exclusive, Kolkata) and fixed an appointment for the car to be taken in for repairs. Though they managed to fix the problem, the state they gave my car back in was shocking!

1. The VW Emblem on the key-fob was missing and had been conveniently concealed using a tape with the car's number written on it (they probably used it to prevent car keys from getting mixed up at the garage).

2. The Revers-Camera + Parking sensors were not functioning. My driver spotted this while taking delivery and forced them to rectify it on the spot.

3. The car was EXTREMELY dirty! There were grease hand prints on the roof-lining and water marks on the edges of the rear windshield.

Problems 1 & 3 were noticed the next morning once the car was driven. The dealer returned the car during the evening, so it was too dark to notice these.

After bringing these to the dealer's notice, the service personnel agreed to rectify them all provided we pay for the emblem and cleaning! This got me extremely enraged. I am not a person who would try and get a free Rs.100 emblem after paying for a car like that! However after escalating the matters further up the management at the dealership, these were rectified for free. This entire process took about a week.

Once the car completed 1 year, it was time for it's first service. The dealer quoted 17k for it. The job was done properly, but again the car was returned in a messy condition (though not as sever as the first instance). I let this matter pass and got my driver to give it the thorough cleaning the next day.

However, on a positive note, the dealer did a very professional job fixing and returning the car earlier this month after a bunch of warning lights popped up on the dash (as posted above). The car was returned in a day and was clean too. I hope this isn't a one-off experience and that they have actually pulled up their socks!

Coming to Toyota :-
I have been associated with the brand and this dealer (Topsel Toyota, Kolkata) since November 2004 when we bought our old Corolla and then our Altis in December 2010.

Their work has been up-to-the-mark most of the times. They return the car after service on time and do a follow up with my office when it is ready for collection, etc. In terms of returning a clean car after service/repair, I would give them a 6.5/10. Its not the best, but nor is it an absolute disaster.

The only major blooper I have had with them was when I sent my Altis for repairs after a sweet cabbie decided he wanted to get close and comfy with my car's left front door. The paint was very badly mis-matched! So much, that I spotted the difference in the dark! This was pointed out to them and promptly fixed at no further cost to us.

While I accept that a dealer may make a mistake or overlook something at times, it is more important how they resolve the situation. I don't blow my head at them for every small thing since they too are human. But if they start making excuses and pass the blame around, that really gets my blood boiling.

Volkswagen seems to be improving, but will decide on this once I send the Passat for the 2nd service sometime in December. Toyota has been more consistent compared to VW, but that doesn't mean they have not made any mistakes. Handling situations is where Toyota's service scores over the guys at Volkswagen.

I hope my reply was detailed enough.

Cheers!
fordfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 20:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maky

I'll elaborate about my experience with VW and then go on to compare it with Toyota....

I hope my reply was detailed enough.

Cheers!
Very Good Thank you!
After reading Your VW experience didn't scare me as I initially thought it would. The work done was satisfactory just a bit of dirt here and there : ). I originally thought you had issues with spares waiting period or very bad service.

Last edited by Maky : 22nd June 2013 at 20:39.
Old 5th October 2013, 13:21   #27
BHPian

15,000 Km (almost) Update:-

Car driving great as ever. But a couple of old issues seem to have returned.

The Left-Rear suspension is creaking again. The dealership had solved this issue earlier with some lubrication, etc. Suspect it is the same.

More annoyingly, the Parking-Sensors (OPS), Park-Assist, Rear-view Camera have all stopped working! A few months ago, the instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree with numerous warning lights indicating various issues. Last time the Auto-hold, ESP and E-brake were affected too (not on this occasion though). I suspect it is some sensor failure again, like last time.

Though these will be fixed under warranty, it is nevertheless annoying that they have cropped up a second time.

Will be getting the Tyre-Pressure-Monitoring System (TPMS) checked out as well. I have had to refill my tyres very frequently and the system shows no signs of any loss in tyre pressure! No warning or indication about the system having a problem too. At the same time will get my tyres checked too. It is pretty strange that all 4 tyres seem to be leaking! (some more quickly than the other, but all 4 are leaking!)

The 30,000km/2-year service is due in about 70 days from today. Let's see how that experience goes.

Also need suggestions on a peculiar issue.

My driver seems to have a pretty bad sweating problem. Now every time I switch on the Seat-Coolers on the Driver seat, it gives out an UNBEARABLE STINK!! I have used enough of smell-fresheners, but the switching on the Seat-Coolers renders them useless due to the intensity of the smell! This issue obviously isn't there on the front passenger seat. How could I fix this? (Apart from giving the driver bottles of Deodrants, which I already have. And firing the poor chap isn't an option too )

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-2.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 13:13   #28
BHPian

Finally got the problems pointed out in my previous post, fixed!

Had a mixed experience with the Service Centre. Had sent the car with complaints of air-loss from tyres and the problems relating to the TPMS & Parking Sensors + Camera. The Service Advisor got back to me after keeping the car at the workshop for the day.

The problem of the Parking Sensors & TPMS was diagnosed as a faulty sensor (which had to be ordered and would take about 14 days to arrive). On the other hand, he said that they had deflated all the 4 tyres and refilled them again to solve the problem of air-loss! I didn't bother pushing him further on this since I knew it was utter BS! I mean how does he expect the leak to be fixed by merely deflating and re-inflating the tyres?

I got a call from the SA as promised, after about 10 days; saying that the part had arrived. Gave the car in on the 4th of October and got a call the same evening saying the job had been done. Fixed up with them to pick up the car the next morning at 11:00 am.

Since my driver was on vacation from the 5th onwards, I had to go pick the car up from the garage. This was the first time I had been to the Service Centre to pick up my car. It wasn't too hard to find my way there, but was a nightmare negotiating the craters on the road leading up to the workshop. I have never driven on such PATHETIC roads EVER before! I was considering asking the SA to get a flat-bed to take my car up till the main-road before I would drive it back!

I reached the workshop at 10:50 am and waited about 5-7 minutes before the SA got the car out. It was very dusty on the outside and the floor-mats & carpets were very dirty. He got the entire car hoovered and wiped with me watching the whole process. I was satisfied with the end result. The paper work was promptly sorted out and the overall experience was positive. Would rate the experience as 7/10.

On the way out, I ended up scraping the bottom of the car about 7 times before I reached smooth tarmac! Great strategy to get return business for the workshop. The VW and BMW showrooms are owned by the same group in Calcutta. Also, the BMW stockyard and Service Centre are right next to the VW Service Centre. I dread to think what those spanking-new Beemers go through on their way to the stock-yard/SC.

I had the tyres checked up at a reputed petrol station and they managed to find to pins lodged in 2 of the tyres (surprise surprise!). I haven't had to get the air topped up in the tyres since then.

2-year/30,000 km service due in a month. Let's see how that goes!

Attached a picture of the beast while taking delivery at the Service Centre after repairs.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-photo-3.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 05:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see OSL up on their poor tactics.

Our Vento TDI too keeps giving us problems but since we know the Service GM well and since many years, the problems get resolved really quickly.
This is one the major reasons why I am avoiding buying a VW in the future.

If you need any help with the GM to get issues solved, let me know.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Sad to see OSL up on their poor tactics.

Our Vento TDI too keeps giving us problems but since we know the Service GM well and since many years, the problems get resolved really quickly.
This is one the major reasons why I am avoiding buying a VW in the future.

If you need any help with the GM to get issues solved, let me know.
Thanks Buddy!

I didn't bother raising the issue since it was minor. Though I didn't like the fact that the SA tried to BS his way out. Since the overall visit was satisfactory, I let it slide. Hopefully won't have to send the car to the workshop for anything other than it's annual service

See you in December? Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks