Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 20:35   #211
Team-BHP Support

re: My BRUTE-FORT: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T [Upgraded Brake Booster & A/T Tyres] EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
I remember when the Qualis was stopped there was a problem in parts after a few years.
No, you still get all parts including body panels at Dealerships. Some of the stuff though is expensive perhaps due to imported components but you also get equivalents in the local market, there are still many Taxis running with million Plus Kms. Do factor, Qualis was here only for few years and the number of Qualis sold vs Fortuner will be by a factor of 10. If Mileage is actually 60,000 go ahead without second thoughts, though this looks too less. Do check service records and ownership history. Multiple owners, missing comprehensive insurances and gap between service records easily can point to a tempered Odo reading. Do see if you can extend your budget and pick 2,2 4x4 Manual Endeavour

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th December 2016 at 20:37.
Old 25th December 2016, 21:47   #212
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: My BRUTE-FORT: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T [Upgraded Brake Booster & A/T Tyres] EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do see if you can extend your budget and pick 2,2 4x4 Manual Endeavour
Please check the Endeavour thread. ruzbehxyz had booked an Endeavour and then canceled it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4114568
Old 25th December 2016, 22:06   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please check the Endeavour thread. ruzbehxyz had booked an Endeavour and then canceled it.
oh, but from a new 3,2 Auto to an Old Fortuner? Anyways, someone who is paranoid of picking something manufactured 9 months ago, it will be difficult to pick a 7-Year-old vehicle unless it's in top condition and in known circle. I won't be surprised if this is tempered Odo case, 10 K per Year for Fortuner is too low. But if this is indeed a 60 K Truck, and is available at 12-15 Lac then does make a case.

FORD guys needs to learn from Toyota, they had Zero spillover of Innova and Fortuner when they launched new ones despite producing 10 X vehicles. Perhaps they keep on producing endeavours from the kits they imported and didn't adjust imports or production. Worst when they came up with offers, they should have been clear to customers especially the ones who made queries relating to the manufacturing dates.
Old 10th January 2017, 14:23   #214
AAD
BHPian

Hi Karan,

Firstly belated congratulations on getting the New Fortuner. I have been following this thread closely for a while & it has been a source of knowledge for me.

I wanted to know your views & experience of the Continental Cross Contact A/T tyres that you used on the old Fortuner. I have the Old Fortuner 4x4 Auto & my car has currently done about 38000 kms. Current set of tyres look good for another 10-12000 kms so I am trying to develop more understanding if I should stick to the stock tyres or look for something else.

I have read about Yokohoma Geolanders on some other fortuner threads & I got the impression that it is not the best solution particularly in view of the soft sidewalls.

While I don't do serious off roading, I do take my fortuner off road at every available opportunity & wouldn't want to compromise on it offroadability due to tyre issues.

I could sense from your comments about the Conti Cross Contact A/T tyres that they were a better alternative than both the stock Dunlop & Yokohoma Geolanders. Is my understanding correct?

I also do a lot of driving between Mumbai Nashik & Mumbai Pune & one of my concern during Monsoon period is the ability of the tyres to prevent aqua planing. What is your experience with the Conti's in rain?

Finally, I believe the Conti's have stiffer sidewalls as compared to the stock Dunlop's & I wonder if that resulted in a stiffer ride as compared to stock tyres?

Thanks in advance & wishing you miles of safe, enjoyable, responsible off roading.

Cheers,
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 11:36   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Hi Karan,
Firstly belated congratulations on getting the New Fortuner. I have been following this thread closely for a while & it has been a source of knowledge for me.
Thanks !

Quote:
I wanted to know your views & experience of the Continental Cross Contact A/T tyres that you used on the old Fortuner. I have the Old Fortuner 4x4 Auto & my car has currently done about 38000 kms. Current set of tyres look good for another 10-12000 kms so I am trying to develop more understanding if I should stick to the stock tyres or look for something else.
The Continentals are unparalleled in this category, read the full review in my thread here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...contact-t.html

Quote:
I have read about Yokohoma Geolanders on some other fortuner threads & I got the impression that it is not the best solution particularly in view of the soft sidewalls.
True !

Quote:
While I don't do serious off roading, I do take my fortuner off road at every available opportunity & wouldn't want to compromise on it offroadability due to tyre issues.
Same, hence the Continentals would work well for you.

Quote:
I could sense from your comments about the Conti Cross Contact A/T tyres that they were a better alternative than both the stock Dunlop & Yokohoma Geolanders. Is my understanding correct?
Correct !

Quote:
I also do a lot of driving between Mumbai Nashik & Mumbai Pune & one of my concern during Monsoon period is the ability of the tyres to prevent aqua planing. What is your experience with the Conti's in rain?
Aqua Planing resistance property is better in the Continentals compared to stock Dunlops because of the groove design.
Quote:
Finally, I believe the Conti's have stiffer sidewalls as compared to the stock Dunlop's & I wonder if that resulted in a stiffer ride as compared to stock tyres?
May be, but you can reduce the tyre pressure to 29 psi & it will solve the problem
Old 11th January 2017, 18:25   #216
AAD
BHPian

Hi Karan,

Thanks for clarifying all my doubts in favour of the Continental Tyres. Any good place you could suggest to buy from? Price per tyre, roughly?
Old 12th January 2017, 17:56   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karan,

Thanks for clarifying all my doubts in favour of the Continental Tyres. Any good place you could suggest to buy from? Price per tyre, roughly?

I had purchased these tyres for around INR 12.5k/tyre.

Today im not sure what the pricing is but you can expect it to be under 15k/tyre
Old 14th January 2017, 23:47   #218
AAD
BHPian

Thanks Karan. One of my concern after going through your thread on the tyres is the reduction in fuel efficiency.

As it is my automatic returns about 8.75-9.0 kmpl and that since most of my driving is on highways.

Should I be expecting another reduction in this already low figure?
Old 16th January 2017, 20:49   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should I be expecting another reduction in this already low figure?
You can expect aprox 5% drop in the FE with this tyre as its heavier.

BUT with most of the good A/T tyres the story remains the same.
Old 22nd January 2017, 15:11   #220
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
You can expect aprox 5% drop in the FE with this tyre as its heavier.

BUT with most of the good A/T tyres the story remains the same.

Noted. Thanks Karan for your assistance.

Once I actually change, I will keep the forum posted about the performance particularly via a vis the stock Dunlops.
Old 11th April 2017, 15:12   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Service Update !

Update: 80,000km Service

Jobs Done;

- Engine oil change
- Oil filter change
- Brake Fluid change
- Gear oil change (Second Time, 1st was at 40,000 kms)
- Differential oil change (1st Time)
- Power Steering Fluid Top Up
- Brakes Cleaned
- Regular Wash, check up etc ...

Total Bill Amount - INR 8686/- (Inclusive of Taxes)

After this service drove the car for about 5 km & the car feels good as new. This is the beauty of a TOYOTA

Last edited by karan561 : 11th April 2017 at 15:31.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 18:02   #222
Team-BHP Support

What differences you find between both, now, since you have logged in few kms.
Old 13th April 2017, 13:52   #223
Senior - BHPian

Re: Service Update !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Update: 80,000km Service

Jobs Done;

- Engine oil change
- Oil filter change
- Brake Fluid change
- Gear oil change (Second Time, 1st was at 40,000 kms)
- Differential oil change (1st Time)
- Power Steering Fluid Top Up
- Brakes Cleaned
- Regular Wash, check up etc ...

Total Bill Amount - INR 8686/- (Inclusive of Taxes)

After this service drove the car for about 5 km & the car feels good as new. This is the beauty of a TOYOTA
What about prop shaft lubrication? Did you that done? Also, did you change the front differential oil?
Old 13th April 2017, 16:04   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Service Update !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What differences you find between both, now, since you have logged in few kms.
The new one is more refined, smoother & faster compared to the old gen.

Looks wise i have accepted the way the new one looks & may sell the old now.

Interiors are better in the new compared to the old as its better equipped and more features.

Handling in corers the old is better as its full time 4wd (which is the biggest miss in the new gen.) The new will be less easy to drive fast in the rains i believe.

Both feel like you are driving a TRUCK but the old one gives you a more raw feel (Good, but many people wont connect with this feeling, for them they should just go and buy a Santa Fe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
What about prop shaft lubrication? Did you that done? Also, did you change the front differential oil?
Propeller shaft greasing wasn't required.

Yes as ours is a 4x4 the front & rear both differentials oil was changed
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 15:44   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Just clicked this pic;

My BRUTE-FORT: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T [Upgraded Brake Booster & A/T Tyres] EDIT: Now sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500372811.153820.jpg

Still looks so fresh & strong
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks